As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] Thread 3 - Rise of the Classy Crabs

• LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Poor games like Warlock. Ordinarily they'd have a chance for me to buy them right now, but deep in my heart I know that the Steam Sale comes ever closer.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Man, so I want to try out Cry of Fear which is a HL1 (yes, one) mod. I found my Half-Life GotY edition CD but despite it seeming to be in good condition I can't get it to install.. nor can I find anything like a CD Key anywhere. (I don't even recall if it had one?). This blows.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    [Warlock: Master of the Arcane is] pretty similar to civ 5.

Hex-based, lots of terrain types, some neutral units roaming around.

Biggest thing coming from Civ V is that you can build units and structures simultaneously. Apparently, each structure takes up one population, and I didn't see much to indicate when a city would grow; other than a pie-counter on the city bar. Structures are built on the hex grid itself, not inside the city. There aren't any worker units, that I saw. The tech tree is a magic tree, and reminds me of Alpha Centauri, in that you can't see what you're researching, or how it relates to anything further down the tree - this may be a demo thing.

Magic can be invoked at any time, provided you have the mana for it. I summoned some imps which were pretty handy. Mana is generated like gold, and keeping summoned units alive costs upkeep. Living units cost food; I don't know if my imps ate food or not.

The AI declared war on me immediately, accepted my plea bargain of 100 gold, and then declared war on the next turn.
    In a two-monitor setup, the mouse isn't properly bound to the window, so I couldn't scroll to the right.

I'm not exactly blown away, but it's ok.

Tamin on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Arg, I finally have a couple games in CS:GO where I'm doing great and suddenly the game is inflicted with tons of connection drops.

Also, they're planning on adding a mode where you can choose your weapons for the final game, right? Being forced to use a magnum is not my idea of a reward.

• CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    Darlan wrote: »
    Arg, I finally have a couple games in CS:GO where I'm doing great and suddenly the game is inflicted with tons of connection drops.

Also, they're planning on adding a mode where you can choose your weapons for the final game, right? Being forced to use a magnum is not my idea of a reward.

The gun game is only for demolition arsenal mode and arms race. Load up classic competitive for the old style CS.

• VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Analogue: A Hate Story is a visual novel. If you don't know what that means, you can play Digital: A Love Story for free and find out.

I don't recommend paying money for your first one, because a lot of gamers are put off by the reading-to-interaction ratio. Find out if you're okay with it first.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Thanks at @CheeseCakeRecipe for providing me not only with a code for HL, but one that's apparently including all the games I had (the 'Platinum Pack'). I'm especially grateful because I've heard that the original CDs never included serial numbers. D:

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Toy Soldiers is up!

System requirements aren't displaying correctly at the moment, plus it says it only has single player. I believe it had a vs mode in the XBLA version, so maybe that information isn't updated properly yet.

Also, it's possible it uses Games for Windows Live.

edit: ok, it definitely uses GFWL.

SteevL on
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Oh, hey. Toy Soldiers made it to Steam. It's a real time third person strategy thingy where you get to control WWII figurines.

I hope they'll bring the sequel over, too. You get to uses an action figure sized Rambo knockoff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlyYEnE40cQ

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    [Warlock: Master of the Arcane is] pretty similar to civ 5.

Hex-based, lots of terrain types, some neutral units roaming around.

Biggest thing coming from Civ V is that you can build units and structures simultaneously. Apparently, each structure takes up one population, and I didn't see much to indicate when a city would grow; other than a pie-counter on the city bar. Structures are built on the hex grid itself, not inside the city. There aren't any worker units, that I saw. The tech tree is a magic tree, and reminds me of Alpha Centauri, in that you can't see what you're researching, or how it relates to anything further down the tree - this may be a demo thing.

Magic can be invoked at any time, provided you have the mana for it. I summoned some imps which were pretty handy. Mana is generated like gold, and keeping summoned units alive costs upkeep. Living units cost food; I don't know if my imps ate food or not.

The AI declared war on me immediately, accepted my plea bargain of 100 gold, and then declared war on the next turn.
    In a two-monitor setup, the mouse isn't properly bound to the window, so I couldn't scroll to the right.

