As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Avengers: AvX CHAMPIONS. "wedabes" declares Captain America.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I still find it kind of silly to leap to that particular conclusion

the comic doesn't say HE IS BLACKER DUE TO BURNS

it says he got burns and then is darker in the next scene(which is a coloring thing that happens to characters quite often, honestly)

I mean it is kinda sloppy but I really don't think between Yost, Bunn and Fraction one of them would go YEAH HE BECOMES EVEN MORE BLACK VIA HORRIBLE BURNS THAT SOMEHOW GO ACROSS HIS WHOLE BODY

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    One thing that pleased me about the Battle Scars ending spoilers...
    That the architects from Hickman's SHIELD make themselves know. That concept and those characters are way too good not to be used in other stories by other writers.
    I am pretty sure he meant The Marvel Architects. As in Bendis, Fraction, Hickman, Brubaker and Aaron.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    That the architects from Hickman's SHIELD make themselves know. That concept and those characters are way too good not to be used in other stories by other writers.
    I am pretty sure he meant The Marvel Architects. As in Bendis, Fraction, Hickman, Brubaker and Aaron.

Oh. Never mind then.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I'm kind of sad to see the old Nick Fury retiring. I can accept Fury, Jr. taking over SHIELD, but I kind of hope the original sticks around, in the shadows, doing his Secret Warriors stuff.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Yeah I don't think I'll bother with Battle Scars when it comes out in trade format. However I did read all of The Fearless maxiseries and it was pretty good. Cullen Bunn did a great job on writing duties and I hope to see more of him in the future. The fact that he's bringing that insane doctor back in his 4 issue Wolverine run shows he knows to use good characters.

Speaking of which Aaron's third Wolverine volume comes out tomorrow and I need to pick that up.

Bunn is the Wolverine writer, he's just taking a small break to let Loeb tell his shit (bunn is back on after that story is done), he's also co-writing Venom starting with issue 17(or 18), and Captain America starting in July.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Hensler wrote: »
    Is there any sort of sales data that shows that having a comic look like the movie actually boosts comic sales? Or that comic movies have any sort of effect on comic book sales?

With regular comics? Nope. And there are too many other variables the companies, mainly Marvel, does, such as relaunching series right before films, gajillion variants, that skew sales. Iron Man was launched during the first IM movie and it sold over 100k but it also had 5 or 6 variants. It would just make more sense to push your existing library of stories in nice, affordable trades like Image does, for better sales instead of launching a book that 6 months from now will fall back to pre relaunch levels because no new reader is going to wait six months for the story to finish, their attention has turned elsewhere.

Walking Dead doesn't even get boosts in sales for regular issues. For trades it eats up sales when a new season starts, but the regular issue sales seem to rise and fall based on the quality of the stories. When it gets in a lull, it goes down. With this new arc leading to #100, sales are going up because it's some neat worldbuilding. Same thing with Snyder's Detective Comics run; it went up in sales, albeit 200-500 units a month, for 11 out of its 12 months until the reboot came. Why? Because it was a damn good run with great word of mouth, nothing more than that. Quality will get through to people.

It's one thing to make the New X-Men wear leather to make it sync up a bit with X2, as it establishes a change in tone. Even things like Hawkeye changing his costume to look more like the movie right now makes sense or shoving Hawkeye and Black Widow into a lot of books now. But this Nick Fury Jr. thing is just so blatant in its implementation its a joke. At least he didn't beat up Thor and take Mjolnir from him.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Yeah, I can sort of appreciate a changing of the guard, but I always liked original Nick Fury after Steranko made him into the ultimate spy. These days there might not be much utility for that sort of character.

I never really paused to think about the WW2 guys still in the mix-I just assumed Fury went all 'Infinity Formula For All My Men' one night and bingo, perpetual war heroes.

Maybe this is a good move.

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It's a possibly good move, done in a bad fashion.

It's about how I felt about Brand New Day.

But seriously, Nick Fury should have tons of kids lying around. Toooooonnnnnnnnnnnssssssssssss.

By the way, New Avengers #26:
    It seems Kun Lun prophecy has an Iron Fist-trained Hope either controlling or fighting the Phoenix.

Uncanny #11:

"There are those who would stand with the many against the few. But Namor will never be amongst them." Classy.

And Gillen has Cyclops make the same argument I made earlier in the thread: you don't come to someone's house with a gun and ask a question. That's just you hiding a demand. Cyclops' press release to humanity.
    uncanny.jpg

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    So, Iron Fist's Phoenix developments:
    The Iron Fists have been charged with defending the Earth from the Phoenix Force since a long, long time ago. In the time between Danny Rand and Orson Randall a young red haired girl from K'un L'un(born after a K'un L'un woman got knocked up by an Earth dude) was chosen to become the next Iron Fist. We don't know what happened to her yet. Presumably something that makes sense as to why she didn't go beat up Jean Grey.

