As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Computer Build Thread] - Did you remember to plug in the CPU power cable?

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    So I have received delivery of way too many dollars worth of computer hardware. Now to show up at Microcenter on Sunday morning and snag me an i5.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    So I have received delivery of way too many dollars worth of computer hardware. Now to show up at Microcenter on Sunday morning and snag me an i5.

Pics or it didn't happen.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    This is a good lesson in "Do a power on test BEFORE you have a bunch of stuff built," so the Moment of Truth is as soon as possible. And if the board doesn't power, you don't have a million things to take off and then trouble shoot.

steam_sig.png
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    Foomy wrote: »
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    Yeah, fuckity fucking fuck fuck.

I pulled everything except the RAM, the processor, and the power switch wire. Still doing it. Tried pulling the power switch off, and shorting that connection instead. Still doing it.

Also, I tried starting it with the RAM in different slots, and with only one stick of RAM (trying each one once). I think this mobo is fucked.

Common "holy shit, how could I have forgotten that" mistake is not plugging in the 4/8 pin power connection for the CPU and only plugging in one power line for a GPU that needs two.
    4-pin power connection for the CPU fan is in. The fans even spin up; they just die after less than a second. I plugged in both power lines for the GPU, back when it was in there (I pulled it to see if it was the problem).

Double-checked the CPU, it's seated fine. Tried clearing CMOS; still not working.

he's not talking about the fan for your cpu, there is a 4 or 8 pin power connector near your cpu on the motherboard, looks sorta like the ones on graphics cards. you need to plug the power lead from the psu into that or the cpu wont get any power.

I read Than's response but totally glanced over the "fan" part. I'm glad a couple of you caught that for me.

@Thanatos Did you see this response?

I have no idea what motherboard you have, but there should be something like this (this one is an 8-pin, they can also be 4-pin):
    mFMQa.png
    I got it working, now. And this totally wasn't the reason. The real reason is just way too complicated, and I don't think you guys would understand it.
    Thanks, guys! You're the best!

In my defense, the instruction booklet Biostar sent with this thing was clearly translated by Google, so it did seem like that was just for a beefier fan.

One of the several reasons I dont care for Biostar. Good luck fucking around in the BIOS if you ever have to....

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    I got it working, now. And this totally wasn't the reason. The real reason is just way too complicated, and I don't think you guys would understand it.
    Thanks, guys! You're the best!

In my defense, the instruction booklet Biostar sent with this thing was clearly translated by Google, so it did seem like that was just for a beefier fan.
    One of the several reasons I dont care for Biostar. Good luck fucking around in the BIOS if you ever have to....
    Yeah, don't think I'll ever get one of these for me.

Should work fine for my parents, though.

• minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    So I was playing World of Tanks just now and this happened:

img2012042700042.jpg

I could still move the mouse (you can see the cursor still exists, but in the loading state), but response was super slow. There was no response to keyboard shortcuts of any kind.
    Restarting it solved the issue.

What the hell, guys D:

• AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    minirhyder wrote: »
    So I was playing World of Tanks just now and this happened:
    img2012042700042.jpg

I could still move the mouse (you can see the cursor still exists, but in the loading state), but response was super slow. There was no response to keyboard shortcuts of any kind.
    Restarting it solved the issue.

What the hell, guys D:

Update video card drivers would be my first step.

Alecthar on
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    So my part time job didn't tell me I had vacation days I had to use up by May and instead paid me for them. So I turned vacation days into a Samsung 830 128gb ssd and a Corsair Carbide 500r Case! I'm about to power down to transfer my system into it's new home now. Hopefully all goes smoothly. I'll post results soon.

steam_sig.png
    Now you're playing with POWER

steam_sig.png
  • AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    so...just set up my dell U3011, holy eff this guy is a monster. and default brightness setting at 50 is bright as shit, must be some option on somewhere making it seem higher.

• AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    Aretè wrote: »
    so...just set up my dell U3011, holy eff this guy is a monster. and default brightness setting at 50 is bright as shit, must be some option on somewhere making it seem higher.

