As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]nequa don't live here no mo'

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Hm. There is a tiny little mouse in my house.

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    ninjai wrote: »
    I want your opinions, is there anything wrong with being hard on yourself?

I spent most of my night being preached at how I'm too hard on myself. I view it as having a high standard, but apparently it pisses people off :( even though I am making concerted efforts not to. ...

It depends, are you constantly punching yourself in the head for not being great at everything? Or pulling a toelnail out everytime you forget to take out the garbage?
    Cause that could be an underlying issue at play.

However holding yourself to a higher standard when it comes to your passions? Then no, because the minute you start thinking your great at something is the minute you stop improving. The price for being great, is never being able to marvel at your own magnificence.

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    These shrimp are making me hungry!

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Mustang wrote: »
    I want your opinions, is there anything wrong with being hard on yourself?

I spent most of my night being preached at how I'm too hard on myself. I view it as having a high standard, but apparently it pisses people off :( even though I am making concerted efforts not to. ...

It depends, are you constantly punching yourself in the head for not being great at everything? Or pulling a toelnail out everytime you forget to take out the garbage?
    Cause that could be an underlying issue at play.

However holding yourself to a higher standard when it comes to your passions? Then no, because the minute you start thinking your great at something is the minute you stop improving. The price for being great, is never being able to marvel at your own magnificence.

Yeah, I kinda do that. I get compliments at open mic's and from friends that play music that I'm great at guitar, or from other people who have done art for a long time and the see the stuff I did the other day and say I'm good at it... I take the compliment, but I really don't agree with it at all because I come on here and see ikage, bacon, iruka, fug, tam and the like all doing fantastic shit that I can't even comprehend where I'm at. And that's just a sub-forum on a niche website, we aren't even talking about Bob Ross.

The same applies for everything else at the same time though. In a conversation about women today, we were talking about women you meet at bars or in public wherever, and I mentioned that the competition is better looking than I am and probably better dressed and this guy says "you must have a fucking terrible self-image." Said I dress well and look just fine... The issue is I do, and I don't know if that's a bad thing. To me I'm just being honest with myself.

It's like if you tune into the auditions for American Idol back in the day and you would see these fucking hacks audition that actually believed that they could win, yet they had no idea what they were doing and sounded like shit. Is it worth it to me to improve my self-image if it isn't accurate?

edit: I've even had people come to me infuriated and offended that I view my talents so poorly because they can't do what I do and they've struggled at it for years... I don't want to upset them, but it's a side-effect.

ninjai on
  • FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

Kill it, use excesive force if needed, chemicals, exterminators, the ARMY!

And yes, its good to be hard on yourself, as long as you dont obsess or loose focus of reality. After all, for me, the best reward of drawing, is acomplishing something I like, even if I know there is PLENTY of room for improvement.

Being too hard usually leads to being negative towards what you produce, for me at least, thats when the fun stops, and if it aint fun it aint worth doing.

Edit: And its also important to learn to take critics, not only constructive or bad ones, but also the good ones, the ones that highlight your strong points, and to do this, you ave to accept that you are doing something right.... and I have to go to work, so I switch back to ultra-negative mood.

FANTOMAS on
    Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    So I got this plan to do 3 pages of drawing for each page of Loomis' Figure Drawing for all Its Worth as a way to have some sort of self taught curriculum.

I really wish I could have gone to art school. I learn best with a structured education. :/

• r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    r-jasper on
    FANTOMAS wrote: »

That's so mean. It's just a tiny little thing. I'm gonna go get a live trap.

• squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »

That's so mean. It's just a tiny little thing. I'm gonna go get a live trap.

:^:

header_image_sm.jpg
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    thing is, art isn't a competition. You can practice and practice and practice (and you should) but in the end, no matter what you do, what matters more is what you do with the talents you gain.

there's always room for improvement and new things to try, but that doesn't necessarily mean you aren't doing pretty good already. Hell, half the battle is doing anything at all, example: me who still has yet to record a song with vocals because I'm too "fucking thing sucks" just to get my stuff out there.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    Is that a Bill Oreilly joke?

• TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yes it is
    In light of that video, I just laugh any time I see billo now

"Fuck it! We'll do it live!"
    Also he didn't know what "play us out" meant
    Billo is the best idiot on the teevee

Tam on
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    I've even had people come to me infuriated and offended that I view my talents so poorly because they can't do what I do and they've struggled at it for years... I don't want to upset them, but it's a side-effect.
    They should be ashamed. Not of their poor skills but of their stupid little brains. I want you to break into their houses in the middle of the night in a ninja costume, get inside set up your gear and wake them up with your (what I presume is) æsir-like guitar powers. Then, when you've done your solo you pull off your ninja hood and burst out of their room after delivering a snappy one-liner along the lines of "never satisfy" (delivered in Japanese actually). That night, will be the night they cry themselves to death.
    -Directed by Larry and Andy Wachowski

I dunno, I can understand being a little resentful. Fury is way over the top though.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I had a classmate berate me during a critique once because I self-critiqued my piece a little beforehand, and he couldn't see what I was talking about, which in turn had made him feel bad about his own skills.

