As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Avengers: AvX CHAMPIONS. "wedabes" declares Captain America.

• ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    Well even if the individual stories didn't feel contrived at first, it was fairly contrived how the sides ended up as they were. E.g. F4 split for dramatic editorial reasons, not because Reed the character should have acted like that. Also, Maria Hill and 20 soldiers in a pitch black room is directly equivalent to Cap & Avengers showing up on Utopia.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Brevoort talks about Marcus Johnson Nick Fury Jr.

There's a mixed message from Brevoort, where on one hand he admits it's to sync up with the movie and other depictions of Fury, then later he says "well, this new Fury did come from the comics, but from Ultimate to movie to animation, so he's been there all along, what's your problem fans" in an unnecessary dig at the fans. With something this blatant, just say what it is and move on. I think they did it better (and it's mentioned) when Peter had organic shooters to sync up to the movie.

I got a chuckle out of this answer in terms of complete lack of interest on the series (the 4th issue only sold 16k):
    Nrama: How much of a challenge was it to market Battle Scars while keeping these major elements under wraps? I think it took a lot of people by surprise, both the actual developments and where it was coming from.

Brevoort: Well, obviously we like taking people by surprise. We also like it when our books sell well. It was definitely an issue, and I suspect that Battle Scars all along has been kind of under-ordered consequently. It's a problem just in the nature of comic book promotion. We tell you every month that every comic we publish is going to be an absolute, can't-miss critical masterpiece. So saying, "There's an important character coming here! Something's going on here!" isn't always necessarily enough to convince readers or retailers to check it out or take a position, because they just don't know. Sometimes, despite our best intentions, things don’t go off the way we had hoped or planned. It was definitely something that we considered. We were hoping that just being able to press the mystery and the secret of "Who is this guy? Where does he come from? What's he all about?" would be enough to drive people's interest into the series.

Or Marvel could dial it back on overselling every issue or story to really make the important things like this reveal stand out.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Well, really, who gives a shit about Nick Fury Jr?

I feel stupid just typing that out.

Nick. Fury. Jr.

Let's introduce Captain America Jr. while we're at it. Not Patriot, not Battlestar, not Jack Flag.

Captain America Jr.

Yeah, fresh, exciting things are happening in the Marvel Universe!

You know why it was under-ordered? Because everyone could smell that it was just a bunch of dumb bullshit, coming off a poorly-received event.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Yeah nobody really cares about Nick Fury Jr

he's not even his own character

he was a dude who was put in a series of contrived situations that led to him being Ultimate Fury

inexplicably beating up Taskmaster on the way

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    can't be nick fury if you don't beat up taskmaster

7656367.jpg
    Yeah but

he's not Nick Fury

And Taskmaster is hard as ten men, he should have kicked Jr's ass

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Next Infnite Comic will be attached to AvX 6

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    I didn't really follow the story on Nick Fury Jr coming into play...but isn't the reason Nick Fury is so cool and respected by other heroes because he's been around for freaking forever and has tons of experience?

Then again, I don't know how else they could have transformed 616 Nick Fury into Ultimate Fury. I actually would have felt better with Ultimate Fury coming over into the 616 universe than Nick Fury Jr.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    I'm not sure why they weren't just like, "Oh hey, master spy Nick Fury is now using a holographic costume, that looks an awful lot like Sam Jackson."

I mean, it'd be kind of weird to have a white guy wearing holographic black-face, maybe. It'd be like Psylocke ostensibly being an Asian character, but not really, as she's just a white lady in an Asian lady's body.

But, I don't feel like Nick Fury Jr. was a particularly earnest attempt to introduce a new, high-profile black character into the Marvel U, anyhow.

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Munch wrote: »
    I'm not sure why they weren't just like, "Oh hey, master spy Nick Fury is now using a holographic costume, that looks an awful lot like Sam Jackson."
    th_mightyavengers1304.jpg

But, I don't feel like Nick Fury Jr. was a particularly earnest attempt to introduce a new, high-profile black character into the Marvel U, anyhow.
    If it was earnest then I'm dating Kate Upton.

Crimsondude on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    I didn't really follow the story on Nick Fury Jr coming into play...but isn't the reason Nick Fury is so cool and respected by other heroes because he's been around for freaking forever and has tons of experience?

Then again, I don't know how else they could have transformed 616 Nick Fury into Ultimate Fury. I actually would have felt better with Ultimate Fury coming over into the 616 universe than Nick Fury Jr.

Nick Fury Jr: Just like Nick Fury Classic, but only one patty for 99c.

huntresssig.jpg
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    At least it's out of the way now

Kinda like how they brought back Swamp Thing with Brightest Day

Now there can just be good stories told (hopefully)

Tairu wrote: »
    At least it's out of the way now

Kinda like how they brought back Swamp Thing with Brightest Day

Now there can just be good stories told (hopefully)

We still have AvX 3-12 to account for terrible reboots

shine on, you crazy diamond

huntresssig.jpg
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    until swamp thing joins the justice league, his comeback was a failure

7656367.jpg
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »

I mean, it'd be kind of weird to have a white guy wearing holographic black-face, maybe. It'd be like Psylocke ostensibly being an Asian character, but not really, as she's just a white lady in an Asian lady's body.

I'm really bummed Coulson is being introduced in the same book. Because I'd love to see some Coulson but ew Nick Fury jr.

It's just so dumb. This is the epitome of comic book companies insistence of doing incredibly stupid things when movies come out. To bad they almost got away with it. Avengers Assemble was a great idea.

