As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Legend of Korra: PANIC!!!! Episode 4 Is Uploaded!!!!

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    oh you're struck by the irony of it

0BnD8l3.gif
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I'm struck by the irony of this all of a sudden

there was a time when I would have argued that Sato was an idiot for investing in the fire ferrets at all, and they should have worked for it all themselves because bootstraps

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    the entire point of sato's speech is that it's not enough to just be talented and hard-working, you also sometimes need luck and/or help from other people

taken in context the story about the loan is anything but super pro-capitalism or whatever you wanna call it

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Anyway
    I am getting a sort of sinister vibe from the Satos for some reason. They seem like they're keeping some secrets and might have motivations other than pure altruism themselves. So far they just seem to be telling Mako what he wants to hear and most of it seems far too good to be true.

episode 4
    the dad seems like a nice guy

however I definitely suspect asami is up to something
    she's coming on way too strong

0BnD8l3.gif
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Oh please.

If it were just about intent to profit then the mysterious benefactor wouldn't have made a substantial loan to a kid that in all likelyhood would never be able to pay him back because his idea is a pipe-dream.

Accepting that kind of risk is generous.

Anyway
    I am getting a sort of sinister vibe from the Satos for some reason. They seem like they're keeping some secrets and might have motivations other than pure altruism themselves. So far they just seem to be telling Mako what he wants to hear and most of it seems far too good to be true.

Honestly? I think we are all getting the same thing because
    They are just too nice. Its possible they just really are that nice, and are accidently manipulated into doing something they don't want to do. Or they are anti-bending people and are luring Korra and her friends into a trap

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Oh please.

If it were just about intent to profit then the mysterious benefactor wouldn't have made a substantial loan to a kid that in all likelyhood would never be able to pay him back because his idea is a pipe-dream.

Anyway

...except the idea was demonstrably not a pipe-dream

that's only obvious in hindsight

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Oh please.

Anyway

...except the idea was demonstrably not a pipe-dream

• The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I don't think Hiroshi is investing in the Fire Ferrets at all. I think he's just helping out his daughter's new boyfriend at her behest because he has more money than God and 30k yuans is probably pocket change.

I am interested to see whether the Satos are running some ulterior motives, as Asami certainly needs to pick up a flaw or two, or a darker side, if she wants to be a truly compelling character. The rest of the group's not crazy enough for her to make it just by being the straight man.

The_Tuninator on
    the entire point of sato's speech is that it's not enough to just be talented and hard-working, you also sometimes need luck and/or help from other people

taken in context the story about the loan is anything but super pro-capitalism or whatever you wanna call it

potentially.

which, again, is why I said "I'm not sure how I feel about Sato" and not "Sato is a dick."

I don't think Hiroshi is investing in the Fire Ferrets at all. I think he's just helping out his daughter's new boyfriend at her behest because he has more money than God and 30k yuans is probably pocket change.

I am interested to see whether the Satos are running some ulterior motives, as Asami certainly needs to pick up a flaw or two, or a darker side, if she wants to be a truly compelling character. The rest of the group's not crazy enough for her to make it just by being the straight man.

oh yeah, there's definitely more going on here.

edited April 2012

oh yeah, there's definitely more going on here.

An idea I saw floated for giving the character a darker side, which I like, is that
    since we know she's a car racer, she could be a member of an illegal underground drag racing circuit or something. Keep her very polite and very nice, but make her an adrenaline/danger junkie, kinda like how Toph really, really liked to fight, and that'd balance her out a bit. I hope they take that direction.

It'd also make for a pretty hilarious character given the contrast in her demeanor and her recreational activities.

The_Tuninator on
    I'm struck by the irony of this all of a sudden

there was a time when I would have argued that Sato was an idiot for investing in the fire ferrets at all, and they should have worked for it all themselves because bootstraps

where's @Callius

he'd get a kick out of this

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Nobody in the Avatar universe has been as 1-dimensional as the Satos are at the moment. That's all I'm saying. We're used to dealing with more complex characters so two overly-friendly and helpful (and may I say they have impeccable timing as well) seem like they will probably be revealed to have more going-on.
    Asami comes out of nowhere, literally runs into Mako and immediately knows who he is. She asks him out, wines and dines him and presses her body up against his. It also turns out she's a wealthy heiress as well as being sexy and attracted to Mako and her father is going to solve all their financial woes with money from his independently-wealthy business.