I'm not exactly blown away, but it's ok.

For whatever reason, this is the first MoM-alike that has clicked with me. I quite liked the demo, and I think I'll be buying the full game. It's only $20 to boot!

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Vegan wrote: »
    Analogue: A Hate Story is a visual novel. If you don't know what that means, you can play Digital: A Love Story for free and find out.

I don't recommend paying money for your first one, because a lot of gamers are put off by the reading-to-interaction ratio. Find out if you're okay with it first.

The more I learn about this game, the more I wonder if it even belongs on steam. Not offend anyone who enjoys it, but is it really even a game?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    The more I learn about this game, the more I wonder if it even belongs on steam. Not offend anyone who enjoys it, but is it really even a game?
    Yes. It is. A visual novel isn't just a book that you can read on the computer with pretty pictures. There are choices you can make. Ways you can fuck up. Multiple paths.

M A G I K A Z A M
    edited April 2012
    Heh. "Are visual novels even games?"

You might not even know it, but that's pretty much a cliche question by now.

I mean, 999 got the same criticism, and that was pretty damn interactive for a visual novel.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Huh, did not expect to see Analogue on Steam. Previously worked with the artist for it on another project.

• BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    I finally got in the CS:GO beta. It just doesn't feel "right". I feel like I'm playing some weird CoD mod more than CS.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Blendtec wrote: »
    I finally got in the CS:GO beta. It just doesn't feel "right". I feel like I'm playing some weird CoD mod more than CS.

Honestly, this may be for the best.

I mean to begin with, CS:GO seems like it is a game aimed at an audience that does not even exist. (people who enjoy CS who want a new CS)

So rather than try to appeal to players who don't want a new game in the first place, it may be in their best interest to try and mix it up a bit.

Because no matter what they did, the people who were content to play CS and CS:S will by and large continue to play those games.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    heenato wrote: »
    Yes. It is. A visual novel isn't just a book that you can read on the computer with pretty pictures. There are choices you can make. Ways you can fuck up. Multiple paths.

Well how's that different than those choose your own adventure books, you know? Those aren't games, but they have choices and multiple paths. I mean is that what makes it a game? I guess I'm playing devil's advocate here. Can you lose? Is there a score? What's the goal?

This is a whole new genre to me, so I'm just trying to understand it.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Toy Soldiers is up!

System requirements aren't displaying correctly at the moment, plus it says it only has single player. I believe it had a vs mode in the XBLA version, so maybe that information isn't updated properly yet.

The GFWL thing makes me sad. Not because I have any inherent problem with GFWL; but I'm gonna have to look at the achievement list for the game and see if any feel unreasonable before I have it tied to my Live account. It's a personal problem, sure, but I hate having games on my played list that I can't/won't 100%. So far the only game that I know I can't get all of the achievements is Battlefield Bad Company (the first) because some medals that you need for the achievements are bugged. I will outright avoid a game entirely for the 360 if it has unreasonable multiplayer achievements. Thus I've never played the Gears of War games even though they appeal to me somewhat.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular

Well how's that different than those choose your own adventure books, you know? Those aren't games, but they have choices and multiple paths. I mean is that what makes it a game? I guess I'm playing devil's advocate here. Can you lose? Is there a score? What's the goal?

That's somewhat the idea behind visual novels, to be more active Choose Your Own Adventure Books. Sometimes they're puzzle oriented with point and click puzzles, othertimes it is more about character interaction and dialog. It allows for a more personal experience because of the sheer number of dialog decisions or paths. And in many ways, they can match CYOA books in endings and branched paths. There's not a score so much as there is just another way to interact with a world. You can lose, by making bad decisions that lead to less than desirable results that may cut the story off early.

For another example, the goosebumps CYOA book "Return to Terror Tower" features an overworld map, time and an inventory system. It's very close to an RPG except it is in a book form.

I'm pretty interested in Analog, it looks like it has some potential to be a good story from what the demo gave me, but I can see how someone might not really understand why it is being presented in a game format.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Toy Soldiers is up!

