As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sean Bean was impaled in the making of this [CHAT]

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    i didn't get to mass effects yesterday because i was helping a friend practice for his Street Fighter tournament today

but i'd be interested today!
    I am up for some later

• Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    Nice swollen battery on this Macbook you got here, Apple.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Honk wrote: »
    I removed my CPU heatsink.

I AM GOING TO USE COPPER PASTE OF THE KIND YOU USE FOR LUBING BOLTS

instead of thermal paste. Because I do not own thermal paste.

Great idea, y/n?

N.

Best case: it doesn't work.

Worst case: your CPU dies.

U certain?

Copper is a pretty good heat conductor I figured.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I removed my CPU heatsink.

I AM GOING TO USE COPPER PASTE OF THE KIND YOU USE FOR LUBING BOLTS

instead of thermal paste. Because I do not own thermal paste.

Great idea, y/n?

N.

Best case: it doesn't work.

Worst case: your CPU dies.

U certain?

Copper is a pretty good heat conductor I figured.

It's a lube, though.

I mean, if you're cool with a result of the testing being having to replace your processor and motherboard, go ahead and try it.

If you aren't, then spend $5 and get a little tube of thermal paste.

I'm kind of curious if it would work, though.

Nova_C on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Hey guys, I'm gonna replace the motor oil in my car with olive oil

great idea y/n

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    Risking an expensive component for the sake of a cheap consumable is almost never a good idea.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm gonna replace the motor oil in my car with olive oil

great idea y/n
    i don't know that that'd work

try whale oil

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Well, there's that. Says on the tube though that it can be used for high temperature surfaces.

I think that just means that high temp won't degrade it.

Doesn't necessarily mean that it's meant to be an efficient heat conductor.

Well, there's that. Says on the tube though that it can be used for high temperature surfaces.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Goddamnit ebgames.ca why wont your stock locator work.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

...referring to its ability to continue lubricating, not to perform any other function, I assume.

Anyway, I imagine the system would shut down once the CPU overheated.

It's not the same thing TAAAAAV

This is "mounting paste"
    "can be used for flenses, seals subjected to high temperatures"

I'm feeling it may be risky though.

Copper is good heat conductor but they don't write the particle size on this thing.

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Dear [chat],

I ended up buying a 64GB SSD to put TERA on so it loads uber fast when I play it.

Good idea? y/n

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Rg012.jpg

• Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    I'M GONNA GO SEE AVENGERS WITH A HOT GUY

SUCK IT, [CHAT]

yGxvf.png
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    Dear [chat],

I ended up buying a 64GB SSD to put TERA on so it loads uber fast when I play it.

Good idea? y/n

y for SSD n for TERA

Don't be hatin.

It's not my fault you like terrible games like GW2.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    It's not the same thing TAAAAAV

This is "mounting paste"
    "can be used for flenses, seals subjected to high temperatures"

I'm feeling it may be risky though.

Copper is good heat conductor but they don't write the particle size on this thing.
    seals subjected to high temperatures

northern-elephant-seal_644_600x450.jpg

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
    Dear [chat],

Good idea? y/n

y for SSD n for TERA

Time travel post mode activate!

Steam
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular

SUCK IT, [CHAT]

RAAAAAAAGGGGE!!
    :evil:

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    @jacobkosh

Flex Mentallo touched me in my special areas.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    what in the actual fuck? I check out Chicago's last.fm listings to see if there's anything good on in July and in the next month Defeater, Code Orange Kids, M83, La Dispute, RHCP, The Wonder Years, Meshuggah and Baroness are playing. Goddamnit I am on the wrong side of the world.

Fuck itttttttt

doing thisssssss

will monitor temps

GREAT IDEA

Copper grease is designed to prevent electrolytic corrosion and remain stable in harsh environments, not to efficiently transfer heat.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    inqui: to start, I would mostly focus on getting a feel for layout and for how to plop down agriculture spots close by to a factory. start with sandwiches and as you upgrade tech and get fancy food, you can switch to processing raw agri to fancy food (your dudes will do this automatically as soon as you place a processing plant down). You will need a sort of "supply chain" in terms of having sufficient people to keep a few plots of land farmed, someone to turn them into fancy food as an ingredient, and someone to take the fancy food and process it into wedding cakes or beef stroganoff or whatever.

by the time you have that going, you will be well into your first game and will probably be sticking your toe into the snow area to the south and mining at the end.