I mean really now. When has anything worked out this perfectly in this universe before? They haven't overtly telegraphed it though so it's still anyone's game.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Nobody in the Avatar universe has been as 1-dimensional as the Satos are at the moment. That's all I'm saying. We're used to dealing with more complex characters so two overly-friendly and helpful (and may I say they have impeccable timing as well) seem like they will probably be revealed to have more going-on.
    Asami comes out of nowhere, literally runs into Mako and immediately knows who he is. She asks him out, wines and dines him and presses her body up against his. It also turns out she's a wealthy heiress as well as being sexy and attracted to Mako and her father is going to solve all their financial woes with money from his independently-wealthy business.

I mean really now. When has anything worked out this perfectly in this universe before? They haven't overtly telegraphed it though so it's still anyone's game.

In any universe, not just this one

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    This episode was so good, you guys.

The show is just so consistently awesome that It keeps feeling too short. It just speeds by in what feels like a few minutes. The pacing is flawless.

So
    Was anyone else assuming Korra was having another nightmare at the end?

When he turns his hand to touch her face instead of grab at it, I was dee coloning so hard.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

Goatmon wrote: »

The show is just so consistently awesome that It keeps feeling too short. It just speeds by in what feels like a few minutes. The pacing is flawless.

So

When he turns his hand to touch her face instead of grab at it, I was dee coloning so hard.
    yeah I figured she fell asleep while waiting for him to show up

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular

So

same

that was fucked

edited April 2012
    Antimatter wrote: »

So

same

that was fucked
    yeah

korra was DUMB in this episode

lady's gotta learn right quick that Amon's not gonna play by her arbitrary rules

Shorty on

So

same

that was fucked
    yeah

lady's gotta learn right quick that Amon's not gonna play by her arbitrary rules
    Yeah she was making some bad judgement calls here. Can't blame her, though. She's scared shitless and doesn't know how to handle it.

And after that last confrontation, I don't think anyone can really say she's got it easier than Aang does.

I am impressed with the direction they've gone with this.

Also, in regards to the new gal
    I will not be remotely surprised if/when she reveals an ulterior motive.

But, being the daughter of Henry Ford, the girl likely does not consider asking a bending athlete out to a nice restaurant to be going really out of her way, especially after she knocked him over.

Also, I assume that the FLCL reference in their first meeting has already been pointed out?

• SiracSirac Registered User regular
    ...okay. Okay. Going off in a new direction here, but this idea popped into my head a few hours after the show and now it won't go away.

I can't stop thinking that Korra may have just pulled a remarkably epic feat of retroactive foreshadowing/symbolism that may, depending on how the season goes, wind up working on two levels. And I would be desperately curious to find out if Bryke did in fact actually plan this, because I would be really, really impressed if they have actually planned it out this deeply.
    And let me state for the record up front that I have no stake in the shipping wars. At this point I think everyone works with everyone as a pairing, and I don't really care who they all end up with. But if it does end up Korra/Mako...

So in episode 4 we learn that Mako's scarf is not just a piece of clothing, but is in fact an extremely personal and incredibly important keepsake. It is arguably the most valuable possession he has on an emotional level. And he appears to be unwilling to remove it even under the best of circumstances.

But what did he do just one episode before this? He let Korra wear it when they infiltrated the Equalist rally. Yes, going into an unknown and potentially dangerous situation, he willingly entrusts it to someone he really barely knows. Add in his comment about how he feels like it keeps him safe and my reaction is "...dude, why the hell did you do that?"

Now, I'm not saying it implies that Mako is secretly in love with Korra or anything -- I think it has been clearly established that he is most certainly not. But if they wind up together at the end, are we supposed to take this is as foreshadowing? Foreshadowing that we didn't even realize until later?

And beyond that, it already seems to work as symbolism. Mako says he feels like it keeps him safe. What happens at the rally? Oh hey, it keeps Korra safe! And helps rescue his brother! Well done, Mr. Scarf!

...and while hopping through Google to remind myself what Mako said in ep. 4, I find that there is already a Tumblr apparently dedicated to exactly this idea. Goddamn you, Internet.

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular

So

same

that was fucked
    yeah

Yeah she was making some bad judgement calls here. Can't blame her, though. She's scared shitless and doesn't know how to handle it.

And after that last confrontation, I don't think anyone can really say she's got it easier than Aang does.

