As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FRINGE] Reality be fragmenting at the seams

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    That just raised a crap ton of questions. Wonder if we're in for another universe or 4 to be erased!

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I do wish they had either
    made the "OMG you're my father!" bit less telegraphed, or not tried to make it seem like a major shocker. Because 20-something blonde chick who looks like Olivia actually being Olivia's and Peter's child? Not so surprising.

In general, I got a Dollhouse Epitaph-One vibe from the whole thing. They left it at a funny place, though. I was expecting next week to continue that story, but apparently they're going back to normal-time?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    You don't think they are going to try and maintain both storylines alternating between weeks? That would be amazing.

One week you are watching them save the world knowing that in the future things are even worse, at the same time you are watching them try to undo some of the damage that was done as they saved the world in the past @ the same time. That's some gutsy decisions made if that's what they are going to attempt.

(we know next weeks is back in the "past", and they set up enough stuff to know we aren't done with the "future" - I think they are going all out in this possible last season)

They actually did set that up when Nina first saw Walter again with the Saving The World bit. "They did it before." "Not without great cost." or something. Hmmm....

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Am I the only one who got a bit of a Star Wars vibe from some of the scenes? (not counting the 'These are not the droids you're looking for' line)

I got more of a Terminator/SkyNet vibe from it - well, at least during the opening scrolling text thingy. That music was very Terminator like.

Other than that, wow.

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I was getting a Blade Runner vibe. That text crawl screamed the crawl from the beginning of Blade Runner, and I swear one of the shots of New York was deliberately chosen to mimic one of the shots of the spinner landing in Blade Runner.

Also, I was betting they were going to pull some kind of crazy twist and have Etta be Fauxlivia and Lincoln's daughter or something, but Oh Well.

I wonder if Leonard Nimoy is going to come back for one more episode or if he's done-done for good now? I thought he was totally through with the show but now I am wondering what's going on with him in amber.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
    Pretty sure he's retired, period. That's why he was in the amber and the only part that got out was a hand. It wasn't Nimoy.

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    The opening scrawl was straight up Blade Runner. Right down to the red text highlights and use of term quotations.

What I'm curious about is Bell's role in this new universe, and what he did that pissed off Walter.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    I don't know. And honestly, I don't really care. Man, what a crap episode. It felt like it was done by entirely different writers. Fringe is usually pretty good about not making its dialogue insultingly insipid. And the new actors' deliveries certainly didn't help.

Flood of spergrage within.
    Just so much stupid. If you know your airblast gun will knock someone around, why in God's name would you angle it so that the frail old man you're trying to rescue will be immediately THROWN AT HIGH SPEED INTO A WALL? You have all kinds of doohickeys around, how about a MATTRESS so that you don't risk cracking open Walter's skull? Or one of you could be there to catch him and soften the blow? You know, something that makes SENSE?

Why does your brain-imaging gizmo only have one battery, other than it give the actress (I couldn't even be bothered to remember her name) an excuse to hand something to Simon?

Why does the Loyalist kill that one guy, but not her?

The episode is full of shit like that. Nearly every scene has something that doesn't logically follow, or is stupid/nuts. Like the climax.

Jesus christ if it you know you have trackers in your body, shouldn't that be the first thing you find out how to nullify if you think you're part of a resistance movement? And hey, dude, if you're so ready to sacrifice yourself - which you seem to be since you get yourself sealed up in amber - since you apparently know it's YOUR tracker they activated (what? does the girl not have one?), why don't YOU just run and give the team time to get everyone out? If Broyles/Observers corner you, then you can blow your brains out. It's not like trapping yourself in amber is going to save you, unless you really think the Observers won't be able to find a way to get you out of the amber and mind-rape you.

I'm also tempted to call bullshit on Walter knowing secret details of Massive Dynamic's headquarters considering he was in a fucking mental hospital when the building must've been drawn up and built, and that was AFTER he'd had this brain tissue removed, and in this universe he apparently never became MD CEO (or if he did, never left the lab to visit it). I suppose it's possible that he could've found out about the secret passages in the four years we haven't witnessed, but that's just making excuses for it.