The GFWL thing makes me sad. Not because I have any inherent problem with GFWL; but I'm gonna have to look at the achievement list for the game and see if any feel unreasonable before I have it tied to my Live account. It's a personal problem, sure, but I hate having games on my played list that I can't/won't 100%. So far the only game that I know I can't get all of the achievements is Battlefield Bad Company (the first) because some medals that you need for the achievements are bugged. I will outright avoid a game entirely for the 360 if it has unreasonable multiplayer achievements. Thus I've never played the Gears of War games even though they appeal to me somewhat.

Heh, I get obsessive with achievements sometimes, but I just can't go that far! I'll admit to not playing my Wii games as much as I could because I know I don't get any achievements, though. And I fully recognize this as being a weird thing.

Do you feel the same about Steam achievements, or is it the whole gamerscore thing in particular that gets you?

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Toy Soldiers is up!

Heh, I get obsessive with achievements sometimes, but I just can't go that far! I'll admit to not playing my Wii games as much as I could because I know I don't get any achievements, though. And I fully recognize this as being a weird thing.

Do you feel the same about Steam achievements, or is it the whole gamerscore thing in particular that gets you?

Nope, it's purely Live. On Steam I'll get achievements if I'm bored, if doing so is something neat, new or secret; or if a game gives you something for it (like Dungeon Defenders); but otherwise, unless I really like a game (100%'d Orcs Must Die on Steam, my only 100% I think), I don't even notice them.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    thanks to Dr. Mark Sloan for the gift on steam!

steam_sig.png
  • JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    Wow, this is unexpected. Analogue: A Hate Story is now on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/209370/

I appreciate all forms of games, but this just doesn't look like enough game for my taste. You just talk to people?

Nah, you don't talk to people at all. Just an AI. Everyone on the ship is dead.
    Saw a good write up of it at RPS

Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    SOMEBODY DO THE SERIOUS SAM 3 4-PACK DEAL WITH ME

HOW MUCH BE IT

TEN UNITED STATES DOLLARS PER PERSON

YES I WANT THAT I WILL GIVE YOU MONEY

OKAY WE NEED TWO MORE PEOPLE

DEAR FRIENDS,

I AM A NIGERIAN PRINCE, DISPLACED FROM MY HOMELAND BY UNFORTUNATE CIRCUMSTANCES WHICH WILL NOW I REVEAL. HIGH RANKING VALVE EMPLOYEES PLOT TO INCREASE MY BACKLOG AND, ULTIMATELY, MY DEMISE. LIKE THE PASSING OF THE DAILY DEAL, SO TOO, MY DEMISE. I TRAVEL WITH BUT THE SKIN ON MY BACK AND TWELVE MILLION DOLLAR USD. I AM PREPARED TO TRANSFER THIS MONEY INTO AN OFFSHORE STEAM ACCOUNT IN EXCHANGE FOR MERELY YOUR HUMBLE FRIENDSHIP ON STEAM COMMUNITY AND ALSO YOUR EMAIL PASSWORD.

PLEASE NOTE THAT, I AM NOT ACTUALLY INTERESTED IN SERIOUS SAM 3, BUT THAT MANY CAPITAL LETTERS WERE TOO GOOD TO WASTE. BUMP?

SINCERESTLY,
    FREM. ROVING ROYALTY, ESQ.

• KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Oh man I beat Sword and Sworcery a couple of days ago, that game is all kinds of good.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

The easiest way to sort this out is just to play the free first game in the series, Digital: A Love Story and then let us know whether you still think the sequel belongs on Steam or not. Warning: this game makes lots of people tear up, so if you hate crying, BEWARE.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Jobastion wrote: »
    Wow, this is unexpected. Analogue: A Hate Story is now on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/209370/

I appreciate all forms of games, but this just doesn't look like enough game for my taste. You just talk to people?

Nah, you don't talk to people at all. Just an AI. Everyone on the ship is dead.
    Saw a good write up of it at RPS

This sounds amazing. If it can evoke that kind of emotion then I'm interested.

