As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PROTOTYPE2]: Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold - Old Klingon Proverb

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    if i am going a long distance and run out of glide/dash, i use the B button pounce. it's hard to cancel out of, but it gives you another jump when you should hit the ground.

EDIT: also, i did the "A" dodge over enemies, but did it AWAY from an evolved? and then after i landed i still got the Y prompt to do the grab-kick move.

Local H Jay on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    You can also use claw lunge. Doing it when not locked on will shoot you forward horizontally. B button pounce is grab yeah? It's pretty useful in general combat too. Like if you want to get to somebody a fair distance away when you are in mid air you can dash towards him a few times, then either claw lunge glide cancel grab to get your mits on him or grab glide cancel claw lunge to end him.
    I adore claw lunging helicopters. It feels so good. Claw lunge is so versatile it's one of my most used moves. You can stay in the air and lunge bosses for hit and away in complete safety, take chunks off helicopters or just use it to get close enough to enemies to cancel into other moves. It shoots you across the battlefield so well.

The evolved move that you get the prompt for dodging doesn't need to be dodged by going over them. It just needs to be dodged at all. I've dodged it via jumping and gotten the prompt.

I usually fight evolved by staying above them constantly and doing air to ground moves like claw lunge, hammerfist dive or whip longshot. Soon as it hits I'm back in the air (hold sprint and double tap jump soon as you recover). They have absolutely no chance at all to hit me ever even in their wildest dreams as long as you don't try to hit them after they are down. They come up from a knockdown with a counterattack flip.
    They might evade you a few times but it really doesn't matter because you will recover well before they can attack.

I used to stay on the ground and fight them there but on insane this is an unnecessary risk because they never let up.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Stuff
    Pretty standard modern action game stuff really. Most cinematic shit is i-framed to hell and back allowing for hilarious abuse and ground/air dodging should be used liberally if you aren't sure you're about to get whalloped by something off screen.

Makes me realize why "hardcore" action games like DMC and Bayonetta tend to avoid cinematic stuff like the plague. Guys like me tend to abuse it way too hard and it makes the game kinda easy. :( I'm honestly kinda unsure if I'll do an insane run of this game. I might just go back to chewing my way through Devil May Cry 3 HD (gotta get to DMD mode damnit!).

wWuzwvJ.png
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    yalborap wrote: »
    Hey, anyone know of a good area to get the Grenade Artist challenge? Problem I'm having right now is finding a consistent spawning point for the thing where it's dense with enemies.

There's a park in the Green Zone (the one where there's the armor-driving tutorial) that's perfect for it.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Stuff
    Pretty standard modern action game stuff really. Most cinematic shit is i-framed to hell and back allowing for hilarious abuse and ground/air dodging should be used liberally if you aren't sure you're about to get whalloped by something off screen.

Makes me realize why "hardcore" action games like DMC and Bayonetta tend to avoid cinematic stuff like the plague. Guys like me tend to abuse it way too hard and it makes the game kinda easy. :( I'm honestly kinda unsure if I'll do an insane run of this game. I might just go back to chewing my way through Devil May Cry 3 HD (gotta get to DMD mode damnit!).

I'm still playing with it just for fun but I reckon the novelty will wear off within a week or so and I'll get bored unless I find something truly amazing. The last game just moving around in combat was so rewarding and satisfying I didn't care that the combat was pretty simple. It felt good just to be able to move well.
    It's really easy now so that motivation to replay is gone. Before I started insane I was getting almost depressingly bored on normal, insane perked me up a lot. I'll probably just leave the game on insane from now on.
    I would give insane a go it's worth a second playthrough at least. It's cool to see what the enemies do when let off their leash. They really go for your throat.

Once I finish up the last of these insane blacknet sidemissions I'll probably bench the game in between radnet updates and go back to other things.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    I'll give insane a whirl and see how it goes. Like you said, having the engine figured out is kinda making normal's combat a little too easy. It's still fun but there's definitely 0 challenge to it. Thankfully this game's storyline is legit interesting so there's always that to keep me hooked on the normal mode play through.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Even starting on Hard is pretty easy, they kinda dropped the difficulty a bit too far down in my opinion, trying Insanity at the moment, still easy.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    i started on hard, and the only hard parts so far have been from the camera being awful indoors or when you get cornered up against some buildings or whatever. the first hydra fight comes to mind as being pretty egregious. even those bits were more annoying than actually hard.

anyway, this game is pretty fun i dunno. its not setting the world on fire with awesomeness, but its solid.

• KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    And I'm done!

Definitely a fun game. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that I preferred it over the first game. About the only problems with it were movement based. I don't like the slow wall-running in particular. In the first game I was always on the walls. They were basically like vertical roads. In the second game... not so much. I rarely found myself wall-running. I was either running along the ground or - more likely - gliding to get where I wanted to go. I also missed the ability to slide down walls to slow yourself.

The other problem I had was Heller. I just didn't like him as a character. I didn't care a damn about him until right near the end game. It probably didn't help that every other word out of his mouth was a swear word. Sometimes it was funny, but for the most part, I never got the sense that his swearing had any other than purpose than to get as many swear words in as possible which made it jarring to me.

Other than those small gripes however, the game was great. I liked being able to dodge attacks without ending up a hundred meters away from my opponent. I liked being able to block attacks. I liked all the powers I got to play with... although I didn't use Bio-bomb nearly enough. And I liked the way Heller got upgraded, both in levelling up and actually having to do stuff to get mutations. Far more rewarding than farming infected water towers and buying stuff from a menu.

All in all, it was worth waiting for. I just cleared off a hard difficulty run to get 1000/1000 on it and now I'm entertaining the notion of having another run-through on Insane difficulty, though I'll probably hold off on that for a while and play something else first.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Indeed. I just beat it last night finally and while overall I think I enjoyed it more than the first one, as a game, I don't think it will garner nearly as much replay time because of all the little things that are missing. Sliding down walls like Kitsuna said, being able to grab walls and climb slowly as I've mentioned before, no shield or armor to plow through peds and traffic with, and just a few other random things like that really detract from the directionless fun I think I'll be able to have now that I've finished almost everything.

The city is so awesome and well-rendered though, I really want to continue to enjoy it for as long as possible, but I dunno how long I'll last. So much of my post-game fun in the original was just smashing cars and people into the air while sprinting around, occasionally opening the powers menu to enter slow-motion briefly to admire the carnage....and, related to that, picking up cars and full speed and throwing them ahead so I could parkour over the exploding, air-borne remnants....so cool.....but not really possible in this one. At least not as easily.

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    What really bothers me in Prototype 2 is how much they beat you over the head with how evil Blackwatch is over and over

"The food is contaminated!" "So?" "Civilians will die!" "I don't give a fuck."

"I was just gonna show the video to my wife, no one else!" "I'll make sure of that." *BLAM-BLAM-BLAM*

*BLAM-BLAM-BLAM* "Sir! That was a child!" "So, he came from the infected zone, not taking any chances."

"I just have to go in there to save some puppies!" "Stand back, that's off limits." "But my pup-" *BLAM-BLAM-BLAM*

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    ha yea, they really went out of their way to make blackwatch just over the top evil at every possible moment. the one black box about them shooting that autistic kid was pretty groan worthy.

anyway, i finished the game up. the last boss really showed the shortcomings of the combat system, i thought. overall it was fun though. doing an insanity NG+ to finish out the evolution levels or whatever. insanity seems pretty trivial on NG+, but hard was quite easy too.

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    All the stuff you guys want is coming in RADNET. The volume of shit they will unlock is staggering. I don't get their model because it came with all the games, but they undersold themselves.

Just have to play the waiting game.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
    radnet seems like a cool idea but really i'd just like access to all of it at once, not this staggered release stuff

i am sad that you have to do everything to unlock mercer but i'll probably end up doing it, because i am actually good at this one and was pretty bad at the first one (i didn't even finish most challenges). it would be cool if they added other costumes, maybe spiderman since activision has rights to him.

• hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    I wonder if the rights to Carnage comes with that? Because that would actually fit perfectly.