God I hate this episode. The only redeeming parts of it were watching John Noble and Blair Brown act.

And oh, as a final note, thank you very much, series, for ruining the Observers. You manage to take a truly alien, unnerving, mysterious antagonist(?) and turn them into fucking Captain Planet villains.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    It actually felt like, to me, an elaborate way to say
    Olivia is pregnant. In order for HenriEtta to be 4 years old when she last saw her parents before they were ambered/killed in 2016 (20 years earlier than the future timeline), she would have to be born in 2012, hence, for that timeline to mesh with the "modern" version, Olivia needs to get preggers pretty damn soon if she is not so already.

Also, it seems to me that Olivia was dead (the bullet that Etta wore) and that Bell was who killed her (Walter saying "what Bell did to Olivia").

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
    Agreed more or less on the first part. But the second, eh:
    That be a pretty hardcore revenge memento if it was true and she didn't take Bell's head when Walter grabbed his piece, so it seems iffy to me. I suspect Bell did something less direct that didn't outright kill her like all the experiments people run to activate her powers. Bell probably did something they turned them up to 11 and Bad Things Happened To Save The World.
    Or something.

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I will say, my favorite moment was when
    It was Astrid in the amber.

The show was totally telegraphing the "THIS IS PETER AND OLIVIAS DAUGHTER" the entire time, so I was positive it would be Peter and Olivia in the amber. Astrid was an awesome surprise.

Oh, and one thing that to me at least, proved this future is directly connected to right now:
    September said that he had looked at all possible timelines, and didnt see any where Olivia survives.

Olivia is not in this future.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    i kind of dropped off during this season around the episode with the Observer in the movie theater.

is the show still good or should I continue waiting to see the words "series finale" before diving back in?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    I don't know. And honestly, I don't really care. Man, what a crap episode. It felt like it was done by entirely different writers. Fringe is usually pretty good about not making its dialogue insultingly insipid. And the new actors' deliveries certainly didn't help.

Just so much stupid. If you know your airblast gun will knock someone around, why in God's name would you angle it so that the frail old man you're trying to rescue will be immediately THROWN AT HIGH SPEED INTO A WALL? You have all kinds of doohickeys around, how about a MATTRESS so that you don't risk cracking open Walter's skull? Or one of you could be there to catch him and soften the blow? You know, something that makes SENSE?

Why does your brain-imaging gizmo only have one battery, other than it give the actress (I couldn't even be bothered to remember her name) an excuse to hand something to Simon?

The episode is full of shit like that. Nearly every scene has something that doesn't logically follow, or is stupid/nuts. Like the climax.

Jesus christ if it you know you have trackers in your body, shouldn't that be the first thing you find out how to nullify if you think you're part of a resistance movement? And hey, dude, if you're so ready to sacrifice yourself - which you seem to be since you get yourself sealed up in amber - since you apparently know it's YOUR tracker they activated (what? does the girl not have one?), why don't YOU just run and give the team time to get everyone out? If Broyles/Observers corner you, then you can blow your brains out. It's not like trapping yourself in amber is going to save you, unless you really think the Observers won't be able to find a way to get you out of the amber and mind-rape you.

I'm also tempted to call bullshit on Walter knowing secret details of Massive Dynamic's headquarters considering he was in a fucking mental hospital when the building must've been drawn up and built, and that was AFTER he'd had this brain tissue removed, and in this universe he apparently never became MD CEO (or if he did, never left the lab to visit it). I suppose it's possible that he could've found out about the secret passages in the four years we haven't witnessed, but that's just making excuses for it.

God I hate this episode. The only redeeming parts of it were watching John Noble and Blair Brown act.

And oh, as a final note, thank you very much, series, for ruining the Observers. You manage to take a truly alien, unnerving, mysterious antagonist(?) and turn them into fucking Captain Planet villains.
    If you know your airblast gun will knock someone around, why in God's name would you angle it so that the frail old man you're trying to rescue will be immediately THROWN AT HIGH SPEED INTO A WALL? You have all kinds of doohickeys around, how about a MATTRESS so that you don't risk cracking open Walter's skull? Or one of you could be there to catch him and soften the blow? You know, something that makes SENSE?

