As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]nequa don't live here no mo'

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Tam wrote: »
    so uh
    someone bought me a beer tonight
    it was pretty thick and tasted like chocolate and coffee
    can anyone tell me what I drank?
    so I can drink more of it

This is the weirdest thing, since I have literally had roughly a half-dozen beers in the history of ever, but:

One of them was the Brooklyn Brown Ale my roommate likes to keep in our fridge and drink exorbitant amounts of. It says this on the neck label.
    Richly Mahogany in color, Brooklyn Brown Ale is richer and hoppier than its mild and malty English forebears. Chocolate and coffee flavors punctuate the roasty malt background.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    Whelp. Off to work... Everyone is sleeping :C

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Is the new series a remake like battle star galactica?
    It's not a remake. It stopped in 1989 and returned in 2005. In between that time it was limited to novels and comics.

What show or film would you compare it to
    Indiana Jones and Tintin mixed with a very energetic Sherlock Holmes and a tad of Foyle's War.

Is it responsible for canceling firefly
    Nothing of the sort. Firefly stopped in 2002 and Dr. Who returned in 2005.

What is your single favorite aspect of the show
    The retro sci-fi feel it has (Daleks, Cybermen etc. are all pretty rad)
    One thing I dislike about it though is how the Doctor sometimes seems like a deus ex machina. Thus it's always delightful to see when it's not the Doctor saving the day but rather his sidekicks or someone else or when he stands in front of problems which he can't solve, making him all lonely and dreary. When the Doctor becomes sad, there is indeed trouble. I'd recommend starting with the Tennant series.

m3nace on
  • ChromatomicChromatomic Mr. DCRegistered User regular
    so uh
    someone bought me a beer tonight
    it was pretty thick and tasted like chocolate and coffee
    can anyone tell me what I drank?
    so I can drink more of it

Probably a chocolate stout of some kind. If you can find the beer menu of the place you were at that might narrow it down some.

If you want any recommendations though you could try Left Hand Brewery Milk Stout.

• TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Oh hey look there was a whole other page with more answers. Thanks to all dudes who replied.
    Buckwolfe wrote: »
    That really doesn't narrow it down much, other than that it was brand of beer that has a chocolate line. Which, like I said, doesn't narrow it down too much....

Probably a stupid question, but why not ask the person who bought you the drink in the first place????

And also, hello, Tam. Long time.

I don't know who bought it for me
    There was a crowd and my attention was elsewhere. Someone just said "yo tam try this. This might be a beer you actually like." and I took the cup (I would like to add here that I was already sloshed and would not normally take any ingestibles from unknown sources). There were at least 10 of my friends there and all of them know that I almost universally hate beer, so I assume it was one of them.
    I'll probably go back to the bar tonight and try a sampler of all their chocolates and stouts.

Tam on
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Anti-beer high five. It tastes like old dishcloths to me and everyone just goes "oh beer is something you have to get used to"... how many dishcloths must one drink before they taste good?
    I might have to try some chocolate beer too then.

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    m3nace wrote: »
    Anti-beer high five. It tastes like old dishcloths to me and everyone just goes "oh beer is something you have to get used to"... how many dishcloths must one drink before they taste good?

Well, that is basically the difference between a dishcloth and beer, yeah? Maybe you happen to drink unsweetened tea/coffee? That would be an excellent analogy of how beer works.

• FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    Oh hey look there was a whole other page with more answers. Thanks to all dudes who replied.
    Buckwolfe wrote: »
    That really doesn't narrow it down much, other than that it was brand of beer that has a chocolate line. Which, like I said, doesn't narrow it down too much....

Probably a stupid question, but why not ask the person who bought you the drink in the first place????

And also, hello, Tam. Long time.

