As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EVE] - A Game of Megathrons

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The new Linkin Park song comes to mind.

Build it up to burn it down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgEKLhvCCVA

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    Someone was getting ready for Hulkageddon. Shame he had to move all those veldspar mining crystals at the same time, or he could have used a covops and not died.

That kill mail can't be right, there was a pilot from Merch Industrial on the list of people that did damage.

steam_sig.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Huh. Fancy that.

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Baidol wrote: »
    Someone was getting ready for Hulkageddon. Shame he had to move all those veldspar mining crystals at the same time, or he could have used a covops and not died.

That kill mail can't be right, there was a pilot from Merch Industrial on the list of people that did damage.

Our Euro contingent is running strong.

Also, in case people had not figured it out yet, all those blueprints were bpc's.

Still hilarious.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    That is one heck of a loss right there. I can't even imagine losing that much stuff in game.

Not at all related to the Jita thing, but we also conned a dude out of this the other day:
    KEYVi.jpg

Not Shown: 2 carriers and 1b isk.

Okay, I'm intrigued as to how you did it.
    Got access to his corp bank?

steam_sig.png
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Recruitment scam.

He literally handed over everything he owned of his own free will.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    Well, most of them were copies.

• EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    That is one heck of a loss right there. I can't even imagine losing that much stuff in game.

Not at all related to the Jita thing, but we also conned a dude out of this the other day:
    KEYVi.jpg

Not Shown: 2 carriers and 1b isk.

Okay, I'm intrigued as to how you did it.
    Got access to his corp bank?

Yup, as Baidol said, recruitment scams. In all of those cases, I told them that MRCHI had whatever they wanted and then asked them to give me all of their belongings so I could safely move them to our space. It isn't much more complicated than that, though it varies a bit from person to person.

Ellthiteren on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    It's kind of rare to find some one still unaware of the recruitment scam these days. Especially some one who has to be a member of the old guard of eve players.

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    I fucking love scamming people like that, carebears who want the excitement of 0.0 or something, literally hand everything they own over to some random guy, god knows i've made over a billion isk with scamming, I can only do it when I'm feeling particularily heartless though

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    oh look, someone lost another jump freighter.

Sokpuppet on
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So finally caved and made a trial account; every time I hear anything about Eve it's some kind of giant epic game stopping event. It took about... 3 hours before I met my first scammer? I have no idea how anyone falls for it either, although polite the guy was pretty obvious. Hey we'll give you all kids of free stuff because we're super totally rich and PLEX and free and did I mention free stuff you only have to give us all you have once to prove your loyalty... Mmm hmm.

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
    Some people oversell it; they're the ones who are usually whining on jabber that they never scam successfully. The best targets are the ones who have no idea how contracts work, or who are just waaay too trusting. In any event, get in MRCHI asap and you will actually have free things thrown at you.

edited April 2012
    There's a Nyx in Jita. o_0

Sokpuppet on
    edited April 2012
    How?

Edit: Alt reply; And it's not dead yet?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    Dunno the details. Supposedly it got trapped there some time ago due to some kind of rules change.
    Goons apparently put out a call for 1000 tornados to pop it, but now people are saying a GM moved it out to lowsec.

• LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    I thought all the Supers in HighSec at the time of the rules change were grandfathered in, on the condition that they were never used as supers.

See Chriba's Veldnaught as an example.

• GassernormGassernorm Registered User regular
    I signed up for a three months of game time. Still working on skills, and doing NPC missions so I kinda know wtf I'm doing. Lost two Tristans, and one Incursus doing that. managed to rat hole 5mil isk. I want to travel to Jita and watch the action, Can I take a piss ant shuttle and watch? Or will I just be shot down as soon as I get there?

• B_RB_R Registered User regular
    This game sure has alot of menus.

• GassernormGassernorm Registered User regular
    B_R wrote: »
    This game sure has alot of menus.

Tell me about it.

Lochiel wrote: »
    I thought all the Supers in HighSec at the time of the rules change were grandfathered in, on the condition that they were never used as supers.

See Chriba's Veldnaught as an example.

I speculate that baiting the jita burn crowd into trying to blow you up and incur concord wrath might count as using it as a supercap in a GM's mind.

Can Supers go into Low Sec, or are they restricted to Null? I have no real interest in piloting one so I really don't have much of a clue what their restrictions are besides not being able to use the standard gates from system to system.

steam_sig.png
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    Can Supers go into Low Sec, or are they restricted to Null? I have no real interest in piloting one so I really don't have much of a clue what their restrictions are besides not being able to use the standard gates from system to system.

