As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kids, no not the movie, we're talking the real deal

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I imagine you can never start too early with analytical geometry!

• Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    Piotyr wrote: »
    Start now! It's amazing what babies and small children pick up from just your normal activities, when you think they're not even paying attention.

Too right! My daughter's still not really speaking much, but she sure as heck understands 99% of what we say, even when I expect it to be too complex for her to grasp.
    I mean, complex math is probably not something they'll be doing soon, but it can't hurt to try. :)

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Syphyre wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure out what to DO though. I mean all we're good for, for the next several months, is just making sure she continues to live and grow and thrive! When do I get to start teaching her about analytical geometry? :D

What you'll find is you don't raise kids so much as keep them from killing themselves.

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    I'm still trying to figure out what to DO though. I mean all we're good for, for the next several months, is just making sure she continues to live and grow and thrive! When do I get to start teaching her about analytical geometry? :D

Grab a textbook and start reading her chapters! At the very least, she will enjoy listening to the sound of your voice.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular

Push her. Drive her. She's only as great as you make her.
    I kid, I kid. Just don't drop her down the stairs and keep a lot of books around and she'll be fine.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Heh

There has to be the one mother on the baby forums who's already got a six-pack stomach back, has had zero problems breastfeeding, had an all-natural birth, and whose baby is already sleeping 6 hours at night

Also she has some vendetta against epidurals, but not narcotics, which I find a bit bizarre as narcotics affect the baby whereas epidurals really only affect the mother (hence I skipped any other pain meds and went straight for the epi). Apparently if you have an epidural it's 'unnatural' but if you managed to avoid the epi (regardless of whatever other medication you had) it's 'natural'

Pffft

• Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    It may be because I'm male, but I'll probably never understand why method of birth is even a thing

Shouldn't it just be, like, do whatever's best for kid and mom?

• Options
    Yeah

There are disadvantages and advantages to each kind

and of course it also depends on many, many, many factors

I did want a natural, unmedicated birth just because it generally leads to the quickest recovery for the mother, and being young and healthy I had no reason not to be able to manage it. But I ended up being so tired on the actual day (lack of sleep plus 5 hours of housework = tired before the contractions even started) that I chose the epi in the end because otherwise I don't know I could've made it. Also, my body was in no way prepared for labour whatsoever.

Basically though there is no perfect way to give birth. Pretty much every method sucks ;) It's all about finding the least sucky for you.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I think people put a lot of faith into their chosen method because they have to, since it's such a vital moment for their life and the life of their child. So if someone else has a different opinion on the best method, obviously that means they think your method was harmful for the child and they're judging you for using it, so you get all defensive.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Janson wrote: »
    Heh

There has to be the one mother on the baby forums who's already got a six-pack stomach back, has had zero problems breastfeeding, had an all-natural birth, and whose baby is already sleeping 6 hours at night

Also she has some vendetta against epidurals, but not narcotics, which I find a bit bizarre as narcotics affect the baby whereas epidurals really only affect the mother (hence I skipped any other pain meds and went straight for the epi). Apparently if you have an epidural it's 'unnatural' but if you managed to avoid the epi (regardless of whatever other medication you had) it's 'natural'

Pffft

I would say this sounds like a troll but who would even troll baby forums

• Options
    Well, that is certainly true

but there are many mothers who manage to express their opinions without being offensive

it's just this one lady who is driving me a little crazy
    premium wrote: »
    Heh

Pffft

I would say this sounds like a troll but who would even troll baby forums
    Well, her photos are certainly real

and she's not really trollish, and she does offer sympathy and congratulations to other people in a very nice manner, it's just that she also can't seem to stop posting threads like 'I got my body back!' or 'who else has a baby who is sleeping through the night?' which rather stand out against all the others

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Piotyr wrote: »
    Start now! It's amazing what babies and small children pick up from just your normal activities, when you think they're not even paying attention.

Too right! My daughter's still not really speaking much, but she sure as heck understands 99% of what we say, even when I expect it to be too complex for her to grasp.
    I mean, complex math is probably not something they'll be doing soon, but it can't hurt to try. :)

In my linguistics class in college we talked a fair bit about language acquisition. One of the things I remember is that you don't really need "baby talk" your kids - it's far easier to learn a language as a child than as an adult, and talking to them normally will allow them to be proficient even faster.

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Sounds like a woman who thinks there should be some sort of award for having a natural childbirth, and by God she's going to tell the world until she earns it.

Some might call her an attention...seeker.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    That's an excellent point about speaking to your baby normally. I never even gave it a thought, because even though I do say silly things, I don't descent into murblegurble noises. Talk to them intelligently, I like that!

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

well first you have to play Mozart all the time to get her brain ready

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    My friend had a story about one of the other sets of parents at daycare. There baby was perfect, slept soundly, never fussed, fed well; they always offered completely useless advice to struggling parents along the lines of 'it's not that difficult, you just have to keep at it and it'll happen eventually'. Basically, they were lucky, and they thought it was down to their own excellent parenting skills and they were insufferable at understanding why other parents might not have as easy a child as they did. So naturally, everyone tolerated them with much eye-rolling.