My fault!

m i rite??

edited April 2012
    that seems dumb
    the impression I got from the previous part of the discussion was of an artist saying something like "man I really suck" when they don't

I might just be drawing from that time that HOON guy said he was bad at painting
    and I was like
    well shit man

Tam on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    Tam maybe you just can't see what they're talking about when they say "man I really suck".

Time to feel bad about your own skills.

man I don't need that to feel bad about my own skills
    I can see my severe limitations on my own

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Its skill relativity.

I mean, logically I know Im at least good enough to get a job doing it because ... I have a job doing it. But then I look at other artists in the industry and a lot of them make me feel entirely inadequate. Feeling bad about ones own art comes at all skill levels.

If any artist anywhere sat back and thought "I am the greatest art person that ever was, I have nothing left to learn" then they are either delusional, or posting on deviant art, where delusion is presumed.

• PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    Its skill relativity.

I mean, logically I know Im at least good enough to get a job doing it because ... I have a job doing it. But then I look at other artists in the industry and a lot of them make me feel entirely inadequate. Feeling bad about ones own art comes at all skill levels.
    Yeah, like I know that I'm more skilled/talented than my friends/family/etc. So they say I'm super good. But then I look at everyone on here and I'm like damn.

steam_sig.png
    I feel like a terrible novice compared to everyone here, though I feel like I've gotten through that stage where absolutely everything is an abject struggle to do what I want.
    Now only 95% of things are an abject struggle.

• ChromatomicChromatomic Mr. DCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    yeah I mean I feel like a hack about 95% of the time, the other 5% I'm just too busy to think about being a hack.

I try not to get too worked up about it though because I figure at least I'm self aware enough to feel like crap instead of being obnoxiously pretentious without qualification.

Chromatomic on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    I really wish I could have gone to art school. I learn best with a structured education. :/

You might be surprised ahahaha

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I had a classmate berate me during a critique once because I self-critiqued my piece a little beforehand, and he couldn't see what I was talking about, which in turn had made him feel bad about his own skills.

My fault!

m i rite??

I do that so much. I mean a LOT. I have had to teach myself to not do that. I was gonna do it on my latest figure drawing I did on here, I noticed some proportion problems and I didn't pay attention to the negative space, but I deleted all that before I posted it.
    Tam wrote: »
    that seems dumb
    the impression I got from the previous part of the discussion was of an artist saying something like "man I really suck" when they don't

I might just be drawing from that time that HOON guy said he was bad at painting
    and I was like
    well shit man

Well not necessarily just art. I'm not good with women or just making a first impression in general, I'm not really attractive (though I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder or whatever)...

That's sort of what I was getting at.

I try not to get too worked up about it though because I figure at least I'm self aware enough to feel like crap instead of being obnoxiously pretentious without qualification.

That's how I feel.

ninjai on
  • NicNic Registered User regular
    Let's just agree that we all suck, some less than others.

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    I should post here more. I always feel like an outsider when I float in every few months to update my thread. D:

• NicNic Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Mortal Kombat Rainbow! It's been awhile!

Edit: man I think I just came up with THE worst pickup line to use on a girl should the topic of Bioshock arise (and why shouldn't it, really?)
    It goes as follows:

Incidentally, the Bioshocker is a sex move I am currently patenting. It involves two in the pink, one in the stink, a few jolts with a defibrillator, and requires that the female in question be in cardiac arrest. I'm still working out a method that reliably yields no fatalities. Wanna try it out with me?

Ladies.

Nic on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited April 2012
    This game which neither I, nor anyone else, knows anything about and is being made by people I've never heard of, has my interest. I'm glad to see a game trailer for once that isn't about LOOK AT HOW EPIC or a Blur Studios prerendered thing of random people beating the shit out of each other (note to game marketers, showing people beating the shit out of each other doesn't exactly distinguish you from every other game in the world).

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/169258/Inhouse_tech_lays_foundation_for_mesmerizing_Reset_teaser_trailer.php
    http://reset-game.net/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLd8kEQJIzw#!

Angel_of_Bacon on
    Well it's got my attention, to be honest that has the potential to make a great animated feature.

• ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Dead Island had a pretty unconventional debut trailer too, and it turned out to be a game about kicking zombies in the face with stiletto heels.

Yeah I think I'm just gonna presume that game is vaporware until I see the actual thing has that kind of atmosphere too.

I'm also highly skeptical of an upstart indie developer claiming that their game will look like that in-engine during gameplay, unless they are shooting for a release window like 2+ years into the future.

Scosglen on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    But Dead Island was also the fun kinda kicking zombies in the face with stiletto heels.

