As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Community: Season 4 Premiere February 7, Old Timeslot

• PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I want gifs of Annie's "BOOYAH!" "HAHA!" and victory dance from the courtroom scene ASAP.

So much of this episode was perfect.

Also,
    I vote the forum's glorious edict be changed from "silly goose" to "holocaust denying 911 pedophile."
    Sigged.

Also, also, I vote for a thread title change to "Potatoes love tuber jokes." Written on the whiteboard behind Annie in the "He's been on edge ever since we switched" scene.

PoultryGeist on
    IcdplGM.png
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    So am I the only one that thinks Vicki is cute?

bio_danielle.jpg

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

bio_danielle.jpg

Unless you're Fat Neal, obviously not.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

bio_danielle.jpg

Let me rephrase that: So am I the only one that thinks Danielle Kaplowitz is cute?

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    I think the law and order opening was an homage to law and order's opening

There's just no way that this is even remotely possible.

here's the thing, I had to make that post. it was a response to someone.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    I would still say season 1 was the strongest, sure, but I definitely still love the show. as in it's the best comedy on TV imo. the last few weeks have had phenomenal full on parodies as well as great lower-key episodes. or character episodes, whatever you want to call them. They still "have it" so to speak there's just a different balance now. and I'm fine with that, there's a reason shows change as they get older. some get worse, some just change. better to embrace it and stay good than try to fight it and end up a caricature of what you started as.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

bio_danielle.jpg

I think both Vicki and the actress playing her are adorable.

Eff the haters.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I want gifs of Annie's "BOOYAH!" "HAHA!" and victory dance from the courtroom scene ASAP.

I don't know how big this file is so i'm linking it: i.imgur.com/n7dJb.gif

edit: Also: i.imgur.com/ebSg9.gif

KalTorak on
  • SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm less of a fan of the parody episodes, but this one was great. Maybe it was because it was so dead-on. I also loved that everyone Troy and Abed talked to was busy working.

SarcasmoBlaster on
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    mnihil wrote: »
    Season One was the best, because it walked the line between regular and meta. It indulged in episodes like Modern Warfare (which was genious) and Contemporary American Poultry (or something like that? the Mafia one. which was not so genious), but was mostly about community college with a twist.

Season Two was slightly wilder, but even Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas (which I found weird until the final act) was explained, and explored Abed's character (the same reason I would defend last week's outing).

It's strange, because it usually takes a show to find its identity, but I feel like Season One feels much more hit than miss, whereas Season Three so far has been a toss-up. It's smart. Community will always be smart, because its writers are smart. But what they are doing with it is questionable. It's just too much, I think. This episode showcases that nicely. There's this episode early on in Season One, where Jeff defends Britta, who cheated on a Spanish test. The court is a pool area. The scenario was weird, but the entire process was tied well into its Community college "mythology" and explored its characters. Basic Lupine Urology was, once again, just pretty self-indulgent. Again, well written, I'm sure with a plethora of very smart references thrown in (never watched a single Law and Order episode), but not tied to anything relevant within the show itself. Instead of investigating who these characters are, we have this weird Law and Order scenario, and within this weird scenario, this weird Todd scenario. Encompassing that was the biology teacher who is kinda detached and critical of the shenanigans but also not.

You know, sometimes it's fine to just be a fucking comedy series.

I didn't intend to go on for so long, but I guess I just liked Season One too much to not complain a bit about the recent turn of events. And anyway, with the ratings Community is getting, I wouldn't bet on a renewal.

Edit: Ah, I almost forgot. And, of course, we have the obligatory Britta bash (her only two seconds this episode). Cannot for the life of me imagine why they changed her character into something so pathetic.

I don't really understand your complaint because the episode is based on the characters. Annie and Jeff want to find out who destroyed the Yam because Annie doesn't think a passing grade is good enough, something that's always been a part of her character. Jeff is going to help because he want's to bang Annie. Abed and Troy treat it like they are characters in a show which is something Abed has always done, and something that this season has become something Troy does because he's always hanging out with Abed. Shirley likes to be in charge and uses her knowledge to play a small role in the investigation as well.

