As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] Thread 3 - Rise of the Classy Crabs

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Blendtec wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Blendtec wrote: »
    I finally got in the CS:GO beta. It just doesn't feel "right". I feel like I'm playing some weird CoD mod more than CS.

Honestly, this may be for the best.

I mean to begin with, CS:GO seems like it is a game aimed at an audience that does not even exist. (people who enjoy CS who want a new CS)

So rather than try to appeal to players who don't want a new game in the first place, it may be in their best interest to try and mix it up a bit.

Because no matter what they did, the people who were content to play CS and CS:S will by and large continue to play those games.

I suppose, but at the same time I don't think they can draw in that precious CoD audience. The buy menu, lack of unlocks/killstreaks/iron sights is going to turn those people off immediately. As someone mentioned on the Steam forums, what they should've done is just what they did with DotA 2. New graphics engine, but copy all the gameplay, bugs and everything else directly from WC3. Draws in the players who want shiny new things all the while keeping the old core group. As it stands now CS:GO is trying and failing to be 2 different things, and I'm a little skeptical they'll be doing a complete gameplay mulligan before launch.

I really can't see CS benefiting from that as much as Dota does. CS isn't being kept back by an interface designed for a different game and CS:S isn't that bad looking, the maps are just kinda bland compared to newer games.

I'm not really sure where you're getting the COD feel. I feel like CS, including GO, is pretty much the exact opposite of COD while still being realistic looking war shooters.

• HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Sumanai wrote: »
    Hey errybody! Someone reminded me it's my birthday in a couple of days so I decided to be a little generous and have a few gifts for you instead.

signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png

All the giveaways are open for a couple of days so they should end by the time I return from the weekend. I should be able to get the loot to the winners before Sunday ends.

CRABBY BIRTHDAY!
    y1MU7.png

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    HiT Bit, never change you classy mongrel.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • FiskavFiskav Registered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    Sumanai wrote: »
    Hey errybody! Someone reminded me it's my birthday in a couple of days so I decided to be a little generous and have a few gifts for you instead.

signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png

All the giveaways are open for a couple of days so they should end by the time I return from the weekend. I should be able to get the loot to the winners before Sunday ends.

CRABBY BIRTHDAY!
    y1MU7.png

I can't wait until June, so then I can get in on some of these exclusive gifts :P

steam_sig.png
  • rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I meant to post this last night but my daughter fell out of bed so I had to look after her, as far as I can see nobody else has answered
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Sniper elite is an amazing game. On that note, what's the US price for the second game?

The US price is $45, you can get it for £19.95 UK retail and according to SavyGamer it should be steamworks too

rikdaly on
    steam_sig.png
  • vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    On the one hand, I really want to play a open world, 3rd-person action-y game like Prototype so I'm really tempted to pick up the second.

On the other hand, my backlog is huge already and I should be playing those but, they're not what I want to play at the moment. Gah.

Anyone else run into the issue of just staring at your Steam list and sort of drawing a blank? So many games I haven't even started, so many games I've started and never finished (like Skyrim, Rage, Witcher 2, Darksiders, Dead Space etc.) and then quite a few games I have finished but want to replay (Fallout: New Vegas I'm looking at you).

Maybe someone should just tell me what to play? http://steamcommunity.com/id/abunchofdaftpunk/games?tab=all

Damn Steam, own so many games and I want to play ones I don't own.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    On the one hand, I really want to play a open world, 3rd-person action-y game like Prototype so I'm really tempted to pick up the second.

On the other hand, my backlog is huge already and I should be playing those but, they're not what I want to play at the moment. Gah.

Anyone else run into the issue of just staring at your Steam list and sort of drawing a blank? So many games I haven't even started, so many games I've started and never finished (like Skyrim, Rage, Witcher 2, Darksiders, Dead Space etc.) and then quite a few games I have finished but want to replay (Fallout: New Vegas I'm looking at you).

Maybe someone should just tell me what to play? http://steamcommunity.com/id/abunchofdaftpunk/games?tab=all

Damn Steam, own so many games and I want to play ones I don't own.
    http://steam-roulette.heroku.com/

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    Maybe someone should just tell me what to play?

Stalker.

• AsheAshe Registered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    CRABBY BIRTHDAY!
    y1MU7.png

One of the first things I see in the morning? A crab with cake and a party popper. Gotta be the prelude to a Good Day.

steam_sig.png
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Toy Soldiers is slightly cheaper in the UK (comes to roughly 6 USD) if anyone cares to seek out a smuggling partner.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    rikdaly wrote: »
    I meant to post this last night but my daughter fell out of bed so I had to look after her, as far as I can see nobody else has answered
    Sniper elite is an amazing game. On that note, what's the US price for the second game?

The US price is $45, you can get it for £19.95 UK retail and according to SavyGamer it should be steamworks too

cheers for that. I saw that deal and was tempted till I realised its from zavvi. Still waiting on my PSN card which should have been sent 4 days ago.

Edit: no sooner I post this I get an email alert on my phone regarding the order. Shipped! Talk about timing.

Big Classy on
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Toy Soldiers is slightly cheaper in the UK (comes to roughly 6 USD) if anyone cares to seek out a smuggling partner.

Indeed. Happy to help!

edited April 2012
    Though for anyone interested in Toy Soldiers, early word on the port is uh, not particularly great. Very few resolution options, no rebinding keys (WASD controls or controller basically), and the multiplayer has been stripped out. All while having fun with GFWL.

