As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Western Animation thread

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    No, I mean the rapist version of said character.

Oh, then it's not.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Outside the actual comics, Spectacular Spider-man is the best representation of Spidey in any medium.

Yep. It also has the only incarnation of Venom that makes any sense.

I liked the Spider-man: TAS version.

That one gave the best origin for the symbiote which Spectacular Spider-man copied fairly well. It also gave the strongest motivation for Eddie hating Spider-man/Peter. Other than that I don't think it was anything special.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
    Dritz wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Outside the actual comics, Spectacular Spider-man is the best representation of Spidey in any medium.

Yep. It also has the only incarnation of Venom that makes any sense.

I liked the Spider-man: TAS version.

That one gave the best origin for the symbiote which Spectacular Spider-man copied fairly well. It also gave the strongest motivation for Eddie hating Spider-man/Peter. Other than that I don't think it was anything special.

The lack of motivation for Eddie's hatred in Spectacular Spider-Man was probably the one thing I didn't like about that version of Venom.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Frankly, it was the stupidest motivation.
    "Hey, Pete's totally my best friend in the whole world!"

"Wait, he screwed over Doc Conners? He's a scumbag! I'm going to totally turn into a psychotic murderer and threaten every single person around me! That'll show 'em!"

That said, the end result was indeed great, and had the best on-screen Venom battles of all time.

At least in Ultimate, they gave a small bit of backstory to imply that he wasn't all there to begin with, but there was no indication at all that he was anything besides a stand-up guy in Spectacular.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Is there a place I can catch up on Young Justice, legitimately? I don't think I've seen it on Netflix. (Obviously I could pirate it, but don't want to)
    $50 on iTunes for season 1. Wikipedia says dvd/blurays were already released of s1 in 3 volumes, as well.

Holy shit no! It is definitely on Netflix.

There, I just saved your money.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    ...and this is why I don't bother with anything Marvel animated any more.

I watched some Avengers, and I liked it. I'd been meaning to get back to it with season 2. Now I'm just sort of glad I more or less let it go.

If you haven't watched Spectacular Spider-Man, you absolutely should. And you might as well watch the second season of the Avengers, since not only does it open the show up to the entire Marvel Universe, but it has a scene where the Hulk beats a robot to death by using The Thing as a club.

I thought Spectacular ended early? Is Avengers at least getting a proper finish?

...that one scene sounds worth checking out, at least.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    edited April 2012
    I'm currently watching this cartoon film on Netflix titled Ultimate Avengers: The Movie

So far the animation is atrocious. Did they only have enough money for the third-string backup animation team or something? :?

EDIT: Oof, my inner animation guru forced me to turn this drek off. I can't believe people paid money for such shoddy work.

Godfather on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

I watched some Avengers, and I liked it. I'd been meaning to get back to it with season 2. Now I'm just sort of glad I more or less let it go.

If you haven't watched Spectacular Spider-Man, you absolutely should. And you might as well watch the second season of the Avengers, since not only does it open the show up to the entire Marvel Universe, but it has a scene where the Hulk beats a robot to death by using The Thing as a club.

At any rate, there's been a Pixar update. I'll just run down the future list:

Brave's coming out June 22. If you haven't seen the scene they're using as a trailer, you absolutely should:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXgEgO0MmzU&feature=related

Next June is Monsters University. Apparently back then Mike and Sulley didn't like each other.

The year after that is The Good Dinosaur, a film about what would have happened if dinosaurs never went extinct.

And in 2015, there's currently two films planned. The first is The Untitled Pixar Movie that Takes You Inside the Mind.

And the second is Dia de los Muertos, an original film about The Day of the Dead.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/04/24/pixar-announces-spooky-new-project-for-toy-story-3-director/

...yep, Pixar sure is piling on the sequels.

I love the way they animated her hair. Movie looks fantastic.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    edited April 2012
    Wait, what do you mean "piling on the sequels"?

You listed Monster University; the other three are completely original IPs.

EDIT: Oh geez now I feel like a real dumbass haha :P

Godfather on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure that was sarcasm.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I have a -5 penalty to sense motive checks to detect written sarcasm. :P

But still, Pixar are totally sell outs and will never produce anything of quality again.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

I thought Spectacular ended early? Is Avengers at least getting a proper finish?

...that one scene sounds worth checking out, at least.

Yeah, Spectacular did. It's still worth seeing through to the end if you haven't... the show just keeps getting better and better.

Not sure if the folks who make Avengers got enough advance notice from Red Hulk to make sure the show ends and doesn't just stop at a cliffhanger.

And I'll agree, I'm really, really excited for pretty much everything Pixar's making. I was a little skeptical for a Monsters Inc prequel, but Toy Story 3 managed to be the best of the bunch.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Godfather wrote: »
    I'm currently watching this cartoon film on Netflix titled Ultimate Avengers: The Movie

So far the animation is atrocious. Did they only have enough money for the third-string backup animation team or something? :?

EDIT: Oof, my inner animation guru forced me to turn this drek off. I can't believe people paid money for such shoddy work.

You have to remember that it came out 6 years ago, back before we really had any decent Marvel animation.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

You have to remember that it came out 6 years ago, back before we really had any decent Marvel animation.

Has the recent DTV Marvel animated stuff gotten better? I stopped paying attention when they somehow thought Teen Avengers was an awesome idea.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    is flash point the story about the rapist version of Pigleg?
    369325.jpg

Please tell me this isn't a real thing.

Please.

That's a character from The Tick.

And a villain with the most fantastic backstory ever --- he became a bad guy because he has a pig for a leg.