I wonder if the rights to Carnage comes with that? Because that would actually fit perfectly.

as long as carnage shows up in a movie or TV show, (which he likely has) yes. another cool skin would be super-skrull or wolverine.

edited April 2012
    Endgame spoilers
    I never understood why Heller hesitated about killing Colonel Rooks the NYZ CIC, because the guy had a daughter?
    Newsflash, a ton of the dudes you've killed so far also had families, and Rooks has tons of innocents lives on his conscience.

Especially since Heller goes on a murderous rampage just to kill that Rottweiler dude who cracked a joke about Hellers mom and called Dana a pastry or something... What.

Sirialis on
    edited April 2012
    All the stuff you guys want is coming in RADNET. The volume of shit they will unlock is staggering. I don't get their model because it came with all the games, but they undersold themselves.

We don't really know what new abilities we are getting in radnet though do we? Other than a couple of colossal mayhem's DLC items being featured in the top 11 trailer we don't know what else is going to be in there. The actual mutations you get from finishing the challenges look nice but not gamechangingly impressive, the Mercer skin is just going to be Heller in a Mercer suit and there are no actual movement changes being advertised other than the flight height boost mutation.
    I'm hoping it will be great, but you seem to be taking it as a given, which is not something I'm willing to do yet.

The description for the Mercer Bullet Dive in game describes it as one of the most destructive abilities ever. It's easily one of the shittiest and just looks flashy. So the little blurbs on forthcoming content really need to be taken with a grain of salt.

I will say one thing. I did enjoy how tight the diving challenge was. You had to be on point and you had to have a careful think about what you were doing, as well as think strategically about which round you wanted to bother being perfect and which one you were happy with using all your dives to make sure you get them all. If the rest are like that I'll be pretty absorbed in them once they're all unlocked.
    I also enjoy the movement challenges but I always like those.

Morninglord on
    edited April 2012
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Endgame spoilers
    I never understood why Heller hesitated about killing Colonel Rooks the NYZ CIC, because the guy had a daughter?
    Newsflash, a ton of the dudes you've killed so far also had families, and Rooks has tons of innocents lives on his conscience.

Especially since Heller goes on a murderous rampage just to kill that Rottweiler dude who cracked a joke about Hellers mom and called Dana a pastry or something... What.
    man yea, that was really really stupid. but it followed a long line of stupid things, namely all the rest of the plot, so by that time i was pretty over caring about whatever stupid things heller was saying or doing.

also its annoying to me that the xp bonuses dont ramp up in NG+ or on insanity, so its going to take basically playing the entire game again to get these last 3 evolution levels.

Ah_Pook on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Heller can be over the top profane, but sometimes it's pretty great

*hears a bunch of military lingo* "Sounds like soldier talk for a monster killing a shit ton of people. I better get over there."

or there was one something like, "Ben Walters, head of virus research and development, and captain of the Gentek bowling team. Fucking congratulations."

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    edited April 2012
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Endgame spoilers

man yea, that was really really stupid. but it followed a long line of stupid things, namely all the rest of the plot, so by that time i was pretty over caring about whatever stupid things heller was saying or doing.

also its annoying to me that the xp bonuses dont ramp up in NG+ or on insanity, so its going to take basically playing the entire game again to get these last 3 evolution levels.
    It'll take as long as 2 or 3 missions into the Red Zone... I did it yesterday.

And I did every mission, quest, collectable on my first run.

Why do we even get exp from enemies? I dont get it, when the last mission I did gave me 64500 exp, how is 3 from a marine or 5 from a Blackwatch dude (15 if stealth kill) going to matter at all?

EDIT: I feel like I'm only complaining, but I very much enjoyed the game (was a godsend when I was home with the flu), I just cant help but find more minor flaws as I think about the game.

Sirialis on

We don't really know what new abilities we are getting in radnet though do we? Other than a couple of colossal mayhem's DLC items being featured in the top 11 trailer we don't know what else is going to be in there. The actual mutations you get from finishing the challenges look nice but not gamechangingly impressive, the Mercer skin is just going to be Heller in a Mercer suit and there are no actual movement changes being advertised other than the flight height boost mutation.
    I'm hoping it will be great, but you seem to be taking it as a given, which is not something I'm willing to do yet.

The description for the Mercer Bullet Dive in game describes it as one of the most destructive abilities ever. It's easily one of the shittiest and just looks flashy. So the little blurbs on forthcoming content really need to be taken with a grain of salt.