Professor Kane has always been confused by the Greendale students who take things way too seriously and overreact to everything.

This is one of the few episodes this season which has actually been based on the idea of them being in college and Annie trying to improve her grade and it even calls back to the Season 1's debate episode.

Not to say you can't enjoy the episode, but the reasons you are complaining about it aren't really true. I've never watched a lot of Law & Order, but I'm going to assume I've seen an episode or two, because at points it time it was on every channel so I must have watched it.

• EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The show has certainly changed since Season 1, but no complaints on my end. There was a flat spot in Season 2 where it was definitely losing it, but this season has been fantastic.

Always happy to see some input from the secondary cast. Go Neil and Vicki!

Evermourn on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    About the ending:
    Starburns was sacrificed for a trope. I like it.

Krathoon on
  • EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I was getting royally sick of Starburns anyway.

Great episode. I especially love how it was mostly played straight.

Favourite moment
    Britta asking to help with her psychology experience and being cut off mid-sentence!

Euphoriac on
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Chang's expression is win.

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Okay, this is weird:

Final 3 episodes will air on a single night (May 17).

It will be 1 episode, then the 30 Rock finale, then the final two episodes. I guess some consider it a vote of confidence, because this is during the final week of sweeps, while as scheduled before, the final episodes were to be after sweeps was over. Or it's just as likely that it's because it's NBC, and they have nothing else (it was scheduled to be two episodes of Awake before, which...is not a great way to end sweeps, to say the least, since Awake's ratings make Community's look almost decent).

Captain Tragedy on
    eep

well it's still THursday so I don't really consider that a bad thing. made me think of AD for a minute where they aired all 4 of the final eps on a friday out of nowhere but this isn't really like that.

These are perfect and I thank you.

IcdplGM.png
    Credit goes to /r/community

• MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    Used to watch a hell of a lot of Law and Order, so everything in this ep was just perfect.

The best of course was "Holocaust Denying 9/11 Pedophile". Using it!

But the theme episodes have to slow down just a little bit.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    edited April 2012
    Why have I never considered that that would exist!

Also, I totally forgot about one of my favourite things from 3x17 - the intro! The altered version of 'At Least It Was Here' was great.

PoultryGeist on
    IcdplGM.png
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    eep

well it's still THursday so I don't really consider that a bad thing. made me think of AD for a minute where they aired all 4 of the final eps on a friday out of nowhere but this isn't really like that.

Yeah, it's pretty different. With AD -

1) It was on a night when it usually didn't air,
    2) that night was Friday, and
    3) that Friday was against the opening ceremony of the Olympics.

Really shitty dump job on Fox's part.

Captain Tragedy on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    In fairness, I'm pretty sure you can't cook a yam that way.

• frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    eep

Yeah, it's pretty different. With AD -

1) It was on a night when it usually didn't air,
    2) that night was Friday, and
    3) that Friday was against the opening ceremony of the Olympics.

Really shitty dump job on Fox's part.

I go with the theory that Fox wanted Arrested Development, America didn't. They gave it 3 seasons where the American public ignored it.

How is Community's ratings? Is it still above what it was before the hiatus or has it dropped back down to the pre-hiatus level?

Also I think this episode proves that they need to dump Chang. As the head of security he would theoritically have been a perfect fit for this episode, but all he had was a cameo. If the writers could not get him to work in this episode, then he is never going to work.

I think that's silly since a lot of people's issue with chang is him being in episodes that don't need him. now they don't force him in and it proves he's bad?

he was perfect I thought.

I think that's silly since a lot of people's issue with chang is him being in episodes that don't need him. now they don't force him in and it proves he's bad?

If he has no use in an episode that is perfectly suited for him (in theory), then he has no use being on the show period. Cutting the budget can only help in getting renewed and Chang is an easy cut that would not hurt the show one bit. Chang was great in the first season, but now he is a legacy character that contributes nothing. Hell at this point I think Starburns was more valuable to the show then Chang is.

well I pretty completely disagree. but that's fine, I see where you're coming from.

