As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] Buttoneering 2012: Events Schedule Updated!

• CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Soooo...I ordered my buttons already. What? I can't help it if the discount code is conveniently there and I have been placing money aside specifically for this reason.

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    Wife and I are going to join this. I just have to find designs that work and don't violate copyright laws :)

• CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Very wise on the copyright violations, but if we actually did that, a good amount of us would be in BIG doodoo throughout the years. Luckily, we don't sell them. So just be smart on what you choose.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2012
    Yeah I don't think we've ever worried about copyright laws for this as long as it's not going on anything that will be sold.

zerzhul on
  • Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    I have no design!!!!!!! There is no time!! What will I do? Ahhhhhh! Seriously though.. Thinking of doing a tiny run of kitty faces. Maybe Odahviing with her tongue out as my primary. Nothing is really grabbing on, but I've loads of time.

Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    Oh, also... If people need assistance making theirs I'd be happy to offer mine.

Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    Aw man... now I have to come up with a design.

• thedragongemthedragongem Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I don't know if I like my avatar enough to make it a button. Maybe I will have to chase the cat around and get a better/different pic.

Edit: Decided to change my avatar anyways so I guess this post was moot. :p

thedragongem on
    badge.png
  • KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    Menolly07 wrote: »
    I'd love your help! If you don't mind too terribly. :)

I'd like either of these done in the 1.5" round. With my forum name curved across the top arc of the button, and "Pax Prime 2012" curved around the bottom arc of the button.
    N7 logo
    Mass Effect, Long service medal

I'm sorry ahead of time, if I'm too annoyingly picky.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Updated the OP with my own content, and got rid of the bits that were copy/pasted to make it seem like I was talking about myself in the third person. :D Let me know if anything is missing, wrong, or needs to be clarified.

In other news, Android app is coming along nicely.

EDIT: Doing some math, I just realized this is our fifth anniversary. That's pretty awesome!

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • CrogothCrogoth Registered User regular
    regarding the template: i'm guessing the inner circle would be the actual face of the button while the area between the circles is what's going to be "wrapped around" or lost?

yeah, that's the "wrap around"

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    thanks for the quick response... now to teach myself photoshop/gimp >_>

ALSO, here's a fun idea:

group of 8 make "gym leader" buttons and to win one you have to beat them in a pokemon match!

haha! great idea!!

lols, I'm leaving the photoshopping to those better suited than I, here on the forums.
    ^_^

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I don't know if I like my avatar enough to make it a button. Maybe I will have to chase the cat around and get a better/different pic.

Edit: Decided to change my avatar anyways so I guess this post was moot. :p

Could be worse, if I made buttons out of my avatar that'd be pretty douchey lol. *remembers what his Triwizard costume is gonna be*

Oh...right...nvm this is the best idea ever!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Menolly07 wrote: »
    I'd love your help! If you don't mind too terribly. :)

I'd like either of these done in the 1.5" round. With my forum name curved across the top arc of the button, and "Pax Prime 2012" curved around the bottom arc of the button.
    N7 logo
    Mass Effect, Long service medal

I'm sorry ahead of time, if I'm too annoyingly picky.

Do you have bigger versions? I think the 1.5 inch rounds are a bit higher resolution than this. The n7 logo is doable, but the long service medal is a bit small.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Crogoth wrote: »
    thanks for the quick response... now to teach myself photoshop/gimp >_>

ALSO, here's a fun idea:

group of 8 make "gym leader" buttons and to win one you have to beat them in a pokemon match!
    that's already a thing at pax :) see the pax pokemon league. Http://paxpokemonleague.net

@Knight_ : Don't worry about the long service medal. I like the N7 better. :)

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    edited April 2012
    Over 9000 hours in GIMP

How does it look?

Crogoth on
    niffty! looks fun. :D

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Over 9000 hours in GIMP

How does it look?

