As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ceci n'est pas une webcomic thread

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    So this movie

ME and You and Everyone We Know

is like....

SE++

in film form

don't you ever fucking insult me like this again or i'll cut you down where you stand

Oh please

you most of all

oghullk I will snuff your life out in a heartbeat if you keep this up

it is not cool

not cool at all

Man, you trippin'

not even remotely

7656367.jpg
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    TL;DR: Can I say that Cameron Davis deserves no measure of success? Or would that be the same as when I said that Rich Burlew deserved no measure of success?

Saying someone doesn't "deserve" something is a pretty deep rabbit hole to go down.

The only person in the webcrumblics business who definitely deserves vitriol on that scale is Ryan Sohmer. And maybe Tim Buckley.

Yeah, I'd say it's better just to pity Davis for his lack of any drive to improve himself as an actual artist, which I feel is evidenced simply by how his comics have looked exactly the same for years and years on end. Unless it's all some giant Andy Kaufman-esque super troll on his part, which part of me kinda hopes for.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    The forums eating up posts is really weird...

• .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    The forums eating up posts is really weird...

Well have you ever stopped to consider it from the forum's point of view? Do you want it to just starve itself for your convenience?

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Yes

yes I do

• Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Firman, I'm actually kind of curious as to what you think about that big, long, rambling thing I wrote.

(Also, Kochikens, since she basically pointed out that I kept doing things like that, but I don't wanna bug her.)

[IMG][/img]
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    So this movie

ME and You and Everyone We Know

is like....

SE++

in film form

I have not seen this movie, you should explain your position further

• .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    Firman, I'm actually kind of curious as to what you think about that big, long, rambling thing I wrote.

(Also, Kochikens, since she basically pointed out that I kept doing things like that, but I don't wanna bug her.)
    Maybe it's the hour. I tried to write stuff but it keeps coming out as incomprehensible rambling. You can check the spoiler but I recommend not because it's boring.
    The spot I came to in similar musings is that it is only fair for me to say "I'm not into that". I don't hate artists anymore, I don't resent budgets or sales. Well, I might start to, but I check the behaviour. I like that different types of art can find different audiences to support it, even if I'm struggling personally. It is a sign of good times that wildly different styles can each succeed. And if one can't succeed, that's too bad. Maybe it needs promotional help, or maybe it is dismal, but I respect that someone tried or is trying.

I'm speaking pretty generally, so I'll probably fail to address something you wanted to specifically hear.

My parents brag about my comic to their friends often and I get input sometimes from different generations and demographics. Who LOVE shit like Family Circus. If they see something drawn that they've seen happen in a household, that is the pinnacle of hilarity to them. I can't get mad at that. I used to, but now, eh. People have comedy tastes, just like they have music tastes, and I've learned very fast not to expect people to like rap either.

Getting into art talk always gets abstract and confusing for me.

To make up for it here is another old comic:
    poopchute.gif

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    That wasn't boring or incomprehensible, and it was pretty interesting, so thanks!

I guess the big thing for me is just finding a way to divorce my definition of Bad Webcomics from the concept of Being Unworthy of Success.

I mean, funnywebcomic is a rancid, bloated corpse on the side of the Internet superhighway, but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean that Davis doesn't deserve to make some money off it.

I think?

I dunno, that seems like a middle of the road response, but I'm a little afraid that I might have swung too far in the other direction, or that I'm falling into another logical fallacy to avoid a previous one.

[IMG][/img]
    Also, that's not the first GIS result for your name, you lying butt!

It does divert to Gremlins though, which is almost as grievous and terrible.

[IMG][/img]
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    uHLcR.gif

no7Wt.png

Came across both of these while trying to find a webcomic talking about can and bottle recycling.

• AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    ooh, this is new to me

2011-09-12-Concoction.jpg

neat art, a bit nsfw though

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »
    uHLcR.gif

is this why englishmen are restrained and australians are blunt

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    yeah

no

that's bullshit

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    why are Canadians so polite, then

PNk1Ml4.png
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    China and Korea can attest to Japan's history of politeness

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    -Tal wrote: »
    why are Canadians so polite, then

We're just awesome that way.

