As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Summer Slugfest Slamdown: Movies & More!

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I hate(envy) all of you until May 4th!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Young Justice
    Glorious Godfrey showing up means Darkseid can't be far behind. I really hope they don't screw him up.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Young Justice
    Glorious Godfrey showing up means Darkseid can't be far behind. I really hope they don't screw him up.
    As long as they get Ironside to voice him again.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Young Justice

speaking of
    Tim Curry was Glorious Godfrey!

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    Young Justice

speaking of

How did I not notice that!

I fucking love him. I feel bad now. I even watched a criminal minds two-parter for him.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    There's only thing I can recommend to anyone who's going to watch the Avengers. Go 2D. The first 15 mins of film are VERY dark. Frustratingly so.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    There's only thing I can recommend to anyone who's going to watch the Avengers. Go 2D. The first 15 mins of film are VERY dark. Frustratingly so.

You don't need to convince me to see the 2-D version.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    I'm sorry Solar, but I have to hate you for the next week or so

It gets easier. I've hated him for years. :)

• spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Young Justice

speaking of

I fucking love him. I feel bad now. I even watched a criminal minds two-parter for him.

Tim Curry is so good at voice work. Even way back when he was Captain Hook on Peter Pan & the Pirates.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Young Justice

speaking of

man criminal minds is good, not a burden to watch

that was a particularly gut-wrenching one, though

huntresssig.jpg
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    HOLY SHIT

HOLY SHIT
    HOLY SHIT

THE NEW SEASON OF YOUNG JUSTICE

HOLY SHIT
    Five year timeskip!
    Tim is robin, Dick is Nightwing, Megan is with Lagoon Boy instead of Conner. Blue Beetle, bumblebee, Cassie, Batgirl (Barbara), and Beast Boy are all on the team, among others.

Also, LOBO!

I have always been been pretty harsh about YJ but I will give them one thing.

This show never fucking plays it safe.

It is grand that there is a show where things like that spoiler happens regularly.

Quire.jpg
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Young Justice:
    Notice anyone missing? Kid Flash, Green Arrow or his sidekicks?

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I'm sorry Solar, but I have to hate you for the next week or so

It's okay

I have the Avengers to sustain me

SO FUCKING GOOD YOU GUYS

seriously it is the best film Marvel have ever made

In fact, it is the best superhero movie ever

Joss Whedon is laughing at Chris Nolan

• cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    Heh, I remember when Joss Whedon was first announced as director for Avengers, there was so much hate for him on the forums.

Who's laughing now? Huh? Huh?

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
    I am willing to admit I have not been entirely sure about Whedon as the writer or director before

and that I have not enjoyed some of his work

but man, he did a fantastic job this time

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Young Justice:
    Notice anyone missing? Kid Flash, Green Arrow or his sidekicks?
    Green Arrow was seen floating on Green Lantern's platform at the end with Black Canary, Plastic Man, and Black Lightning

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I am willing to admit I have not been entirely sure about Whedon as the writer or director before

What work didn't you like that he did?

Kid Flash and Aqualad were both missing. Also, Red Arrow.

My guess is that Wally is Flash now, and for some reason Aqualad's presence is required in Atlantis, where he's probably Arthur's second.

As for Red Arrow... well. We don't know if they ever found the real one, or what happened to the clone.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    About Red Arrow
    He is off searching for the real red arrow, that's what they have said in interviews

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    That new YJ episode, wow. That's what it felt like this comic reboot should have been last year. Really good stuff.
    It's like One Year Later done right. I mean, time skips seem to be used way too often these days (I think it was One Tree Hill or the Veronica Mars season 4 pitch that started it in recent times), but it works here just at first glance. Nightwing's new costume looks pretty boss, although I wish the sticks stuck to the back instead of his DD style leg wrap. And to be honest, I didn't know Mal was Vox, heck I can't even remember Vox in any DC comics I've read outside of 52. I just never read that much TT stuff. That completely went over my head when he and Bumblebee were shown in season 1. And Catherine from JLE! How cool!

The only thing I didn't care for is Beast Boy, simply because I've never liked the character and of all the new cast, he just seems the most redundant and shoehorned just because of him being a teen hero. Blue Beetle, Lagoon Boy (don't know who he is) and Kid Flash, if he hasn't done a big character change, fill that smart alec role just fine. I think it's coming from the X-Men, he never felt like he's Nightcrawler enough. Zatanna's new outfit seems weird for a 18-19 year old hero, this is where fatherly influence would have helped.

Solar wrote: »

What work didn't you like that he did?

Not the hugest fan of Firefly, to be honest

edited April 2012
    TexiKen wrote: »
    That new YJ episode, wow. That's what it felt like this comic reboot should have been last year. Really good stuff.
    It's like One Year Later done right. I mean, time skips seem to be used way too often these days (I think it was One Tree Hill or the Veronica Mars season 4 pitch that started it in recent times), but it works here just at first glance. Nightwing's new costume looks pretty boss, although I wish the sticks stuck to the back instead of his DD style leg wrap. And to be honest, I didn't know Mal was Vox, heck I can't even remember Vox in any DC comics I've read outside of 52. I just never read that much TT stuff. That completely went over my head when he and Bumblebee were shown in season 1. And Catherine from JLE! How cool!