Okay...I think I get what you are getting at, mostly.

Also if you are at the very beginning -- leave an empty space near that landing pad and hotel in the top NE corner -- you will very quickly want two landing pads to handle traffic. Try putting a flowerbed next to or behind the hotel to boost friendship. It does not need to be accessible to any roads.

Two or three plots of farm land are enough to get rolling. It will probably guide you to put down one of those green cube Exporter devices which beam your agri up to orbit for a few thousand bucks a pop. This is fine but you will want to switch over to a Factory (blue and white little building) to build Sandwiches for 1 food. You will probably actually want to keep a really basic item like that going by itself to cover customers when you have hiccups in more labor-intensive goods.

Just get three plots of land going with houses nearby and the first two years or so have a few scripted events to get you more people and unlock things. Put down a second factory near the first one you build -- put them both closer to the hotel if possible. aliens want to land, check into a hotel, and then shop near the hotel (distance to landing pad is not important).

So farm -> exporter directly touching the farm

replace exporter -> build one factory, make easy food for aliens to buy

(stuff happens for a year or so, do little scripted missions and expand)

unlock processing -> build a second factory now that you have more dudes

build a processing plant as close to the second factory as possible, but if you can keep this out of the hotel's reach that is ideal

set second factory to build a Fancy Food item and set the Plant to make Fancy Food

then collect all the spacebux :3

It sounds fussier than it is -- every kind of production will basically follow this arc.

the more labor-intensive an end product is, the more money you'll net.

Sell raw agri stuff is like $2k or so. Computers will be dozens of thousands of dollars per sale. Ching ching ching!

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

SUCK IT, [CHAT]

If I went to see avengers I'd be seeing it with a hot guy. Because I'd be seeing it... with myself. 8-)

desc, I don't know what you were talking about in that post but I won't lie: I came.

I don't suppose I can just click and drag TERA from my C: to the new SSD can I?

Steam
    Feral wrote: »
    @jacobkosh

Flex Mentallo touched me in my special areas.

attaboy

desc, I don't know what you were talking about in that post but I won't lie: I came.

talking bout nerd ass pixelated phone sperg games

ridin' that kairosoft wave

soon inqui will be sending 9 dudes in Power Armor 2 with Wesley Smasher on the front center with a Heat Axe clearing out snow caves for schematics and chuckling nostalgically at his early days of colony planning and humble farming

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

SUCK IT, [CHAT]

No you suck it!

nudge nudge

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    edited April 2012
    I don't suppose I can just click and drag TERA from my C: to the new SSD can I?

actually yes

start the launcher and point it to the new place you want it let it go for a few minutes then drag the files over. then rerun the patcher. should sort its self out.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular

SUCK IT, [CHAT]

Gonna be doing a lot of sucking, eh. That's what I got from this post.

This is less of an insult than you think it is :D

yGxvf.png
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

SUCK IT, [CHAT]

Gonna be doing a lot of sucking, eh. That's what I got from this post.

• BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Local cinema has a deal on Tuesdays where tickets are £3.50. Might go and see the Avengers then.

desc wrote: »

talking bout nerd ass pixelated phone sperg games

ridin' that kairosoft wave

soon inqui will be sending 9 dudes in Power Armor 2 with Wesley Smasher on the front center with a Heat Axe clearing out snow caves for schematics and chuckling nostalgically at his early days of colony planning and humble farming

That is awesome.

I'm gonna ride that wave...

....after I get a new phone.

I like the copper grease I have because it has the most obnoxious subtitle on the packaging.

"If you can't get it apart now, you should have used Copaslip when you put it together".

When I read that I can't help but think "YES BRILLIANT FUCKING THANKS".

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I saw Avengers with a Hot Single Guy. My gay friend, who gets all the manly attention.
    Not from me though, cause I'm not gay.

But the movie was aces.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Copper grease is designed to prevent electrolytic corrosion and remain stable in harsh environments, not to efficiently transfer heat.

^ This. Just because it can withstand high temperatures doesn't mean it's actually very good at transferring heat away. So your CPU will have a good seal as it proceeds to burn through to the other side of your motherboard.

This discussion has been closed.