As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SW:TOR]: PvP Thread. Ilum, you are terrible.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Wasn't a mancer trying to hit 50 on an ACless Trooper? I recall seeing them in a WZ a while back.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    What exactly does MVP voting do?

Is there any point to it besides an ego boost?

• DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    What exactly does MVP voting do?

Is there any point to it besides an ego boost?

You get a modest raise in rewards for it. Like, 1 more commendation per vote. It's not that big of a deal. It does feel nice when someone notices your achievement, though.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
    There seems to be a lot of disparity in how people vote.

I usually vote for the people who have the most objective points and most medals but I see lots for most damage. If we're talking output, I'd rather vote for the person with the most healing.

Huttball story:

There is a guy on our server who has full BM and I see in WZ's all the time that had no idea what to do with the ball at the goal line.

I was at the top of the stairs down to the opposition goal line and was getting held so I passed the ball to this "veteran" who was right at the GL. He runs toward the edge of the pit.

The edge of the pit is in the OPPOSITE direction from the goal line everyone.

He immediately gets pulled down in while three of us are screaming for him to pass up.

To which we get this response:

"How do you pass?"

I politely (I really was polite) tell him.

I usually check out people's gear and valor rank for a semblance of their pvp knowledge but I can no longer rely on that anymore.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Is there anything useful to buy with WZ comms before 50? I already got a full set of the lvl 40 gear, the 30-something weapon, before 1.2 but I've capped out again. I don't really use the consumable stuff. Should I convert it to ranked WZ comms if that's an option?

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    The problem I have with Huttball is
    A. If you're not a jedi you're much less useful
    B. It requires a level of teamwork and game knowledge that is almost never found in pugs

The problem I have with Huttball is
    A. If you're not a jedi you're much less useful
    B. It requires a level of teamwork and game knowledge that is almost never found in pugs

Well, there are exceptions. BH tanks have both a pull AND a charge, so it's not just jedi rocking it.

Snipers are hands down the best to defend because they can become immune to cc, have a HUGE instant knockback, and can provide 20% defense to their team while they're at it.

Mercenaries have 1 or 2 knockbacks depending on talents (pretty handy).

Extricate on sorcerers is currently a bit too good for huttball, I think. Restricting it to only healers would go a long way to helping with that.

Really, the only class with bad utility in huttball are dps operatives. You can make the argument that their main goal is in killing the sorcerers setting up for an extricate, but it's not close to the same utility other classes get.

I'm a dps operative :(

Does anyone here play on Black Vulkars? It'd be nice to be part of a team.

• NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    The SE++ guild <Wampa Milk> is on Black Vulkars.

A friend and I just joined up with them.

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Operatives have stealth. Sitting in the goal zone stealthed is pretty good utility in Huttball.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    Fonjo wrote: »
    The SE++ guild <Wampa Milk> is on Black Vulkars.

A friend and I just joined up with them.

Yeah but no one in wampa milk plays pvp

• NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    Ah. My friend and I do but I am level 20 at highest and he is level 44 or so.

We mostly joined to have other people to chat with occasionally and have support for ops/flashpoints.

• NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Operatives have stealth. Sitting in the goal zone stealthed is pretty good utility in Huttball.

This is not wrong by any stretch. My brother and I roll together. I'm a tank spec'd Shadow (in dps gear) and he's a tank spec'd Guardian (in tank gear). When he has the ball, it's my job to stealth to positions where he can force leap to. All the opponents ever see is him leaping to ... no one. Huttball is usually the match I have the least medals but even if no one else knows what I did ... I know.

I rocked.

• skippymchaggisskippymchaggis Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Wasn't a mancer trying to hit 50 on an ACless Trooper? I recall seeing them in a WZ a while back.

Kendaila did get to 50 as a trooper. I remember he said the hardest thing about it was no interupt. He topped damage charts on occasion. When he finally spec'ed Vanguard DPS, his dps went nuts.

• IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular

Kendaila did get to 50 as a trooper. I remember he said the hardest thing about it was no interrupt.
    So it's the same as being a Commando!

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
    @Lewie P's Stepdad

I stumbled across this operative pvp video in Huttball. It's commentated and has some interesting tips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq5Xdtk8S8U

• devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    The only time I seem to get my ass kicked in sub 50 pvp when I'm playing as Barkevious is when I face a group of RCers in a premade. I don't mean to do a whole lolNon-PAers are Charles Barkley level Turrible, but seriously non-PAers are turrible for below level 50 pvp. This may be because people are getting too deep into PVP right when they hit level 10 and have no abilities they can use yet.

Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • exmelloexmello Registered User regular
    devCharles wrote: »
    The only time I seem to get my ass kicked in sub 50 pvp when I'm playing as Barkevious is when I face a group of RCers in a premade. I don't mean to do a whole lolNon-PAers are Charles Barkley level Turrible, but seriously non-PAers are turrible for below level 50 pvp. This may be because people are getting too deep into PVP right when they hit level 10 and have no abilities they can use yet.

Pew pew.

• MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    So I just got my account setup and am installing right now. I mostly pvp in any game I play, with a fair amount of experience in WoW, LoL and Eve pvp, along with a few other assorted games here and there. I'm planning on rolling Republic to play with friends. What should I roll if I want to wreck face in pvp? I prefer tanky classes, or least something that doesn't vanish in an instant. Any advice on what to do/what I should play?

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Tank Shadow.

Stealth, Damage, Utility, Survivability

Go straight up tank spec and wear dps gear.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    Second the Tank Shadow idea.

I'm also fond of Vanguards because of the pull into acid/endless death thing - not sure if that's something Shadows do.

"Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    So Ive basically only PvPd with my healing spec sorc and Im not entirely sure how to spec her. Heres her current spec and I have no idea where to put the last point. I want to keep her viable for both PvE and PvP healing...

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Second the Tank Shadow idea.

I'm also fond of Vanguards because of the pull into acid/endless death thing - not sure if that's something Shadows do.

Tank shadow gets a pull.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    Meeqe wrote: »
    So I just got my account setup and am installing right now. I mostly pvp in any game I play, with a fair amount of experience in WoW, LoL and Eve pvp, along with a few other assorted games here and there. I'm planning on rolling Republic to play with friends. What should I roll if I want to wreck face in pvp? I prefer tanky classes, or least something that doesn't vanish in an instant. Any advice on what to do/what I should play?

I'd say just go with what you want--it seems like most classes can bust heads if they're played right? I used to play a Juggernaut in PvP a lot, and am now playing a Marauder near level 40 (so Knight/Sentinel, if I'd been republic), and I feel like I see a lot of individuals who can represent a class like a badass? So pick what you think seems cool. Although Shadows do look pretty cool.

• MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    Think I'm going to head Commando, I like the bits of healing that it has and the burst doesn't seem bad. Not sure if it'll work out in the long run, but you guys gave me lots to think about.

edited May 2012
    So I hit 42 over the weekend on my Sage, 42 is the level where you get Rescue. I spent the next few hours queueing warzones with my buddy, laughing manically, and the words "I AM A GOLDEN GOD" may have been said more than a few times in rounds of Huttball. It's fun having 4 minute games, with less than 20k damage or healing done but a 14k+ objective score. >.> Why did I play a Commando for so long?
    golden_god.jpg

So fun story from yesterday morning low level queues:

So I queue on my Sage, yay Sageball. Start off with the normal mad dash towards mid... Now I know we have eight people on our team, why are only five in range? Anyway, I'm healing, we're not wiping but we're not really getting anywhere either. Ball hasn't left mid for the first three or so minutes, just keeps going back and forth. They finally notice me healing off to the side and kill me, while I'm waiting to respawn I find our other three.

