As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Hey guys, I've got a quick question, maybe you could help me out? I went ahead and did the whole digital download pre-sale thing. The Blizzard popped up and after about an hour and a half, it appeared to be finished. I tried running the installer, and it doesn't do anything. One time, it popped up saying that the game isn't released yet, but the second time, and all the times since, it like, acts like it's going to install, or do some patches or something, but then errors out.

I'm I okay? Or is something fucked up? Have I completely downloaded and installed the game? Do I just need to patch it on day 1 and I'm ready to go? Or do I still need to go through a proper installation process, and something's wrong?

• SkabSkab Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Hey guys, I've got a quick question, maybe you could help me out? I went ahead and did the whole digital download pre-sale thing. The Blizzard popped up and after about an hour and a half, it appeared to be finished. I tried running the installer, and it doesn't do anything. One time, it popped up saying that the game isn't released yet, but the second time, and all the times since, it like, acts like it's going to install, or do some patches or something, but then errors out.

I'm I okay? Or is something fucked up? Have I completely downloaded and installed the game? Do I just need to patch it on day 1 and I'm ready to go? Or do I still need to go through a proper installation process, and something's wrong?

Can't install till release, so you're fine.

steam_sig.png
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    digital purchase allows you to play at midnight, and they said I could register the collector's edition afterwards?

I'm thinking about it

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited April 2012
    Right on. That's what I suspected, but I just wanted to make sure. I definitely didn't want to find out on release night that I didn't do something right, lol.

milk ducks on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#bRYWTP!dTe!YccZYZ

All summoning all the time witch doctor build :)

The main idea is that Grave injustice and the exploding enemies from Hex - Unstable Form will work together to reduce the cooldowns on fetish army, toad of hugeness and Hex to near zero. Allowing me to have fetish army all the time, and swarms of huge toads.

That looks like a blank build to me, man. Did you copy the url directly from the page, or did you click on the "link to this build" button?

[edit] Nevermind. Clicked it again, and this time it's all there. Hm.

The more enemies which attack me the stronger I will become! Multiple fetish armies, legions of toads, everything turned into an exploding chicken! I shall never even see a non chicken foe.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Here's an idea for explosive zombie dog build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#heYVTQ!aTd!ZZcZYc . Set the primary and secondary to whatever matches your taste. Of course you are going to want some gold radius extension gear for more zombie dogs for you to explode.

Also you would want a big slow weapon to get he most out of each dog blowing up.

Savant on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Blargh. I'd love to play at midnight. But I already paid $100 for this thing; I think I'll keep the next $60 and just wait 24 hours or so. I'll survive.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    So, I have created a sick-ass wizard build.

Your primary skill is Arcane Torrent. Not only does AT slow (via passive), it also boosts damage by 15%. Then you slap them the fuck down with Disintegrate and they explode. If someone gets too close, you Arcane Explosion until you're in trouble and tele out.

If immunities are as much a pain in the ass to deal with in D3 as they are in D2, you drop Arcane Orb for Wave of Force or something.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    They better not be near as much of a pain in 3 as they were in 2 or else I'll demand a day/week 1 patch! And they don't want that, do they?

I'm going to be sad if you can miss some of the journal entries for good, too. I always skip Leah's #2. Suppose you can try again each difficultly, though.

Xeddicus on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    There aren't any immune monsters in Diablo 3. It's been like that for years.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    I keep hearing different things and have some hazy made up memory of "immune" will just mean really resistant and/or only immune to one type. But none period works for me.

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    They can have 95% resistance, but not immunity.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Man, I remember playing Diablo 1 as a wizard and I had some ridiculous level fireball. It was good times until you ran in to fire immune. Oh boy was that a dangerous character to play multiplayer with. I blew my friend up on accident so many times.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Anid MaroAnid Maro Registered User regular
    Saldonas wrote: »
    Man, I remember playing Diablo 1 as a wizard and I had some ridiculous level fireball. It was good times until you ran in to fire immune. Oh boy was that a dangerous character to play multiplayer with. I blew my friend up on accident so many times.

Naw, that ain't no chain lightning.

Used to play a Warrior online in Diablo I, CL Wizards killed me every time. At least when the fireballs came I could try to stand off to the side or something, there was no escape from chain lightning.

Blargh. I'd love to play at midnight. But I already paid $100 for this thing; I think I'll keep the next $60 and just wait 24 hours or so. I'll survive.

what if we don't survive, jay

what if that's just what diablo wants us to think

moreso what if amazon doesn't deliver the package until late? or... wednesday?

