As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kids, no not the movie, we're talking the real deal

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Janson wrote: »
    Cool, I had NO clue either, but I know many people do and end up being right.

I hear it happens like fifty percent of the time.

(sorry this sounds super catty)

Well, it's true there's a 1 in 2 chance! But anecdotally, I know a lot of women whose intuition has been spot on. Of course, sometimes there are factors playing into that (my mother correctly guessed all of us, but then she carried boys and girls very differently).

Premium - awesome gif; love the stars ;)

Also used the Beco Butterfly to take Anya to Target today and it's much easier to use than I had feared! Plus she loved it - fell asleep right away. :3

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I am going to deliberately teach my kid that he lives in Hyrule, because that is awesome

• UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    I may not have kids, but reading a lot of your stories has totally given me hope for the future. Seriously, a lot of the tips in this thread will be very beneficial to me when I'm ready to be a father.

That time is years away yet though, so in the meanwhile, hope you don't mind my occasional question or comment. By the way Quoth, the sweet potato happy face comment was so cute.

Fantastic
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So we needed something to put on baby's hands to stop him scratching himself, couldn't find any mitts (and besides, he loses mitts in like 2 seconds anyway), so I proposed putting some socks on his hands instead.

dscn3344n.jpg

Sot it turns out I accidentally got him ready for the oven. Looks pretty pleased about it though.

Prolegomena on
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Look at that kid's hair! Wow. Cute kid though!

And apparently part of being a dad now is being up at 3am without having spent the last 6 hours playing video games :P

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Piotyr wrote: »
    My son had his kindergarten screening today. He did really well! But, they did mention a couple of his answers:

- When they asked what city he lived in, he responded with "Hyrule"....I asked him about it later and he said he couldn't remember the real one so he made up one to be funny.
    - When they asked him if he had any pets he answered "only imaginary ones, because I wish I had a dog but my dad is allergic to them", and then proceeded to name five imaginary pets.

They were slightly concerned about his ability to distinguish imagination from reality, I was just mostly impressed by his imagination.

You've got a winner there, Piotyr. :)

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

Oh god, I missed @Piotyr's post... That is hilarious!

@Prolegomena your son has awesome hair! How old is he now?

Also Mori is back in our bedroom tonight, hopefully Anya doesn't wake him. Vaguely jealous of his getting a full night's rest, only I suppose it's only fair when he has to work!

The cluster feeds (usually twice a day) are doing my head in... But we get through them in the end.

Goatmon wrote: »
    Piotyr wrote: »
    My son had his kindergarten screening today. He did really well! But, they did mention a couple of his answers:

- When they asked what city he lived in, he responded with "Hyrule"....I asked him about it later and he said he couldn't remember the real one so he made up one to be funny.
    - When they asked him if he had any pets he answered "only imaginary ones, because I wish I had a dog but my dad is allergic to them", and then proceeded to name five imaginary pets.

They were slightly concerned about his ability to distinguish imagination from reality, I was just mostly impressed by his imagination.

You've got a winner there, Piotyr. :)

That is hilarious, Piotyr. Considering that picture you posted a while back of him as Link...

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    He's 3 months and a bit now, we're hoping he doesn't lose all his hair as he looks super cool. He's lost a lot from the back and sides where his head rubs on everything.

It certainly would be a shame if he lost it ! It's lovely and long for 3 and a half months. I had quite a bit of hair when I was born, but it took a while longer to get it to that kind of length. I had a pretty decent ponytail on my first birthday.

Ugh I should sleep, after tonight's cluster feed I probably have about two hours and I'd best take advantage of it!

Two and a half hours! And now I've woken up, not her? :P

She was fussing until I pulled her onto the bed beside me to sleep... She sleeps really well beside me, but somehow has decided only if she's partially on her stomach and snuggled right up to my arm, ack!

• belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    I know I'm late, but my wife never got the nesting instinct, and I ended up paying for it literally. about a month ago she was so upset at the state of the house (I work full time, etc) that she broke down and cried. I had a great service send over two people for $70 an hour and do all of our housework (trash, laundry, dishes, steamclean, etc) we went from level 1 hoarders to Spotless in 5 hours. Final cost was 375.

She's still crying but I think it's because she's happy.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Good man belligerent! You've saved your marriage!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    That was a sensible and sweet thing to do!

Our apartment was absolutely spotless the night I went into labour but of course that meant I has zero energy left for giving birth itself. Luckily everything went as smoothly as it did...

Also Anya just slept from 2 am to 6 am! :shock:

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    You will remember every sleeping milestone. The first time they sleep 4 hours. The first time they sleep 8 hours and convince you that they've died because you wake up after six hours of uninterrupted sleep and that's impossible. The first time they wake up every two hours right after you've gotten used to them sleeping through the night. It's amazing how kids can focus your mind on sleep.

