As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Internet Speed Bottlenecked

Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
There were some really bad storms a few days ago, and the Internet went down for a total of about 6 hours according to my family. I noticed that it was constantly going down and coming back up every few minutes. Sometimes it would only be down for a moment, others it would be down for minutes, and other times it would be down for hours. Obviously something was happening maintenance-related at the other end.

Ever since then, however, my speed has gone from this:

153286121.png (conducted helping another user out on the same forums.. I feel like a hypocrite)

to this:

153945551.png

No one in my house claims to be downloading anything, but I can't play Counter-Strike: Source or Battlefield 2 anymore because of the speed difference. Servers once 30-40ms are now 200+ms. Same with other online games.

What could have caused this? I don't want to go snooping around my house seeing if people are downloading things, but it seems to be the only logical conclusion. The Internet is never this slow.

I've reset the modem and all routers. I'm using a Linksys Wireless-G WRT54GS and I'm on Earthlink DSL.

Black Ice on

• FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's your uploading that's gone down a lot. Check if they are using a Bittorrent client/ p2p network and have set it to unlimited uploading and that's just going out of control with uploading a crapload of files onto the network

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It sounds to me like it's not on your end. You say it went to shit after it came back from a 6 hour outage? I'm guessing that the phone company did a fix to get the lines back up quickly that is affecting your speed. I imagine that the phone company's goal was to get voice service restored, so they may have put stuff back together in a way that is causing interference with your DSL. I used to do DSL tech support (for AOL though, so keep in mind that it was pretty shit even when working perfectly) and lots of the equipment that was used to improve voice quality (line amplifiers, filters, etc) really fucked up DSL signals. I'd give them a call though, they may not be aware of it. The linemen probably just verified that it was working, not how well it was working.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you've reset the router and the modem, it's probably on their end. It'd probably be a simple fix on their end, just give them a quick call as Atom said.

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Your speed won't affect your latency by that much, you still have plenty for those games.

It sounds like your ISP's local servers are doing something wrong. Call them up and tell them that you have extremely long ping times.

FyreWulff on