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I think I'm gonna try to put in 12 hour days Monday/Tuesday. That means I can work normal Weds/Thurs and bolt early on Friday without feeling guilty.

And pray that Best Buy actually ships me the CE.

• AzreusAzreus Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »

Listen friend, you can just say stuff like that in here... what if there's a stampede?

• _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

I have delivery date shipping from Amazon.

But even then, it won't arrive till the afternoon.

It means that I'll be hours behind everyone else who ever plays the game. Makes me sad.

It makes me so sad. and I'm a nightowl, I know I'm gonna be up.

how many times will diablo 3 come out. it might be worth the dough to play it on time.

also that zombie dog build someone posted just made me want to play with doctor. the synergy of it. I just wanna play.

• CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    Savant wrote: »
    Here's an idea for explosive zombie dog build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#heYVTQ!aTd!ZZcZYc . Set the primary and secondary to whatever matches your taste. Of course you are going to want some gold radius extension gear for more zombie dogs for you to explode.

Also you would want a big slow weapon to get he most out of each dog blowing up.

I'm quite sure that when calculating weapon % damage it uses the damage per second of a weapon, so daggers will be just as apt *need confirmation*

Dancing Bagel
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »

I have delivery date shipping from Amazon.

But even then, it won't arrive till the afternoon.

It means that I'll be hours behind everyone else who ever plays the game. Makes me sad.

I do too man, I guess it looks like we'll actually have to work most of that day. ;-)

• darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    My Amazon order isn't expected to arrive until the 22nd. That would give me a week to play before I'm off 6 months for work. I'm really considering buying another copy just so I can play as soon as it's released. Like Jay said though, I already spent $100 on a physical CE. This is a terrible predicament to be in.

/firstworldproblems

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    Cutfang wrote: »
    Savant wrote: »

I'm quite sure that when calculating weapon % damage it uses the damage per second of a weapon, so daggers will be just as apt *need confirmation*

I think it really depends on the type of the skill for how it shakes out between fast and slow weapons. In general, from what I've seen it seems like high speed weapons will hit/cast faster with lower damage per individual hit, while slower weapons will cast slower with more damage per hit. So for something like a basic unruned arcane missile DPS will be pretty much all that matters, but for one shot effects limited by more than just cast speed the damage per hit will matter more.

A lot of the skills seem to break down where some will be better for the slower weapons, while others will go the other way or just be roughly equal. Like with the channeled beam spells, the damage ticks faster with faster weapons, but the resource usage ticks faster too. So the DPS will be indifferent to cast speed, but fast weapons will eat up a lot more of your resources.

darklite_x wrote: »
    My Amazon order isn't expected to arrive until the 22nd. That would give me a week to play before I'm off 6 months for work. I'm really considering buying another copy just so I can play as soon as it's released. Like Jay said though, I already spent $100 on a physical CE. This is a terrible predicament to be in.

/firstworldproblems

Why the 22nd? CE? Didn't pick release date shipping?

You're not alone -J-. Mine may show up at around 5:30pm. But I look at it as it giving the servers a chance to pick themselves up after being down all day. Or if they are up and running smoothly UPS better just hate my neighbors and when they showed up so late a few days ago was a fluke. I can never remember when they show up for me...

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    My copy likely won't arrive until late in the day, too. But that's not going to stop me from rushing to the door every time I hear some slight noise.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    Xeddicus wrote: »

/firstworldproblems

You're not alone -J-. Mine may show up at around 5:30pm. But I look at it as it giving the servers a chance to pick themselves up after being down all day. Or if they are up and running smoothly UPS better just hate my neighbors and when they showed up so late a few days ago was a fluke. I can never remember when they show up for me...

I pre-ordered it back in October or something and when I checked lately there's no 'release day' shipping available. It needs to be sent to an APO address though, which pretty much screws me on that. So I'm debating whether or not to pick up a digital copy so I can install that day. Only problem then is what am I going to do with the CE? I can understand having two account in WoW or something, but it seems pointless in D3. I think the best option will be to check out my store on the 15th to see if they have any CE's, then I could snag one of those and just send the other one back to Amazon or gift it or something.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

/firstworldproblems

I pre-ordered it back in October or something and when I checked lately there's no 'release day' shipping available. It needs to be sent to an APO address though, which pretty much screws me on that. So I'm debating whether or not to pick up a digital copy so I can install that day. Only problem then is what am I going to do with the CE? I can understand having two account in WoW or something, but it seems pointless in D3. I think the best option will be to check out my store on the 15th to see if they have any CE's, then I could snag one of those and just send the other one back to Amazon or gift it or something.