My kid continues to reject eating

Tried to give him some homemade sweet potato fries yesterday, no dice

My friend ended up eating them so it's not like they were gross :(

This morning, he reportedly cried through breakfast and took forever to nap

At this point, I'm ready to give daycare a shot because I think maybe the routine will straighten him out?

• PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    You will remember every sleeping milestone....The first time they sleep 8 hours and convince you that they've died because you wake up after six hours of uninterrupted sleep and that's impossible.

Oh man, this is so true! The first time my son slept through the night, I woke up, saw that it was morning, and was instantly panicked that he had stopped breathing.

edited April 2012
    @Peen & Piotyr: Yup, me too. Some things are just universal.

@Quoth, yeah, trying to get a routine for them is so hard. Eventually you'll discover that certain daycares work better towards getting your kid straightened out than others and it in fact has nothing to do with the quality of the daycare.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    Oh god

I was watching her sleep and trying to text a friend at the same time, and of course my phone slips out of my hand and lands on Anya's head. From a distance of about an inch but still arrrgh :((((

Anyway I rubbed her head for a while and she seems okay and you bet I am never doing that again.

Mori is still asleep! It's 10.30 am and I reckon even I got about 6 hours of sleep!

The only problem is, the way I attained this magical night was to have Anya sleeping on the bed right next to me (I tried to have her facing away but that didn't work).

• premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Oh god

I was watching her sleep and trying to text a friend at the same time, and of course my phone slips out of my hand and lands on Anya's head. From a distance of about an inch but still arrrgh :((((

Anyway I rubbed her head for a while and she seems okay and you bet I am never doing that again.

Mori is still asleep! It's 10.30 am and I reckon even I got about 6 hours of sleep!

The only problem is, the way I attained this magical night was to have Anya sleeping on the bed right next to me (I tried to have her facing away but that didn't work).

Babies are tougher than they look I'm sure she's fine!

We had our kid sleep like that a few times too... sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do until they learn better sleeping habits.

It's slowly starting to creep into my consciousness why parents talk about sleep and their sleep habits all the time, including the notes in this thread.

Syphyre wrote: »
    It's slowly starting to creep into my consciousness why parents talk about sleep and their sleep habits all the time, including the notes in this thread.

Now you know why you thought your parents were so boring when you were a teenager.

Mori has had ten straight hours of sleep but I guess he is still sleeping because he is 'so, so tired' :P

Now you know why you thought your parents were so boring when you were a teenager.

I thought it was because I spent every waking hour reading, on the SNES, or on the PC.

I don't begrudge him his sleep I just wanted to fix some breakfast :( Anya is awake and is fed, just wants to be held. :(

wrap her up, strap her on. I know you're already doing that but we'd wear our daughter around the house all of the time, she loved it.

I shall, just haven't been able to brush my hair or do anything other than shower yet! But I need to do laundry... huggies suck; I was using them because we were given a pack, but she blew through 5 outfits and 3 blankets yesterday! I think I'll keep the rest for emergencies only! The washing up also needs to be done, and I could clean bathroom... so yeah, I foresee plenty of wearing her today.

Pampers all the way, fo sho

Were you going to try cloth diapers?

Cloth rules, disposable drools

No, in the end I decided not to; there's really nowhere we could've stored the dirty cloth diapers for the diaper service to come and pick up, and we certainly couldn't be washing at home (wouldn't want to use apartment laundry facilities and also far too expensive).

Pampers really are awesome. She literally just pooped and it's all snug and secure down there. ;)

Haha, don't get me wrong, you'll have leaks

But I find they tend to happen mostly when there's a size transition going on

Man she looks so tiny in photos. I mean, she is tiny, it's just reinforced when I take a photo of her with me:

beco_01.jpg

and from the front because I really like the Beco's pattern:

beco_02.jpg

On the plus side, this time the baby bump is removable.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    She is tiny! Have you got used to the idea of being a mum yet?

• testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    Haha, don't get me wrong, you'll have leaks

But I find they tend to happen mostly when there's a size transition going on

It seems to a be a young-baby thing... when their poop solidifies more as they're older, the leaking basically stops. But both of our kids were ruining outfits like mad in the first few months (the wee one is still doing it...). The first time around I thought it was a problem with the cloth diapers we were using, but our youngest manages to breach the seals on the disposable ones pretty regularly.

Yay feces! :D

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
    Nope, not at all! I feel like an imposter.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Aww :)

All you new mums and dads are doing great, its lovely to read this thread.

I'm still trying to figure out what to DO though. I mean all we're good for, for the next several months, is just making sure she continues to live and grow and thrive! When do I get to start teaching her about analytical geometry? :D

Start now! It's amazing what babies and small children pick up from just your normal activities, when you think they're not even paying attention.

I thought it was because I spent every waking hour reading, on the SNES, or on the PC.

Touché

This discussion has been closed.