As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Presidential Election Thread] All Hail the Liberty Rooster.

• TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    I'm a forced D. R party lost me 4 years ago. Im scared if Mit gets elected

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    The thing about Mormonism is this: you have to go whole hog with it. If he had extra marital affairs, those women would be wives and out in the open. I dont find it hard to believe that a Mormon who is in this position right now did not have women on the side.

Wha...

You know that Mormon's have banned polygamy right?

Quire.jpg
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    The thing about Mormonism is this: you have to go whole hog with it. If he had extra marital affairs, those women would be wives and out in the open. I dont find it hard to believe that a Mormon who is in this position right now did not have women on the side.

Not necessarily. Romney (and the Mormon church) are smart enough to figure out it's a bad idea to be overt about him being in multiple marriages. Polygamy is still illegal, after all. He's have enormous control over them politically within the church since he can have them assigned to other husbands on a whim, depending how cozy he is with its leadership by getting the Prophets or anyone else with authority within the religion. Of course he'd have to deeply involved with its fundamentalist sects not mainstream (unless it's still done by the mainstream secretly). This is all speculation and worst case scenarios. It's possible Romney just has one wife and isn't a fundamentlist nutjob.

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular

Not necessarily. Romney (and the Mormon church) are smart enough to figure out it's a bad idea to be overt about him being in multiple marriages. Polygamy is still illegal, after all. He's have enormous control over them politically within the church since he can have them assigned to other husbands on a whim, depending how cozy he is with its leadership by getting the Prophets or anyone else with authority within the religion. Of course he'd have to deeply involved with its fundamentalist sects not mainstream (unless it's still done by the mainstream secretly). This is all speculation and worst case scenarios. It's possible Romney just has one wife and isn't a fundamentlist nutjob.

Let's not hop on this Mormonism train and get the thread locked, mkay?

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I think it is fair to assume that Romney has the one wife. End discussion, let's move on.

Lh96QHG.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I've watched my interest rate go down under this administration, and am just disgusted with this heinous shit.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular

Wha...

You know that Mormon's have banned polygamy right?

Yeah for real I know the only exposure they get on TV is like Sister Wives and Big Love, but that's the FLDS, not the LDS. The Mormons had a whole schism thing to clear up how they didn't feel like fighting the US Government just to keep polygamy.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I think it is fair to assume that Romney has the one wife. End discussion, let's move on.

Yeah, unlike Gingrich, Romney at least seems to be capable of not being a philandering cockbag.

Thankfully, this election might be relatively free of family attacks (I say "relatively" because I'm not putting anything beyond the PACs when it comes to scumbag tactics).

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    As a totally straight woman, I can see why guys would think she's attractive. She's rather decent looking for her age, and for the amount of kids she's popped out. I'd put her on par as your friend's recently divorced mom you secretly fantasized about when you were 13. The glasses and the hairstyle do wonders on her, especially on guys who like the whole 'naughty librarian' look.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    “This kind ofdivisiveness, this attack of success is very different than what we’ve seen in our country’s history,” Romney told students and supporters gathered at Otterbein University in central Ohio. “We’ve always encouraged young people — take a shot, go for it, take a risk and get the education, borrow money if you have to from your parents, start a business.”

Romney then shared the story of sandwich magnate Jimmy John, who Romney said borrowed $20,000 from his parents to launch his first sandwich shop.

“This is kind of an American experience,” he said of John’s story.

College kids these days are so entitled, whining about student debt; they don't even think about the possibility of borrowing a piddling 20 grand from their parents to start a business.

KalTorak wrote: »
    “This kind ofdivisiveness, this attack of success is very different than what we’ve seen in our country’s history,” Romney told students and supporters gathered at Otterbein University in central Ohio. “We’ve always encouraged young people — take a shot, go for it, take a risk and get the education, borrow money if you have to from your parents, start a business.”

Romney then shared the story of sandwich magnate Jimmy John, who Romney said borrowed $20,000 from his parents to launch his first sandwich shop.

College kids these days are so entitled, whining about student debt; they don't even think about the possibility of borrowing a piddling 20 grand from their parents to start a business.

Adjust that for inflation Mr. Romney.

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    Who thinks up this guy's talking points? It's almost like they do it on purpose.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Yeah, unlike Gingrich, Romney at least seems to be capable of not being a philandering cockbag.

