As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• BhaalenBhaalen Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Skab wrote: »
    Bhaalen wrote: »
    So I'm going for world first 60. My friend and I were hoping to do this 2 man, but because of the way health scaling works in coop, thats no longer an option. We NEED 2 others, and time is running out. Where can I find 2 reliable no lifers. I'm worried all this hard work will be negated. :(

Why would you need 4 people? Isn't that just slowing you down by giving everything more health?

Also do we even know if there is going to be a world first 60 achievement/feat of strength type thing?

Monster life scales with the number of players in the game as follows: 100%, 175%, 250%, 325%. So 4 times the damage vs 325% health plus synergies.

The reason I want world first is, I'm starting daily youtube vids with the D3 launch, and I think world first would really help boot strap my channel.

Bhaalen on
    Be careful. Your productivity will drop if you click this link.
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Good luck, man. I'd love to help you out, if there's any way I can. I'll be on summer vacation when Diablo III releases, and I won't be going back to college until like August. So I'll be home a lot, but I'll also be watching my kids and taking care of the house and stuff. I still intend to be a fair bit, though. Let me know if there's any way I can help.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So I'm going for world first 60. My friend and I were hoping to do this 2 man, but because of the way health scaling works in coop, thats no longer an option. We NEED 2 others, and time is running out. Where can I find 2 reliable no lifers. I'm worried all this hard work will be negated. :(

Why would you need 4 people? Isn't that just slowing you down by giving everything more health?

Also do we even know if there is going to be a world first 60 achievement/feat of strength type thing?

Monster life scales with the number of players in the game as follows: 100%, 175%, 250%, 325%. So 4 times the damage vs 325% health plus synergies.

The reason I want world first is, I'm starting daily youtube vids with the D3 launch, and I think world first would really help boot strap my channel.

So 100%, 87.5%, 83.3%, 81.25% if you work out the math. I'm guessing due to inefficiencies of mutiple people coordinating attacks is probably the reason for the differences. I bet 3 would be the sweet spot rather than 4.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    Incindium wrote: »

So 100%, 87.5%, 83.3%, 81.25% if you work out the math. I'm guessing due to inefficiencies of mutiple people coordinating attacks is probably the reason for the differences. I bet 2 or 3 would be the sweet spot rather than 4.

It might be. All four classes synergizing buffs makes up for it though.

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular

So 100%, 87.5%, 83.3%, 81.25% if you work out the math. I'm guessing due to inefficiencies of mutiple people coordinating attacks is probably the reason for the differences. I bet 3 would be the sweet spot rather than 4.

Regardless of monster damage you want 4 people so you have the most chances possible of rolling +xp gear which they can pass to you.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Regardless of monster damage you want 4 people so you have the most chances possible of rolling +xp gear which they can pass to you.

You probably also want to be spending money in the RMAH to buy +xp gear.

Zek on
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »

Or the gold ah. Not sure why it has to specifically be the RM one.

steam_sig.png

Or the gold ah. Not sure why it has to specifically be the RM one.

I guess it depends how many people you have funneling you gold. But you can bet that other people going for the world first 60 won't have that limit.

• SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So I just learned that you don't have to have the Summon Zombie Dog skill active (as in on your bar) in order for the Circle of Life passive to proc.

That's good to know.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Alas you do have to get the killing blow so it seems pretty blah when playing in a group since it is a small percent chance of the small percent you kill.

I was hoping to leech an army of zombie dogs off my teammates.

• Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    The main thing with Circle of Life for me was the range. 8 game yards is not much at all. I had much better luck getting procs using unruned firebats than any other skill or combination of skills.

Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • PriestPriest Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Circle of Life

Knowing nothing of what class uses this and what scenario it is used in, I will be supremely disappointed if this skill does not involve the lifting of a poor young creature towards the sky. (For praise, sacrifice, taunting, whatever.) If it is not immediately followed by an entire congregation of the Animal Kingdom devoted to the genuflection of this event, I will send a strongly worded note of complaint to a random internet forum (or my paltry blog that I only post on every 7 months but is my "Artistic Sociopolitical Expression of my utter shittiness") that nobody at Blizzard reads, demanding that this be changed, and outraged that I had to pay whatever amount of money I paid.

Priest on
  • lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    world first 60
    Why is this even a thing?

World's best janitor
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    lu tze wrote: »
    world first 60

internet

Can someone explain to me how to add multiplicative bonuses? I'm trying to figure out what kind of dodge-chance I'll be looking at with my Monk, but I'm not totally sure how to add everything up. You don't need to do the work for me or anything; I've just seen like, 4 or 5 different ways people are doing it, and I'm seeing a lot of different results. I'm trying to figure out if it's worthwhile to to sacrifice some of the raw dodge potential to pick up some pure damage reduction powers.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me how to add multiplicative bonuses? I'm trying to figure out what kind of dodge-chance I'll be looking at with my Monk, but I'm not totally sure how to add everything up. You don't need to do the work for me or anything; I've just seen like, 4 or 5 different ways people are doing it, and I'm seeing a lot of different results. I'm trying to figure out if it's worthwhile to to sacrifice some of the raw dodge potential to pick up some pure damage reduction powers.

Isn't pure damage reduction almost always going to be a better choice? You get reduction 100% of the time, but only dodge sometimes. Depending, of course, on the actual numbers. Giving up a huge amount of dodge % for a small amount of reduction would be silly.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Is there anyway to buy the first Diablo and get it to work on Windows 7? Amazon is offering new copies... at $25 bucks a pop. No Blizzard, sorry, your 12 year old game is not worth that much. I paid $20 for D2 + LoD Battle pack and I felt THAT was overpriced too.

You can get it used and not skip a beat. Blizzard didn't start using cd-keys until Starcraft, so Diablo doesn't have any real registration process - Incidentally this is also the reason it's not available on battle.net as a digital download.

(Now, why Blizzard just doesn't offer it up for free at this point as a marketing gesture would be something to take up with them.)

They probably don't consider it worth their effort, I guess.

In any case, Diablo plays in Windows 7, it just has the common color-set glitches that can be solved by closing explorer.exe in task manager.
    Variable wrote: »
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Am I an old guy that just likes my discs and artifacts? I'm a Steam and digital distribution fan, but I'm getting a physical D3 copy.

I've changed just because of how easy Steam has made everything. I still love getting physical copies of stuff (I consider my stuff a collection/library and it's much more satisfying on a shelf than a list in a program on my computer) but it's just not always the most reasonable move.

that being said since I got the CE I will have a physical copy of D3. right next to me collector's edition of SC2 and Cataclysm (and maybe mysts of pandora by the end of the year... and definitely heart of the swarm)

You're not alone. The last thing I want is a letter telling me I surpassed my bandwidth cap on something that would have been mailed to me for free.

Plus, I do like having the physical stuff itself. Blizzard used to have fantastic manuals--not anymore, but the cases and discs are still nice.

• Anid MaroAnid Maro Registered User regular
    Hate to be a smart ass, but you don't add them... they're multiplicative. :)

That said, it really depends on what bonuses you're looking at.

If you're looking at dodge chance from DEX along with bonus dodge from gear, that all funnels into the same stat (Dodge) and can be added up for the total.

If you're looking at total dodge along with DR from armor, you have to do it differently by multiplying them together. This is because first you dodge a certain % of attacks, and then of those attacks that aren't dodge a certain % of damage is reduced by armor.

E.g. if you have 30% Dodge and 30% DR by Armor, 70% of attacks will get through and do 70% of their damage so you take 0.7 * 0.7 = 0.49 for 49% of the damage getting through meaning a total of 51% DR from Dodge and Armor (100% damage - the 49% damage that you take = 51% damage was reduced).

