As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]New thread is up. Hope everyone enjoyed the April BWE! It was awesome!

• Options
    CelethangCelethang Registered User regular
    Enig wrote: »
    Stupid wrote: »
    For what it's worth, reports are that the digital editions of the game are "sold out". I'm betting this is simply to limit the damage done to arenanet's servers tomorrow. It's not like they ran out of digital keys or anything.

I'd bet that a typical server can handle 5000-ish simultaneous logins. With 48 servers, that would be 240,000 accounts. Of course not everyone will be loging in in at the same time, but pretty much everyone who pre-purchased will be online at some point this weekend. Conservatively assume 70% diversity in logins. That means that as many as 350,000 accounts might have already been created!

They said this might happen if they ran out of server capacity. It should re-open soon once they bring more servers/capacity online. No idea if it will be before the weekend though.

On the plus side, this means GW2 is selling rather well.

Does this mean if I pre-order from somewhere else, I probably won't get into this weekend's event? I'm late to the party :(

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    You have to pre-PURCHASE to get into this week's beta.

or get a key from somewhere

Xagar on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    Green Man Gaming has keys. And its 10% off!

I bought it from them literally 10 minutes ago and am currently downloading

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Rednaz wrote: »
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Just to rehash the discussion from earlier - I think my interest in the previous NDA being lifted is people who were in the previous beta able to openly compare and note the changes made between the previous beta and the first BWE, which is interesting to me because it can be indicative of the direction the team is thinking of taking in terms of churning out the final product.

You could just look at the press release videos during the same beta. I mean, it isn't going to be vastly different than what the average gamer, who wasn't raging, is going to say. The NDA (for non-press) isn't getting lifted.

I guess so. Party-pooper.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Just to rehash the discussion from earlier - I think my interest in the previous NDA being lifted is people who were in the previous beta able to openly compare and note the changes made between the previous beta and the first BWE, which is interesting to me because it can be indicative of the direction the team is thinking of taking in terms of churning out the final product.

You could just look at the press release videos during the same beta. I mean, it isn't going to be vastly different than what the average gamer, who wasn't raging, is going to say. The NDA (for non-press) isn't getting lifted.

I guess so. Party-pooper.

The problem is that the NDA from previous beta phases is not being lifted, i.e. people who participated in those cannot openly discuss the difference between the builds. The NDA being lifted means that you can openly discuss the latest build once the servers open. This is extremely common.

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Celethang wrote: »
    Enig wrote: »
    Stupid wrote: »
    For what it's worth, reports are that the digital editions of the game are "sold out". I'm betting this is simply to limit the damage done to arenanet's servers tomorrow. It's not like they ran out of digital keys or anything.

I'd bet that a typical server can handle 5000-ish simultaneous logins. With 48 servers, that would be 240,000 accounts. Of course not everyone will be loging in in at the same time, but pretty much everyone who pre-purchased will be online at some point this weekend. Conservatively assume 70% diversity in logins. That means that as many as 350,000 accounts might have already been created!

They said this might happen if they ran out of server capacity. It should re-open soon once they bring more servers/capacity online. No idea if it will be before the weekend though.

On the plus side, this means GW2 is selling rather well.

Does this mean if I pre-order from somewhere else, I probably won't get into this weekend's event? I'm late to the party :(

As Foolish Chaos said, you can get a key if you pre-purchase at a retailer who still has BWE keys (check with them first if you can). It's just the prepurchases direct from ANet that are temporarily closed. With retailers it will be limited by their individual stock of codes that ANet had given them.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    So I bought the game, got the code, put it into the GW2 beta site, then got an invite to the beta. Went and made an account, but when I go to download the client, it says 'Not Available'.

What am I doing wrong?

• Options
    TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I can't find it now but someone linked a direct download yesterday. It was Cloudfront.something

EDIT: Found it

Login like normal
    Click "News and Announcements" under News and Info
    Click the Getting Started Thread
    Scroll up to the top if it's in italian/french/whatever for some reason
    Click download link

TannerMS on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Maybe wait a bit as they could be updating stuff every so often. I downloaded everything a day or so ago but I fired it up last night just to check that it was working and ready to go and there was even MORE to download from there!