The last page is Lei Kung reading the Book of Fallen Iron Fists and Yu-Ti telling him he must tell Danny Rand about his duty to train Hope and to combat the Phoenix Force, complete with a drawing in the book of red haired girl with the Iron Fist tattoo combating a Phoenix Demon.

also the entire issue of New Avengers is from Yu-Ti's perspective and takes place in K'un L'un. That is awesome.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    So, Iron Fist's Phoenix developments:
    The Iron Fists have been charged with defending the Earth from the Phoenix Force since a long, long time ago. In the time between Danny Rand and Orson Randall a young red haired girl from K'un L'un(born after a K'un L'un woman got knocked up by an Earth dude) was chosen to become the next Iron Fist. We don't know what happened to her yet. Presumably something that makes sense as to why she didn't go beat up Jean Grey.

The last page is Lei Kung reading the Book of Fallen Iron Fists and Yu-Ti telling him he must tell Danny Rand about his duty to train Hope and to combat the Phoenix Force, complete with a drawing in the book of red haired girl with the Iron Fist tattoo combating a Phoenix Demon.

also the entire issue of New Avengers is from Yu-Ti's perspective and takes place in K'un L'un. That is awesome.

Holy fuck that sounds great. Bendis definitely isn't half-assing his last Avengers stories so far.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Also the Battle Scars line that everyone got really mad at is not at all like Hadji said

it is literally just "Infinity Formula or not, it took a while to recover. Eye didn't grow back, and it didn't keep the burns from scarring. Thanks for nothing, magic blood."

that is it

no HE IS BLACKER DUE TO BURNS, not even implied.

and he isn't even that darker than on previous pages.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    And note, Nick Fury Jr., despite the costume is just a SHIELD Agent, not the Director.

Secret Avengers #26:
    Beast's Phoenix cage fails and the Kree use the Phoenix to bring Captain Marvel back to life. Cap then tries to get Ms. Marvel and Protector to kill the Avengers.

Automaticzen on
  • Options
    Anyone here read Secret Avengers 26 yet?
    Some major league shit goes down and I like it. Pretty much the Kree use the Phoenix to resurrect Mar-vell but I'm not sure if it's the original because by the end of the issue he's trying to convince Noh-Varr and Carol to kill the Avengers for trying to stop the Force.

• Options

Uncanny #11:

"There are those who would stand with the many against the few. But Namor will never be amongst them." Classy.

And Gillen has Cyclops make the same argument I made earlier in the thread: you don't come to someone's house with a gun and ask a question. That's just you hiding a demand. Cyclops' press release to humanity.
    uncanny.jpg

That was a good letter summing up Cyclops' position. "We were bluffing, but you guys still proved to be jackasses, pat yourselves on the back."

And it should be 3 to 0 in the Avengers favor (weak end to the Magneto/Iron Man fight, Thing Namor went about as expected so that one doesn't bother me),
    because Colossus lost to Red Hulk in some crappy last moment moralizing about fighting, just let the people fight and beat the tar out of each other

Seriously, don't have Magneto stop in the middle of a fight because the Phoenix is doing something in space, and don't have Colossus worry about crab people.

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    It would just make more sense to push your existing library of stories in nice, affordable trades like Image does
    What libraries? Marvel doesn't even keep stocks of trades when retailers are demanding them.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Uncanny #11:

uncanny.jpg

That was a good letter summing up Cyclops' position. "We were bluffing, but you guys still proved to be jackasses, pat yourselves on the back."

And it should be 3 to 0 in the Avengers favor (weak end to the Magneto/Iron Man fight, Thing Namor went about as expected so that one doesn't bother me),
    because Colossus lost to Red Hulk in some crappy last moment moralizing about fighting, just let the people fight and beat the tar out of each other

Seriously, don't have Magneto stop in the middle of a fight because the Phoenix is doing something in space, and don't have Colossus worry about crab people.

Well it was less
    worrying about Crab people, more they were gonna sink Utopia

Also, sigh, I can't even open the forums now until I read my comics, thread title spoiled AvX VS for me rofl.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Honestly I find the whole thing so dumb and blatant that I can't even get mad about it

it is just hilarious

even moreso that Yost admits to Nick Fury Jr. being editorially mandated

Yeah it is so shameless I can't even be angry about it

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

As has been said

I think it means the Marvel architects

you are totally right though

Solar on
  • Options
    So from the AvX 3 preview it looks like the Avengers squads are:

Hawkeye, Rulk and Dr. Strange

Black Panther and Iron Fist

Luke Cage, Mockingbird, Thing, Black Widow and Daredevil

Spider-Man and Spider-Woman

and Captain America, Wolverine, Sharon Carter and Giant Man.

Iron Man is staying in Avengers Tower to try and cook up an anti-Phoenix thing

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AvX #3 preview
    Cap will attract more flies with honey than with punching people who know more about what they're dealing with. I guess that's how Wolverine's X-Men will join up with Cyclops, as it seems like Cap just doesn't want to listen to someone who knows just as much about the Phoenix as Scott or Hank right now.

• Options
    AvX #3 preview
    Cap will attract more flies with honey than with punching people who know more about what they're dealing with. I guess that's how Wolverine's X-Men will join up with Cyclops, as it seems like Cap just doesn't want to listen to someone who knows just as much about the Phoenix as Scott or Hank right now.
    I think it is more that
    Cap isn't willing to cross the line into murdering a child.