Straight damage builds are great until the difficulty ramps up, and you're losing DPS uptime because combat's too hot. I suspect that defensive builds like mine will end up being really effective in D3, since potion and portal use was intentionally nerfed in order to make combat more difficult accross the board (also, Inferno mode). Dodge is pure damage mitigation. Most of the builds I've seen that are similar to mine can maintain about a 65% chance to dodge, and can spike up to 75%+. That's according to the information we currently have, though. It's very probable that there will be a soft cap on dodge, and maybe even a hard cap. Who knows?

Anid Maro wrote: »

I know that, Maro. I'm asking how to properly apply multiple multiplicative bonuses.

• Anid MaroAnid Maro Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yes, I'm just poking a lil' fun at how you phrased it. I know what you meant. :)

Edit: Also, here's an interesting thread if you want some of the nitty gritties.

Anid Maro on
    That's awesome, thanks man.

world first 60

I started out only wanting it because of the attention it would give my channel. Now that I've been putting in the work to prepare, and see how challenging something like this really is, I'm having a blast.

Please don't let the fact that a few people are "racing" to the end make you upset in some way. It's just a meta game for competitive types.

• tehjestertehjester Tampa, FlRegistered User regular
    world first 60

I started out only wanting it because of the attention it would give my channel. Now that I've been putting in the work to prepare, and see how challenging something like this really is, I'm having a blast.

Please don't let the fact that a few people are "racing" to the end make you upset in some way. It's just a meta game for competitive types.

Well good luck, sir. If there's anything that i can do let me know. I'll gladly fork over a unique/rare if it helps you out. Just need a shout out if/when you Mission Accomplished it

PSN: JesterKing13 Blizz Battletag: tehjester#1448
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    If you are seriously gunning for world first to level 60 you're going to need a lot more than 3 cohorts. Because I guarantee there are other people with the same goal who will field multiple full games of players whose sole purpose will be to do things like funnel the best gear to the "bodyguards" of the boost character and all the best +xp gear to the actual boost, funnel all crafting materials to a dedicated crafter who will do nothing but work to craft a golden road of twink items, or to "prepare" a game so that the boosted character and drop in and immediately get a quest completion chunk of XP, and whatever other "exploits" they can come up with.

Scosglen on
  • RadioElectricRadioElectric Registered User regular
    Anid Maro wrote: »

I know that, Maro. I'm asking how to properly apply multiple multiplicative bonuses.

To be even more unbearably smart-assy, he could be adding their logarithms. Depending on the way that the bonuses compound, that may be the "correct" way of doing the maths.

• SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    World firsts in D2 had teams of people coordinating to get them to work. Back when Diablo himself was the only thing that gave appreciable experience in the last couple of levels, they'd have groups of guys hunt down games to clear out the chaos sanctuary and find exp shrines to have their the one character doing the leveling come in at the last minute and do the last couple of hits to Diablo outside of a party with the shrine active to get the most exp. Then repeat that again and again.

I'd imagine the effort will be somewhat similar in D3, though much much quicker. Whoever does it will be playing at maximal uptime with outside support though.

Savant on
    edited April 2012
    world first 60

No, you misunderstand. I'm not upset, I'm puzzled.

Max level in D2 was a mild challenge at best since you could just sit in Baal runs all day. But it was still more of a thing since diminishing returns after level 90 or so hit you very hard, and to do it quickly you needed a lot of teamwork/coordination/poopsocking.

But level 60 in D3 is something they want us to do before we even enter Inferno. That is, it's not even remotely end game, and not even remotely a challenge.

Do it in hardcore and I'd be more impressed. Still not that impressed though.