• Options
    Couldn't find it in the last several pages, but I was able to locate that cloudfront link from GameFAQs. Here it is in case anyone else has the same issue:

http://cloudfront.guildwars2.com/client/Gw2.exe

• Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    I will be online about 4 hours after the beta begins . . . Stupid full time job.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PaiPai Ghost in the Machine Registered User regular
    The client has refused to work for me after the first day downloading where it worked fine (the main Gw2.dat file is now at 12.7 gig).

Ever since yesterday it crashes constantly when I start it up -- the error file says something about being unable to patch the .tmp file.
    Redownloading the client .exe does nothing
    Deleting the local.dat and .tmp file does nothing
    Changing the folder the client is in and downloads to does nothing
    Running the Repair -image shortcut crashes for the same reason

I submitted a ticket early yesterday but it seems I will not be getting a reply from ArenaNet by tomorrow, so I'm hoping some tech-savy person here has pity on me and can handhold me through what the problem could be. I can post system specs and such via PM to anyone who's willing to help me. As you can imagine, this situation is extremely frustrating.

• Options
    RednazRednaz Registered User regular
    Pai wrote: »
    The client has refused to work for me after the first day downloading where it worked fine (the main Gw2.dat file is now at 12.7 gig).

Ever since yesterday it crashes constantly when I start it up -- the error file says something about being unable to patch the .tmp file.

I submitted a ticket early yesterday but it seems I will not be getting a reply from ArenaNet by tomorrow, so I'm hoping some tech-savy person here has pity on me and can handhold me through what the problem could be. I can post system specs and such via PM to anyone who's willing to help me. As you can imagine, this situation is extremely frustrating.

Don't frustrate over this, it is just the beta tomorrow. I don't know exactly what your problem is, but even if A.net can't help you for this weekend, I'm sure there are others with similar problems and they can fix it at least by the next beta. I'm sure they are already getting loads of technical problems from players. Hopefully it is fixed by tomorrow though.

Steam: The_Zeta
    LOL NA: Rednaz
    Currently Playing: Dark Forces
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Well, time for sleep. I will have to go AFK for a short while in the afternoon, but I will be online at launch time. Hopefully the servers are stable then.

So exciting!

Did you try restarting your PC? Maybe it is some sort of file or permissions error. Could look at the file properties. Pretty wild guess, as I am not that knowledgeable when it comes to software stuff.

Edit: Look here. Sounds like the problem you mentioned: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/32796-gw2-client-crashes/

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Did you try restarting your PC? Maybe it is some sort of file or permissions error. Pretty wild guess, as I am not that knowledgeable when it comes to software stuff.

Yeah I've tried that and none of the files are marked 'read only' so I'm really baffled as to why it just up and stopped working. I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to how PCs work under the hood; I just play games on 'em.

Check my edit. Couple potential solutions in that GW2Guru thread.

Ah.. good old time-travel forums.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    PaiPai Ghost in the Machine Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Did you try restarting your PC? Maybe it is some sort of file or permissions error. Pretty wild guess, as I am not that knowledgeable when it comes to software stuff.

Yeah I've tried that and none of the files are marked 'read only' so I'm really baffled as to why it just up and stopped working. I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to how PCs work under the hood; I just play games on 'em.

EDIT: Thanks a ton, Enig, you're a lifesaver!

Pai on
  • Options
    RednazRednaz Registered User regular
    Time travel and broken quotes, woot!

Steam: The_Zeta
    LOL NA: Rednaz
    Currently Playing: Dark Forces
  • Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    Guys. Guys! Guys, I'm really excited for this. Servers go up an hour before I have to go in to work :[ But I've got absolutely NOTHING to do this weekend. Got my gf to watch a couple videos and shes now really interested in the game. Which is always exciting news :D

• Options
    DrCongoDrCongo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It is morning. Before I go to sleep tonight I will have played me some Guild Wars 2. This pleases me greatly.

• Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I am on my way to work. In 12 hours I will be sat at my desk hammering the login server for gw2. So I glad I already saw avengers so I don't have any distractions, well except for the gf and boatload of marking I have to do this weekend.

I still have no clue as to what class I am going to play!

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    Louie wrote: »

roll a d8

it is how I decided to play a Guardian :P

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    i want in i want in i want in i want in i want in i want in

COME ON SERVERS AAAAAAA

• Options
    DrCongoDrCongo Registered User, ClubPA regular

roll a d8

Hi5! I decided on a human male engineer with the help of my trusty D6 and D8.

• Options
    Omega2112Omega2112 GW2 AKA: Robocow, Veristia Reaven Registered User regular

roll a d8

I choose guardian so I could be Protoss.

Yay for force fields, guardian shield, and blink.

I should play with a Mesmer for Psi/Chaos storm and hallucinations.

• Options
    DrCongo wrote: »

roll a d8

Haha hi5!

I already have a race chosen for each class in the BWE, do I didn't roll for those:

Norn Guardian, Ranger
    Human Mesmer, Elementalist, Thief
    Charr Engineer, Necromancer, Warrior

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Gave it a shot, I rolled a Human Male Elementalist.

I wasn't planning on playing an ele for any of my characters when the final game is released, so now will probably be a good time to try it out.

• Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Hmm what will I play?

Oh wait I still have no Internet

*crawls into the corner and cries*

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    DrCongo wrote: »

roll a d8

Haha hi5!

I already have a race chosen for each class in the BWE, do I didn't roll for those:

Norn Guardian, Ranger
    Human Mesmer, Elementalist, Thief
    Charr Engineer, Necromancer, Warrior

I have doubts that you will be able to accomplish this list.

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Adda wrote: »
    Hmm what will I play?

*posts on the Internet that he has no Internet*

SPY!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    Hmm what will I play?

SPY!

Rumbled!

Wish I could play GW on my phone.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    Kafka87Kafka87 Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    Hmm what will I play?

SPY!

Rumbled!

Wish I could play GW on my phone.

That reminds me, has anyone heard anything recently about the apps etc they're supposedly releasing?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    LESS THAN NINE HOURS
    Omega2112 wrote: »

roll a d8

I choose guardian so I could be Protoss.

Yay for force fields, guardian shield, and blink.

I should play with a Mesmer for Psi/Chaos storm and hallucinations.

Haha, its default armor also looks kind of like a stalker.

hero-guardian.jpg

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Gustavo MGustavo M Registered User regular
    I will be around as a Guardian, with a familiar name no more than "A familiar paladin".
    Classy classic. And ready for lotsa wuvwuv'in.

• Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    So I pre-purchased the game, but I haven't entered in my code yet... there's no time limit rrrriiiiggghhhht? I can enter it in later today and still get a taste of beta awesomeness correcto?

WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I wouldn't wait too long.

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Why don't you try it out? It takes like three minutes.

• Options
    I entered the code the very second it popped up on the Greenmangaming.com site. Like, I had the GW2 page open in another tab and copy/pasted it instantly.

Why would you wait? D:

• Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    Wishpig wrote: »
    So I pre-purchased the game, but I haven't entered in my code yet... there's no time limit rrrriiiiggghhhht? I can enter it in later today and still get a taste of beta awesomeness correcto?
    https://register.guildwars2.com

ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Can you level up, get experience, and earn/buy weapons in WuvWuv? Stronger weapons, not just cosmetic like structured.

Edit: also beta is downloaded 95% WOOOOOOOOOOO!

Depends on what you mean by "stronger" weapons. At level 80, gear is normalized. There is no gear progression like every other game.

@Rednaz can you explain this more? Is there an article that discusses it? I'm actually a fan of gear progression, so if this is the case it'll make me a sad panda.

• Options
    edited April 2012

@Pai

Turn off your firewall. I'm not sure if this is your problem, but for me, having my firewall on (AVG) prevents it from doing anything but bringing up the background image. I think Corehealer's GF had the same issue.

Edit: looks like Enig provided some help. What ended up working?

am0n on
This discussion has been closed.