As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Airbender] The legend of Korra: I am the solution.

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Neaden wrote: »
    So I'm rewatching some A:tLAB and it is really striking how much the animation has improved between the shows. Not that the original was bad, but Korra is just so good.

Bigger budget = attracting best animation talent in Korea.

Bigger budget is why the movie was so much better than the series.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So I'm rewatching some A:tLAB and it is really striking how much the animation has improved between the shows. Not that the original was bad, but Korra is just so good.

They also have directors and storyboard artists who know how to do action. Like for example, Lauren Montgomery, who directed this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPlSdns_n1E

KingofMadCows on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

Bigger budget is why the movie was so much better than the series.

Live action cost scales perfectly with cel animation, after all.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

They also have directors and storyboard artists who know how to do action. Like for example, Lauren Montgomery, who directed this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPlSdns_n1E
    What show is that from?

steam_sig.png
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    It's A DTv. Superman /Batman Apocalypse iirc.

It's an adapation of how the (previously) latest super girl came to earth.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Probably more to do with having fewer episodes.

I believe the season caps out at 14, or 13.

That means they could afford to pour about 50% more money into each episode, compared to the 20 episodes per each season Last Airbender.

FLCL had an entire show's budget condensed into 6 episodes, and the resulting animation was kind of impossible to beat for its time.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

Probably more to do with having fewer episodes.

I believe the season caps out at 14, or 13.

That means they could afford to pour about 50% more money into each episode, compared to the 20 episodes per each season Last Airbender.

FLCL had an entire show's budget condensed into 6 episodes, and the resulting animation was kind of impossible to beat for its time.

I would assume the amount of episodes are considered when a budget is decided.

I mean I'd expect all other things being equal a show with 20 episodes ordered and a show with 10 episodes ordered would receive a different budget.

Quire.jpg
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Ironic that's bought up in a thread with a female protagonist from an animated series. They changed the title from Supergirl to Apocalyse, will no longer do female solo projects and made Supergirl's picture on the cover less obvious specifically because the Wonder Woman animated film "failed" (despite outselling the recent Green Lantern animated film). WB could take a lesson from Nick on female lead projects.

Ironic that's bought up in a thread with a female protagonist from an animated series. They changed the title from Supergirl to Apocalyse, will no longer do female solo projects and made Supergirl's picture on the cover less obvious specifically because the Wonder Woman animated film "failed" (despite outselling the recent Green Lantern animated film). WB could take a lesson from Nick on female lead projects.

TO be fair to WB the rule is now that nobody other then Batman and Superman get movies.

Green Lantern isn't being treated better then WW.

Quire.jpg

TO be fair to WB the rule is now that nobody other then Batman and Superman get movies.

True, but women were singled out first IIRC. And before that they were sidelined from live action films, as well.

Green Lantern got an animated series despite having a shitty, unsuccessful live action film. WW's lucky she got a solo animated film at all, never mind a more successful financial and critical one. Were Avatar: TLA a WB property I doubt LOK would have been greenlit.

True, but women were singled out first IIRC. And before that they were sidelined from live action films, as well.

Green Lantern got an animated series despite having a shitty, unsuccessful live action film. WW's lucky she got a solo animated film at all, never mind a more successful financial and critical one. Were Avatar: TLA a WB property I doubt LOK would have been greenlit.

True. Although I gotta tell you until the new 52 Wonder Woman arc I wouldn't be pushing for an animated series anyway.

She has a complex and somewhat mismatched backstory.

Sucks that I can't think of another DC Heroine that could possibly get a show.

You are wrong about the Green Lantern thing though I think. DC was expecting GL's movie to hit hard. It was the first outing for what was basically DC analogy to Marvel Studios. The movie was supposed to be their Ironman. The Animated Series probably was green-lit to capitalize on Green Lantern breaking out.

Similarly Green Lantern takes Superman's place in the first new JL comic. Him and Batman meeting up and finding other heroes.

There was an obvious GL push.

Quire.jpg

True. Although I gotta tell you until the new 52 Wonder Woman arc I wouldn't be pushing for an animated series anyway.

My favorite comic version was Post-Crisis WW. I highly recommend Perez, Jiminez, Rucka and Simone's runs.
    She has a complex and somewhat mismatched backstory.

