As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Computer Build Thread] - Did you remember to plug in the CPU power cable?

• VeganVegan Registered User regular
    I actually turn off my computer at night now that I have an SSD. 30 second boot up, 5 second shut down, might as well.

It's funny, the longest part of my boot up time is actually the damn POST. As soon as I see "Starting up Windows", it's gone in an instant and I'm ready to go. Ha!

steam_sig.png
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    A discouraging thing I read about SSDs in this thread is how they're not particularly plug-n-play. Someone was saying you have to read internet guides and set them up optimally and configure things in the BIOS and shit and I started getting intimidated.

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
    edited April 2012
    Well, you don't HAVE to, it's just an optimization thing. The only BIOS thing is to make sure your SATA is set to AHCI *before* installing Windows.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds A lot of this guide is simply checking to make sure Windows recognized it properly as an SSD.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the issue is that alot of stuff that you probably don't want to be taking up your precious SSD space likes to default to your C:\ drive. So if you only want stuff on your SSD that you actually want there, you need to set it up so that everything else gets directed to your storage drive.

• Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    I have two ssds running in two separate machines. One on it's own and one with a secondary mechanical drive. Just did basic connect the cables and install windows on both and they zip along.

The extra stuff folks in here are doing are optimizations for splitting stuff between an ssd and an hdd, but they aren't strictly required tweaks

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    Windows 8 consumer preview
    What... is this? A free version of what will be the newest Windows? I don't want to buy W7 (still using XP on this machine) only to have W8 come out shortly after, so the idea of using a free preview as a bridge to whenever the final product is released and then buying that seems nifty. But maybe that's a bad idea?

it's a beta for the next version of windows, but it's mostly focused on tablets/phones/touch screen devices. I'd suggest trying it out before buying it as it is a very different UI experience than windows 7. My suggestion is to stick win win7, win8 is looking like it's going to be a "Vista" in terms of adoption rates, and it really doesn't add anything new besides metro UI.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
    Moving into a basement apartment where I can be more independent. I have the idea of building a living area PC on my mind a lot. Running games or 1080p video on a massive mounted HDTV sounds effin' awesome to me, and then I could keep this current desktop in an office for some LAN shenanigans with visitors. This is pre-build musing, of course, because I'll have to find a job in the city first.

I suppose I can be called a heavy duty PC user, not only playing lots of games but working on massive files in Photoshop while running a podcast or video in the background whilst browsers remain open or something.

Some initial curiosities:

Windows 8 consumer preview
    What... is this? A free version of what will be the newest Windows? I don't want to buy W7 (still using XP on this machine) only to have W8 come out shortly after, so the idea of using a free preview as a bridge to whenever the final product is released and then buying that seems nifty. But maybe that's a bad idea?

SSD love
    I read a lot of love for SSD's performance and it is certainly intriguing, but you're buying so much less space that it's not like I'd be able to install many games on it (especially with how big games are getting). So if I'm putting my Steam into a storage, spindle drive, what's the point of the SSD? It would take 30 seconds to boot up instead of two minutes? I could load forums faster? That sounds only marginally enticing

I also toyed with the idea of just running my gaming rig on a TV -- there are a LOT of downsides to that configuration, at least there were with my set up. A 50" plasma TV may seem like the world's most awesome computer monitor, but actually reading anything on the display was a bit challenging. Plus, finding a proper seating configuration was a challenge -- you do not want to mouse/keyboard game from your couch, much like you probably don't want to Photoshop from your couch. I think people tend to underestimate the workspace that a proper computer setup provides, I know I did when I ditched my desktop and went laptop-only for a year. I found that the laptop just sat at my desk, because that was the best place to get stuff done (fun or otherwise). iPads are great on the couch, PCs are great on the desk. Just my two cents, and maybe I misunderstand the configuration you're proposing, but if you have a laptop or any other way you can test what it would be like to actually use a TV as your primary monitor beforehand, you may find that you just want to have a proper desk. Good luck with the job search!

edited April 2012
    That's a really resonant point actually. It'd be a thrill for gaming but readability and other usage is very significant. I'm going to tool around with how I want to set things up some more, and maybe will end up with a PC (salvaged from this current one probably) that will act like a games console/media center, and then a proper workstation in the office where I'll do the arting (the new build).

Edit: I don't actually have the TV yet either. It's all a part of the single guy buying toys quest.

Edit 2: Although something about my current desktop struggles with 1080p video, which is unfortunate. I have a Core 2 Quad Q6600 but VLC doesn't support multicore playback yet. Maybe soon!

.Tripwire. on
  • kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
    Hmm that seems a bit odd -- what kind of video card is in your current rig? I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject, but my expectation is that the graphics hardware plays an important role in the decoding ability of a machine. If you've got a Core 2 Quad I'm assuming something like an 8800GT?