Thanks for linking these.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    This episode was so good I followed it up by watching an episode of SVU.

First this then 30 Rock? So good.

Didn't they save money by cutting Starburns?

Didn't they save money by cutting Starburns?

He is a writer for the show so they paid him nothing for the acting (well they might have had to pay some nominal wage per guild rules). Even if he wasn't I doubt the likes of Leonard or Magnitude make as much as Chang.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Choosing to cut Chase and promoting chang would probably save them even more money

steam_sig.png
    Obviously the most expendable character is Britta.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Do you mean least? I think you mean least.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.

If he has no use in an episode that is perfectly suited for him (in theory), then he has no use being on the show period. Cutting the budget can only help in getting renewed and Chang is an easy cut that would not hurt the show one bit. Chang was great in the first season, but now he is a legacy character that contributes nothing. Hell at this point I think Starburns was more valuable to the show then Chang is.

I'd disagree about the Starburns / Chang value heirarchy. Recently they've both become negligible characters who, at best, are there for side gags that could easily be replaced by more table banter. As I recall, recently Starburns has only been used for drug related humor. Maybe that's not the best reason to keep a character around.

I like the Chang character. However, he's definately not significant anymore. I'd be fine with them cutting him or bolstering the role he plays in storylines. Right now he plays an incredibly tepid role who, as you said, is there as a legacy character.

I don't think it'd be that hard to turn Chang into the Dean's sidekick. Whenever we see the Dean, Chang is in tow doing something Changy. I'd be fine with that.

Obviously the most expendable character is Britta.

You shut your dirty mouth!

edited April 2012
    Why get 1 post when you can get 2 for...wait I only clicked once.

I guess Pierce is the most expendable out of the main cast, but he seems to have been moved to a side character anyway, and the opening credits now say "with Chevy Chase" instead of starring Chevy Chase (unless it always said that?).

emp123 on
    edited April 2012
    Since we seem to be discussing disposable characters, I'll raise this question:

What the fuck does Shirley bring to the table?

Pierce at least brings some antagonism / subversion to the group. He's the outsider constantly trying to either win their affection or destroy them. He has some depth.

All Shirley does is act as a religious foil to Britta, a gossip partner with Jeff, or "that's nice". Even when she undergoes moments of growth (that shit with her husband) and depth (the episode wherein we learn she was a drunk) the growth never amounts to any functional change in her character. No matter what happens to her, she reverts back to "oh, that's nice".

We get the female perspective from Annie and Britta.
    We get the black perspective from Troy.
    We get the older perspective from Peirce.

The only unique facets to Shirley's character are the religious tone (which has diminished over time. See the changes over the Christmas episodes) and the motherly vibe, which never actually has an effect on the group. She's the maternal character, and yet other characters play a far greater protective role to Abed and other members of the group in their times of vulnerability. Annie's more of a mother to Abed than Shirley is, and Britta shows more of a desire to want to care for people (read: Psychoanalyze them) than Shirley has.

Oh, and she wants to open a sandwich shop.

If we have to vote someone off the island, I think Shirley is less of a loss than Pierce. Pierce provides conflict and the opportunity for group fracturing. Shirley provides a stereotypical religious straw man and...I guess an embodiment of naive well-intentioned beneficence?

Edit: Predicted first response, "oh, that's not nice."

_J_ on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    That was easily the best episode of Community. It has set a new goal to try and achieve. Hopefully it will inspire the remains of the series.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Shirley is the character they have the hardest time writing for, but they're getting better at it. The thing I enjoy about Shirley is that realistically she's not nice at all. It's just a mask she wears. Shirley plots make whoever she's paired with funnier and more likable, almost universally. Especially Shirley + Jeff plots. Joel and Yvette have really excellent chemistry together. Most importantly, Yvette can make these lines funnier, something Chevy doesn't really do.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    That was easily the best episode of Community. It has set a new goal to try and achieve. Hopefully it will inspire the remains of the series.

It was very good, but definately not the best. It was, "this is how you do an homage episode."