They didn't know how strong it was? No idea, that didn't stress me that much, seeing as he crashed into soft cardboard boxes
    Do we know exactly who killed him? Maybe it was someone who was cutting lose ends, as the guy knew too much

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »

If you know your airblast gun will knock someone around, why in God's name would you angle it so that the frail old man you're trying to rescue will be immediately THROWN AT HIGH SPEED INTO A WALL? You have all kinds of doohickeys around, how about a MATTRESS so that you don't risk cracking open Walter's skull? Or one of you could be there to catch him and soften the blow? You know, something that makes SENSE?

They didn't know how strong it was? No idea, that didn't stress me that much, seeing as he crashed into soft cardboard boxes
    Do we know exactly who killed him? Maybe it was someone who was cutting lose ends, as the guy knew too much

As far as the mattress, I think they did their best with setting the boxes to break the fall. I imagine, since they are trying to be secretive about it, dragging a mattress through Fringe Division and into the supply closet is going to bring with it some unwanted attention and uncomfortable questions.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    That just raised a crap ton of questions. Wonder if we're in for another universe or 4 to be erased!

This is what made it very hard to care about this episode. It's another universe and it's pretty bad, odds are it'll vanish.

And antimatter just makes entire building disappear? Really? Everybody can spot the issues with that. I wish they'd bring back their high school science fact checker.

Cool titles though.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    It might be I watched too much Star Trek, but I always thought if antimatter is used, it would leave a gigantic crater, even if one just uses a tiny amount of antimatter. Just having the building disappear was kind of a let down actually.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    It might be I watched too much Star Trek, but I always thought if antimatter is used, it would leave a gigantic crater, even if one just uses a tiny amount of antimatter. Just having the building disappear was kind of a let down actually.
    could always be an anti-matter powered device by walter's design. We all know what can happen when walter designs something: Anything :P

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Per the Fringe Facebook page, it's officially been renewed for a fifth and final season.

oE0mva1.jpg
    Well yay. Lets hope they use it well.

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    13 episodes.

Final season trailer (using footage from previous seasons only) is here, and while nothing is new, definitely got me hyped: http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/04/26/fringe-final-season/

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Wow. The last episode made me excited for a new season when before, I was just awaiting its slow death. So this has been an awesome week for fringe.

616610-1.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Having a defined end to work to should really help things. Good news.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I think we are going to get a decent bit more of the "future" as well as a build up to what "save the world" event the fringe division was involved in that
    caused olivia's death, if she is dead...
    and this future. I see them handling both stories at the same time, similar to when they first gave us the other side and switched back and fourth every episode.

This season will likely wrap up the Jones story and the "peter going home" story to help calm things a bit. No more "4 universes in play" we will be down to 2, possibly 1 depending on what happens with Jones. Then we can focus on "future and current timelines" without it being too messy for the final season.

616610-1.png
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    So this is either buliding toward the Watcher future they showed, Peter jumping to a new universe, them solving everything and staying in the current universe, or X.

I'm calling X as Jones' plan kind of goes off, but Olivia and Peter are the only two saved and become "Adam and Eve" of the new Universe.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    What the fuck. . .have we been Rick Rolled. . .was last week not a god damned To Be Continued?

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    edited April 2012
    As was said, they'll probably alternate.

But why no one even mentioned "Shutting the bridge down is exactly what Jones wants possibly!" or "Jones can hop back and forth easy enough, we're not separated for all time." I do not understand. Nor Walter and Walternate keeping quiet about the fact shutting it down may have KILLED Peter. That's kind of big "Oh, by the way..." kind of thing to keep from him and Olivia.

I'm glad they got another (half) season, because they're either building up well or squandering the season albeit in a decent way.

Xeddicus on
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Fringe got renewed?

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    For a final season of 13 episodes.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    That's great! i think that will give them enough time to end things.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

They knew (or were hoping) it was strong enough to throw a grown man out of a given space in a split second, so that's not really an explanation for the stupid.

