As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends]: It's something to do when Diablo 3 is down.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    The issue is you never said it was a "stun." The description was "stops your opponent from moving" which sounds like a snare in this game (Rune Prison, Morgana Q, Lux Q), etc since those things literally just stop your opponent from moving and nothing else.

Just trying to be as general as possible with regards to ability to initiate a team fight
    The ranged quality of it doesn't matter that much as long as it IS ranged. Bandage toss has range which allows Amumu to initiate. It's not like Amumu being in the middle of the enemy team is bad for him (at least, as bad as it is for Morgana) and it allows him to perform the rest of his initiation. And let's assume that the initiators we're grading want to actually initiate. I don't know the phantom world where Amumu bandage tosses into the enemy team and goes "Oh noes I didn't actually want to be in the middle of the enemy team why did I fire this bandage toss why god why?!"

The ranged quality of it does matter. Because it matters where the rest of your team are. If Amumu bandage tosses he is separated from his team. If Ryze rune prisons the entire team may go in, but does not have to. This is a pretty significant and important difference in the abilities.

Also, you don't have to memorize, I wrote it down for you ;)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Jars wrote: »
    would anivia be initiation or counter initiation

cutting their team in half basically wins every team fight

I usually classify an enemy anivia as "fuuuuuuuuuuuu my poor elo"

solid totp

Torgairon on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Torgairon wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »
    would anivia be initiation or counter initiation

cutting their team in half basically wins every team fight

I usually classify an enemy anivia as "fuuuuuuuuuuuu my poor elo"
    Play Gragas

Anivia is fat and slow and perfect barrel bait

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    The ranged quality of it doesn't matter that much as long as it IS ranged. Bandage toss has range which allows Amumu to initiate. It's not like Amumu being in the middle of the enemy team is bad for him (at least, as bad as it is for Morgana) and it allows him to perform the rest of his initiation. And let's assume that the initiators we're grading want to actually initiate. I don't know the phantom world where Amumu bandage tosses into the enemy team and goes "Oh noes I didn't actually want to be in the middle of the enemy team why did I fire this bandage toss why god why?!"

The ranged quality of it does matter. Because it matters where the rest of your team are. If Amumu bandage tosses he is separated from his team. If Ryze rune prisons the entire team may go in, but does not have to. This is a pretty significant and important difference in the abilities.

Also, you don't have to memorize, I wrote it down for you ;)

Your team also has to be close enough to capitalize on the Ryze prison? I guess in a vacuum if the Amumu just runs up and doesn't tell anyone he's going to initiate yeah it's worse but I would figure we're assuming a competent premade five man team using voice chat.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Just a reminder; the PA Inhouse is starting draft... nowwwwwww.... so if you're intending to play and you're not in the Painhouse and Painhouse Draft channels, what the heck are you doing? =)

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Your team also has to be close enough to capitalize on the Ryze prison? I guess in a vacuum if the Amumu just runs up and doesn't tell anyone he's going to initiate yeah it's worse but I would figure we're assuming a competent premade five man team using voice chat.

True. The point was that there is an option. If your team isn't able to engage for some reason then they don't have to.

Even in premades if mumu tosses he might not hit the one he wants and this may leave him next to their tank while the rest of their team backed far enough away that coming in is dangerous.

E.G. One of the interesting things that was happening in the recent IPL tourney in Vegas was someone playing Riven was purposefully running into Morgana's binding. They did this because they didn't want to engage onto riven and the risk of the binding landing onto a squishy was not worth the risk of simply eating the damage purposefully on the tank.

Edit: So the biggest difference would be that while Amumu's hook is very strong. Morgana enables others to initiate by binding. And that is the biggest difference between what I consider a root and what i consider a hook.
    Can't we just, for this purpose, define initiation as 'The ability to start a desired team fight'?

Yes, but we have to consider that inherent in the ability to start a desired team fight is the risk involved in making that fight one you didn't want to start. If we simply imply that all the fights started will be ideal then we have to ignore the fact that Blitzcrank can accidentally pull amumu when he was trying to land a hook into your entire team and we don't want to ignore those risks.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Can't we just, for this purpose, define initiation as 'The ability to start a desired team fight'?

Which makes the ranking 'We want to fight now, which champ is best for leading the way?'

MrGrimoire on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Painhouses starting imminently.

Join channel Painhouse for general chat
    Channel Painhouse Draft to be placed into the player pool
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al8wcjKN9tZLdDNkTWdheE4xazFyZ21pMWxwWW0zUkE#gid=0

• Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    So I just picked up Pantheon. Could someone please educate me in the ways of chucking spears and tackling people? I'm open to being assassin-tastic or tanky as hell.

• Options
    MrGrimoire wrote: »

Which makes the ranking 'We want to fight now, which champ is best for leading the way?'

I thought it was assumed.

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    MrGrimoire wrote: »

I thought it was assumed.

So did I, until the discussion went everywhere and I completely lost track.

• Options
    We need just a couple more people to have 4 teams! Where is everybody.