I'm not sure there is. Mine seemed super bright too, but partly because it's just so big. It's like sitting in front of a small television.

Ok so this case is awesome and ssd is super noticable. I don't know if my friends just don't care about load times or are indifferent to them or what but wow. Just wow.

steam_sig.png
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    Ok so this case is awesome and ssd is super noticable. I don't know if my friends just don't care about load times or are indifferent to them or what but wow. Just wow.

Yeah. It's really startling. I remember being very certain I was fine with my HDD, and at this point I just couldn't go back.

It really is more than just load times of games. EVERYTHING is snappier. Installing things, opening a browser...

Today I set up my old computer to give to a friend. Even with a fresh install of XP, it's slow as shit to me now. I swear it takes at least several minutes to reboot.

steam_sig.png
    I fear my work pc will now make me rage even harder.

steam_sig.png
  • AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular

Alecthar wrote: »

I'm not sure there is. Mine seemed super bright too, but partly because it's just so big. It's like sitting in front of a small television.

It really is, and yeah I think you are right, even on the "movie" preset where its a little darker, it is still pretty damn bright.

Yeah. It's really startling. I remember being very certain I was fine with my HDD, and at this point I just couldn't go back.

I'm currently sitting next to a Samsung 830 that I can't use until I get my processor. Why must you taunt me like this!

aeNqQM9.jpg
    edited April 2012

Im inclined to say everyone goes through this, I certainly did and now I'll probably never go back to running my OS off a mechanical.

It really is, and yeah I think you are right, even on the "movie" preset where its a little darker, it is still pretty damn bright.

I know when I first got my HP zr24w it was super bright, so bright I turned the brightness down to 0. Way more visible then. I want to say its a little brighter than my Ultrasharp, but I remember feeling blinded when I turned the Ultrasharp on after I had gotten used to the HP.

emp123 on
  • minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular

Welcome to the world of SSD snobbery ;)

It's hardly snobbery when they're actually really affordable now! There's a ton of deals on Crucial M4 right now for just over a hundred dollars.

steam_sig.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I must be really old, because I can remember when a 30 inch television was considered fucking huge...

• CormacCormac Registered User regular

If it makes you feel any better, my work PC is an ancient AMD socket A with 1gb of ram and a 5400rpm drive. Calling it slow would be an understatement and it's slow enough to actually prevent me from doing my job as well as I could. One of the small joys of working for a very small business where the owner wont buy anything "new" (other than our printers and scanners) that isn't used, refurbished, or on sale.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    So I just got my z77 board in. Probably gonna play around with it some this weekend. I have a 2500k and a couple sticks of samsung 28nm ram to dick around with in it. Anyone want any specific comparisons between this and a z68?

m6eoUgQ.jpg

I must be really old, because I can remember when a 30 inch television was considered fucking huge...

I choose to believe Im still relatively young and I remember getting a 30inch widescreen tv (maybe its 32? Its actually right in front of me and it is big even if my monitor is only slightly smaller) and thinking it was huge, so you cant be that old.

Or we're both old.

:(

• ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    Ok, so, I have about 800 bucks to build a new system. I've got 4GB of ram, a case including dvd drive, a GTS 450, and an old hard drive (though it's only 100gigs and pretty much full.) Can anyone recommend me what to buy to flesh out the rest?

Cormac wrote: »

If it makes you feel any better, my work PC is an ancient AMD socket A with 1gb of ram and a 5400rpm drive. Calling it slow would be an understatement and it's slow enough to actually prevent me from doing my job as well as I could. One of the small joys of working for a very small business where the owner wont buy anything "new" (other than our printers and scanners) that isn't used, refurbished, or on sale.
    I can't recall what the hardware is on my work pcs but they are running ie 7 and office 2003. My pc in particular often stop lags for 40+ seconds doing some of my every day tasks. If I'm really lucky that happens in a string as I open something from the fax server then the attachments for those documents.

steam_sig.png
    I'm giving my 4-year-old PC to a friend who's rocking a TWELVE YEAR OLD computer. Until I learned what specs he's been using (or not using; now I know why he's never on it), I actually kind of felt like I might be saddling him with this.

