As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

the Dao of "games journalism"

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Melding: got a mail order Monster Researching degree

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    They send you a crate with a pissed-off mythical creature inside of it

If it doesn't kill you, you pass with flying colours

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    The lucky ones just get a goblin with a shiv

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    I wonder how one would set about trying to do a preview of a game like a "real" publication

Do I just fire off an email at Arkane Studios and say "yo I have absolutely zero credentials but I'd like to write a piece about your latest project for a website that I'm not actually attached to"

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

I hear some poor bastard got the Fenrir Wolf.

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Kelpie was my 4th guess.

• premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Edcrab wrote: »
    I wonder how one would set about trying to do a preview of a game like a "real" publication

Do I just fire off an email at Arkane Studios and say "yo I have absolutely zero credentials but I'd like to write a piece about your latest project for a website that I'm not actually attached to"

"I'm a freelance writer doing a piece for this website, check it out and also check out these articles I've written before" might work. I dunno, hopefully someone who isn't me will offer a real answer.

how often does the kelpie even come up?

I mean, honestly, who of you were going to even venture a guess?

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It figures into the Shin Megami Tensei games frequently as an enemy/persona/demon pal/whatever (which is the only reason I know about it)

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Melding got a Doppelganger. I hear she wasn't left handed until afterwards, though. Also, began writing all her R's like Я.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Edcrab wrote: »

you need to find out who the media PR contact is for whoever the publisher of the game is and contact THEM first

they will either a) set it up or b) find out if the preview can happen and then point you towards the PR contact of the developer

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular

I read this as Monster Ranching, then wondered how many monsters Melding has attempted to summon by placing CDs in a Playstation.

Yukira wrote: »

I read this as Monster Ranching, then wondered how many monsters Melding has attempted to summon by placing CDs in a Playstation.

about thirty.
    Fishman wrote: »
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Melding got a Doppelganger. I hear she wasn't left handed until afterwards, though. Also, began writing all her R's like Я.

i wasn't diagnosed with dyslexia until.. oh god no!

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    starting my playthrough of mass effect

god damn the intro takes forever

• Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    Good Fucking God, the voice acting for the English version is God-Awful.

nope sorry I made this joke

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    hey the walking dead game is pretty cool

xmassig2.gif
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    hey the walking dead
    pretty cool

error

error

does not compute

• DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    So, I'm playing Darksiders. It's a fun game, but everything about the Aim Mode is a fucking travesty.

• Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    hey the walking dead
    pretty cool

error

error

does not compute

well I've never read the comic or seen the tv show

But the game is pretty neat and has some cool moments

xmassig2.gif
    i'm not saying your wrong (because i won't play it)

it's just a thing that i find hard to believe knowing what i do about the comic/show

but hey if it's cool that's cool

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular

it's just a thing that i find hard to believe knowing what i do about the comic/show

Why won't you play it?

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    they had episode one of back to the future for free on PSN a while back

i didn't really like it

everything in it seemed to either be a blatant reference to the movies or something that didn't fit in with the tone of the movies at all

Seriously though the Walking Dead game came out of left field.

I heard that they were doing one, but their Jurassic Park game was a piece of shit, and the back to the future games seemed "okay"

And then this came out and was pretty darn good, and does interesting things with the adventure game genre.

I think @Orikaeshigitae or one of you butts for the website should really check it out

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    Artreus wrote: »

Why won't you play it?

because the walking dead is shit and i have no desire to sit through anything based on it

just

ugh

my complaints about twd have been noted other places though

edited April 2012
    Okay.

It is a good game though.

Better than the tv show, though that is not a very high bar

Artreus on
    slightly higher bar than "better than the comic" anyway

GiantBomb quicklook of said game, to give you an idea of the sort of things it does

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-the-walking-dead/17-5912/

edited April 2012
    The first episode of the show was so good.

Then the writers for the show were really, really bad.

So they fired them all, and the new writers were just as bad.

edit: anyway this isn't a walking dead thread. I just wanted to point people at this game that seemed to be doing interesting things

Artreus on
    i fucking love the walking dead show

It is a good and fun show when people are not talking.

It gets awfully shitty when they open their mouths

• LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what the problem with the Walking Dead comic is?

the show is shit, sure, but the comic has been a pretty fun read

f24GSaF.jpg
    Lockout wrote: »

kirkman's usual inability to write dialog for one

his over reliance on being SHOCKING for another

the lack of any kind of plot beyond the same cyclic "we found a place and it looks cool whoops zombies gotta find a new place" plot for a third

I think it's all good! Here and there there are some bad lines but 90% of the time it's incredibly enjoyable

a lot of the world also seems to like it

I've made a point of never reading the comics because even though the show is not meant to be a literally pull of the comics and instead they just provide a loose base, I don't want to know anything about what might happen

kirkman's usual inability to write dialog for one

his over reliance on being SHOCKING for another

the lack of any kind of plot beyond the same cyclic "we found a place and it looks cool whoops zombies gotta find a new place" plot for a third

ah, that's fair. I've never read any of Kirkman's other stuff and usually just turn my brain off to enjoy some post apocalyptic nonsense when reading the Walking Dead

f24GSaF.jpg
    edited April 2012
    The Walking Dead show is a premium source of contrived, pointless, badly written drama with zombies for window dressing, if you dig on that sort of thing.

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

edited April 2012
    T4CT wrote: »

I think it's all good! Here and there there are some bad lines but 90% of the time it's incredibly enjoyable

I've made a point of never reading the comics because even though the show is not meant to be a literally pull of the comics and instead they just provide a loose base, I don't want to know anything about what might happen

yeah, if you'd read the comics you'd just be disappointed about the cool stuff they changed in the show

Shane's character was handled really poorly, for one. though I guess that might've had something to do with the show's demographic apparently loving a horrible psychopath with zero redeeming qualities?

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg

yeah, if you'd read the comics you'd just be disappointed about the cool stuff they changed in the show

Shane's character was handled really poorly, for one. though I guess that might've had something to do with the show's demographic apparently loving a horrible psychopath with zero redeeming qualities?

yeah! Shane's a pretty neat character. It's not like anyone loves the guy but that doesn't make him a bad character.

also (season 2 spoilers right to the end)
    seeing Rick make the transition from kind of calm and well thought out leader to super controlling and scared and a little scary to those around him was pretty cool

if it's something where the comics were different and you think the comics did it better that's all well and good

but that doesn't make the show a bad show

it's quite interesting and fun to watch!

No that's true, it's not the divergence in plot from the comics that makes The Walking Dead a bad, bad doo doo show.

No that's true, it's not the divergence in plot from the comics that makes The Walking Dead a bad, bad doo doo show.

thank you you're right i'm wrong objectively

how did i possibly not see this before

thank you you're right i'm wrong objectively

how did i possibly not see this before

Arn't you the guy with self-described low standards who can like anything?

This discussion has been closed.