Corpekata on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Saddled with GfWL and yet they don't even have the courtesy to get multiplayer up.

D- for effort.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

cheers for that. I saw that deal and was tempted till I realised its from zavvi. Still waiting on my PSN card which should have been sent 4 days ago.

Edit: no sooner I post this I get an email alert on my phone regarding the order. Shipped! Talk about timing.

Where are you buying your cards from? Gamestop.com will email you a code same day. I know its Gamestop and they suck blah blah, but I've never had any issues.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    For those interested, Tube's Hitman 2 LP goes live in 3ish hours.

e: Ah, he made a sticky here also. Clever.

Handgimp on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
    Thief 2 is in the registry along with Thief Gold now.

Something happening with Cave Story as well. Has two new entries, something called Cave Story Replay and then Cave Story Beta.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »
    For those interested, Tube's Hitman 2 LP goes live in 3ish hours.

e: Ah, he made a sticky here also. Clever.

It's more than 3 hours, but yeah, this is probably gonna be good.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Though for anyone interested in Toy Soldiers, early word on the port is uh, not particularly great. Very few resolution options, no rebinding keys (WASD controls or controller basically), and the multiplayer has been stripped out. All while having fun with GFWL.

Well that's a goddamn shame.

SteevL wrote: »

Well that's a goddamn shame.

Yeah. I'm still interested so I'll probably snag it in a few months if it goes sub 5 bucks or so.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I never actually played the multiplayer in Toy Soldiers, so I can at least say it's an enjoyable experience without it.

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular

This is good news!

I loved the Thief games. Getting them to work in Vista was a struggle though. Much more so when I lost the discs for them.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »

This is good news!

I loved the Thief games. Getting them to work in Vista was a struggle though. Much more so when I lost the discs for them.

Unless you just *need* them on steam, gog has them for $10 a pop.

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    Shimshai wrote: »

This is good news!

Unless you just *need* them on steam, gog has them for $10 a pop.

This I did not know.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
    anoffday wrote: »

Where are you buying your cards from? Gamestop.com will email you a code same day. I know its Gamestop and they suck blah blah, but I've never had any issues.

I ordered it from Zavvi.com as it was a £20 card for £14, thats a pretty great deal.

I won Sniper: Ghost Warrior during the winter coupon thing and figured I'd try it out, seeing as I was tempted by Sniper Elite V2.
    Its terrible. Like stupidly bad. I'm on my phone so its tricky to explain just how bad it is but rest assured I'll make a detailed post later

• starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    Hard Lesson Learned:

Wanted to remove gems on my awesome weapon in Torchlight. Took it to the dude who removes it. Was not aware it would destroy the weapon.

My dog once told me life is ruff.

camo_sig2.png
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Something happening with Cave Story as well. Has two new entries, something called Cave Story Replay and then Cave Story Beta.

Dear Cave Story,

Look. I already replayed you. Then I replayed you again in Cave Story+. Now I'm replaying you in Curly Story. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT FROM ME?!

-- Frem

PS: OTOH, if this lets OTHER people watch me replay cave story, I'd be all for that.

Frem on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Hard Lesson Learned:

Wanted to remove gems on my awesome weapon in Torchlight. Took it to the dude who removes it. Was not aware it would destroy the weapon.

My dog once told me life is ruff.

IIRC, you can choose to destroy either the gems or the weapon.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Risen 2, yay or nay? I never played the first, but I need to scratch that rpg itch.

camo_sig2.png
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    So I was lucky enough to score a season pass for The Walking Dead, for review purposes. Played the first episode last night and I'm really enjoying it.

Only problem is that I get some pretty nasty frame stuttering when the game switches camera angles in cutscenes. Think Resident Evil Remake on Gamecube.

All the settings are maxed, so I was wondering if anyone knew a specific setting to turn down to fix this? I'm going to try disabling AA later.

• starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    So has steam resolved their category loss problem yet? It is really preventing me from wanting to play anything because I can't categorize stuff between high priority, beaten, and abandoned.

camo_sig2.png
  • rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    Risen 2, yay or nay? I never played the first, but I need to scratch that rpg itch.

I'd say buy the first if you haven't played that, it's less than half price

steam_sig.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    So whats the deal with the daily deals? Yesterdays was never even put up on the front page, and there isn't even one today.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    So whats the deal with the daily deals? Yesterdays was never even put up on the front page, and there isn't even one today.

Perhaps they're gearing up for a sale next month? The May-ly Deals.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »

Perhaps they're gearing up for a sale next month? The May-ly Deals.

HL3.

Or someone is on vacation and the script they left in charge isn't running right.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    we've angered the gaben. daily deals are over.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Heir wrote: »

I'd say buy the first if you haven't played that, it's less than half price

I'll second this. I played and really enjoyed the first, it's basically the next-gen Gothic. Haven't bought the second yet, but I may sometime later when it's on sale/after Diablo 3/when I work through more GameBank (hah!)

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Didn't the dailies start just about a year ago?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    So I was lucky enough to score a season pass for The Walking Dead, for review purposes. Played the first episode last night and I'm really enjoying it.

Only problem is that I get some pretty nasty frame stuttering when the game switches camera angles in cutscenes. Think Resident Evil Remake on Gamecube.

All the settings are maxed, so I was wondering if anyone knew a specific setting to turn down to fix this? I'm going to try disabling AA later.

I had issues with it too, but lower shadow quality fixed it for me. Other people were complaining about it on their forums, and that was the suggested fix.

This discussion has been closed.