When I was in SMASH, we caught a guy trying to use a gate with his Moros. Sometimes people who buy accounts provide the most amusing killmails.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    So I like the way this guy thinks.
    Enjoyed the Jita burning so far sponsored by Goonswarm. Decided to set a bunch of courier contracts with high collateral to and from Jita and play "which freighter/hauler that got suicide ganked was the one carrying my empty boxes" game. Easiest money I've ever made and the people that actually completed them got more than the standard rate for their trouble.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Resubbed. Forgot how well built this character was for doing a variety of activities in Empire. I'm actually having fun. Mostly because I didn't fall into the trap of playing this like WoW and grinding missions. Been doing a bit of exploration, though I have no idea how to work it, been playing the market, some salvaging and mining here and there, set up a colony, and I even decided to liaise through a few suckers lackies to help get some muscle for a few odd profitable jobs.

Also, holy shit. Just hit the motherload in Empire space. Decided to go semi-AFK while my (cheap, expendable) freighter mined up a load of cheap ore in .9 sec. I marked out a nice place to do this at that gave me about a million credits per load. In fact, spent all last night gearing up with new skills and buying fancy fittings for my Vexor by doing this.

This time, when I warp in to mine myself some ore what do I see? About 50 CONCORD ships hovering around the asteroid belt in a ball of criminal doom. Cue panic mode.

After I scoped out the situation, however, I discovered that the fight had already ended. And that appears to have been what it was. I have no clue what exactly happened. But it looks like two corps decided to gank each other, or some sort of huge battle broke out in this dinky little asteroid belt that even the crappiest miners don't go too. Then, someone fired off the wrong bit of munitions and CONCORD apparently took a "kill'em all, God will sort them out" approach to the fight.

Cue about 20-30 wrecks of various destroyers. All blue. All full of mid to high end gear for their level of ship. And me, in a freighter, just sitting there a few kilometers away. I'm not sure how blue wrecks work, but I assume that the people fighting were going to come back for the oodles of loot they had and marked them appropriately. In the mean-time, it was completely unguarded, I was in a highly expendable freighter that I didn't mind losing, and I had the advantage of empire security rights on my side.

Clearly, I knew what I had to do. First, I looted the wrecks. Then, I went to get my Vexor, and pillaged the shit out of the place with my salvaging setup while CONCORD kept a healthy eye on me.

Some guy from the corp warped in in a freighter as I salvaged the last ship and sent me some amazingly dirty tells.

Looking at this, I stand to make about 10-50 mil off of all of this stuff. I need to tally it up to see what it's fully worth. However, I have like 10 lines worth of medium tier guns alone in a large cargo window sitting in my freighter (Which is docked for the moment.) right now. That's before you get into the warp scramblers, the navy ammo, the high end torpedoes, and all the defensive gear I looted.

Was tempted to go after the two cargo pods sitting in the middle of the wreckage field too, but they were yellow so I held off on it.

Edit: Did they do an Aurum giveaway at some point? I had 2K of it on one character for some reason.

Archonex on
    You probably witnessed Hulkageddon in action - a bunch of people, probably using Catalysts, suicide ganked a bunch of other people, probably flying Hulks.

edited April 2012
    You probably witnessed Hulkageddon in action - a bunch of people, probably using Catalysts, suicide ganked a bunch of other people, probably flying Hulks.

Was under the impression that Hulkageddon hadn't started yet. They change the date on it?

Also, most of the ships were Minmatar in design. They never struck me as the best ganking ship. Especially given their overall price in the area of space i'm at.

Archonex on
    edited April 2012
    It started on the 29th of April, EVE time, so I think it's been going for almost a day now. If not Catalysts, they were probably Thrashers or Tornadoes. Or wrecked mining ships, which kinda look like Minmatar ships. Minmatar ships have the best alpha in the game, generally, when using artillery. Gallente ships tend to have the best dps over a couple seconds, if you're within blaster range. So for systems where you only get one shot off, people suicide in Thrashers/Tornadoes. For systems where you'll get a couple shots off, Catalysts!

Ellthiteren on
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    It started on the 29th of April, EVE time, so I think it's been going for almost a day now. If not Catalysts, they were probably Thrashers or Tornadoes. Or wrecked mining ships, which kinda look like Minmatar ships.
    Wrecks in general look like Minnie ships.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I just wanna say, in regards to the whole training individual shield comps discussion, there is an argument for training EM comp if you fly the Drake a lot, because the Drake uses an EM Amplifier.