Quire.jpg
  • Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Is Avengers Assemble any good, though? I get the idea behind it, but I wasn't that interested. I didn't think anyone else was either, since there were still plenty available at the LCS this week.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Is Avengers Assemble any good, though? I get the idea behind it, but I wasn't that interested. I didn't think anyone else was either, since there were still plenty available at the LCS this week.

Highest selling Marvel book.

EDIT: other then AvX http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/22625.html

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Avengers Assemble is awesome so far.

But they should've waited to release it closer to the movie instead of two months before it.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Right now I'm trade waiting for Assemble but that might change when A vs. X is over and I have to go back to making hard choices about what books I buy.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    AvX has every book but AvX on fire. I'm glad I'm in a position where I can pick up all the main Avengers titles, including Assemble. Bendis, Bendis, Remender, and Bendis are all knocking it out of the park right now.

I'm almost sad that Bendis is leaving all of them. Then again, I've only been reading since the Heroic Age, so I'm not as tired of Luke Cage and Jessica Jones' on-again, off-again romance as some of you might be.

Also, I flipped through the final Moon Knight today. I didn't realize that book was build-up to Age of Ultron, but I'm hoping we'll get some news soon with that series ending and the FCBD reprint of 12.1 coming next week.

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Then again, I've only been reading since the Heroic Age, so I'm not as tired of Luke Cage and Jessica Jones' on-again, off-again romance as some of you might be.

Was this sarcasm? I don't think anyone cares about Luke and Jessica at this point. I definitely have Bendis-fatigue at this point, and am really excited for somebody new (Hickman) to take over. But yeah, if you've only been reading since Heroic Age, it's been mostly good stuff.

Moon Knight was a cool series but it is still some hefty bullshit that Echo died

Solar wrote: »
    Moon Knight was a cool series but it is still some hefty bullshit that Echo died

Echo is dead?!? Damn it, I liked her character. I thought she was underused by Bendis, and seemed to be tossed aside after being used for Hawkeye's shower buddy.

hefty

bullshit

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    It was poorly marketed, but if a book written by Bendis, about a character with a decent established fan-base, and leading up to Age of Ultron can only last 12 issues, it doesn't give me a lot of hope for Marvel's new and B-list characters (though Huston and Hurwitz both wrote better Moon Knight books than Bendis).

It'd be clever if Ultron did something like, I dunno, free the Phoenix force

because he knows that the heroes will beat it

but then afterwards, when they are weakened, he can strike

that would be cool

Looking back at the first Avenger's trade, with future Iron Man's map of the future, I can see that they've followed the events outlined fairly faithfully. Though one thing that makes me lol is that there is nothing between Schism and Ultron War....which seems to imply to me that they're shoe-horning in the AvX event.

Unless it turns out AvX is really the opening salvo of the Ultron War, in which case I would be duly impressed.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Echo is dead?!? Damn it, I liked her character. I thought she was underused by Bendis, and seemed to be tossed aside after being used for Hawkeye's shower buddy.

At least she is
    a new "voice" in the head of Moon Knight's crazy. So she'll still have chances to be "seen" until they Resurrect her.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Hensler wrote: »
    It was poorly marketed, but if a book written by Bendis, about a character with a decent established fan-base, and leading up to Age of Ultron can only last 12 issues, it doesn't give me a lot of hope for Marvel's new and B-list characters (though Huston and Hurwitz both wrote better Moon Knight books than Bendis).

I would have read it if it was written by almost anyone else.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Yeah, no me gusta bendis

And I hate what he did to Spector

Bendis has been kind of floundering in the 616 universe... I get the idea he's kind of burned out.

Any idea what he's going to be focusing on once he's done with the Avengers?

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Bendis has been kind of floundering in the 616 universe... I get the idea he's kind of burned out.

Many signs point to him doing a new Guardians of the Galaxy/Cosmic relaunch.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    hey guys, this is happening at my university tomorrow, if anyone is in the area and interested.

http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/244836

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular

Many signs point to him doing a new Guardians of the Galaxy/Cosmic relaunch.

is it sad that I'm disappointed in that prospect solely because of how high abnet/lanning set that bar?

• spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    New Hawkeye comic (NSFW?):
    tumblr_m32tsbhSZG1rn3q76o1_500.jpg

So many jokes about him giving her the shaft... Still, a Clint/Kate romance would be creepy, no? What's the age difference?

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    Also, Clint and Spider-Woman are currently a thing, so unless that's being thrown out...also, a 0? Odd.

huntresssig.jpg
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    They're so annoying the way they're being portrayed, though. It's like "Oh hey guys we're just going to make out in front of all of you right now MHMPHMPHMHMPHMPHPMHMH k bye."

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    So Clint is making out with Spider-Woman in main Avengers and they're apparently a couple
    And he's making out with Black Widow on the cover of Assemble
    And now he's making out with Kate Bishop

Valkyrie better watch out in Secret Avengers

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Clint Barton: The Everyman For Everywoman.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote: »

Nick Fury Jr: Just like Nick Fury Classic, but only one patty for 99c.

I'm just calling him Nick Jr, to better associate him with early-morning Nickelodeon.

Also:

"Congratulations, you're a descendent of Nick Fury! That left eye? Might as well start wearing an eyepatch over it now, it might be the only way to keep from losing it, actually."

Say, has there ever been any kind of speculative link between Nick Fury and Odin? Because that would be...interesting.

This discussion has been closed.