This lasted until they had their second. Who was stroppy, threw tantrums, cried non-stop through the night. And it was then they realised how it was nothing to do with their parenting when all their "tips" were offered back to them while providing no relief. They eventually ended up basically apologising to everyone because they had no concept of how each child is individual even from the earliest of ages. Everyone had their satisfactory laugh, and they were much more tolerable and welcome after that.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    My mother has a similar story, Fishman! I was an awful baby, but a very good toddler, as was her next child. She always said that if she'd stopped at two, she'd have had no idea what other parents were on about when complaining about their children.

Then came my sister, tantrum queen and master escape artist, and then my other brother, who was needy and never satisfied, and then the twins... and yeah, she went through a lot of eye opening!

• Options
    Haha the things I say when I'm talking to my daughter...
    She didn't want to brush her teeth tonight so I sat her down and looked her in the eyes and said/sang 'Do you want the gingivitis? No! We don't want the gingivitis!'
    And then I went downstairs and all of my in laws were over and they all looked up at me and said 'we don't want the gingivitis!'

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Today I have been singing to my boy

"YOU DON'T MAKE FRIENDS WITH SALAD, YOU DON'T MAKE FRIENDS WITH SALAD"

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So, its official, we have a c section scheduled for monday. At noon. Apparently my wife got gestational diabetes at the end and his little belly is about two weeks bigger than his head. I've had nightmares for months that he was going to break his shoulder on the way out. Self fulfilling prophecy I guess.

Now we are just excited. My work threw me a surprise shower and we got 200 in giftcards, which we weren't expecting. The house is clean, bags are packed just going to relax this weekend...

He's 9#14oz

belligerent on
  • Options
    MateyMatey see, look how sad i am now give me your wallet.Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    Today I have been singing to my boy

"YOU DON'T MAKE FRIENDS WITH SALAD, YOU DON'T MAKE FRIENDS WITH SALAD"

now i know what i've been doing wrong my whole life

• Options
    edited April 2012
    @belligerent yay for having a date! So exciting! Hope everything goes smoothly for you. :)

Janson on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    My wife had a dream last night that I wandered in and casually mentioned that I had felt the baby move and she got all upset that I felt it before she felt it and how it wasn't fair because she was the one who had been sick and I was just so blasé about the whole thing like it was no big deal.

Forrtunately she woke up and realised it was just a dream, which is good, because that's probably exactly how I'd treat that incident if it were at all plausible.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    "Huh, baby moved. I don't see what's so special."

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Ledneh wrote: »
    It may be because I'm male, but I'll probably never understand why method of birth is even a thing

Shouldn't it just be, like, do whatever's best for kid and mom?
    No, you see, the method of birth that you ended up using is the superior one and anyone else who used anything different has doomed their child for ever.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    "Huh, baby moved. I don't see what's so special."

I move all the time! Where is my medal

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    I mean, I do have an enormous amount of respect for a woman who goes through a difficult labour with no pain meds.

Some women, though, have genuinely easier labours. And then some have pretty much everything possible go wrong.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Janson, stop doing it wrong, judge them more.

Blake T on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Ugh my coworker at my night job is sick

Really hope that I don't catch whatever he has

I'm gonna sleep in the other bedroom tonight to be sure

Don't want to get little Anya sick after all!

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Finally got the kind of new nephew photo I was waiting for!

charlieboynephw.jpg

I was talking to my older brother earlier tonight and he said of his son, "The new rock star in the family." Which has me wondering how much rock music education he's going to get from all of us. Because that's kind of our thing, my brothers and I.

• Options
    Aw, he's cute!

I just gave Anya a bath, oh god she screamed blue murder the entire time and I felt so horrible. Of course as soon as I get her dry and clothed I hear lovely liquidy poops.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Aw, he's cute!

I just gave Anya a bath, oh god she screamed blue murder the entire time and I felt so horrible. Of course as soon as I get her dry and clothed I hear lovely liquidy poops.

He is cute - looks long!

That's OK, it's to be expected as your body gets back to normal... :P

Are you using the tub or sink? Our girl doesn't mind the bath itself, but the second she's out of the water, it's all screams.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Long baby is long.

• Options
    I'm using the sink; her umbilical cord has not yet fallen off, so it's sponge baths only. I've only been doing them every other day.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    We went out for breakfast today with @DE?AD and his girlfriend!

I made sure Anya was changed and fed, and I took along the carrier. She remained strapped to my chest and fast asleep throughout the entire meal! :)

Janson on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm using the sink; her umbilical cord has not yet fallen off, so it's sponge baths only. I've only been doing them every other day.

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that fun already. It came off when I was alone with her, was a little freaked out. "Oh god, what did I do - a piece of her fell off!" It was fine, just had a tiny bit that hadn't scabbed over so cleaned with some alcohol.

Good you're taking her out already! Should help her get used to it.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Indeed! And it's good for my sanity, too. Our apartment's not that big!

Plus while she's in the carrier she's too close to me for strangers to get near her, so there's no real need to worry about germs.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    My wife is walking around with Jillian. I'm at my computer. She walks near me and I lean over to give our girl a kiss on the cheek. Jillian must have thought "pointy!" and latches onto my nose.

I don't think I've laughed harder in the past week.

• Options
    tastypastrytastypastry Can somebody please remove these cutleries from my knees?Registered User regular
    Janson, good for you! We live in an apartment as well and I have always tried to get out every day, at least for a walk or something. It really does make a world of difference.

Syphre, that is adorable. Consider writing it down in the baby book!

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    T minus 15 hours. List almost done.

Starting to get nervous.

This discussion has been closed.