As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

LOOK AT MY [Comics Art Appreciation Thread]! – NSF56K

CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
edited September 2013 in Graphic Violence
Since Munch is too lazy to do it :), I figure I'd go ahead and make this thread. I'm mainly doing it for two reasons: All of the awesome Captain Marvel art appearing online, and Dennis Culver's current series of Dean Pelton art.

SOURCE YOUR POSTS

The very least provide a link back to where you found it. Unless you are a lazy fuck or the source is impossible to determine, include the artist and the site where you found it in the post.

I would greatly appreciate as this car's driver that if you have some piece on your computer and don't know who drew it or where, then use TinEye and/or Google Images to find them.

GROUPING

At some point, I will probably begin linking posts back to the OP either by character or artist (or both).

ART COLLECTIONS AND GALLERIES

If you find another art collection or gallery you like, e.g. Comics Alliance's weekly "Best Art Week Ever" posts, please feel free to link it.

Anyway, ONTO THE PICTURES!

Collection Links:

Crimsondude on

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Chris Giarrusso is the best. He's doing random tributes to classic covers right now, along with some nice sketches, like so:

tt_wonderwoman97.jpg

optimusprime.jpg

MOC_2011_Holiday_3.jpg

And the best drawing he ever did, no bias whatsoever:
    Liver_Cap_Vs_USAgent.jpg

This was an April Fool's Joke but it should be made into a real book to apologize for Image United being so delayed:

walkingdeadforkids.jpg

Valerio Schiti is a guy whose work I first saw in the TMNT: Donatello one-shot, and have been keeping an eye out for future stuff ever since. He's got this really versatile style that can go from Carlo Barberi to Stuart Immonen:

be8b3bb7b709fa35c679ccacf2cf3d9d-d4lzzn7.jpg

ghost_rider_by_valhertz-d41l1rp.jpg

He even drew a few pages following the script of Uncanny X-Force #5.1 to show his page layouts compared to Albuquerque:
    x_force_5_1_page8_by_valhertz-d3garn4.jpg

x_force_5_1_page11_by_valhertz-d3garfx.jpg

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    28r0bhf.jpg

Dell'Otto is an art genius

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    James Stokoe is a mad comics genius. His work is always infused with character and energy, no matter what's occurring on the page.

I got completely stumped trying to figure out what the sound effect for Godzilla's trademark roar would be, so I looked up what it looked like run through an oscilloscope and just traced over that with some vague lettering. Godzilla has almost 60 years worth of movies, in different eras and with some radically different tones, so it's great to pick through and try to figure out how to make those ideas work in a comic book.

sxt2G.jpg

His original works all have the same weird, surrealist edge to them. Whether it's Orc Stain, the story of an arc that's a square peg that doesn't fit the round hole that is orc culture, or Won Ton Soup, his digest-sized comic about cooking and romance, set against a sci-fi backdrop.

He draws lush foliage and dense machinery with equal ease, uses clean, beautiful lines that work even without his gradient-based coloring, letters his work by hand, and embarks on strange projects like Spider-Nam, for no reason but his own enjoyment.

aknjQ.jpg

mX6uS.jpg

guLkd.jpg

uq2Kz.jpg

TkqUe.jpg

agPRh.jpg

A7bGc.jpg

Also, he holds his pen with some weird death-grip.
    wQILS.jpg

You can enjoy more of his work at his DeviantArt, which features some of his early, unpublished comics, or his website, which he updates sporadically.

He currently releases Orc Stain through Image, on a whenever-it's-done schedule, and IDW is slated to publish his upcoming Godzilla comic.

Recommended Works

-Wonton Soup
    -Orc Stain
    -Murderbullets (FREE)

Munch on
    I like nearly all his stuff

but I don't like the scales on that Godzilla

I will accept that it is a faithful rendition of the classic look of Godzilla

but I just don't like them

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i like stokoe's artwork but i've only ever read Murderbullets, which I fucking hated.

I love Murderbullets, just because I think the subtext is interesting to read into.

I mean, the two primary characters are a guy who lives in a dingy little hovel eating stale food and making comics, as a way of gaining some measure of immortality, and a guy who's far from home, alone, scared, and dying. I think Stokoe, who was living in the U.S. at the time, prior to being deported back to Canada, was pouring a lot of his own insecurities and worries out onto the page, in a way I find really gripping.

That said, as a story, I can see why it'd turn some people off. It starts off as a sci-fi war comic, takes a weird left turn as it delves into the creative process of a psychopath, has what seems like a cocky self-insert character, and ultimately ends things pretty badly for the protagonist.

almost exactly why i hate it, minus the idea of it being a self-insert but plus the body horror.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I loved Wonton Soup. If you've ever enjoyed food as something that's more than just fuel that you can shove into your corporeal form, even for one single meal, I highly recommend Wonton Soup. There's a 39-page preview on the Oni website. If you don't have the time for 39 pages, start with page 23; it's my favorite sequence in the book, and the one that sold me on it.