Shadowen on
    gigideegee wrote:
    (wip) i said i was only going to retouch the doughnut kingdom map for the books but then i basically redrew it
    ZVaN1.png

hlep

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    TL;DR: Can I say that Cameron Davis deserves no measure of success? Or would that be the same as when I said that Rich Burlew deserved no measure of success?

Saying someone doesn't "deserve" something is a pretty deep rabbit hole to go down.

The only person in the webcrumblics business who definitely deserves vitriol on that scale is Ryan Sohmer. And maybe Tim Buckley.

The problem here is that what one "Deserves" is a very subjective matter.

I mean, sure, people like Buckley have made a lot of money off of an awful work, but he's maintained the comic consistently, and reliably, for years. If people are giving him money for it because they enjoy it, then that's money earned, fair and square. Saying they don't deserve it is saying "that a guy with a successful business model doesn't deserve his money because he is an awful person and I hate what he does."

It does not work that way, nor should it.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

edited April 2012
    xTBrz.png
    Try Some Tea

A nice steaming cup of tea is an effective aid for most any ailment but can be especially good at helping to loosen phlegm. Ginger, which has been found to help lessen coughs, is a great one to try. You can also try drinking a cup of hot soup that has a water-based broth, nothing too thick.

SabreMau on
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Ultimately I think it's kind of cool that webcomics can be successful with as much variation as they have. I mean I'm pretty sure stuff like CAD is only so successful because it's reliably updated, and pretty constantly too. But then there is stuff like Dresdan Kodak which updates once in whenever and still gets the dude a pretty consistent fanbase.

I mean as much as hate a lot of that crap out there I dunno if I've ever resented any of it.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    I won't pass judgment on someone who isn't funny or skilled at drawing.

I sure as heck will pass judgment on someone who's lazy. That person does not deserve money for their work. Of course, we don't live on a planet called Deserve

or something

That said, I can't really determine if someone's actually trying or not. I remember what it was like to write bad comedy, and I really had no way of knowing I was doing bad things with words.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    If you think that they are not funny or good at drawing then you have passed judgment on them.

You are a judger, Ronnie.

You are a cruel and ruthless judgernaut.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Chico, stop judging Ronnie for judging people.

Judge not lest ye be judged.

I read that somewhere.

In a pamphlet for a dick measuring contest, I think.

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Judging is fine, just don't go passing sentence on people.

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    it's not the shitty webcomics i object to but the fact that people put them on the internet regardless

that's a choice people make and i feel it is acceptable to criticize them for it

of course, cameron davis probably doesn't know his work is shit, but ryan sohmer probably doesn't know that he is hitler's gibbering arsehole

• HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    I put Sohmer in a different category of "Is it okay to be morally offensive with art," which I don't have a concrete opinion on. (I do have a strong opinion on the morality of using one's influence to manipulate fans towards your own socio-political beliefs, among other things.)

I just hate lazy writing/art, mostly because I work my butt off, then I see someone who spent 10 minutes on their art and writing combined. Of course, for those who aren't already institutionalized or just lucked up somehow, being crappy doesn't get them anywhere, anymore. So that's pretty indicative of proper popularity accrual.

oNgps.png

B6z1f.png

kFX7x.png

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    chico, my love

Beasteh, my sweetest of summer fruits.

edited April 2012
    For laughs, I'm thinking of putting a testimonials page on my website of all the people who say bad things about my comic

I read a couple more comics in this series and I have to say, it's probably the worse strip I've ever read on the web.

Please explain how this is even the slightest bit funny.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

you guys gonna kiss

Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

you guys gonna kiss

Nothing so pedestrian.

Beasteh is going to spit some his soul into my mouth and I am going to swish it around like a fine wine.

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    please paint a picture of this as soon as you can

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    soul reversal

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    For laughs, I'm thinking of putting a testimonials page on my website of all the people who say bad things about my comic

I read a couple more comics in this series and I have to say, it's probably the worse strip I've ever read on the web.

Which one is this for? And where do people go to comment on your stuff? Apart from here.

• crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    and bossking knows a thing or two about not being funny!

EzUAYcn.png
  • BosskingBossking Commander President Kingdom of CastlefortRegistered User regular
    rfilyaw wrote: »

I advise you not to do this at all on the basis that it's not funny

This discussion has been closed.