As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Community: Season 4 Premiere February 7, Old Timeslot

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Shirley is the character they have the hardest time writing for, but they're getting better at it. The thing I enjoy about Shirley is that realistically she's not nice at all. It's just a mask she wears. Shirley plots make whoever she's paired with funnier and more likable, almost universally. Especially Shirley + Jeff plots. Joel and Yvette have really excellent chemistry together. Most importantly, Yvette can make these lines funnier, something Chevy doesn't really do.

The writing thing could explain why her character hasn't developed. However, a bigger problem is that she is, as you said, a sidekick character. She is to be paired with others. She is a compliment to what someone else does.

I can't think of a time when Shirley had her own story arc, and it was funny.

• Options
    PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The LaO version of 'At Least It Was Here"

Can be downloaded here (the one titled "community_law_and_order_intro.mp3")

PoultryGeist on
    IcdplGM.png
  • Options
    izzybizzyb AdelaideRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The only knock I can see on Shirley is that she doesn't have an easy stereotype apart from a very part-time `religious', which to some people means she's unfunny. They're wrong; I think she's solid in every scene where the writers give her a role.

izzyb on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I think all the characters are solid and don't want any of them cut. including starburns, I hope he's somehow alive.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    So someone on Reddit posted up an image of Ken Jeong (Chang) in 'The Office' season 2 and I felt like something was a little too familiar...

Spoilered for size:
    n9vHi.png

Ed: For reference, right behind Annie on the left is the blackboard and behind Dean Pelton and the reporter from 'Dean Magazine' is the door, pretty much the same shot.

PoultryGeist on
    IcdplGM.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Shirley pulls out a gun.

(also check out Wyatt Cynac in the background of the Office shot)

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

Hello, new ringtone.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    Shirley is the character they have the hardest time writing for, but they're getting better at it. The thing I enjoy about Shirley is that realistically she's not nice at all. It's just a mask she wears. Shirley plots make whoever she's paired with funnier and more likable, almost universally. Especially Shirley + Jeff plots. Joel and Yvette have really excellent chemistry together. Most importantly, Yvette can make these lines funnier, something Chevy doesn't really do.

The writing thing could explain why her character hasn't developed. However, a bigger problem is that she is, as you said, a sidekick character. She is to be paired with others. She is a compliment to what someone else does.

I can't think of a time when Shirley had her own story arc, and it was funny.

the foosball ep was pretty great

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

Oh my god I didn't realize it was the same song

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

Yeah, pretty awesome. They did the same thing with the fantasy version for the D&D episode.

• Options

I didn't realise until the "I can't count the reasons I should stay" melody kicked in and then my brain was officially wrinkled.

IcdplGM.png
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    So someone on Reddit posted up an image of Ken Jeong (Chang) in 'The Office' season 2 and I felt like something was a little too familiar...

Spoilered for size:
    n9vHi.png

Ed: For reference, right behind Annie on the left is the blackboard and behind Dean Pelton and the reporter from 'Dean Magazine' is the door, pretty much the same shot.

I don't know what that has to do with Ken Jeong that the director framed a shot of Jeong with three people behind him. You could do the same thing with lots of other actors in tv shows because they frame shots in certain ways to convey what is happening.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    The only thing that makes the parody episodes work so well is the fact that Troy and Abed seem like theyd be acting that way regardless of the parody. Their characters would treat the situation like a Law and Order episode, so it carries the theme far enough. The rest of the gang act a BIT out of place, but meh.

Also, I LOVE the way the episode started with focus on Abed and Troy and seamless transitioned to Jeff and Annie, they nailed Law and Order perfectly.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    I think my favorite line two days later is "sorry about my partner, he's been on edge ever since we switched"

• Options
    Magell wrote: »

Spoilered for size:
    n9vHi.png

I don't know what that has to do with Ken Jeong that the director framed a shot of Jeong with three people behind him. You could do the same thing with lots of other actors in tv shows because they frame shots in certain ways to convey what is happening.

Random coincidence is all I was commenting on. I doubt anyone from the Communiteam thought "Hey, remember when Ken was on The Office and there was a classroom scene? Let's recreate that!"

IcdplGM.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Use of the actual Law & Order ME was great, as was the janitor guy opening Starburns' locker who looked eerily familiar.

Also, every scene was amazing.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    I squeed out loud when he said "A man must have a code."

My girlfriend turned to me and said "Wire reference?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUAbRwgkDZ0

• Options
    The dean as the Wire-fan surrogate was a great touch on that line.

• Options
    I just got the Magnitude Joke
    Abed summarizes his very detailed and lengthy story, but we only see Magnitude respond, "pop pop!"

• Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    The dean as the Wire-fan surrogate was a great touch on that line.