I will say one thing. I did enjoy how tight the diving challenge was. You had to be on point and you had to have a careful think about what you were doing, as well as think strategically about which round you wanted to bother being perfect and which one you were happy with using all your dives to make sure you get them all. If the rest are like that I'll be pretty absorbed in them once they're all unlocked.

RADNET is on the disc.

edited April 2012

RADNET is on the disc.

This does not answer or counter any of my points.

Morninglord on
    edited April 2012
    just beat it
    liked the final fight, but it made mercer seem super weak. i was juggling him like no problem.

Local H Jay on
  • SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular

RADNET is on the disc.

Right, its on the disc, but its not unlocked yet. Is there someplace to see exactly how the new abilities work? I find it hard to believe there would be the type of changes to the movement system that people here would like to see. If they made the Mercer skin actually play like Mercer, though, that'd be something.

edited April 2012
    SO!

Jump-dash is now

Jump-glide-dash. Where you cancel the jumping arc with glide and then cancel that glide with a dash without seeing any or almost no glide animation at all. you must release the sprint trigger during the dash or you will lose the momentum you gain until you either dash cancel that new glide or simply hit the ground again while holding sprint. You will lose whatever arc you were trying to achieve as well (it'll be a flat horizontal dash if you cancel it and if you don't you'll rise in the air before losing altitude).

Lets look at long jump (visual indicator is red trails coming off heller as he leaps, can be any length at all)

Long jump starts out with fast vertical acceleration, slows down, levels out and starts coming down. After the vertical acceleration slows the horizontal acceleration gets faster and you end up hitting the ground moving at a decent clip.

What we want to do is glide-dash at the point of the arc we want to extend and rapidly accelerate. This works going up, horizontally and going down.

How to jump glide dash:

1). Hold sprint. Press x. Let go of sprint.
    2). At the point where the jumping acceleration starts to slow down, tap sprint and then dash as close together as you can without pressing dash first or at the same time. Tap sprint. Do not hold it down! Think of it like the sprint button is shoot in a fps and you are trying to fire one bullet.
    3). Note that your previous acceleration is now boosted immensely. You jump a decent amount higher, travel further faster and are moving through the air super fast.
    4). When you come to land, dash into the ground and repress sprint as Heller impacts on the ground. You must be dashing into the ground or he will simply land like a crater.

Grats, you just travelled half a city block in less than a second.

The glide cancel works at various points in the jump, you just need to make sure you do not get a glide after the dash. It's pretty involving but you shoot around like lightning.
    If you glide dash to go up, glide dash to travel forwards then glide dash into the ground you will feel like you've just entered some kind of matrix hyper reality speed and probably wont be able to properly react to what you just passed. At least that's what happens when I do it.

Why would you want to do this? Because it's really fun! ZOOM! Also doing a glide cancel at any point will let you hit the ground running after you dash into it.

Not really necessary in combat but if you want to do it with the short hopping one you have to do it all super fast together. It takes greater precision and nigh on perfect timing to not accidentally hold sprint and glide instead. But that's okay, because you want the auto glide when fighting things most of the time.

Morninglord on
    took about 4 hours of grinding through NG+ story missions and skipping cutscenes to max out the evolution levels, in case anyone wants an estimate i guess. ended up a couple missions into the red zone.

I'd like to add that the Red Zone is the best version of post-apocalyptic Manhattan I've ever had the pleasure of killing dudes in. I don't know what it is, but the sense of scale you get is ridiculous. Maybe its a result of the first two areas not having any real sky scrapers, or maybe its the severe fogging. Buildings seem to go on forever. I'm reminded of the scenes from Inception of Limbo.

Slortex wrote: »
    I'd like to add that the Red Zone is the best version of post-apocalyptic Manhattan I've ever had the pleasure of killing dudes in. I don't know what it is, but the sense of scale you get is ridiculous. Maybe its a result of the first two areas not having any real sky scrapers, or maybe its the severe fogging. Buildings seem to go on forever. I'm reminded of the scenes from Inception of Limbo.
    i also just love how messed up it is, it reminds me of the movie cloverfield. buildings falling into one another, tentacles pulling apart the city, it all looks great. definitely my favorite area.