(Also, sidenote, why does the airblast only affect solid things and not gas? That doesn't make any sense- ... sigh. Whatever.)
    Bloodsheed wrote: »
    As far as the mattress, I think they did their best with setting the boxes to break the fall. I imagine, since they are trying to be secretive about it, dragging a mattress through Fringe Division and into the supply closet is going to bring with it some unwanted attention and uncomfortable questions.

That would make sense if it wasn't already established that you can smuggle a giant chunk of amber with someone inside it around inside the building.

Honestly, though, that scene is just a minor part of the stupid of the episode. The reason I harp on it is that it was at that point that I started throwing up my hands and making disgusted noises at the TV.

Oh well, I'll get around to watching yesterday's episode sometime in the next couple days. Back to the regular cast!

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    As was said, they'll probably alternate.

But why no one even mentioned "Shutting the bridge down is exactly what Jones wants possibly!" or "Jones can hop back and forth easy enough, we're not separated for all time." I do not understand. Nor Walter and Walternate keeping quiet about the fact shutting it down may have KILLED Peter. That's kind of big "Oh, by the way..." kind of thing to keep from him and Olivia.

I assumed Jones wanted to shut down the bridge--isn't that why he told Colonel Broyles to go to the machine with a (presumably explosive) device? Presumably whatever his back-up plan to destroy the universes is (as per the teaser for next ep), it doesn't need the bridge in order to work, and was therefore initially Plan A. Destroying the bridge would have given him a monopoly on inter-universe travel, making him essentially impossible to apprehend. When Broyles failed to destroy the bridge, he moved to Plan B, which we saw in this episode. Now that Plan B won't work, he'll go back to his original plan, along with aforementioned monopoly.

Everybody acknowledged the possibility that they'd be able to turn the machine back on and re-establish the bridge; but they weren't sure, so they felt like they'd never see each other again. Until they catch Jones they can't even try.

As for keeping quiet about shutting it down getting rid of Peter... I don't blame them for keeping it to themselves--both men are keenly aware that it can be difficult for anyone to put the good of all over selfish need. The chance that Olivia would try and stop them from shutting down the machine meant it was better not to tell her, at least when weighed against the fate of both universes.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    edited April 2012
    But they don't NEED the bridge to cross over. Olivia doesn't need anything (last we saw. They've mentioned that but kind of dropped it too), Jones doesn't use the bridge, Walter can probably make another portal that doesn't screw things up. But they didn't really stop to think about what Jones could do with the bridge off as far as we know and that just seemed off. Especially since they never really confirmed he even needed the bridge open, unless I'm forgetting something.

And I suppose not telling them can be attributed to not taking the chance of one of them backing out, but I also think they earned the right to be given that 'option' at this point. Or more to the point just to know the score. Bit of a slap in the face if he went poof and they explain it after the fact. But it makes sense, I suppose.

Xeddicus on
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    For a final season of 13 episodes.

Yesssssssssssss!

Awwww yesssss
    Nimoy is back

oE0mva1.jpg
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Sprint. Buy coffee with your phone!

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    And be sure to only go in pairs to save the world and be unarmed and/or really inept too!

But yay for Nimoy being back, didn't see that coming. I was expecting the escalator thing to be another test for Olivia, but instead it was....ok, not even going to try and work my way through all that.

Good thing we have another half season to go, no way in hell can they wrap all this up.

I kind of enjoy playing "spot the product placement" every week. The alternate universe episode with the product placement was the best of things.

oE0mva1.jpg
    Oh and why the hell is Olivia joining the "Woe is me, I have awesome powers!" club. Hello, those powers have been pretty damn useful in the balance, things would just be worse if you didn't have them.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I do wish they had either
    made the "OMG you're my father!" bit less telegraphed, or not tried to make it seem like a major shocker. Because 20-something blonde chick who looks like Olivia actually being Olivia's and Peter's child? Not so surprising.

In general, I got a Dollhouse Epitaph-One vibe from the whole thing. They left it at a funny place, though. I was expecting next week to continue that story, but apparently they're going back to normal-time?
    I thought the blonde was going to be Olivia's young niece all grown up.

Good comparison with Dollhouse - Epitaph One. Fits it perfectly.
    Leaving it on a cliffhanger was frustrating, though. They should have made it a two parter.