First clear of Inferno is more of something I could get behind. First hardcore clear of Inferno, now you're talking... But this, this I don't get.
    Scosglen wrote: »
    If you are seriously gunning for world first to level 60 you're going to need a lot more than 3 cohorts. Because I guarantee there are other people with the same goal who will field multiple full games of players whose sole purpose will be to do things like funnel the best gear to the "bodyguards" of the boost character and all the best +xp gear to the actual boost, funnel all crafting materials to a dedicated crafter who will do nothing but work to craft a golden road of twink items, or to "prepare" a game so that the boosted character and drop in and immediately get a quest completion chunk of XP, and whatever other "exploits" they can come up with.
    World's first 60 will happen in a matter of hours, I guarantee.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
    Hey guys, what do you think of this monk build? I've posted a few variations of that "ultimate dodge" build, but I think I can make it a lot more viable my relying less on "pure dodge" and expanding upon all of the things the monk's capable of: dodge rating, healing and regeneration, monster damage reduction, etc.

This build runs with two primary spirit generators: Fists of Thunder (with Lightning Flash) and Crippling Wave (with Concussion). The two are meant to be used in conjunction. Ideally, you're maintaining a constant +16% dodge chance from Fists of Thunder, while inflicting a constant 20% damage penalty on enemies you're hitting. This feels like a really solid combo.

Blinding Flash is a staple of all the builds I've been doing. I just think it's great. I'm not going to spend a lot of time explaining why, lol.

Breath of Heaven's another ability that sneaks its way into every build I do. It's fantastic. This is the first build I've ever done where I selected the Infused with Light rune, however. The rune allows you to generate 6 extra spirit from every spirit-generating attack for 5 seconds after using BoH. This allows me to really focus on what I believe will be my primary damaging ability: Cyclone Strike. It pulls in everyone within 24 yards, deals some decent damage, and maybe most importantly, does not have a cooldown. That means I can use it so long as I have the Spirit to do so. That's why I selected the Eye of the Storm rune, which reduces its spirit cost from 50 to 30. I'm pretty sure I can generate 30 spirit in a really short amount of time (especially after using BoH), so I'm certain I can basically spam Cyclone Strike for area damage.

I had been using Mantra of Evasion with Backlash, but I'm liking Mantra of Healing with Time of Need more now, because I love the 20% resistance to all forms of damage buff.

Guardian's Path and the Sixth-Sense return, to maximize dodge potential, and I think I've settled on Resolve for the final Passive, because it debuffs the damage of the enemy I'm attacking by 25%, which synergizes well with Crippling Wave.

Thoughts?

edited April 2012
    Hey guys, what do you think of this monk build? I've posted a few variations of that "ultimate dodge" build, but I think I can make it a lot more viable my relying less on "pure dodge" and expanding upon all of the things the monk's capable of: dodge rating, healing and regeneration, monster damage reduction, etc.

This build runs with two primary spirit generators: Fists of Thunder (with Lightning Flash) and Crippling Wave (with Concussion). The two are meant to be used in conjunction. Ideally, you're maintaining a constant +16% dodge chance from Fists of Thunder, while inflicting a constant 20% damage penalty on enemies you're hitting. This feels like a really solid combo.

Blinding Flash is a staple of all the builds I've been doing. I just think it's great. I'm not going to spend a lot of time explaining why, lol.

Breath of Heaven's another ability that sneaks its way into every build I do. It's fantastic. This is the first build I've ever done where I selected the Infused with Light rune, however. The rune allows you to generate 6 extra spirit from every spirit-generating attack for 5 seconds after using BoH. This allows me to really focus on what I believe will be my primary damaging ability: Cyclone Strike. It pulls in everyone within 24 yards, deals some decent damage, and maybe most importantly, does not have a cooldown. That means I can use it so long as I have the Spirit to do so. That's why I selected the Eye of the Storm rune, which reduces its spirit cost from 50 to 30. I'm pretty sure I can generate 30 spirit in a really short amount of time (especially after using BoH), so I'm certain I can basically spam Cyclone Strike for area damage.

I had been using Mantra of Evasion with Backlash, but I'm liking Mantra of Healing with Time of Need more now, because I love the 20% resistance to all forms of damage buff.

