As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime 2012 BYOC - Group Seating Live!

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I missed the whole reg being on hold thing. Edited the OP.

Hopefully the old vendor can do the BYOC passes too.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Backslash_Backslash_ Registered User new member
    edited April 2012
    Lol, you pretty much answered my question before I could sign in! Was just gunna ask if BYOC will be purchased at the same time once the switch to the old vendor finishes. I guess we'll find out!

Backslash_ on
    I was told that the old one will be able to do it, when the old system is back up.

• MOSFETMOSFET Registered User regular
    Backslash_ wrote: »
    Lol, you pretty much answered my question before I could sign in! Was just gunna ask if BYOC will be purchased at the same time once the switch to the old vendor finishes. I guess we'll find out!

You should be getting a conformation email by next week when registration goes live again verifying your registration was transferred.

I asked earlier about the server configuration because I am not aware of what tournaments are happening (specifically TF2), but it would be nice to have different options besides normal pubs (MGEmod, bball, DM mod, 6v6, etc)

• tylermenezestylermenezes Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Passes += 2! And curse your "small coolers only" rule! Our group was going to bring an RFID-enabled fridge!

Are you going to have a stage this year? Or even just some speakers and a projector on a wall or something? The casts and everything from two years ago were really fun; I missed that last year.

(Aside: if you need help setting up let me know. I'm local to Seattle, anyway, and I'm the guy who brought the box of cat5 and the crimping tool last year ;)

Prime '06-'15
    BYOC '09-'15
  • Chee-Kay EchsChee-Kay Echs Registered User regular
    Hello.

I have a question:

I was able to get my 3-day pass but forgot to check the BYOC option. Will there be a way to get one when registration is back up and running?

Thank you.

Passes += 2! And curse your "small coolers only" rule! Our group was going to bring an RFID-enabled fridge!

Are you going to have a stage this year? Or even just some speakers and a projector on a wall or something? The casts and everything from two years ago were really fun; I missed that last year.

(Aside: if you need help setting up let me know. I'm local to Seattle, anyway, and I'm the guy who brought the box of cat5 and the crimping tool last year ;)

Unlikely to have a stage. We will have speakers and a projector but shoutcasting will not happen.

Setup is limited to enforcers only, thanks anyway :)
    Hello.

I have a question:

I was able to get my 3-day pass but forgot to check the BYOC option. Will there be a way to get one when registration is back up and running?

Thank you.

I am not sure, I will ask and find out.

edited April 2012
    Hello.

I have a question:

Thank you.

Hello.

I do appreciate that. Thank you.

Chee-Kay Echs on
    Hello.

I have a question:

Thank you.

Hello.

I do appreciate that. Thank you.

I was told you *should* be able to.
    We will see when it goes live again, heh.

• Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    How much would you figure it costs to ship a rig + monitor via fed ex or ups? In a perfect world one would just stick it in their second suitcase when flying but probably woldn't work with airport luggage carriers.

This space for rent
  • matguymatguy Registered User regular
    Josh5890 wrote: »
    How much would you figure it costs to ship a rig + monitor via fed ex or ups? In a perfect world one would just stick it in their second suitcase when flying but probably woldn't work with airport luggage carriers.

If you're discounting airline luggage for reasons of handling, shipping isn't much of any better. Pack it well and bring a screwdriver to re-seat things. I've even seen some guides from people with experience telling you what to and not to do, do a quick google search. (Humorously enough, when I googled "traveling with your computer lan party" a PAX wiki was my first hit, although not to helpful for the info you're looking for.) If you are thinking about flying with your rig, most airlines seem to have a 50LBS limit on bags, but check directly if you're thinking of this as an option (I think they just charge you a bit extra if you're over, but I don't think they refuse you at the counter.)

Anyway, there's lots of shipping calculators for the various shippers, and distance matters. Check with them, they'll know. For your monitor, it'll help immensely if you have your original box, as the foam is built for exactly what you want.

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    I do wonder with the new BYOC pass process, if there will be a large number of people who get a BYOC pass not knowing what it is, and reserve a seat they'll never use? It seems like the new process might unintentionally sell out BYOC to non-BYOC folks.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
    I do wonder with the new BYOC pass process, if there will be a large number of people who get a BYOC pass not knowing what it is, and reserve a seat they'll never use? It seems like the new process might unintentionally sell out BYOC to non-BYOC folks.

That was my concern as well, I have already suggested a blurb about BYOC be mentioned in that space (or at the very least a link to this thread) so people don't just blindly purchase it.

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    BigRed wrote: »

That was my concern as well, I have already suggested a blurb about BYOC be mentioned in that space (or at the very least a link to this thread) so people don't just blindly purchase it.

This is actually a good point. My wife almost checked "YES" or what-have-you on the BYOC thing because "we're bringing our netbook right?" I stopped her very quickly. (We are bringing our netbook, because how else will I get the funny pictures off my camera onto facebook!)