True. Consistency isn't WW's mythos thing. That said, there's no reason a cartoon couldn't pick the best parts like the Justice League and Young Justice series.
    Sucks that I can't think of another DC Heroine that could possibly get a show.

Manhunter might work. Birds of Prey, too.
    You are wrong about the Green Lantern thing though I think. DC was expecting GL's movie to hit hard. It was the first outing for what was basically DC analogy to Marvel Studios. The movie was supposed to be their Ironman. The Animated Series probably was green-lit to capitalize on Green Lantern breaking out.

Similarly Green Lantern takes Superman's place in the first new JL comic. Him and Batman meeting up and finding other heroes.

There was an obvious GL push.

Fair enough.

I've never heard of Manhunter and am not sure how well Bird of Prey could do as a whole. I don't know that anyone in the group or the group itself is high profile enough. Oracle being on the team could boost that but requires some unfortunate elements of backstory for a kids show.

Did we even get an Oracle BatB episode? Because they did just about everything.

Quire.jpg
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Oh there was a GL push indeed, and they pushed hard.

But they failed to realize two problems.
    1. Outside his fan base no one gives a shit about Hal Jordan and he's pretty boring, it's why his movie persona was tried to be move lively. Still failed. They should have tried John, Kyle or hell even Guy.
    2. the GL concept as it is comic book wise is a very hard sale when pushed to other media. They expected the same lightning in a bottle with the comic. They crashed hard on that point.

Anyways back to the Korra stuff.

Been thinking of how Amon can do what he does and came up with a theory so going to spoiler tag it just in case:
    We have seen that all the benders have advanced techniques some can do, like water benders can blood bend. Fire benders can use lightning. Earth benders can metal bend. By the time of Korra is avatar these things are not so much advanced as common techniques used, at least metal and lightning usage. Originally I thought Amon would be revealed to be a bender himself but instead I believe instead he's merely using an advanced technique no one else has learned at all. Only it's not a benders technique. Chi blocking, much as Ty Lee once used this technique to great effect we see that others do so as well now. So what if good ol Amon learned it's own advanced technique no one figured out? If benders can get special abilities what's to say non benders can't only in their case by rerouting or closing off ones focal points that help to open ones chi. Or in Amons' case blocking it so benders can't bend on a more permanent basis unless someone else who knows such abilities reopens the blocked chi point. It really makes the most sense.

Cade on
    edited April 2012
    I've never heard of Manhunter and am not sure how well Bird of Prey could do as a whole.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhunter_(Kate_Spencer)
    I don't know that anyone in the group or the group itself is high profile enough.

Characters or properties being high profile are a good thing to have but not the only reason a cartoon can succeed. Many successful cartoons, films and tv series never appeared in other media before. Korra did well and it's not to dependent on Avatar: TLA aside from the title. Ben 10 had no ties to anything and it's on its third or forth incarnation.
    Oracle being on the team could boost that but requires some unfortunate elements of backstory for a kids show.

Not really. All they need to do is have the Joker shoot her or imply it. It's not really that much worse than Bruce Wayne's or Dick Grayson's origins.
    Did we even get an Oracle BatB episode? Because they did just about everything.

No, Barbara was just Batgirl there I think. I don't remember Oracle ever appearing in any cartoon series yet.

LOK is definitely one of the best cartoon series right now. Very few come close to it in quality. Young Justice is the closest with Iron Man: Armored Adventures not far behind.

Harry Dresden on
    Cade wrote: »

1. Outside his fan base no one gives a shit about Hal Jordan and he's pretty boring, it's why his movie persona was tried to be move lively. Still failed. They should have tried John, Kyle or hell even Guy.

Hal can be a good character in the right hands. He's just incredibly easy to write being an arrogant asshole. That said, you're right the films shouldn't be monopolized by him alone. However, a benefit with using Hal is exploiting his mythos which is incredible. Though they could transplant that to the others.
    2. the GL concept as it is comic book wise is a very hard sale when pushed to other media. They expected the same lightning in a bottle with the comic. They crashed hard on that point.

The concept is fine. It's the execution where they failed. Had they made a GL film worthy of the hype it would have done much better IMO. You don't sell the franchise that's its the next Star Wars (which it could have been) and deliver a terrible movie. Thankfully the animated series is doing well on that front.