Guardian's Path and the Sixth-Sense return, to maximize dodge potential, and I think I've settled on Resolve for the final Passive, because it debuffs the damage of the enemy I'm attacking by 25%, which synergizes well with Crippling Wave.

Thoughts?
    If you're building a dodge Monk, why not synergise it with Mantra of Evasion and Backlash though? You can get healing and resists from plenty of other places.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
    edited April 2012
    I'm just no longer convinced that it's the best course of action (for me). I love the idea of the pure dodge Monk who uses Backlash to punish enemies who miss him. I mean, I love the shit out of it, but I think I might like this more. The article that was posted earlier changed my mind a little. It explained why actual mitigation (through armor and resistances) is better than dodge. Dodge is great, but it's an all-or-nothing kind of a deal: maybe you dodge and backlash somebody, and maybe you get hit with a fatal blow. That's why I think, just overall, it's a bit better to build some actual damage resistance into the build, rather than to simply rely on "all dodge all the time".

Not to mention the fact that, if you want to keep the temporary dodge bonuses from Dashing and Cyclone Strikes up constantly, you need something absurd like 70+ spirit generation per second.

milk ducks on
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I'm calling this one. The RMAH will be plagued by local Chinese item farmers.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    Savant wrote: »
    World firsts in D2 had teams of people coordinating to get them to work. Back when Diablo himself was the only thing that gave appreciable experience in the last couple of levels, they'd have groups of guys hunt down games to clear out the chaos sanctuary and find exp shrines to have their the one character doing the leveling come in at the last minute and do the last couple of hits to Diablo outside of a party with the shrine active to get the most exp. Then repeat that again and again.

I'd imagine the effort will be somewhat similar in D3, though much much quicker. Whoever does it will be playing at maximal uptime with outside support though.

First to 99 in D2 is a bit different because lots of people were on Act 4 Hell by then, the leveling curve from there to 99 was almost impossible. The first guy to hit 60 in D3 though will be the only player in the level range of his content. Nobody else will even be able to make the games. Now that I think about it there probably won't be anyone outside his game finding loot that he can use, and I wonder if his outleveling his companions will render them more a burden than an asset by Hell difficulty. Of course the really mandatory thing will be playing the character in shifts 24/7, if you're not doing that it will be literally impossible to win the race. That means you also need 3 other characters also played 24/7 as well to keep up.

The D2 race is actually a pretty interesting story: http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Archives:_GerBarb

• Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Why isn't this out yet so I can actually play it instead of reading about it or fucking around with the beta?

No I don't.
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    I'm thinking the first to beat Inferno will be a bigger milestone than 60.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    So, if I'm getting a physical copy of D3, is there still a way to preload the game?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • ZonghuiZonghui Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    You can still preload the client in battle.net beforehand and attach your CD key later.

edit: spelling lol

Zonghui on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Without purchasing the digital version too?

Savant wrote: »

First to 99 in D2 is a bit different because lots of people were on Act 4 Hell by then, the leveling curve from there to 99 was almost impossible. The first guy to hit 60 in D3 though will be the only player in the level range of his content. Nobody else will even be able to make the games. Now that I think about it there probably won't be anyone outside his game finding loot that he can use, and I wonder if his outleveling his companions will render them more a burden than an asset by Hell difficulty. Of course the really mandatory thing will be playing the character in shifts 24/7, if you're not doing that it will be literally impossible to win the race. That means you also need 3 other characters also played 24/7 as well to keep up.

The D2 race is actually a pretty interesting story: http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Archives:_GerBarb

I don't think everyone trying to funnel gear to one guy is viable. He's gonna out level them and at that point they wont even be able to funnel him gear anymore. No, I think it's gonna be skill + time played + luck because of rng.

• ZonghuiZonghui Registered User regular
    I don't know if the link it gives me inside battle.net is account exclusive or what, but feel free to try this, which is the link I got the client from.

This discussion has been closed.