There are three Funslingers crouched behind cover in our end zone. O_o What what WHAT? Now, keep in mind the ball still hasn't left mid, so they're not killing the ball carrier. Are they concerned about their KD ratio? There aren't tickets on these maps people!

Ishtaar on
  • CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Meeqe wrote: »
    Think I'm going to head Commando, I like the bits of healing that it has and the burst doesn't seem bad. Not sure if it'll work out in the long run, but you guys gave me lots to think about.

There are plenty of Commandos who've made me swear at them in PvP--so have fun with that!

I've been playing an Annihilation Sentinel, and I topped the healing charts on a Huttball win the other day (woo, no healers), at which point I started yelling "I AM THE GREATEST HEALER ALIVE!!" in General Chat. I really like that they started keeping track of how many kills/wins/medals you've racked up. If there's anything I love, it's numbers that extol my persistence.

CowShark on
    Is this happening to anyone else:

Q WZ and get into a Civil War.

There are only 6 of us. We get to the middle, almost cap the middle (with no resistance) and the match ends.

There were three of them.

We received a defeat. No turrets were capped and none of us were killed.

I am wondering if the short manned team got a defeat too.

Shawnasee wrote: »
    Is this happening to anyone else:

Q WZ and get into a Civil War.

There are only 6 of us. We get to the middle, almost cap the middle (with no resistance) and the match ends.

There were three of them.

We received a defeat. No turrets were capped and none of us were killed.

I am wondering if the short manned team got a defeat too.

God I wish, Im getting a lot of:
    Queue for warzones
    Wait 5 minutes
    Get in and theres only 5 of you
    Get rocked by full team.

Even happens in Huttball where it should be really easy to get 2 teams of 6.

Oh well, at least the matches are short.

edited May 2012
    So not listed on today's patch notes, apparently the PvP daily has changed from three wins to: "Warzone Matches Played: 0/6" My first reaction was "WTF lame" but I guess a win counts as two games played, so three wins will still complete the daily. (One win or two losses for low level)

Ishtaar on
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    I miss RS and CM :( but I haven't had the burning desire to log in for a while. So dank close to warhero too :(

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Greg USN wrote: »
    I miss RS and CM :( but I haven't had the burning desire to log in for a while. So dank close to warhero too :(
    We're gonna be short Aquilalux this Wednesday, you should come provide some EVIL heals.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Ishtaar wrote: »
    So not listed on today's patch notes, apparently the PvP daily has changed from three wins to: "Warzone Matches Played: 0/6" My first reaction was "WTF lame" but I guess a win counts as two games played, so three wins will still complete the daily. (One win or two losses for low level)

That's an awesome change. Though they should have changed it to 3 games played. Did the weekly change too?

edited May 2012
    Invisible wrote: »

That's an awesome change. Though they should have changed it to 3 games played. Did the weekly change too?
    I'm 99% sure the weekly is still nine wins, but I'm at work and have no way to verify atm. Still not bad.

Ishtaar on
  • AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    It's still 9 wins. I was on this morning and played.

edited May 2012

I really really like this change since I almost always lose in warzones. Getting 3 wins could take 3+ hours of constant pvping. The Empire on my server is terrible, I have no idea how we're so bad. Actually I do, they dont protect the healers and they dont go after the other sides healers.

emp123 on
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    Greg USN wrote: »
    We're gonna be short Aquilalux this Wednesday, you should come provide some EVIL heals.

I have a prior commitment sadly but if it falls through I can help, just don't count on me being on =/

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
    What are you guys spending your WZ comms on once you are full BM?

Is there a limit on Ranked WZ comms?

• StrikaStrika Registered User regular
    wz comms convert into ranked wz comms 30-1, and then you can buy war hero gear.

Strika wrote: »
    wz comms convert into ranked wz comms 30-1, and then you can buy war hero gear.

It's 3:1, by way of 30 for 10.

Hell of a grind though. I've given up on it. Hopefully they'll put in ranked warzones sometime.