• Bloody JackBloody Jack Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Wrecks in general look like Minnie ships.

And vice-versa :P

• LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I just wanna say, in regards to the whole training individual shield comps discussion, there is an argument for training EM comp if you fly the Drake a lot, because the Drake uses an EM Amplifier.

Why would you use a passive module? It's a drake; you've got Cap out the back end.

(I ask b/c I've never flown a drake)

Lochiel on
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Lochiel wrote: »

Why would you use a passive module? It's a drake; you've got Cap out the back end.

(I ask b/c I've never flown a drake)

The reimbursement MWD Drake has an EM Amplifier fitted, for fitting purposes.

There are advantages to being completely immune to being cap drained and still able to fight. I'm not saying it's something you would do on a regular basis, but in the right circumstance it can come in handy.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    Some of these agent missions are completely bullshit. I just ran into one that was pretty much designed to be a money sink and make you lose your ship if you weren't running at over-geared rates. Thankfully, I was using the mission as a low level test for a cruiser design I had come up with. So I managed to do it in a decent amount of time. Didn't stand to make much money off of it though.

Just to sum off a few of the bullshit things it had:

It was an ambush mission that places ten long range 425mm railgun sentry turrets around you, all of which that can apparently hit with perfect accuracy from 50KM away despite running an afterburner. Also, obviously, they're far out of range of any conventional weaponry at that tier since there's two stasis towers constantly webifying you so that you can't get to said turrets. Nevermind well over a dozen destroyer class Amarr and Caldari ships that come in waves each as the turrets slowly rape you to death.

Oh, and on top of that all the mobs are placed at least 25-40 KM apart, so good fucking luck killing them in one go. Or salvaging that mess at a timely rate.

Thank god I could just warp out and heal up. And that I had the foresight to send my drones to blow up one of the stasis towers ahead of time.

The reward for it was pathetic, too. 70K for completion. 90K bonus. And the salvage and loot sucked. Was expecting something a bit more low investment for that level of annoyance.

Archonex on
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Archonex wrote: »
    Some of these agent missions are completely bullshit. I just ran into one that was pretty much designed to be a money sink and make you lose your ship if you weren't running at over-geared rates. Thankfully, I was using the mission as a low level test for a cruiser design I had come up with. So I managed to do it in a decent amount of time. Didn't stand to make much money off of it though.

It was an ambush mission that places ten long range 425mm railgun sentry turrets around you, all of which that can apparently hit with perfect accuracy from 50KM away despite running an afterburner. Also, obviously, they're far out of range of any conventional weaponry at that tier since there's two stasis towers constantly webifying you so that you can't get to said turrets. Nevermind well over a dozen destroyer class Amarr and Caldari ships that come in waves each as the turrets slowly rape you to death.

Oh, and on top of that all the mobs are placed at least 25-40 KM apart, so good fucking luck killing them in one go. Or salvaging that mess at a timely rate.

Thank god I could just warp out and heal up. And that I had the foresight to send my drones to blow up one of the stasis towers ahead of time.

The reward for it was pathetic, too. 70K for completion. 90K bonus. And the salvage and loot sucked. Was expecting something a bit more low investment for that level of annoyance.

Not all missions require you to kill everything. Quite a few don't require you to kill anything, even though there are rats there.

BTW "425mm rails" will be more accurate the further away from them you are.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    doublepost

V1m on
    edited April 2012

Meh.
    Go try doing some Sleeper sites.

also, once upon a time I fit a Coercer with a 112km optimal. When convention fails...

Sokpuppet on
    edited April 2012
    V1m wrote: »

Not all missions require you to kill everything. Quite a few don't require you to kill anything, even though there are rats there.

BTW "425mm rails" will be more accurate the further away from them you are.

Yeah, I know that. The problem was the spacing of the mission was such that you had to literally cross about 30-60 KM of space to get from objective to objective. While stasis'd and under fire from a gajillion 425MM guns that were very far away. Which were all placed so that they could fuck you unless you spent 45 minutes slowly tracking them all down.

Thank god I decided to fit an afterburner for that mission. Otherwise I might have lost it.

Either way, I need to find a better money-making scheme for my effort when using my drone tank Vexor.

Archonex on
  • Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    One of the few nice things about 0.0 anomaly running is that there's not really much to do besides shoot the rats and watch local. I guess CCP thought this one out; empire dwellers get to do "fun" complicated shenanigans in their missions while the attentive activity you have to do while running anomalies (less so for complexes but vOv) is watch local/intel for hostiles.

This discussion has been closed.