RADNET is on the disc.

This does not answer or counter any of my points.

Then just sit tight and wait.

I didn't know Radnet was a thing and hucked the box the game came in like I usually do. :3

Oh well, I'll be busy with DMC3 anyway.

wWuzwvJ.png
    Slortex wrote: »
    i also just love how messed up it is, it reminds me of the movie cloverfield. buildings falling into one another, tentacles pulling apart the city, it all looks great. definitely my favorite area.

Haven't seen Cloverfield, but I definitely love the state of the destruction. First time I saw a building toppled over I was pretty impressed. Great environment.

I didn't know Radnet was a thing and hucked the box the game came in like I usually do. :3

Teach yourself royal guard!

I'm about 80% competent and it took me months. So rewarding and satisfying, I can't play any other style now.

edited April 2012

Teach yourself royal guard!

I'm about 80% competent and it took me months. So rewarding and satisfying, I can't play any other style now.

I've been playing DMC long enough where it's more about just getting back in the rhythm of Royal Guard. I used to do the boss fight level (17?) with RG regularly to keep myself in practice but I haven't played DMC 3 in ages due to other games getting in the way so I am el super crappo rusty. I was about to clear normal in DMC HD, then god damn Skullgirls and Prototype 2 came out. D: I really need to just lock myself in a closet somewhere and not come out until I have a 100% save for the 360 version.

Having said that, Trickster will always be my one true love. Wall running and teleport abuse just never gets old.

Anyhoo, having beaten Prototype 2, I did think it was kind of clever how the final boss fight:
    Despite being a glorified quick time fight when you step back and look at it, never quite feels like one. Great voice acting from Heller's VA in that ending too.

I do wish the collectibles were done differently. The lairs were fine, the blackboxes were dumb, and the field ops were a missed opportunity. Those should have been progressively harder patrols that you had to find and knock out instead of just a handle full of schmucks that could be all killed with no effort. I'm not even sure what the blackboxes could be replaced with. Maybe instead of just a thing you pick up, make the corpse explode with some sort of unique monster that is basically a sub-boss strength badass? I dunno.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited April 2012
    On my insane run through field ops are more or less something I do a single elbow drop onto then bounce away into the night. It's almost hilarious how they don't even break your stride.

I don't bother picking up the black boxes a second time unless I happen to accidentally land right next to one for some reason. Might as well right?

This new glide dash cancel movement thing is incredibly rewarding. I'm starting to feel like I did playing Mercer again, only it takes more concentration and effort so I have to always be thinking ahead. The whole city becomes a blur flying by. I literally, as in this is a thing that happens, will flash straight through a base, get an alert, and only notice it as an afterthought because by the time any of the enemies react I'm already two or three blocks away.
    Heller is starting to feel significantly faster than Mercer. Still can't make him jump as high but I'll take mind bending speed over that anyday. I also sort of like that this is possible but is an optional thing. Sort of like how you don't need to do ridiculous never ending constantly changing mid air combos in DMC games to beat them.

The only thing that truly spoils this feeling is accidentally wall running on something. :/ That change is so fucking dumb.

Morninglord on
  • TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    We put up a review of the game on the website in my sig.

I agree with Radnet being a pain the way it unlocks things over time. I can see they don't want people trading the game in but instead it's just made me lose interest completely since I've already finished it. Not much point getting new abilities once the game's over!

On my insane run through field ops are more or less something I do a single elbow drop onto then bounce away into the night. It's almost hilarious how they don't even break your stride.
    Hahah, that's exactly how I started dealing with them once I got the hammer fist.

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited April 2012
    I was wrong about bio bomb butt kicker. I don't know what hit me and made an explosion that Heller ignored before, but when I tried to do it against brawlers I got hit out of it and I've gotten smacked out of it by a rocket too just now. However if you do get hit out the bomb still goes off. :)

Morninglord on
    having fun getting the achievements for this, i got 28 people in one divebomb! also, those transport trucks full of people? try doing a charged kick on the soldiers in back :P

a few questions for NG+
    how do i start it? what carries over? is it just collectibles, not powers?

hrm... i beat it but for some reason i don't see a new game+ option anywhere...