Thankfully, this election might be relatively free of family attacks (I say "relatively" because I'm not putting anything beyond the PACs when it comes to scumbag tactics).

Frankly, I don't think there's anything to attack. Both Mr Obama and Mr Romney strike me as men who love their wives and children very much. I might have philosophical and ideological problems with Romney, but on a personal, "family man" level he seems like a stand up guy.

Lh96QHG.png
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Cantido wrote: »

Out of curiosity, I did. Adjusting Romney's incorrect figure to reality (wikipedia suggests $25,000), that investment in current dollars would be ~$58,000.

That's nothing to sneeze at, but it's certainly not a Romney level of handed down wealth.

adytum on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    The point is that Romney appears to think that all parents have $20k just lying around to lend to their kids at a low interest rate.

• adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    They don't? What kind of non-entitled country has this become?

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Even if your parents do have $20k savings, you taking a risk with it is risking their retirement nest-egg. Your parents may need that if their car dies or if they have a medical emergency. Risk-taking with other people's money is not praiseworthy, although I can't expect Romney to understand that, since he built his fortune on it.

• PhantPhant Registered User regular
    Even if your parents do have $20k savings, you taking a risk with it is risking their retirement nest-egg. Your parents may need that if their car dies or if they have a medical emergency. Risk-taking with other people's money is not praiseworthy, although I can't expect Romney to understand that, since he built his fortune on it.

To be fair, 20 grand of Papa Romney's cash probably could have poofed and not mattered in the long run. Of course, most people don't have that kind of scratch to lend, even to family, without basically risking hardship if it doesn't work out.

edited April 2012
    Phant wrote: »

To be fair, 20 grand of Papa Romney's cash probably could have poofed and not mattered in the long run. Of course, most people don't have that kind of scratch to lend, even to family, without basically risking hardship if it doesn't work out.

Even if you don't take his moronic comment at face value, he's talking about the culture of "if you want it bad enough you'll take out the loan for it and bootstrap your way to victory," which doesn't factor in everything that could go wrong with, say, taking out a mortgage from a bank to start a business.

Cantido on
    Even if you don't take his moronic comment at face value, he's talking about the culture of "if you want it bad enough you'll take out the loan for it and bootstrap your way to victory," which doesn't factor in everything that could go wrong with, say, taking out a mortgage from a bank to start a business.

But when people do take risks and it does not work out they are all "tough luck, you should have known better." For instance if a healthy person quits their job to start a business, losing their health insurance, then by bad luck gets seriously ill, they have no sympathy at all.

So if you take no risks they are all like "Playing safe doesn't get you anywhere" but if you take risks and fail they are like "Should have played it safe, dummy." The party motto should be "Damned if you do, damned if you don't."

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    At what point does my 11K in student loans give me access to bootstraps?

• Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular

Around 45k.
    Magus` wrote: »

When you get rid of that pesky morality and become an absolute sociopath with great ability to lie.

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    resevrve.jpg

Headdesk

uhhh, the 50 looks rainbow-colored if anything

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Take a look at Australia's money at some point.

Not every university has a nice Technology Incubator like mine.

• MillMill Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm curious to see how that comment is going to hurt him amongst the non-die republican crowd. I know this is anecdotal and all, but I haven't run into anyone that liked the idea of taking out a loan for that much money to pay for college. In fact, most people I've talked to about the issue have gone into public service (mostly military) to avoid the loans, worked full or part time to avoid loans (some haven't been able to complete their degree) or are stressing over how to pay off their massive loans.

It's classic Romney, where he just doesn't get it. It's also going to be another one of those cases where he is going to luck out because people aren't going to factor in inflation, so he won't get all the flak he deserves. Most people do not have 20k to spare, so 58k is even more unthinkable; especially, in this economy.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    resevrve.jpg

Headdesk

Federal Reserve be trollin the dimwits. Love it.

shryke wrote: »
    resevrve.jpg

Headdesk

bwahahahahaha

Fantastic.

Lh96QHG.png
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm curious to see how that comment is going to hurt him amongst the non-die republican crowd. I know this is anecdotal and all, but I haven't run into anyone that liked the idea of taking out a loan for that much money to pay for college. In fact, most people I've talked to about the issue have gone into public service (mostly military) to avoid the loans, worked full or part time to avoid loans (some haven't been able to complete their degree) or are stressing over how to pay off their massive loans.