He's been running a Pentium 4 1.7Ghz with 768MB of single data rate RAM (how he managed that number, I have no idea), a SIXTY GIGABYTE IDE DRIVE, and an AGP GeForce FX card.

I couldn't resist making a joke that my SSD is bigger than his entire hard drive. Yeah, I felt almost guilty about giving him this, but now not so much. At least he can actually upgrade the video card, which is more than you could say for that AGP slot.

steam_sig.png
  • kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Anyone have a wireless keyboard that they love. I'm using some plain-Jane Dell and it is boring, but effective. It's fine, I suppose. Wireless is not a must-have, but for some reason I have it in my head that I would like my peripherals to be wireless, but I gave up on the mouse since I'm really liking this G400 I picked up because I thought I gave away my goofy Microsoft Habu (and just found it in my closet). Dear Logitech: please make a wireless G400 and I will buy it. Doesn't that sound like a good deal?

Also, I'm not delving into the wack world of gaming mousepads -- thinking that I would start by trying a cloth pad, I bought the Steelseries GCK off the internets and it showed up yesterday. It is roughly the size of a bathtowel.
    I like the surface, but JESUS. If I get cold I can just drape it around my shoulders. And the GCK PLUS is supposed to be bigger.

What do you all use as a surface?

Finally -- if anyone out there finds themselves in the position where they would like to buy a 'gaming mouse' but don't really know what they like, or don't really want to get sucked into a whole bizarre world where one must decide how many weights to put in their mouse, how to map 30 buttons or how far to extend the pinky wrest I cannot reccommend the Logitech G400 more. It is a wonderful mouse, has adjustable sensitivity (and a nice 'default' button to bring things back to a sane level) and is a great starting point.

kingmetal on
    kingmetal wrote: »
    Anyone have a wireless keyboard that they love. I'm using some plain-Jane Dell and it is boring, but effective. It's fine, I suppose. Wireless is not a must-have, but for some reason I have it in my head that I would like my peripherals to be wireless, but I gave up on the mouse since I'm really liking this G400 I picked up because I thought I gave away my goofy Microsoft Habu (and just found it in my closet). Dear Logitech: please make a wireless G400 and I will buy it. Doesn't that sound like a good deal?

Also, I'm not delving into the wack world of gaming mousepads -- thinking that I would start by trying a cloth pad, I bought the Steelseries GCK off the internets and it showed up yesterday. It is roughly the size of a bathtowel.
    I like the surface, but JESUS. If I get cold I can just drape it around my shoulders. And the GCK PLUS is supposed to be bigger.

Finally -- if anyone out there finds themselves in the position where they would like to buy a 'gaming mouse' but don't really know what they like, or don't really want to get sucked into a whole bizarre world where one must decide how many weights to put in their mouse, how to map 30 buttons or how far to extend the pinky wrest I cannot reccommend the Logitech G400 more. It is a wonderful mouse, has adjustable sensitivity (and a nice 'default' button to bring things back to a sane level) and is a great starting point.

Personally, I'm addicted to mechanical keyboards. Any time I have to type on anything but Cherry MX Blues is a sad day. Currently using a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate because I got it on the cheap. IMO, once you go to a mechanical keyboard, it's hard to go back to squishy membrane keys.

Also my mousepad is a 5 dollar blue affair I picked up at Staples. It works great, and has done so for... like 4 years now? Good investment I suppose :p

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Toothy wrote: »
    Ok, so, I have about 800 bucks to build a new system. I've got 4GB of ram, a case including dvd drive, a GTS 450, and an old hard drive (though it's only 100gigs and pretty much full.) Can anyone recommend me what to buy to flesh out the rest?