Ok so why...
    did the Avatar State not kick in there? I get that she is not a very spiritual avatar thus far, but man. Aang wasn't always terribly spiritual-minded when it kicked it, mostly he was "oh god oh god oh god this is bad." And Roku said that the Avatar State was a defensive tool used to keep the Avatar alive until they had mastered the four elements and could take care of themself, not some aspect of the spiritual nature of the Avatar.

I hope there's a reason other than "well it'd solve a few too many problems right now."

edited April 2012
    Sirac wrote: »
    ...okay. Okay. Going off in a new direction here, but this idea popped into my head a few hours after the show and now it won't go away.

I can't stop thinking that Korra may have just pulled a remarkably epic feat of retroactive foreshadowing/symbolism that may, depending on how the season goes, wind up working on two levels. And I would be desperately curious to find out if Bryke did in fact actually plan this, because I would be really, really impressed if they have actually planned it out this deeply.
    And let me state for the record up front that I have no stake in the shipping wars. At this point I think everyone works with everyone as a pairing, and I don't really care who they all end up with. But if it does end up Korra/Mako...

So in episode 4 we learn that Mako's scarf is not just a piece of clothing, but is in fact an extremely personal and incredibly important keepsake. It is arguably the most valuable possession he has on an emotional level. And he appears to be unwilling to remove it even under the best of circumstances.

But what did he do just one episode before this? He let Korra wear it when they infiltrated the Equalist rally. Yes, going into an unknown and potentially dangerous situation, he willingly entrusts it to someone he really barely knows. Add in his comment about how he feels like it keeps him safe and my reaction is "...dude, why the hell did you do that?"

Now, I'm not saying it implies that Mako is secretly in love with Korra or anything -- I think it has been clearly established that he is most certainly not. But if they wind up together at the end, are we supposed to take this is as foreshadowing? Foreshadowing that we didn't even realize until later?

And beyond that, it already seems to work as symbolism. Mako says he feels like it keeps him safe. What happens at the rally? Oh hey, it keeps Korra safe! And helps rescue his brother! Well done, Mr. Scarf!

...and while hopping through Google to remind myself what Mako said in ep. 4, I find that there is already a Tumblr apparently dedicated to exactly this idea. Goddamn you, Internet.

That's actually an interesting idea.
    But, if him giving her the scarf meant anything, it was probably just his way of looking out for her in a scary situation. I suppose he hasn't really trusted her to take charge yet, and was unintentionally patronizing her a bit, I think. With Bolin to look after, he's used to being responsible for others and was kind of treating Korra the same way.

Goatmon on

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Aang was more spiritual before he could talk than korra is, probably explains it

edited April 2012
    Narbus wrote: »

So

same

that was fucked
    yeah

Ok so why...
    did the Avatar State not kick in there? I get that she is not a very spiritual avatar thus far, but man. Aang wasn't always terribly spiritual-minded when it kicked it, mostly he was "oh god oh god oh god this is bad." And Roku said that the Avatar State was a defensive tool used to keep the Avatar alive until they had mastered the four elements and could take care of themself, not some aspect of the spiritual nature of the Avatar.

I hope there's a reason other than "well it'd solve a few too many problems right now."
    It only seems to kick in during life or death moments, for the most part.

She was captured, and she was scared to death, but she wasn't being harmed.

Same reason it didn't kick in when Aang was chained up by Zhao.

I imagine that it would trigger if he seriously tried to to de-bend her.

Goatmon on

• SiracSirac Registered User regular
    That's actually an interesting idea.
    But, if him giving her the scarf meant anything, it was probably just his way of looking out for her in a scary situation. I suppose he hasn't really trusted her to take charge yet, and was unintentionally patronizing her a bit, I think. With Bolin to look after, he's used to being responsible for others and was kind of treating Korra the same way.
    That might explain it in-universe, true enough. And again, I'm not saying that his actions are actually supposed to imply anything at this point in time. I'm just wondering if it's a moment that, when it's all said and done, we're supposed to look back on and go "Hey, look at that!" And also if Bryke did it intentionally.

Really, I'm mostly impressed that Mako's comments this week made me go back and think about last week in a new way, even if they didn't mean for me to do so. :)

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    Also, in regards to the new gal
    I will not be remotely surprised if/when she reveals an ulterior motive.

But, being the daughter of Henry Ford, the girl likely does not consider asking a bending athlete out to a nice restaurant to be going really out of her way, especially after she knocked him over.