Even if she didn't wear panties.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Also, it was no less stereotypical. Its just a sad robot in the rain.

My fault!

m i rite??

I do that so much. I mean a LOT. I have had to teach myself to not do that. I was gonna do it on my latest figure drawing I did on here, I noticed some proportion problems and I didn't pay attention to the negative space, but I deleted all that before I posted it.

I used to do that a lot too... it does take some time to teach yourself not to do that initially haha (if that is a problem you have). It really just comes down to not caring what other people think of your art, and how they are or are not translating to their idea of you as "an artist" or how "skilled"/"amateurish" you are. It can be embarrassing to post art you know isn't 100% okay, but...that's how you learn, right? And I think it's a valid thing to mention some things you're already aware of that are wrong (or that can be improved), simply because it can help start communication about those areas of the piece. Sometimes critique-ers will even say "well, I think this is actually the problem, not what you mentioned" and they're right. And if you hadn't mentioned anything, that connection may not have been brought up. That's one instance where self-critique right off the bat has been useful to me personally, but....yeah it shouldn't be done as a means to protect yourself, it should be done to help open the dialogue about what can be improved in the piece, IMO. :)

I didn't get that at all. What I saw was a robot who had a software malfunction of some kind that kept him in stasis while the human race vanished from the earth for some reason.
    I thought it was a pretty cool setup for an adventure game......if that's what it is.

• FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I guess I've always felt the need to point out what I think is wrong with a piece whenever I post it, but I just let it go because the question is always "Well then why didn't you fix it before you posted it? You're not on a deadline." And it also feels a bit a lot like fishing for compliments. Maybe that's not a good way to think about it all the time. Maybe there are some things about my art that really bug people, that are objectively displeasing, but they never say anything because they think it's just their opinion and they don't want to be rude trying to pass it off as a legitimate critique.

Next time I post something I should just go on a tirade about how shitty the lineweight is or how washed out the color palette looks. Then maybe loosen the tie a bit because shit, it's about to get real relaxed in here.

Fugitive on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    sweetsauce

Yeah, I read about it too. And it's apparently a puzzle game that you mess around with time.... as in go and help your younger time self to solve a puzzle. I'm way interested. And apparently that's all the ingame engine in the trailer.

edited April 2012
    Fugitive wrote: »
    I guess I've always felt the need to point out what I think is wrong with a piece whenever I post it, but I just let it go because the question is always "Well then why didn't you fix it before you posted it? You're not on a deadline." And it also feels a bit a lot like fishing for compliments. Maybe that's not a good way to think about it all the time. Maybe there are some things about my art that really bug people, that are objectively displeasing, but they never say anything because they think it's just their opinion and they don't want to be rude trying to pass it off as a legitimate critique.

Next time I post something I should just go on a tirade about how shitty the lineweight is or how washed out the color palette looks. Then maybe loosen the tie a bit because shit, it's about to get real relaxed in here.

I think it's still nice to post stuff when you're aware of some error...it's a forgivable thing, right? If you repeatedly post shit that has the same error, and you're just too lazy to fix it? Then yeah, that's an issue. But I mean....sometimes I can tell something's wrong in a piece I've done, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about fixing it. Or maybe there's a little section I'm not happy with, but I'm happy with the rest of the piece. I've also had a hard time teaching myself to "let things go" and not obsess over everything being perfect, thereby risking overworking that area of the picture.

So many insecurities we all have about posting stuff!
    Meanwhile I haven't posted anything here in over a year olololol

but I guess I haven't really done much of anything outside of work

:'(

NightDragon on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    Mustang wrote: »

I didn't get that at all. What I saw was a robot who had a software malfunction of some kind that kept him in stasis while the human race vanished from the earth for some reason.
    I thought it was a pretty cool setup for an adventure game......if that's what it is.

There's also the theory that the main character is the out of focus corpsified thing in the foreground when it's showing the computers rebooting (thus the defib and nanoblood text, instead of just, "reboot"); then the story becomes, your guy saw whatever apocalypse-ized everything coming, and locked himself in this robot before he died (could be a virus wiped everything out?) in order to revive himself at a later point so he can go back and try to fix everything via communing with your past self.

I don't think it's just a case of HEY LET'S MAKE A GAME LIKE WALL-E, ONLY CLEANER AND WITH A BIGGER, SADDER ROBOT.

And man I mean sure, it may not look as good in final execution and it may not see the light of day because it might be too ambitious for such an (apparently) small team to pull off, but I don't know why that should make me get all down on it at this point. I mean, so what? At least I got to see a cool trailer for the thing, which is more than I'd get if nobody ever tried to make stuff like this at all (It's not like the big publishers would fund something like this in any case, so I'm glad that at least somebody's trying to).

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    The only thing I can think during that trailer is TREE'S DON'T GROW THAT WAY

This discussion has been closed.