Make sure that the black circles are NOT visible when you submit the artwork. They are there as guides only.

jonxp wrote: »

Make sure that the black circles are NOT visible when you submit the artwork. They are there as guides only.

yeah, i made a spare so that i can post it on the button site, i got the scaling/centering off by a little bit, i kind of taught myself how to do this in about 3 hours >_>

jonxp wrote: »

yeah, i made a spare so that i can post it on the button site, i got the scaling/centering off by a little bit, i kind of taught myself how to do this in about 3 hours >_>

The Buttoneering site actually gives you a bit of a preview of what your artwork will look like on a button. If you leave "Crop Button" selected, and use the exact artwork that you are sending to PureButtons, it will crop it to the "inner" circle automatically, giving you an image of what will be on the non-wrapped front of your button. Feel free to take your time to get it right, we still have plenty of time before PAX.

edited April 2012
    so is our artwork supposed to be inside the dashed circle or reach the outer border of the dashed circle

Crogoth on
    Artwork is to be inside the dashed circle. The bolded outer circle is what you would see if you place it on its side and moved it around. Like you would see folks trademark or copyright or website along that area.

• LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Buttons round 5! I'll be in as usual

AN9buWz.png
  • [H]guy_vensari[H]guy_vensari Registered User new member
    Really excited for this.

so is our artwork supposed to be inside the dashed circle or reach the outer border of the dashed circle

The new templates are much better than my old GIMP template. Take a look at them on the PureButtons site. They give more details now on exactly what will be where on your button, and make it more obvious that you should replace your artwork with theirs, not just use it as an overlay.

edited April 2012
    TO GIMP!

edit: seems as though gimp does not like their .psd filetype. something about unsupported color mode: CMYK

Crogoth on
    Yeah, GIMP doesn't support CMYK yet for some reason. Just use the JPG version as a layer, and make it semi-transparent to see where everything lays out, and then delete it when you're happy.

Gahhh sorry I'm taking so long. Been a busy weekend. I'll have time to do it tomorrow night though I think.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Knight_ wrote: »

Gahhh sorry I'm taking so long. Been a busy weekend. I'll have time to do it tomorrow night though I think.
    No worries! There's plenty of time. :)

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Can someone post a couple of pictures of actual 1.5" buttons from last year? I want to see how much of the detail actually shows up at 1.5".

badge.png
  • ThatGuyGregThatGuyGreg [E] - Satellite Theater Registered User regular
    I've gotta jump on for this for my first Prime... now to get to enthinkinating.

I00SuxJ.png
  • MaetrixMaetrix Registered User regular
    w00t! I had such a blast last year.. will be getting my design ready soon this year....

Blog | Twitter | Raptr | BUTTONEER!
    PAX2011 STATUS:"WAS MONDO AWESOME!"
    PAX2012 STATUS:"Is it too soon yet?!"
    Can someone post a couple of pictures of actual 1.5" buttons from last year? I want to see how much of the detail actually shows up at 1.5".

I *know* I have a shot of mine floating around on one of my webservers, but I can't find it. I'll take one when I get home.

• OptimusbryOptimusbry Event Designer Long Beach CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    DONE!
    panda_button.jpg

And special rare chase button!

guinnessman_button.jpg

Optimusbry on
    Nintendo ID: Optimusbry :: Xbox Live: Optimus Bry :: PSN: Optimusbry :: Steam ID: Optimus Bry

These were my 2 buttons from last year
    6034219232_c4fdb734c6_b.jpg
    6034221980_2c85c76a1b_b.jpg

They're pretty well detailed, the 1.5" round I made for east had really small bits that you could still see easy.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Thanks that was exactly what I was looking for.

badge.png
    Knight_ wrote: »

No worries! There's plenty of time. :)
    rFvoh.jpg
    The PSD you should upload to purebuttons is here. I'm not sure why it went to crazytown in the dropbox preview, but the PSD still looks correct. I assume it's CMYK blowing up their preview, since it seems to be missing the K values. Very odd.

aeNqQM9.jpg
This discussion has been closed.