Wonton Soup 2 was, in my opinion, not as good, but still a fun read with amazing art.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    ShaneDavisSuperman.jpg

From Superman: Earth 1. I don't know what it is about thin outlines but I like this.

Yuko Ota, artist of the webcomic Johnny Wander, as well as other independent works, shares her color try-out pages for Scott Pilgrim.

1Yvev.jpg

I have to say, that's the kind of palette I was really expecting to see, in a colored Scott Pilgrim.

• RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    tumblr_m33fo6RPhy1qc2tajo1_1280.png

Yessss

Quitely, innit

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I really wish he was on Batman & Robin for more than 3 issues. I love his art so much.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    Nice. Source?

It's from this month's issue of Playboy.

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Thanks, Solar and Munch. I assumed it was Quitely.

I don't want to be a dick about it, but I don't think it's asking too much to provide the source of the image.

Crimsondude on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Thought that was Patrick Stewart at first glance. After looking closer, it's one of the better things I've seen Quitely do - I'm not normally a fan, but this is rad.

Has Morrison ever written anything with Hal Jordan, though? I guess he was a bit player in Final Crisis.

• RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    I'll post the pics and Munch can source 'em. Win-win.

I'll post the pics and Munch can source 'em. Win-win.

/glares

edited April 2012
    Crimsondude on
  • VermisVermis Registered User regular
    I only just found out that Flesh made a comeback this year, in 2000AD. It looks like James McKay doesn't have to rely on swipes of 20yo Jurassic Park stills, and he's pretty handy with the ink too.
    2000AD-1742-Pg1.jpg2000AD-11742-Pg2.jpg

http://dontfeedthemonkeys.com/2012/03/19/flesh/

rulksig.jpg
    edited April 2012
    Crimsondude on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Dat Citizen V.

TvT_CitizenV.jpg

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

It wouldn't be Frank Cho without some T and/or A, huh?

He's a damn good artist, though.

I figure this thread is the best place to mention David Brothers' piece on James Stokoe's art and lettering for Godzilla.

Man, Giannis Milonogiannis' art for the next issue of Prophet, looks awesome.

2haIZ.jpg

It's interesting to see his art, when it's not in greyscale and screentone.

edited May 2012
    Jason Latour has a sketchbook available for download.

Also, iFanboy has their own weekly art roundup: Sketchup.

Crimsondude on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Skottie Young is always good value
    Skottie_Young_Batman_Hellboy.jpg

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    that giannis art is great

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Since we've had a few Mike knockoffs, here's one by the main main himself. I think it was for "A Christmas Underground" which is super great.

tumblr_ldhsnnfiHW1qa0q13o1_500.jpg

I've been reading through Ramon Villalobos' Tumblr, and daaaaamn..

6y2sC.jpg

I can't decide how I feel about all the guys coming up, who are clearly inspired by Quitely, Moebius, and Darrow. Part of me thinks it's cool, because I really love that style, with the thin line weights, exaggerated anatomy, and little pock marks everywhere.

But, seeing it everywhere, really makes it feel less special.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Also wrinkles. Wrinkles everywhere.

• Lewis RiceLewis Rice Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I really dislike Ramon Villalobos' stuff. All those wrinkles are trying so hard to capture the form, but I think he's putting the wrinkles in the wrong place and/or using too many of them to create the body's shape. A bit too sketchy and unconscious maybe? Don't like his colours either.

EDIT: A bit too skittery, not sketchy.

Lewis Rice on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    But, seeing it everywhere, really makes it feel less special.

I don't see work like that in major comic books, or even in the occasional anthology. Those guys might be a big deal on the internet for a week at a time, but that style hasn't really had any mainstream (for a niche thing like comics in the US) exposure.

Well, Quitely, Pitarra, and Burnham are all pretty high-profile guys, who are currently working in the industry. Darrow and Fisher are only sporadically doing comics and dead, respectively. Then there's guys like Villalobos, who I think is on the cusp of breaking in, or Ulises Farinas, who's already doing indie work here and there.

That's not to say these guys aren't great artists, because they are. But, their work all shares a lot of similarities and influences, that's hard to ignore.

That said, I think it'll be really interesting to look at these guys in a few years, and see how their styles have evolved. Burnham and Pitarra's current work already looks considerably different from their old stuff. Darrow, Fisher, and Quitely all seemed to be influenced by Moebius, but found their own voices, as their careers progressed.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I like Burnham and I like most of Quitely's work

but

that dude you linked up there is just super ugly to me

CYpGAPn.png
    I dislike the work of Ulises Farinas, myself.