Edit: I should clarify I stopped her. However not everyone has a forumite hanging over their shoulder while buying passes.

tsrblke on
  • GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    Can you tell us where BYOC will be this year, Red, or is it a closely guarded secret?

Hello.

If I am able to get a BYOC, I am just gonna bring my li'l MX11.

GeeCee wrote: »
    Can you tell us where BYOC will be this year, Red, or is it a closely guarded secret?

Likely the same place it was last year, but things arent 100% final yet.

• Zoroark173Zoroark173 Registered User regular
    Hello.

Alienware O.O...

Zoroark173 wrote: »
    Hello.

Alienware O.O...

Whats wrong with alienware?

I have 2 of their laptops (m14x 2011, m17x R2), they are nice.

• S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Alienware are nice, some people just dont like how expensive they are compared to similar laptops from Asus or Msi.
    (myself included)

hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Zoroark173Zoroark173 Registered User regular
    Zoroark173 wrote: »
    Hello.

Alienware O.O...

Whats wrong with alienware?

I have 2 of their laptops (m14x 2011, m17x R2), they are nice.

Nothing wrong. I was just oogling at your awesomeness. BTW, can I have your M17x?

• hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular

You could have it so you have to use a special code to buy BYOC passes and have the code be in the FAQ.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular

You could have it so you have to use a special code to buy BYOC passes and have the code be in the FAQ.

That almost seems to complex. It'd be simpler just to have a better description (currently lacking) and a link here.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    S2000Gan wrote: »
    Alienware are nice, some people just dont like how expensive they are compared to similar laptops from Asus or Msi.
    (myself included)

Yarp, with just a little shopping around you can get a more powerful computer for less. It doesn't help that Alienware went from being a garage company to being just another arm of Dell, and fuck Dell.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod

Changes to the actual reg process are unlikely to be able to be implemented this late. They may be able to add some text, but it won't change how you buy a ticket (most likely).

• PatrickKanePatrickKane I'm a doctor Registered User regular
    Would love to do this, but I'm coming with my soon to be wife and another friend so it'd be a waste of money since I probably wouldnt spend much time at my PC

• japerryjaperry Registered User regular
    Last years location was pretty good. I just hope the indy games area stays next door.. so many board games!

7jIDTca.png
    Oh hey... Reg is live again :winky:

• HikinHikin Registered User regular
    If we already paid for tickets on the 25th we're still good right?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Correct. Should've gotten an e-mail saying your registration was transferred to the new, not-shitty system.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • ValanderValander Registered User regular
    Badge and BYOC acquired. Yay.

10 Minutes later, a buddy said he tried to register and BYOC was reporting as sold out. Is this true?!?

D.
  • The_CyberchristThe_Cyberchrist Registered User regular
    Lol is there going to be a waiting list for tickets that become available. I got mine, but a lot of my buddies are a bit slow.

There is no blackness in this world which has not its mirror image in my soul.
    edited May 2012
    Aaaaaaand BYOC is sold out...

In 44 minutes.

(not counting the ones sold in the first ticket launch anyway, heh)

BigRed on
  • ValanderValander Registered User regular

In 44 minutes.

Holy crap. These were non-refundable/non-transferrable, right? So pretty much if the rest of my group missed the very small window, they're not getting in? Is there any hope for the Rock Lobsters? ;_;

D.
  • devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    Valander wrote: »

In 44 minutes.

Holy crap. These were non-refundable/non-transferrable, right? So pretty much if the rest of my group missed the very small window, they're not getting in? Is there any hope for the Rock Lobsters? ;_;

Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same boat, the rest of my group missed byoc so I'm the only one in there now... sadface

• japerryjaperry Registered User regular
    Hrrmm. yah I see the nice part about having BYOC with registration.. but selling out that quick makes me think we'll have lots of no-shows or people who only store their stuff.

Its too bad BYOC couldn't be a coupon code or something that you enter in, instead.

Oh well, too late now!

7jIDTca.png
  • NeoNeo Registered User regular
    Is there an IRC channel specifically for BYOC, or is that conversation just wrapped in with the forum IRC channel?

-- This space for rent --
  • ThranxThranx Registered User regular
    I don't understand how this is possible given the amount of time it took to sell out in past years.... I've got 8 people to buy BYOC tickets for and they're completely gone?!!?

edited May 2012
    Thranx wrote: »
    I don't understand how this is possible given the amount of time it took to sell out in past years.... I've got 8 people to buy BYOC tickets for and they're completely gone?!!?

Yes, they are gone. Prime BYOC has always sold out fast. But the last fastest sellout took about 48h. It sold out faster and faster every year.

BigRed on
  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    Uh wow. For the record I really hope its not handled this way next year for East because ouch.

This discussion has been closed.