Wolverine is.

and I dunno, I am still not sure if Wolverine's X-Men will really join the fight. The teaser images we got have been confirmed to not actually indicate any story beats or fights since they were completed before the story was even finished. I think Wolverine goes rogue and is a 3rd party by himself on this one.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    It was mentioned in one of the latest AvX solicits, I think #8.
    Something about the X-Men's alliance being shaky. And since we know that maybe Carol is the only Avenger who jumps ship (if that), it would only make sense for all the X-Men to rally together. WatXM #9 sure made it seem like the school wasn't completely sold on what Cap was proposing.

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    AvX #3 preview

Looking at that preview I have to ask...
    What is Cap thinking in hitting Logan? I mean, he just slugged a guy with a) and unbreakable skeleton and b) the most notable healing factor on the planet. Slugging it out with him is probably not the smartest of moves. Unless he's planning on distracting him and then tossing him out of the jet or something so he's stuck in the middle of nowhere.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    Always bet on Cap

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    AvX #3 preview

Looking at that preview I have to ask...
    What is Cap thinking in hitting Logan? I mean, he just slugged a guy with a) and unbreakable skeleton and b) the most notable healing factor on the planet. Slugging it out with him is probably not the smartest of moves. Unless he's planning on distracting him and then tossing him out of the jet or something so he's stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Cap's history of fighting Logan is surprisingly good, though.

• Options
    Cap and Cyclops needs to join up over the fact that Logan has really, really wanted to kill both of their respective world-destroying women.

• Options
    DarcsteelDarcsteel Wildcard NC United StatesRegistered User regular

Uncanny #11:

uncanny.jpg

Nah Colossunaut lost because he realized that he was about to destroy Utopia's support himself so he let Rulk beat him down. As for magneto he had that fight won up until he felt hte life stripped off a planet he was drawing power from. I love Cyke's press release cause that's finally showing that high level stratgey that he's supposed to be all about

• Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    Didn't Captain America and Hope have a bonding moment in the Negative Zone? When was that?

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Man, I don't think I'm enjoying AvX. Oddly, it's reminding me a lot of Marvel Vs DC from the 90s. Lots of fights that are kinda cool to see but always go along this road of being really blah and contrived. It's not terrible or anything but it's just kinda...there. I think I'd rather just be reading the run of the mill stories.

The other thing that strikes me is that the whole event has this really "fun" atmosphere around (the marquee style variant covers, etc.). Yet at the same time it should be carrying a really serious tone (worlds being destroyed, maybe having to kill a young girl, etc.). It's a weird juxtaposition for me that I'm having a tough time reconciling.

• Options
    I think Marvel should've just embraced the cheese, and made this event Secret Wars 3.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    I think Marvel should've just embraced the cheese, and made this event Secret Wars 3.

I got that, too. All the tie-ins are written really well, though.

It's so confusing! AvX Vs #1's first story was written with much more depth than the actual AvX2, even though they were written by the same dude and both drawn by regular main-series artists!

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    Didn't Captain America and Hope have a bonding moment in the Negative Zone? When was that?

It was in Escape from the Negative Zone

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Man, I don't think I'm enjoying AvX. Oddly, it's reminding me a lot of Marvel Vs DC from the 90s. Lots of fights that are kinda cool to see but always go along this road of being really blah and contrived. It's not terrible or anything but it's just kinda...there. I think I'd rather just be reading the run of the mill stories.

The other thing that strikes me is that the whole event has this really "fun" atmosphere around (the marquee style variant covers, etc.). Yet at the same time it should be carrying a really serious tone (worlds being destroyed, maybe having to kill a young girl, etc.). It's a weird juxtaposition for me that I'm having a tough time reconciling.

It's a thinly veiled excuse to have heroes fighting each other. It all makes sense after you accept that, just sit back and enjoy the pointless fighting between people who are best of friends/saved each other countless times/etc.

What I don't get is if Scott doesn't think Hope can be secured away from the Phoenix then why worry about it?

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Well for one thing, somebody killing her.

You know, that thing that almost happened.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    "AvX vs" is where it's at anyway.

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    Doesn't time pass slower in K'un Lun?

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    Wasn't there a couple previous events in which the Marvel heroes were pitted against each other? Contest of Champions 1 & 2, or something like that?

• Options
    The more I think about it the more another Secret Wars would have been better in hindsight. The whole Beyonder subplot from the Illuminati miniseries still hasn't been adressed and it would have been a nice "holy shit" moment to have him be revealed as the mastermind behind getting the Avengers and X-men to fight each other.

• Options
    ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    Mega-crossover that ends up being contrived? Do tell :P
    The more I think about it the more another Secret Wars would have been better in hindsight. The whole Beyonder subplot from the Illuminati miniseries still hasn't been adressed and it would have been a nice "holy shit" moment to have him be revealed as the mastermind behind getting the Avengers and X-men to fight each other.
    But then if they called it Secret Wars, it'd spoil the Holy Shit twist!

• Options
    It's funny that Civil War didn't start very contrived but ended up so. A vs. X on the other hand I think started somewhat contrived but will end up being much better due to the creative team.

This discussion has been closed.