Yeah, his delivery on it was perfect. Maybe my favorite part of a great episode.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    "In science we call that a hypothesis. You find something to back that up and we can talk." is a fucking brilliant line.

edit: actually, every single line is hilarious. I wouldn't say this is the best Community episode, but it certainly is the best Community parody/homage-episode.

Julius on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    I just got the Magnitude Joke
    Abed summarizes his very detailed and lengthy story, but we only see Magnitude respond, "pop pop!"

exactly. My first thought was "are they actually going to have magnitude say all that?" Then it was "Oh, that's hilarious"

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I think my favorite line two days later is "sorry about my partner, he's been on edge ever since we switched"

I didnt quite get that. I listened to the line multiple times trying to figure out what he said. Switched? Like one was good cop and one was bad cop and they switched?

I also liked Starburns almost falling for Abed's "Hes a bad cop, Im a good cop, you can trust me."

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Disrupter wrote: »

I didnt quite get that. I listened to the line multiple times trying to figure out what he said. Switched? Like one was good cop and one was bad cop and they switched?

I also liked Starburns almost falling for Abed's "Hes a bad cop, Im a good cop, you can trust me."

yeah that's exactly it. he's been on edge since he switched to being the cop that's on edge.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So I'm catching up on season 3. On the episode after the pillow war.

Dean shows up.
    Abed: "I need help reacting to something."

I lost it right there.

EDIT: Alright now I'm all caught up. I thought it was a bit of a lost opportunity they didn't hook Annie and Abed up.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options

yeah that's exactly it. he's been on edge since he switched to being the cop that's on edge.

I also didn't get that joke the first time I saw the episode.

Once I understood it, though. So lol.

• Options

I also didn't get that joke the first time I saw the episode.

Once I understood it, though. So lol.

Right before he said it I was thinking "wait, I thought Troy was the bad cop. Did they switch?"

That is quality comedy satisfaction right there.

• Options

That is probably the only time i've thought a joke wasn't explained well enough. Or maybe it wasn't punch-liney enough. I'm not sure.

Dean shows up.

I lost it right there.

EDIT: Alright now I'm all caught up. I thought it was a bit of a lost opportunity they didn't hook Annie and Abed up.

They already did, kinda. Paintball 2.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Nappuccino wrote: »

That is probably the only time i've thought a joke wasn't explained well enough. Or maybe it wasn't punch-liney enough. I'm not sure.

Dean shows up.

I lost it right there.

Abed has seduced Annie on several occasions throughout the series.

In fact they've basically non-overtly stated that the dude is smooth as hell when he wants to be/is in character to be.

• Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    Best episode of the season!

• Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    Its funny, the minor recurring characters (Todd, fat Neil, Leonard, the janitor) are my some of my favourites.

• Options
    edited April 2012

I thought it was perfect.
    Also, Abed's knowing smiles are brilliant.

Just rewatched it. So many good lines!

And noticed this cheeky pair in the background!
    vPInZ.png

Has Magnitude ever said anything but "pop pop"? because in Jeffs closing arguments he shouts "HEY! That's mine!" :O

PoultryGeist on
    IcdplGM.png
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Dean shows up.

I lost it right there.

Abed has seduced Annie on several occasions throughout the series.

In fact they've basically non-overtly stated that the dude is smooth as hell when he wants to be/is in character to be.

It's because Abed is, when you think about it, not a very nice person and uses what he knows about TV to manipulate people to get the reaction he wants on a disturbing scale.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular

vPInZ.png

Has Magnitude ever said anything but "pop pop"? because in Jeffs closing arguments he shouts "HEY! That's mine!" :O

Whats up with the circled people?

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »

vPInZ.png

She wipes her mouth and then a man zips up his pants.

What do you think is up with them?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular

vPInZ.png

Oh, hahaha, I saw maybe-man wearing short shorts yawning or shocked and college student in suit. Totally didnt see short shorts walking away in the second picture.

• Options

vPInZ.png

Oh, hahaha, I saw maybe-man wearing short shorts yawning or shocked and college student in suit. Totally didnt see short shorts walking away in the second picture.

Lol, it took me a couple minutes to get it, too. But when I did, a grin was had by all. A cheshire, knowing grin.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    I also thought that line was perfect, any more and they're just explaining the joke which is always a bad sign.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I also thought that line was perfect, any more and they're just explaining the joke which is always a bad sign.

"switched" is just not a very specific word. I kept waiting for him to say what they switched (I mean, it could have been underwear, fake gun, ties). I feel like "Traded places" or something a bit more like that would have been fine without crossing into over explanation territory.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    yeah I see your point. I like it as it stands but they could have made it clearer without ruining it. I just thought it was clear enough as is and the fact that I had to think about it for a second made it better for me. but if I hadn't actually come to the conclusion I'm sure I'd feel differently about how it was written.