I don't know who bought it for me
    There was a crowd and my attention was elsewhere. Someone just said "yo tam try this. This might be a beer you actually like." and I took the cup (I would like to add here that I was already sloshed and would not normally take any ingestibles from unknown sources). There were at least 10 of my friends there and all of them know that I almost universally hate beer, so I assume it was one of them.
    I'll probably go back to the bar tonight and try a sampler of all their chocolates and stouts.

There's also Young's Double Chocolate Stout, which is possibly the more popular one, and Rogue also makes a chocolate stout.

• ChromatomicChromatomic Mr. DCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I know beer wasn't particularly great when I was younger but for a long time I've genuinely enjoyed beer. Which isn't to say that everyone should like it and will eventually get used to it, just that it can definitely taste good. Just don't buy Keystone, Natty, Coors, or any of that if your looking for taste though they are good for outings and barbecues on occasion.

Chromatomic on
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    I hate the taste of alcohol in general. I have yet to taste an alcoholic drink and think "Oh that's good!".

steam_sig.png
  • melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    My tolerance for alcohol is so low that I've been conditioned to dislike it. It takes only a few drinks for me to get pukey-drunk, and I don't have hangovers, I get absurdly painful migraines for an hour or two before the night is over and then I wake up fine.

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    That's why you stop at two light drinks.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    'Ello AC, how've you been?

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    no_toast wrote: »

Everyone's dead and replaced with chatbots. You?

edited April 2012
    I've been drunk...ish

Also, have you heard of this fantastic restaurant, McDonalds? Boy is it delicious. You should go there today.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    I really have no desire to drink alcohol. I am very anti-cool.

• TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    That's why you stop at two light drinks.

And drink a healthy amount of water with it. Hydration is key to stopping alcoheadaches.

6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    Thank you m3nace that was nicely explained.

Instagram: fadedsneakers
  • no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »
    no_toast wrote: »

Everyone's dead and replaced with chatbots. You?

I've been replaced by a master's thesis writing zombie. Can't wait to get this over with so I can get back on the healthy AC regimen of witty banter and soul purifying art critique.
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    I've been drunk...ish

Also, have you heard of this fantastic restaurant, McDonalds? Boy is it delicious. You should go there today.

Glad to hear you're finally working on that alcoholism. It's too bad that they don't serve alcohol in McDonalds though. I'd get me some "happy meal" every day!

m3nace wrote: »
    I might have to try some chocolate beer too then.

What the fuck beer are you drinking? Sounds like budweiser or other such shit to me, you're not supposed to drink that.

edited April 2012
    Not necessarily, I have pretty much the same experience with most beers (they taste nasty- it's probably the hops) and I have had quite a number of them
    in fact, at this point, you name a lager/beer/ale that's available across the US or specific to the Southwest, chances are, I've had it
    I can tolerate two and like one
    Fuck, I want to like beer, but I can't

hard liquor on the other hand, is mostly tasty to me, as is cider
    Also, it turns our the stout was Irondale double chocolate

Tam on
    edited April 2012
    I feel sad for the people who only like Bud light( /insert whatever awful light beer you what) and refuse to try other, much better beers. It's like, no wonder you think beer is shit if you constantly force yourself to drink horrible beer.

It's one thing if you just don't like beer. It's another if you don't go out there and try some of the good stuff and still say you don't like beer.

Nappuccino on

• GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Not everyone like beer. I'm a fan but I've known a lot of people who aren't into it. They like their vodka mixed drinks or whatever. Of course, most people don't drink hard liquor straight up like God intended. I love me some good whiskey straight up with just a itty bitty bit of water.

Grifter wrote: »
    Of course, most people don't drink hard liquor straight up like God intended. I love me some good whiskey straight up with just a itty bitty bit of water.

I raise my Cutty Sark to you, sir

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Grifter wrote: »
    Of course, most people don't drink hard liquor straight up like God intended. I love me some good whiskey straight up with just a itty bitty bit of water.

I raise my Cutty Sark to you, sir

How it's supposed to be done. I like beer too, but nothin' beats whiskey with a splash of water. My drink of choice is still a Manhattan on the rocks though.

• lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    I work in a wine bar, and we have maybe a dozen beers. People are all like "HEY U DON"T HAVE BUDWEISER!?" and I'm like "nope sorry just LITERALLY 300 WINES." You, know, because we are a wine bar.

:/

Also I never get hangovers. Which is pretty sweet.

Who goes to a wine bar to ask for a Bud?

I mean, I'm from STL, we're (well, we were) 100% committed to said brand and even I think that is idiotic.

• JeckalHydeJeckalHyde Lord Awesome New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Maybe they miss read the sign and think its a "whine bar".

JeckalHyde on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    My tolerance for alcohol is so low that I've been conditioned to dislike it. It takes only a few drinks for me to get pukey-drunk, and I don't have hangovers, I get absurdly painful migraines for an hour or two before the night is over and then I wake up fine.

Alcohol allergy/extremely low alcohol dehydrogenase?

Basically I diagnose everything via webcomics.

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    I don't drink (parents raging out of control constantly made the idea of intentionally lowering my ability to regulate my decision making extremely unappealing), and I gave up soda (again) after noticing the effect it was having on my teeth, and my endodontist mentioned before he did my root canal (which was pretty expensive) that juice and even milk had enough sugar in it to screw up my teeth (which I really can't afford to fix if much else goes wrong with them), so now I'm just sticking to water.

So I'm increasingly dull and socially isolated, but at least I'm *responsible*!

Go me.

I tend to stick to drinks that are so outrageously expensive that it would not only be irresponsible to drink in excess, but FUCK if I have money to drink it in excess.

I get like an 18 or 20 year scotch and that bottle will last me months. You can get a great deal of enjoyment from just a little bit of it, enjoy the flavor, the smell, the conversation over a single shot that will last an hour or more.

Goes great with a cigar too.

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    I picked this show at random on Netflix to watch called Desert Punk

Ahahahaha what the hell man

• NicNic Registered User regular
    Oh and I fixed my character's "blindness" in fallout new vegas. It's a bug that manifests at Guardian Peak, so fast traveling there and entering the cave located at the peak fixed the problem.

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    I make it a point to try and get along with everyone, and I seldom find people I dislike from a first impression, today, however I found one of those people. At a figure drawing session this afternoon I met a guy who was a teacher.

"What do you teach?", I asked.

"Swimming, duh!", he replies, hitting his head with his hand.

"Oh, that's nice."

"No! I'm an art teacher, what else would it be!!! Sheeesh!"

I was kinda shocked at his stupidity.

For the rest of the session he kept going on talking about himself. I really hate these kind of people.

edited April 2012
    I drew something today. Time to veg out.

ninjai on
  • melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Fugitive wrote: »

Alcohol allergy/extremely low alcohol dehydrogenase?

Basically I diagnose everything via webcomics.

Yeah essentially. I'm allergic in the same way most Asians tend to be.

edit: Apparently it is inaccurate to say "most". Instead I will say "a lot of"

melting_doll on
    omiGAWD wow is boring.... I don't care if the play-time is free.

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    M_D was it you who said something about boys being secret undercover furnaces when introduced to sheets? I had a conversation today about sharing beds with other people and I wanted to attribute that quote, but all I could manage was "some internet person said..."

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    M_D was it you who said something about boys being secret undercover furnaces when introduced to sheets?

I see what you did there.

• Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    Worst hangover I had was the result of 6 vodka shots, half a bottle of Bacardi 151, and some cold blue slush a cute girl gave me all in about 15 minutes.

Woke up 5.5 hours later. Fully nude. Miles from the party. No memories after the slush. Laying face down in a dorm shower with the handicapped hose spraying me in the face and a Guy standing over me.

Ive been told the night included screaming pooping Girls. Cowboy hats. Projectile vomiting. And Half naked bunny chasing.

I blame the bunnies.

Instagram: fadedsneakers
This discussion has been closed.