Been thinking of how Amon can do what he does and came up with a theory so going to spoiler tag it just in case:
    We have seen that all the benders have advanced techniques some can do, like water benders can blood bend. Fire benders can use lightning. Earth benders can metal bend. By the time of Korra is avatar these things are not so much advanced as common techniques used, at least metal and lightning usage. Originally I thought Amon would be revealed to be a bender himself but instead I believe instead he's merely using an advanced technique no one else has learned at all. Only it's not a benders technique. Chi blocking, much as Ty Lee once used this technique to great effect we see that others do so as well now. So what if good ol Amon learned it's own advanced technique no one figured out? If benders can get special abilities what's to say non benders can't only in their case by rerouting or closing off ones focal points that help to open ones chi. Or in Amons' case blocking it so benders can't bend on a more permanent basis unless someone else who knows such abilities reopens the blocked chi point. It really makes the most sense.
    I like it. Gives non-benders an edge over benders logically without breaking the mythos. I wonder if Korra will learn blood bending and other specialized bending? She's still an amateur with her techniques compared to the more experienced benders like the metalbending police force.

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    You know what would be awesome?

If Ty Lee showed up looking like one of those super old ladies from the beach episode.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Still digging the "last time" announcer. Ragtime music is awesome.

I can't remember the last time I watched a show that made me grin from ear to ear during the entire thing.

• Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    So we have our first pictures of adult Sokka, Toph and Aang
    tumblr_m33qunos2Z1qm2lgno2_1280.png

tumblr_m33qunos2Z1qm2lgno1_1280.png

tumblr_m33cld0YFW1r62usvo3_500.png

Aang is totally the dude in the intro.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So annoyed, I missed so much due to insanity descending on my house at 11:10a with groceries, puppies, and frenzy. I guess I will be purchasing the full season on iTunes.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    There can be no doubt now - Amon is a bad guy.
    He made Korra cry. :(

• The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Z0re wrote: »
    So we have our first pictures of adult Sokka, Toph and Aang
    tumblr_m33qunos2Z1qm2lgno2_1280.png

tumblr_m33qunos2Z1qm2lgno1_1280.png

tumblr_m33cld0YFW1r62usvo3_500.png

Aang is totally the dude in the intro.
    They all look so badass! Aang in particular is a crazy change. Can't wait to see adult Katara.

There can be no doubt now - Amon is a bad guy.
    He made Korra cry. :(

:(

That was such a well-done realization of the effect of all the challenges and struggles which have faced her to date.

The_Tuninator on
    I want a Naga of my very own. :3

camo_sig2.png

• Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    So... am I the only one who thinks they made Toph the chief of police just so during a flashback Sokka can use a 'Justice is Blind' joke?

• Binary SquidBinary Squid We all make choices Registered User regular
    Cade wrote: »

I'm wondering if that's not the case, too. The advanced techniques are simply an evolution in bender "technology" for lack of a better word. And the technique that Amon used could be a similar advance in chi-blocking. Maybe bending itself is only one group of possible abilities, and that entire new "fields" of learnable abilities are possible if someone manages to discover them. It might be fun to have non bending antagonists who have powers that haven't been seen before, giving them a real sense of menace and danger.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Mildly concerned that Aang and Sokka look so grim.

I'm guessing when Aang's spirit does make an appearance he's going to tell the story of the guy he dealt with in his day.

• Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular

My wife asked why Korra animated better then Sozen's comit when I put it on right afterwards.
    So... am I the only one who thinks they made Toph the chief of police just so during a flashback Sokka can use a 'Justice is Blind' joke?

:D That made my day.

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
    Quid wrote: »

I'm guessing when Aang's spirit does make an appearance he's going to tell the story of the guy he dealt with in his day.
    Yeah, this is bothering me too. If we get actual flashbacks of the Aang Gang, I really hope we get some of their humor and dorkiness too.

It just wouldn't be them if they were all super serious, no matter how grave the threat is.

Quid wrote: »

Yeah, this is bothering me too. If we get actual flashbacks of the Aang Gang, I really hope we get some of their humor and dorkiness too.

It just wouldn't be them if they were all super serious, no matter how grave the threat is.
    It doesn't bother me personally. And I'm sure there will be. But if these are flashes of what Korra's going to learn it evidently wasn't a happy time. Which if it has to do with whoever this guy is that Aang "dealt with" I would expect.