If you ever get a chance, watch the episode "Heroes" from the second season. Glorious.

Checked it out and I was thinking of Identity Crisis, where a villain suspiciously similar to PigLeg(Dr.Light) gets mind wiped after some angsty writing.

DanHibiki on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    Anyone heard of the Disney short Paperman?

paperman-500x729.jpg?d58414

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04/26/first-poster-for-disneys-paperman-hints-at-its-amazing-groundbreaking-look/

long story short: the short-film blends traditional 2d and 3d cgi animation in some fairly novel ways using some new-fangled proprietary animation software. Here is a bit of discussion from people who have seen it: http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29514&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It is gonna play before Wreck-it Ralph!

Has the recent DTV Marvel animated stuff gotten better? I stopped paying attention when they somehow thought Teen Avengers was an awesome idea.

It's hard to say. The animation quality has probably improved a bit, though it's still nowhere near DC's. I've personally enjoyed all of the DTVs, so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    Spectacular Spider-Man is great, but the ending is rather disappointing, especially since it ends on kind of a cliffhanger (which will of course never be resolved).

sig.gif
    Spectacular Spider-Man is great, but the ending is rather disappointing, especially since it ends on kind of a cliffhanger (which will of course never be resolved).

I agree. Same with Wolverine and the X-Men.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • see317see317 Registered User regular

When the main complaint about a series is that there wasn't enough of it, it's done something right.
    Ultimate spider-man though... I don't think it's going to get any better.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    And EMH is getting cancelled so we can have, in effect, more of the same.

FFS.

• Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular

Enh. WATXM wasn't terrible, but I didn't think it was that great either. And it did at least finish the story arc.

see317 wrote: »

When the main complaint about a series is that there wasn't enough of it, it's done something right.
    I haven't even bothered watching USM. The trailer was terrible and other people who've seen it have said the show is terrible.

sig.gif

Enh. WATXM wasn't terrible, but I didn't think it was that great either. And it did at least finish the story arc.

Well sure, but it still ended on a cliffhanger and you could tell they were planning something pretty big for season 2.

see317 wrote: »

I haven't even bothered watching USM. The trailer was terrible and other people who've seen it have said the show is terrible.

If you think of it as Deadpool: The Series, it's actually not that bad. :rotate:

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA

I guess that explains that film, but doesn't really raise my opinion of it any more. Everything from the lighting to color schemes barely looks two steps ahead of those awfully-animated 90's Marvel cartoons

• Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    New Brave trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFM9aEblzvI&feature=player_embedded

it is definitely the worst, who is in charge of making these things? Not to say the footage looks bad but man what a crummy trailer.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh, neat.

So the Adventure Time comic has been awesome thus far.

How to make it more awesome?

There's going to be a Marceline/PB mini-series as well starting in July.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I wish they'd just come out and make Marceline and/or Princess Bubblegum gay. They'd make a cute couple. And would it really be that much stranger than a stretchy dog and rainicorn, a pig and tiny elephant (an umarried couple living together under the same roof? That'd be indecent.), a boy and fire elemental?

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    But Marceline would have to be bi, seeing as she's had boyfriends before.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So has my lesbian friend. I just think they'd be cute together.

And I still can't believe how much creepy stuff Adventure Time gets away with.
    http://youtu.be/ty2Ca0gLt7I

Invisible on
    So this is now the Anime Thread?

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    And I still can't believe how much creepy stuff Adventure Time gets away with.
    http://youtu.be/ty2Ca0gLt7I

Niiiiice.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    So this is now the Anime Thread?
    If you consider Marvel animation and Adventure Time to be anime.

Quire.jpg
    edited April 2012
    I guess my joke's too obscure. It was in response to Invisible's character shipping.

Nothing against those particular characters, but it's ironic considering my recent (but always lingering) hatred of the common Anime practice of fans shipping to same-sex (90% of the time girls) characters because "they look cute together".

Particularly frustrating as a recent series I watched features a heavy amount of this from the fan community, even though one of the character's actions is entirely motivated around the fact that she is in love with a guy.

I'm also aware of the irony as not too long ago I kind of shipped Artemis and Ms. Martian together, although that was more based on the writer's failed history of wanting to insert a gay character into his cartoon. Also, I thought the scene in question was a deliberate reference to The Runaways.
    And after freaking out over Megan's true appearance, that ship (ha!) has officially sailed

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    what

the fuck

I'm going to assume it's the Weisman bit that has your whats in a fuck, so link for reference: http://www.comicmix.com/news/2008/07/17/interview-greg-weisman-talks-gargoyles/

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    no

no that's not what i'm doing

it's cool man you just

you just keep doing whatever it is you're doing i'm

i'm going to go get a drink

Since I'm responsible for the slight derailment, here's something to put things back on track: Nostalgia Critic covers the G1 Transformers cartoon: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/35022-transformers-cartoon

I hope he eventually covers G.I. Joe.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I cannot stand Nostalgia Critic. His voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

I've heard that complaint a bit, and I do understand it (some of his impersonated voices tend to be grating), but I can also tolerate it. If the material he's covering is stupid enough, it justifies his high-pitched expressions of rage.

Someone I can't stand is Cinema Snob; some people have claimed his voice got better after his early work, so maybe I should give him another shot.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I've heard that complaint a bit, and I do understand it (some of his impersonated voices tend to be grating), but I can also tolerate it. If the material he's covering is stupid enough, it justifies his high-pitched expressions of rage.

Someone I can't stand is Cinema Snob; some people have claimed his voice got better after his early work, so maybe I should give him another shot.

It's to the point that some people actually think his voice is sexy.

This discussion has been closed.