I have release date shipping on mine, you can change the shipping options on an existing order. It could entirely be the APO address screwing you, as well.

Pretty sure it is the APO address. Sucks.

But that means they can focus on shipping mine quicker! Silver lining, yeah?!

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    D3's upcoming release has made me go back and try and get through Diablo II, which I never did complete. I've always made it to Act 2 and ended up quitting for one reason or another.

A few weeks ago I finally made it to Duriel and he kicked my ass. I died about 10 times before giving up, and I didn't touch the game again until a few days ago. I started grinding my Barbarian up a little more and giving better gear to my henchman and decided that I was ready to face Duriel once again.

Turns out I wasn't ready! Oh well. I'm not using a guide, so I probably specced my character out poorly anyway.

• VicVic Registered User regular
    Mah summoning build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#afYTQP!eUh!acYZbc

Pretty much based around maximum summons all the time together with Vision Quest. Vision Quest seems perfect for a summoner, since I can keep it up constantly by just resummoning my monsters at every opportunity. I might switch dart for spiders if it turns out that summon collision and lag is not an issue, and charger for fire bats if that turns out to do much more damage. VQ should give me plenty of regen, I just need a big damage spell to dump it with.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Duriel is a horrible bitch.

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Duriel is a horrible bitch.

looking for baal?

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    edited April 2012
    messing with the skill calculator witch doctor just seems far and away the coolest. I think I'm gonna do that instead of monk at launch... not positive but it's very likely.

Variable on
    Duriel kills everyone. Just make sure to open up a TP before going down to his chamber. Also, now that there's respecs in the game it seems like it might be a good idea to just max out one skill then spec out of it once you've beaten Duriel. Hard to say though, I haven't really played in awhile.

To me, the WD seemed like an awful class when they first announced it. Nothing about it excited me, in fact I think I kind of hated it because it felt like they were replacing the Necro with the WD, which upset me. After playing the open beta though, I honestly think it might be my first class. Like I said before, none of them really excite me like the D2 classes did, but I will admit the spider jar and even the blow gun were pretty fun. One problem I had though, is that it seemed grasp of the dead worked way better as a snare than caltrops does, which seems a little disappointing.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    It makes me so sad. and I'm a nightowl, I know I'm gonna be up.

how many times will diablo 3 come out. it might be worth the dough to play it on time.

also that zombie dog build someone posted just made me want to play with doctor. the synergy of it. I just wanna play.

Just to make sure you guys know, it's 12am PDT. So us folk on the east coast have to wait until 3am to play it.

I'm also in the same situation, ordered CE on Amazon. I'm gonna go to work on Tuesday instead of waiting at the door for it to show up.

• ThisThis Registered User regular
    I had a similar issue when I pre-ordered Wrath of the Lich King. It seems to make more sense to just pick it up at the store, no?

Witch Doctor is the class that thematically appeals to me more than any other. Everything about the aesthetic is awesome, as far as I'm concerned. I didn't love the way it played, though. I will still certainly make one, but I found the Monk to be the most interesting class to play, personally. I was planning on a full summoning build for my WD, though, similar to what you guys are posting. Seems like those builds are going to be pretty common (they're awesome, by the way). I'm wondering what a build that completely bypasses the summons would look like?

I know from watching that clip that non-summoner WDs are intended to be completely viable, and I think it could actually be pretty powerful. Maybe something like this? I don't know. I haven't given it much thought; that's like, 100% off the top of my head, lol.

Seems like it could be pretty mean.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    This wrote: »
    I had a similar issue when I pre-ordered Wrath of the Lich King. It seems to make more sense to just pick it up at the store, no?

Living in the city, the closest Gamestop is in the middle of the mall 25-ish blocks away. Since it's in a mall, I highly doubt there's any kind of midnight event going on there, and even if there was the SEPTA subway stops around 12:20am.

I also get Amazon Student at Drexel which came with Amazon Prime for a free 6 months, and a discounted price from there on. So, I just default to Amazon and have my stuff come to me rather than me going to it.

Whether or not that was a good decision for D3....only time will tell =p.

KoopahTroopah on
    I think the digital download makes the most sense, for me, anyway. Having a physical copy of the game's nice and all, but it's only a matter of time before my kids get ahold of it.

I think the digital download makes the most sense, for me, anyway. Having a physical copy of the game's nice and all, but it's only a matter of time before my kids get ahold of it.

It's all about the in-game wings and the art book for me. Big treasures for a franchise that I love. I need to have them.

This discussion has been closed.