8800GTS, it's laggy with certain H264 files but I don't know if codec has much to do with it.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I'd say an i7 is worthwhile for heavy photoshop while multitasking other things. But it depends on budget

From what I've seen as a heavy photoshop user, PS doesn't gain all too much from the HT. Most other adobe products do though.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Eh, my only computer is hooked up to my TV and readability is fine. Of course, the layout of your room is going to factor into that. I'm sitting just a few feet from my 42" 1080p.

As for KBAM gaming... a coffee table, no biggie.

steam_sig.png
  • AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    anyone have any experience with the netgear n900 router? i have one in the box still but dont need it because i have time warner wideband which comes with an arris is both cable modem and router.

I am considering calling road runner and having them flip the modem to bridge mode because they do not give you any control over the router at all. They do not even let you log into the gui to set your own preferences.

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular

SSD love
    I read a lot of love for SSD's performance and it is certainly intriguing, but you're buying so much less space that it's not like I'd be able to install many games on it (especially with how big games are getting). So if I'm putting my Steam into a storage, spindle drive, what's the point of the SSD? It would take 30 seconds to boot up instead of two minutes? I could load forums faster? That sounds only marginally enticing

just get a steammover and keep your top 3 games or whatever on the SSD and move all others to the storage drive. Move games back and forth depending on what you anticipate you'll be playing a lot of. Many games, older ones or smaller indie games you wouldn't see much of a difference in anyway so they can stay permanently on the storage drive. SSD was easily the best computer upgrade I've ever done and I will refuse to run a machine ever again without having an SSD.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    So, nvidia just announced a bunch of new cards. But they're listed as OEM. I'm guessing that means we're not going to be able to buy them.

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    So, nvidia just announced a bunch of new cards. But they're listed as OEM. I'm guessing that means we're not going to be able to buy them.

A lot of them end up hitting the retail market one way or another. The 6770, for example, was OEM only to begin with.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

SSD love

just get a steammover and keep your top 3 games or whatever on the SSD and move all others to the storage drive. Move games back and forth depending on what you anticipate you'll be playing a lot of. Many games, older ones or smaller indie games you wouldn't see much of a difference in anyway so they can stay permanently on the storage drive. SSD was easily the best computer upgrade I've ever done and I will refuse to run a machine ever again without having an SSD.

This.

@.Tripwire.: The reason you see most of us doing what seems like "a lot" of setup on our SSD/HDD splits, is because we are heavily optimizing what we want on the SSD. The fact is, it's actually not a lot of setup. If done the Windows Audit Mode way, it takes five extra minutes at Windows install time. From there, it's just a matter of using SteamMover to manage your Steam game install locations. You keep your top two or three games on the SSD, and the ones you play rarely or don't gain much from the SSD over on the spindle drive.

It's very simple, and you shouldn't feel intimidated by it. You already have enough computer knowledge to ask good questions, so you have enough computer knowledge to handle a proper SSD/HDD setup.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    So, I don't in fact have a mounting bracket for the SSD I got for my parents' computer (I ordered one, it just never showed up, apparently). I think I'm either going to just leave it in there loose, or secure it to the lowest 3.5" bay with one screw.

On a scale from "I'll just touch this metal pole occasionally instead of wearing an anti-static strap" to "oh, only a two-prong power plug? That's okay, I'll just cut the ground off the cord coming from the power supply," where does this rate?

edited April 2012
    Towards the anti-static strap side. I had my SSD loose in my machine for like two months. As long as the machine isn't getting moved it's fine. They have no moving parts, so there's no vibration or anything. Your biggest fear is that it some how works itself unplugged, doubly bad if this happens during a big file op, as it may live part of your NAND with corrupt data. If the machine is never moved, this is highly unlikely.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Towards the anti-static strap side. I had my SSD loose in my machine for like two months. As long as the machine isn't getting moved it's fine. They have no moving parts, so there's no vibration or anything. Your biggest fear is that it some how works itself unplugged, doubly bad if this happens during a big file op, as it may live part of your NAND with corrupt data. If the machine is never moved, this is highly unlikely.
    This is what I figured. The thing is going to be sitting in the same place for the foreseeable future, I'll secure it when I get back here for Christmas, I think.

Thanatos wrote: »
    So, I don't in fact have a mounting bracket for the SSD I got for my parents' computer (I ordered one, it just never showed up, apparently). I think I'm either going to just leave it in there loose, or secure it to the lowest 3.5" bay with one screw.

On a scale from "I'll just touch this metal pole occasionally instead of wearing an anti-static strap" to "oh, only a two-prong power plug? That's okay, I'll just cut the ground off the cord coming from the power supply," where does this rate?

I think I managed to line up two screw holes to mount mine. It's far from rock-solid secure, but it doesn't have to be. The other really popular option it to mount it using velcro strips.

My Corsair 500R has 2.5" drive holes in the tool-less drive shuttles, so my SSD is firmly secured now.

edited April 2012
    Fuck.

Got this baby put together, but when I hit the power button, it powers up for half a second, then shuts off. The passive power is working fine (I get lights on the speakers and modem when it's plugged in and the power supply is on). I've re-seated the power, re-seated the RAM; any suggestions other than "borked motherboard?"