If you want to know what the deal is with visual novels, Wikipedia's not a bad place to start. It has a pretty extensive article.

steam_sig.png
  • BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Blendtec wrote: »

Honestly, this may be for the best.

I mean to begin with, CS:GO seems like it is a game aimed at an audience that does not even exist. (people who enjoy CS who want a new CS)

So rather than try to appeal to players who don't want a new game in the first place, it may be in their best interest to try and mix it up a bit.

Because no matter what they did, the people who were content to play CS and CS:S will by and large continue to play those games.

I suppose, but at the same time I don't think they can draw in that precious CoD audience. The buy menu, lack of unlocks/killstreaks/iron sights is going to turn those people off immediately. As someone mentioned on the Steam forums, what they should've done is just what they did with DotA 2. New graphics engine, but copy all the gameplay, bugs and everything else directly from WC3. Draws in the players who want shiny new things all the while keeping the old core group. As it stands now CS:GO is trying and failing to be 2 different things, and I'm a little skeptical they'll be doing a complete gameplay mulligan before launch.

• EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Just bought Toy Soldiers, couldn't resist the graphics. Ran it up for the first time, sweet Jesus! GFWL, nooo.

• IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    @Vegan

Thanks brah.

<3

• KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    @Vegan gave me Ben There, Dan That and Time Gentlemen, Please! Looking forward to it!

Thanks, Classy man!

Enjoy it! Make sure you click on everything with everything. There's a lot of content in there.

steam_sig.png
  • SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Hey errybody! Someone reminded me it's my birthday in a couple of days so I decided to be a little generous and have a few gifts for you instead.

First up, forgive me but it's a non-Steam game, Minecraft. I've been neglecting my "crib" and fellow crafters on the @HallowedFaith's Crafty Crab server lately so I decided to give away an extra gift code I bought ages ago. All I ask of the winner is that you pay us a visit on the server to say hello and maybe craft yourself some gear and go creeper hunting with us. :D
    signature.png

Next is Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery. This game looks like a lot of fun and I was actually going to get this for myself but my backlog yelled at me... and then the Newell yelled at me too. So I figured this was the best way to keep them both happy.
    signature.png

And a couple of extra keys I had around. I know most people already own these because of all the recent giveaways but I hope someone out there still has a home for these two. Both are open to the general PA Steam group.
    signature.png
    signature.png

All the giveaways are open for a couple of days so they should end by the time I return from the weekend. I should be able to get the loot to the winners before Sunday ends.

camo_sig2.png
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

The easiest way to sort this out is just to play the free first game in the series, Digital: A Love Story and then let us know whether you still think the sequel belongs on Steam or not. Warning: this game makes lots of people tear up, so if you hate crying, BEWARE.

Tried Analog's demo. At first it didn't click with me at all (skimmed the first few mails... Korean names don't really help with that.) Until I finally got a couple of interesting ones, which led me to read all of said person's mails, and so on...

I'm kinda hooked now, but I guess I'll wait for a small discount, just to be sure.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Both of Christine Love's prior VNs are available for free. I think this is her first commercial one. So anyone can just give those a whirl first.

There's also Katawa Shoujo, which comes highly recommended... If you can keep an open mind after reading the premise.

steam_sig.png
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Man, I would pay all the monies for an obsidian game that was basically just a VN. Conversations battles all the way down

steam_sig.png
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    Just finished the first episode of the Walking Dead game, it was surprisingly good.
    Can't wait to see how my choices/actions pan out in the later games.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Both of Christine Love's prior VNs are available for free. I think this is her first commercial one. So anyone can just give those a whirl first.

There's also Katawa Shoujo, which comes highly recommended... If you can keep an open mind after reading the premise.

I also highly recommend Katawa Shoujo.
    This has absolutely nothing to do with working on it.

Grimlock is pretty fun. I didn't expect a game of this genre to have such good production values.

Suriko on
    Suriko wrote: »

I also highly recommend Katawa Shoujo.
    This has absolutely nothing to do with working on it.
    I've only played Lilly's path so far. I got the bad ending first. YOU BROKE MY HEART SURIKO

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.