Also, I assume that the FLCL reference in their first meeting has already been pointed out?
    yeah, it was pretty weird that nick let them have mako grow a gigantic penis horn out of his head

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Hmm
    If you were super rich and found out your favorite sports team wasn't going to play because of a cash issue, wouldn't you step in

Especially if you were crushing on one of the members

I think ulterior motives are possible, maybe likely, but not absolutely required

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    So what I'm hearing here

Is that the 4th episode still isn't out?

SAD. FACE.

Quire.jpg
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    Hmm
    If you were super rich and found out your favorite sports team wasn't going to play because of a cash issue, wouldn't you step in

Especially if you were crushing on one of the members

I think ulterior motives are possible, maybe likely, but not absolutely required

Also
    The ferrets are minor celebrities and they have arguably the most important person in the world on their team. Seems like a sure thing investment even if they don't win they'll be crowd favorites and provide free advertisement

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I love this show now.

I just watched Episode 3.

So good.

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hiroshi Sato
    While further complexities to his character may end up being nearly anything I do just want to state out-loud that while Henry Ford was an innovator who brought the automobile from a rich man's toy to into the hands of the working man he was also a big fan of Adolf Hitler.

I don't think he's gonna turn out to be evil per say. I'm just preparing for a twist.

Also that is a really great observation with Mako and his scarf. If I were to guess, he probably does feel some drive to protect Korra, even if it's just as a sister rather than a romantic partner.

It is likely they'll end up together though.

It's interesting seeig how fast he goes after Ms. Sato though. She got through his defenses pretty handily even before he knew she was an heiress. It's one of he only times we get to see him when he's not trying to be a father figure.

TankHammer on
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Asami
    Based on the way she's acted in her first appearance, her "ulterior motive" may just that she buys whatever she wants, up to and including boyfriends. Mako is definitely working as a trophy that Asami is interested in, and therefore "polishing" to the degree he needs to be to make her happy. But hey, if the relationship fleshes out more than that, awesome.

And hey, if Bolin and Korra end up together, that'd be fine with me too. They've kind of got a Sokka/Suki thing going.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

So

same

that was fucked
    yeah

Korra's not dumb, she's just very inexperienced and naive. She's still got a lot to learn about how the world works. Being an honorable person she has no clue how to deal with handle pragmatic opponents.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Great episode
    The fancy clothes in particular were great, Amon still an exciting villain, Korra is a spectacularly human character

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Hiroshi Sato
    While further complexities to his character may end up being nearly anything I do just want to state out-loud that while Henry Ford was an innovator who brought the automobile from a rich man's toy to into the hands of the working man he was also a big fan of Adolf Hitler.

I don't think he's gonna turn out to be evil per say. I'm just preparing for a twist.

Also that is a really great observation with Mako and his scarf. If I were to guess, he probably does feel some drive to protect Korra, even if it's just as a sister rather than a romantic partner.

It's interesting seeig how fast he goes after Ms. Sato though. She got through his defenses pretty handily even before he knew she was an heiress. It's one of he only times we get to see him when he's not trying to be a father figure.
    She's an attractive, friendly lady with a nice personality. Of course Mako would say yes to a date with her.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    no such thing as a charitable loan what kind of bullshit is that

2x39jD4.jpg
  • MomoriMomori Registered User regular
    Regarding Eps 4. Loan
    As much as I get a 'there's going to be more to this' feeling from Sato, admittedly the Fire Ferrets are probably slatted to win this tournament, having the Avatar on their team. Endorsing such a team is a huge advertising opportunity for Sato, and with his humble beginnings background it certainly makes sense that he'd want to help.

Also I think people might be reading into Asami too much; maybe the girl is just attracted to the professional athlete? Admittedly she doesn't have a whole lot of character outside of that, so obviously she's going to develop more, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't turn out that she's actually an equalist.

• AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    A loan can be a lucky break for the recipient even if it's just cold business for the investor

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
    edited April 2012
    Hiroshi Sato

She's an attractive, friendly lady with a nice personality. Of course Mako would say yes to a date with her.
    Yeah, they seem to have intended for Asami to be basically the most beautiful woman in the entire city, so I don't really think that it's a shocker that Mako would agree to go on a date with her at one of the fanciest restaurants in the city.
    Sirac wrote: »

What I find really hilarious about Korra borrowing the scarf is that Korra then used it to whiplash a 300-pound dude into a steam vent.

The_Tuninator on
This discussion has been closed.