Thanatos on
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, fuckity fucking fuck fuck.

I pulled everything except the RAM, the processor, and the power switch wire. Still doing it. Tried pulling the power switch off, and shorting that connection instead. Still doing it.

Also, I tried starting it with the RAM in different slots, and with only one stick of RAM (trying each one once). I think this mobo is fucked.

Thanatos on

I pulled everything except the RAM, the processor, and the power switch wire. Still doing it. Tried pulling the power switch off, and shorting that connection instead. Still doing it.

Also, I tried starting it with the RAM in different slots, and with only one stick of RAM (trying each one once). I think this mobo is fucked.

Common "holy shit, how could I have forgotten that" mistake is not plugging in the 4/8 pin power connection for the CPU and only plugging in one power line for a GPU that needs two.

TheCanMan wrote: »

Common "holy shit, how could I have forgotten that" mistake is not plugging in the 4/8 pin power connection for the CPU and only plugging in one power line for a GPU that needs two.
    4-pin power connection for the CPU fan is in. The fans even spin up; they just die after less than a second. I plugged in both power lines for the GPU, back when it was in there (I pulled it to see if it was the problem).

Double-checked the CPU, it's seated fine. Tried clearing CMOS; still not working.

• AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular

4-pin power connection for the CPU fan is in. The fans even spin up; they just die after less than a second. I plugged in both power lines for the GPU, back when it was in there (I pulled it to see if it was the problem).

Double-checked the CPU, it's seated fine. Tried clearing CMOS; still not working.

Did your motherboard/case come with a speaker? Most of them don't build them in any more, but you might be able to snag some error codes if the motherboard is working at all.

he's not talking about the fan for your cpu, there is a 4 or 8 pin power connector near your cpu on the motherboard, looks sorta like the ones on graphics cards. you need to plug the power lead from the psu into that or the cpu wont get any power.

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular

No, there are two power connections onto the motherboard - a big one and one that will be either 4 or 8 pins.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
    So, I figured let's kick this all the way back to basics, on the off hand that it's something in the case shorting the mobo. So, I have the mobo sitting outside of the case, on an anti-static bag. I pulled the RAM out, too. So, the only components we have are the processor, processor fan, and power supply. It should at least boot, correct? Then give me a POST error re: the RAM, right?

Same goddamn thing. I even found an on-board power switch, so the power switch isn't even wired to the board.

• centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    Have you tried a different PSU?

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
    Have you tried a different PSU?
    i'm at my parents' place. They, unfortunately, do not have spare PSUs sitting around.

edited April 2012
    Foomy wrote: »

he's not talking about the fan for your cpu, there is a 4 or 8 pin power connector near your cpu on the motherboard, looks sorta like the ones on graphics cards. you need to plug the power lead from the psu into that or the cpu wont get any power.

I read Than's response but totally glanced over the "fan" part. I'm glad a couple of you caught that for me.

@Thanatos Did you see this response?

I have no idea what motherboard you have, but there should be something like this (this one is an 8-pin, they can also be 4-pin):
    mFMQa.png

TheCanMan on
    edited April 2012

I read Than's response but totally glanced over the "fan" part. I'm glad a couple of you caught that for me.

@Thanatos Did you see this response?

I have no idea what motherboard you have, but there should be something like this (this one is an 8-pin, they can also be 4-pin):
    mFMQa.png
    I got it working, now. And this totally wasn't the reason. The real reason is just way too complicated, and I don't think you guys would understand it.
    Thanks, guys! You're the best!

In my defense, the instruction booklet Biostar sent with this thing was clearly translated by Google, so it did seem like that was just for a beefier fan.

Thanatos on
    hehe, forgetting the 8 pin cpu connector and than freaking out over a computer not booting is something most people building a computer for the first time go through.

glad you got it all working now.

hehe, forgetting the 8 pin cpu connector and than freaking out over a computer not booting is something most people building a computer for the first time go through.

This is, like, the sixth or seventh computer I've done from the ground up. The second one this year, even. I'm not sure how I managed to miss that. :oops:

Glad to help. But also kinda guilty that the thought of you having completely disassemble and now reassemble your system all because you missed a single power connection made me snicker a bit.

Glad to help. But also kinda guilty that the thought of you having completely disassemble and now reassemble your system all because you missed a single power connection made me snicker a bit.
    Took me about five minutes.

Not a lot there, and once you do it once, it's way easier to put everything back than it was to get together the first time.

Never make that mistake again, though.

This is, like, the sixth or seventh computer I've done from the ground up. The second one this year, even. I'm not sure how I managed to miss that. :oops:

Which is why I listed it as a "Common holy shit, how could I have forgotten that" mistake". It's pretty much the first thing that's usually asked when anyone has a problem with a new build.

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular

Which is why I listed it as a "Common holy shit, how could I have forgotten that" mistake". It's pretty much the first thing that's usually asked when anyone has a problem with a new build.

Yeah, we've all done it before. Keeps me humble.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
This discussion has been closed.