What kind of RAM and IDE or SATA drives? If they're too old can't reuse them in newer stuff/need adapters.

• UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    So I've finally gotten the money to replace my 7 yr old PC and I need some help. I'm hoping to build something that can possibly last as long as my current desktop so I'm looking to splurge a little. Here's what I've got in mind:

-Some Z77 mb / Ivybridge bundle (Apr 29 release?)
    -GeForce 680/690 equivalent (Apr 29 release?)
    -Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) or something similar
    -G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) or the generic version
    -Some casing/power supply

Lastly, maybe even a LCD monitor (currently using Neovo F-419) but I'd rather not spend a lot more than $1200 at one go.

Am I missing anything? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking of taking advantage of the rebates for the SSD and/or casing since they end soon, then making a separate order for the cpu/mb/gpu when they appear. Its about time I start playing Skyrim with more than 1GB of ram...

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    kingmetal wrote: »

Personally, I'm addicted to mechanical keyboards. Any time I have to type on anything but Cherry MX Blues is a sad day. Currently using a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate because I got it on the cheap. IMO, once you go to a mechanical keyboard, it's hard to go back to squishy membrane keys.

Also my mousepad is a 5 dollar blue affair I picked up at Staples. It works great, and has done so for... like 4 years now? Good investment I suppose :p

Yeah I was eyeing the Razer Blackwidow -- it's a bit pricey, but I know that mechanical keys would spoil me.

I was rocking a free mousepad before this one -- ironically the main reason I switched to the GCK is because I just wanted a black mousepad (asthetics, again). I can't decide what's worse: the free HP mousepad with the goofy designs on my desk or the giant beachtowel that's there now. It's a very nice surface though...

edited April 2012
    Xeddicus wrote: »

What kind of RAM and IDE or SATA drives? If they're too old can't reuse them in newer stuff/need adapters.

Agreed. Is this DDR2 RAM running at 800Mhz? An IDE drive that also might die of sheer age soon? These aren't exactly the best starts for a new system.

The only thing I carried over from my old system is the optical drive, which has pretty much been in technological stasis for years. (Some would even argue that it's no longer necessary, but... Video games.)

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I choose to believe Im still relatively young and I remember getting a 30inch widescreen tv (maybe its 32? Its actually right in front of me and it is big even if my monitor is only slightly smaller) and thinking it was huge, so you cant be that old.

Or we're both old.

When I was a kid, our family had a Sharp 19 inch colour television IN A WOODEN CABINET. We got a 22 inch t.v when I was a teenager, and I thought is was AWESOME. It did stereo!!

If all you need is a mobo & cpu, PSU, and an HDD, you can get some pretty great stuff with that budget. I'm going to assume your RAM is DDR3?

CPU & MOBO Combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.875482 $417
    PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088 $140
    HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185 $110
    SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227706 $140/$120 with rebate.

That is a really great basis for a powerful gaming system. Save up for a bit after you put this together and throw 8 gigs of some fast RAM ($50) and a killer video card ($250-$300), and you've got yourself a machine that can play anything, and do it well.

Or we're both old.

When I was a kid, our family had a Sharp 19 inch colour television IN A WOODEN CABINET. We got a 22 inch t.v when I was a teenager, and I thought is was AWESOME. It did stereo!!

Ok you win, my grandmother has a tv in a wooden cabinet, its pretty awesome.

I'm only 29... But my Dad bought in the '70s!

"youngish"?!?

Son, I'll whoop your arse! Just lemme get up outta my lazyboy first... Where's my zimmer frame? And my eyeglasses? And my hearing aid?

Oh okay, youre not that old, still youngish. Almost too old for Vegas though...

Im 25 :(

• TefTef Registered User regular
    Looks like I'm going to go ahead with plans for an htpc once ivy bridge drops, does anyone have some favourites regarding enclosures and tv tuner cards?

I'm also thinking I'm going to go with a 680 if I can manage to sell of these two 6870s I'm currently using too

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
This discussion has been closed.