It's classic Romney, where he just doesn't get it. It's also going to be another one of those cases where he is going to luck out because people aren't going to factor in inflation, so he won't get all the flak he deserves. Most people do not have 20k to spare, so 58k is even more unthinkable; especially, in this economy.

Out of touch doesn't begin to describe it.

I'm fortunate that my original student loans were dropped from my credit report, not so fortunate that it's because my parents had to file bankruptcy due to a crooked time-share racket that took all their money. They're disabled, and the loans were taken out before the new laws, so all of that was taken into consideration.

I'm finishing my time in the Army and all it took me to be able to afford college was life-long disabilities and six years of my life put towards the service of my country. I guess that's how you bootstrap, right?

edited April 2012

First they'll shudder as the rationalization protocol kicks in, then they'll explain that college wouldn't be so expensive if it weren't for government interference, and that Romney wasn't talking about college, he was talking about starting a small business and helping grow the economy because you don't need no fancy book-lernin' to start a bizness jest like (insert favorite "self-made man" with suspect story here) and it's alla them damb libtards that 're making folks go git liberal indoctrinated at the universities and their underwater basket-weaving degrees instead of gettin' out in the world with their common sense.

edit: Then they will rapidly change the subject to "Obama said this stupid thing," with about a 1-in-3 chance of it actually being a misquote.

Boring7 on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Boring7 wrote: »

Around 45k.
    Magus` wrote: »

When you get rid of that pesky morality and become an absolute sociopath with great ability to lie.

Just tell me who to kill.

Out of touch doesn't begin to describe it.

I'm fortunate that my original student loans were dropped from my credit report, not so fortunate that it's because my parents had to file bankruptcy due to a crooked time-share racket that took all their money. They're disabled, and the loans were taken out before the new laws, so all of that was taken into consideration.

I'm finishing my time in the Army and all it took me to be able to afford college was life-long disabilities and six years of my life put towards the service of my country. I guess that's how you bootstrap, right?

You know, the way that commoners became minor lords (and thus nobility, and thus actual "people" instead of cattle) was usually distinguishing themselves in battle...Really the ONLY social mobility was through military service or complex political machinations once you were "in" with the royals.

Food for thought.

edited April 2012

You also need some startup capital otherwise you'll just become some sweaty boiler-room con-artist two steps ahead of the law.

CelestialBadger on
  • MillMill Registered User regular

First they'll shudder as the rationalization protocol kicks in, then they'll explain that college wouldn't be so expensive if it weren't for government interference, and that Romney wasn't talking about college, he was talking about starting a small business and helping grow the economy because you don't need no fancy book-lernin' to start a bizness jest like (insert favorite "self-made man" with suspect story here) and it's alla them damb libtards that 're making folks go git liberal indoctrinated at the universities and their underwater basket-weaving degrees instead of gettin' out in the world with their common sense.

Yeah, that's kind of what a figure the die-hard republican crowd will do. The only question is will they show up or not in the fall because I think we can all agree they'll likely vote republican.

I'm more interested in the response from independents and moderate republicans who are still deciding on who to vote for in the fall. I'm sure some of them will resort to the mental gymnastics of the die-hard republican crown, but I don't see the comment going over well with most of them.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    You know, the way that commoners became minor lords (and thus nobility, and thus actual "people" instead of cattle) was usually distinguishing themselves in battle...Really the ONLY social mobility was through military service or complex political machinations once you were "in" with the royals.

Food for thought.

Yeah, well, I would have hoped we had moved past the whole middle ages thing, socially speaking.

Food for thought.

Yeah, well, I would have hoped we had moved past the whole middle ages thing, socially speaking.

That's not very pro-business of you.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Wait, I thought Issa was one of the leaders of the obstructionists?

steam_sig.png
    Spoit wrote: »
    Wait, I thought Issa was one of the leaders of the obstructionists?

It's a petition to make Issa investigate these guys.

That's also a really poorly written article. Like, even though I agree with the author I wasn't convinced. Guy needs to appeal to emotion less and provide evidence more.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    resevrve.jpg

Headdesk

No no no. The Federal Resevrve.

This discussion has been closed.