The only thing I didn't care for is Beast Boy, simply because I've never liked the character and of all the new cast, he just seems the most redundant and shoehorned just because of him being a teen hero. Blue Beetle, Lagoon Boy (don't know who he is) and Kid Flash, if he hasn't done a big character change, fill that smart alec role just fine. I think it's coming from the X-Men, he never felt like he's Nightcrawler enough. Zatanna's new outfit seems weird for a 18-19 year old hero, this is where fatherly influence would have helped.
    Beast Boy was introduced last season during one of the episodes you probably missed. He was the son of the old sitcom star that Ms Martian had based her earth appearance and personality on. The woman and her son lived on an animal preserve just outside of Bialya, and they got caught up in a conflict. The boy needed blood, so Ms. Martian tried to mimic his blood type and then gave him a transfusion.

HadjiQuest on
    And while I liked Avengers, and it had a ton of good character work, I'm not sure I'd call it the best ever just because there was barely any plot.

However, it did make me want to see another Hulk movie with Ruffalo.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    One question about the Avengers movie for you time travellers:
    Is Cap more like Ultimate Cap in terms or reacting to the new world, where he's still got that America Fuck Yeah mentality? It would warm my heart to see that

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Is Cap more like Ultimate Cap in terms or reacting to the new world, where he's still got that America Fuck Yeah mentality? It would warm my heart to see that

C'mon, Tex. This is Whedon we're talking about.

I'm entirely expecting a soft-spoken Cap with a wounded heart filled with the past. Captain America, as played by Bono.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I believed in you from the start, Avengers

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    not exactly

he recognises that he is a bit old-fashioned and feels lost in the new world

but he's still a hero and rad etc

I wouldn't say he's "America, fuck yeah"
    It's a bit difficult to pin him as a character without spoiling his scenes
    He's pretty much the same as in his movie.
    The "I don't have a right to do any less" and "I don't like bullies" scenes from his movie still seem to be his major motivation
    Mainly he just seems like a nice and likeable guy doing the right thing

He does take charge military style and starts shouting orders, which was pretty cool

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Yeah, quite surprised that they went with that large of a timeskip, and that huge increase in Cast.

I was unsure how they'd deal with a huge cast when I heard about all these new members joining prior to the next season. Makes sense to start a new roster. But I'm still sad we only had one season for the first roster and just when we we were getting new addictions like Zantanna and Rocket on the team. That said Beast Boy, Lagoon Boy, Robin II, Batgirl, Wonder Girl are all cool.

edit: I just realized they may have broken up
    Superboy & Miss Martian so he can pursue a relationship with Wonder Girl like in Johns' Teen Titans run.

Hah!
    I told you suckers it was Tim!

Interesting start to the new season

• herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Young Justice:
    I totally did not expect them to do a time jump. Especially when they ended the first season on such a cliff hanger. I think it's cool, but I kinda would have liked to see that five years. I wonder if they are going to set up the Titans as a seperate team since Miss Martian, Superboy, and Nightwing don't want to join the Justice League. Also I totally didn't catch that Beast Boy was supposed to be that one kid MM gave her blood too. That's kinda goofy. That would mean he could turn into anything, not just animals. Also why would he have a monkey tail at all times?

herojoe on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    The Dark Knight Rises ARG appears to involve helping the GCPD catch "The Batman".

I know, ARGs are just stupid advertising but I really like this idea

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    The Dark Knight Rises ARG appears to involve helping the GCPD catch "The Batman".

Out of professional interest... can I ask what you don't like about ARGs? I work on ARGs for some marvelous comic publishers, and their distinguished competitors, so when the subject comes up on boards like this I'm always interested.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5VDDJlsD6I

Dark Knight Rises trailer.

Hmm

Interesting.

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Hensler wrote: »

Out of professional interest... can I ask what you don't like about ARGs? I work on ARGs for some marvelous comic publishers, and their distinguished competitors, so when the subject comes up on boards like this I'm always interested.

It pretty much got nailed right here:
    217516961_tWRcr-L-2.jpg

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Beast Boy was introduced last season during one of the episodes you probably missed. He was the son of the old sitcom star that Ms Martian had based her earth appearance and personality on. The woman and her son lived on an animal preserve just outside of Bialya, and they got caught up in a conflict. The boy needed blood, so Ms. Martian tried to mimic his blood type and then gave him a transfusion.
    Oh crap, that kid became Beast Boy? I must have missed some episodes in between that one and the new one.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Oddly enough, I'm starting to lose a bit of interest in DK. I mean, I'm sure it's going to be a great movie and all, but just watching that trailer confirms that it might be a bit too serious for me to really enjoy/get hyped about. Except for the bit at the end, everything in that trailer is so angsty and dark and dry.

Is it just me or did they go way overboard with Bane's voice in the opposite direction? I can't quite explain it, but at least from the trailer, it sounds really overdubbed and not natural.

also
    Interesting that the trailer focuses quite a bit on JGL

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I posted this in another thread but I'm thoroughly convinced that JGL is going to be a key point in this film. I think that Bruce is going to be "broken" for most of the film, leaving JGL and Selena to kind of fill the void, so to speak.

Batman as a movement. Okay.

This discussion has been closed.