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    übergeek wrote: »
    übergeek wrote: »
    So I'm sitting on 13000 IP......what do? Akali and another runepage just for her? (If so what runes usually?) Nothing really jumps out at me...I blame DoTA2.

More champs. Once you have your rune basis, always more champs.

Akali works well enough with a standard runepage, frankly, and I don't think she suits your play style enough to deserve her own rune page.

My problem right now is that I look at the champs available and I say "So what?" There are so few that are drastically different that interest me. Unless I'm playing with you and the Mainers (in which case I'm Soraka) I don't actually -feel- like playing anyone. I log in and do a botmatch with someone who can make sure that 4 morons don't lose to the bots, and then I go play DoTA 2. I don't even recall what I spent my IP on last time.

If you are only playing bot games then it doesn't matter, just hold on to it until a champ comes along that interests you.

If you are just logging in to play a bot match to get your ip each day before leaving to play Dota 2 though.....just play Dota 2 I guess.

I mean, are you having fun playing LoL, or are you just logging in out of habit?

I have fun if I have someone to play with, which is usually Wicked and his friends. Otherwise, I rarely get an invite. This is in part due to if I'm going to be support, you don't try and do something silly like jungle twitch and waste my time. I'm attempting to play to win.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Myself and Wolfmini shall be casting the PAinhouse for any who want to watch the hilarity!

Draft picks are still going up you still have time to tune in!

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    i didn't know you worked at riot, surrealitycheck!

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=23653177#23653177

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    We are short one person for the PAinhouse. if anyone on here is still interested and want to give it a shot join the "painhouse draft" chat channel in LoL

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    nealcm wrote: »
    i didn't know you worked at riot, surrealitycheck!

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=23653177#23653177

Queue the music!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    Enigma435Enigma435 Registered User regular
    for the other set of inhouse games going down!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    So this is "Awesome skin discount week" I guess?

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    first competent team in what seems like ages

then malz quits four times complaining about lag

fuck this game.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    ZeroZedZeroZeroZedZero Registered User regular
    Team Wicked Demiurge with a win, vs team Auralynx. (Painhouses really are pretty fun)
    Tristana515.jpg

steam_sig.png
    Come watch me on my stream : http://www.own3d.tv/ZeroZedZero
  • Options
    KogumaKoguma Space Jam Enthusiast DunkmaciaRegistered User regular
    We are short one person for the PAinhouse. if anyone on here is still interested and want to give it a shot join the "painhouse draft" chat channel in LoL

I am down

LoL NA: Kog, K0G D1/challenger/master IDK ANYMORE
    You can see me here playing stuff: http://www.twitchtv/mynameiskog
  • Options
    So here's our team comp:

Jungle Soraka, Teemo Mid, Olaf top, Graves/Orianna bot.

twitch.tv/chaoshat

• Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    Koguma wrote: »

I am down

Same here. I'm content to watch the streams until there's a need.

League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    LOL

you caught me!

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ZeroZedZeroZeroZedZero Registered User regular
    Team Wicked Demiurge vs. Team Hargaad = a loss for the team that didn't have Karma on it and should've banned rammus. >.>
    ashe065.jpg

steam_sig.png
    Come watch me on my stream : http://www.own3d.tv/ZeroZedZero
  • Options
    eKTMU.jpg

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    karma 4 prez

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    eKTMU.jpg

i have never carried a team so hard in my entire life

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Man, I need to set an alarm for this so I don't forget next week.

• Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    Oh man, that game was so close. Baseraces indeed.

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    Special call out to unintentional for rocking so hard as Karma. Really good to see her get some use. A fun champ.

• Options
    Special call out to unintentional for rocking so hard as Karma. Really good to see her get some use. A fun champ.
    karma 4 prez

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    hello I'm nocturne and I will be fucking mudering you today

clipboard01uxs.jpg

• Options
    RazalgrimRazalgrim Registered User regular
    Wow that Hecarim build's gimmicky as fuck.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Seeing a lot of Jarv lately

I want to start playing him

and Nocturne

teach me the ways

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    i hear people were dissing my boots of mobility on stream???

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Match 2:
    paihm2.png
    Match 3:
    paihm3.png

And I am feeling super-deflated.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Razalgrim wrote: »
    Wow that Hecarim build's gimmicky as fuck.

Isn't his whole thing to run at the closest living thing as fast as possible in order to kill it?

• Options
    So, I know it's fun to spectate and all, but last week we had 30 players and 3-4 streamers; this week we had 20 players and 289274892374 streamers. I decided to play (and Schuss wound up playing too) so that we could fill up a 4th team and not have one team twiddling their thumbs at any given moment all night long.

I don't mind playing instead of doing that which I was very looking forward to doing, but I do respectfully request that those of you who streamed this week please consider playing instead next week. I honestly don't want to sound like a silly complaining goose but there ya go.

Other than that, I had fun and I learned I need to buy and practice more Yordles.

This discussion has been closed.