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I just thought of something. New theory:
    Amon used to be a bender. He's the guy Aang dealt with, by using energy bending to take his powers away. Amon figures out how to do it and wants revenge.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I'm watching TLA again! That cool statue thing Iroh was looking at in the pirate ship shows up again later, he's playing music next to it. Guess he stole it. :P That thing ever show up again?

Oh brilliant
  • SiracSirac Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Amon used to be a bender. He's the guy Aang dealt with, by using energy bending to take his powers away. Amon figures out how to do it and wants revenge.
    I doubt it. Whatever it was, it still happened 42 years ago -- I don't think Amon is anywhere near that old. Unless I'm remembering that wrong -- was it 42 years before the series, or 42 years after the founding of Republic City?

Sirac on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Revenge against everyone in the city because he's holding a grudge against a long-dead Aang? That is so ... anime.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Sirac wrote: »
    I doubt it. Whatever it was, it still happened 42 years ago -- I don't think Amon is anywhere near that old. Unless I'm remembering that wrong -- was it 42 years before the series, or 42 years after the founding of Republic City?

What if Amon
    is some other bender Aang used it on?

We have no evidence Aang threw in the spirit bending towel

And holy crap that wonder woman thing is a great fight scene, the supergirl vs darkside one is great too. Terrific animation, even if they kind of made superman a wuss

override367 on
    Sirac wrote: »
    42 years before present day.

I personally doubt it but it wouldn't be unfeasible.

I just want to make this joke.

Asami? She's Amon, baby.

camo_sig2.png

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

The "failure" of the Wonder Woman animated movie also led to Batgirl: Year One being shelved.

WB/DC have just treated the DCAU people pretty poorly in general. I'm really surprised the Lauren Montgomery is the only one who's fed up with their BS. Bruce Timm could probably get a lot more leverage if he threatened to leave and work for Marvel.

I think the Green Lantern animated series was greenlit before the movie flopped.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Well, it might not be a matter of Lauren Montgomery "getting fed up with their BS" instead of getting an opportunity to work on what will be one of the best TV series to come down the pipe in a looooong time. Joaquim Dos Santos, one of the main directors of Korra and part of Airbender, was in Timm's group before he left. People leave for all kinds of different reasons.

But yeah, the order at WB for DC DVD stuff is "all Batman/Superman/Justice League, all the time" now. Though they're allegedly making Flashpoint, so who knows.

At any rate, holy crap. The good stuff just keeps on coming.
    And we're pretty much guaranteed an Aang flashback episode now, most likely with Amon mixed up in it some way. They wouldn't have brought it up in the episode TWICE if it wasn't the case/

Also, the use of the announcer for the "last time" stuff is brilliant, and pretty much the only time I've ever willingly sat through that instead of fast-forwarding it.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited April 2012
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    And we're pretty much guaranteed an Aang flashback episode now, most likely with Amon mixed up in it some way. They wouldn't have brought it up in the episode TWICE if it wasn't the case/

Also, the use of the announcer for the "last time" stuff is brilliant, and pretty much the only time I've ever willingly sat through that instead of fast-forwarding it.
    I'm hoping we get a fair amount of Roku-like flashbacks where we see the entire Aang Gang interacting. I really want to see the adult Gaang kicking some ass, particularly adult Katara, as we've yet to see her.

I mean, if these guys were that badass at fourteen, how scary are they going to be at forty? Woe betide any criminals who set up shop in Republic City.

Now the real question is, did Republic City actually have trials, or were arrested criminals simply forced to duel Toph for their freedom?

The_Tuninator on
    edited April 2012
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Well, it might not be a matter of Lauren Montgomery "getting fed up with their BS" instead of getting an opportunity to work on what will be one of the best TV series to come down the pipe in a looooong time. Joaquim Dos Santos, one of the main directors of Korra and part of Airbender, was in Timm's group before he left. People leave for all kinds of different reasons.

But yeah, the order at WB for DC DVD stuff is "all Batman/Superman/Justice League, all the time" now. Though they're allegedly making Flashpoint, so who knows.
    Flashpoint is pretty much a Justice League Elseworlds story, only in the comics Flash tried to fix it to be like his prior universe by altering history again IIRC.
    At any rate, holy crap. The good stuff just keeps on coming.

[/quote]
    This will surely give Korra clues to Amon's true identity. He's got to a resourceful guy to survive the whole adult Gaang, assuming he fought them.

Harry Dresden on
This discussion has been closed.