As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Legend of Korra: PANIC!!!! Episode 4 Is Uploaded!!!!

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    -Tal wrote: »
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Well when you abuse a privilege then it gets taken-away. Now access to a high-quality video of the episode is being replaced by several dozen grainy handicam versions.

Well done hackers.

that

that's not how piracy works

They were taking the episodes off of Nickelodeon's servers instead of watching them through proper, revenue-generating channels and passing them around before the intended air date.

Now Nick has stopped uploading the episodes so the easy route for pirates has been removed and so most of the pirated videos are going to be poor quality.

This has been my experience.

there are no "grainy handicam" versions

nobody is filming their TV

the episodes were ripped directly from Nick's servers, it's the same quality you'd get if you watch it on their site

Which will stop being the case if Nick stops uploading the show online.

However, this is a bad decision either way. Even if the episodes were being leaked, not everyone is going to be watching the leaked versions as long as it goes up on their website in a decent timeframe.

Shit, I heard about the leaks and I specifically avoided looking into it because I wanted to be a good viewer and give Nickelodeon whatever tiny income my visit is worth to them. But I can't do that if they don't fucking put it back.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Episode 5 was leaked, right? Could people please mark any spoilers with Episode 5 (or anything leaked, really) very clearly? I think I just ruined something for myself a few pages back.

I don't think 5 was linked.

I mean, I'm pretty sure?

I hope you're right. Please be right. If you're right, I'll feel better and you get a cookie.

• ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Goatmon wrote: »
    [img][/img]
    Well when you abuse a privilege then it gets taken-away. Now access to a high-quality video of the episode is being replaced by several dozen grainy handicam versions.

Well done hackers.

that

They were taking the episodes off of Nickelodeon's servers instead of watching them through proper, revenue-generating channels and passing them around before the intended air date.

Now Nick has stopped uploading the episodes so the easy route for pirates has been removed and so most of the pirated videos are going to be poor quality.

the episodes were ripped directly from Nick's servers, it's the same quality you'd get if you watch it on their site

Then people will rip it from their DVRs

You can't stop piracy

Thetheroo on
    I have a question, though.

Is there any legitimate way to watch this from the UK, not counting Amazon or Itunes?

edited April 2012
    [img][/img]

Well done hackers.

that

You can't stop piracy

Yeah but people can't put up DVR uploads before the show airs. The episode was being passed around online days before it was supposed to be seen. That's a pretty big no no.

Losing internet revenue because people are uploading the episode after it went on TV is a nuisance, but not a massive loss.

Losing potential ratings because some of the viewers already watched it online is a much bigger problem.

Goatmon on

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    [img][/img]

Well done hackers.

that

You can't stop piracy

I agree they should still upload it but the goal is always to make piracy inconvenient rather than stopping it.

People are more likely to just watch the show on Saturday morning than to go through the effort of finding a high-quality rip of it. Without uploading to the servers early then Nick avoids early leaked episodes.

They're probably shifting to a mid-week upload schedule to maximize television viewings and I can't blame them for that.

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    but you're jumping to the conclusion that the episode isn't up because they are doing the thing you are accusing them of doing

there hasn't been any sort of official statement that I've seen

there are myriad possible explanations for why an episode wouldn't have been put on the website yet apart from nickelodeon being a bunch of meanies who don't get piracy

- they are attempting to devise a security fix to fix the leak issue and can't upload anything until it is done
    - they've started uploading episodes later as part of a timed exclusivity deal with other services and haven't communicated that fact adequately
    - their staff is overworked and haven't had the time to work out putting the episode back up after taking it down after the leak
    - power outage
    - etc.

0BnD8l3.gif
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Do you have any official statements that the new episodes are not going to go up on the website

If not chill out

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I heard they weren't uploading the video until #korra+bolintotp became a twitter trending topic

get to twattering you twits

• Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    [img][/img]

Well done hackers.

that

You can't stop piracy

I agree they should still upload it but the goal is always to make piracy inconvenient rather than stopping it.

People are more likely to just watch the show on Saturday morning than to go through the effort of finding a high-quality rip of it. Without uploading to the servers early then Nick avoids early leaked episodes.

They're probably shifting to a mid-week upload schedule to maximize television viewings and I can't blame them for that.

unless those people don't have cable

Skull Man on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Skull Man wrote: »
    [img][/img]

Well done hackers.

that

You can't stop piracy

The expectation there is that they buy the episodes from the iTunes store.

Anyway, there was never a stated upload time in the first place, so getting anxious due to it not being up yet is jumping the gun. Last week might have been a mistake rather than what was supposed to be the norm.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Also I feel like iTunes had the episode up way faster this week

But the important part is
    fancy clothes were great

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    have they ever said that they're going to be releasing every episode on Nick.com? maybe the plan is only to release certain episodes.

Also, is there a time when this reruns?

• Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    [img][/img]

Well done hackers.

that

You can't stop piracy

Anyway, there was never a stated upload time in the first place, so getting anxious due to it not being up yet is jumping the gun. Last week might have been a mistake rather than what was supposed to be the norm.

is that the expectation of what they should do or what you think some people will do

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    you guys are pretty lucky if you get your episodes within a few days of airdate, back when i had to use cartoonnetwork video they didnt upload until the week after

and those were a single 11 minute episode a show!

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    also my TV's guide says that there is no Korra at all next week

I am assuming this is a mistake in the guide

but WHAT IF IT ISN'T!?!?!?

WHAT IF THEY LIED

edited April 2012
    [img][/img]

Well done hackers.

that

You can't stop piracy

If I had money to spare on that, I'd just get cable.

Goatmon on

also my TV's guide says that there is no Korra at all next week

I am assuming this is a mistake in the guide

but WHAT IF IT ISN'T!?!?!?

Didn't the promo at the end of the episode say "next Saturday"?

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    dammit constantly telling BFL to stop panicking isn't as funny a running gag if he's actually panicking

0BnD8l3.gif
    I'm not panicking

I'm just being sarcastic

the jokes may continue

BUGBOY

your brother is about to lose it you must slap yourself in the fact this instant so that he will feel it across the twin-bond

• BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    pretty sure he's exaggerating in reference to the joke

• HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    [img][/img]

Well done hackers.

that

You can't stop piracy

If I had money to spare on that, I'd just get cable.

The season pass is like $30 though, that seems much cheaper than a monthly cable subscription

I AM hYPERVENTILATING OVER HERE

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    If nick decided to stop putting up the episodes online in a timely manner because asshats pirated an episode off their servers days before the air date, then that makes sense and is also not unreasonable

There are TWO perfectly legal ways to get new episodes that are available to everyone with an internet connection and a credit card, and will end up being cheaper than the cost of paying for cable over the course of the months the show will run

2x39jD4.jpg
  • BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »
    BUGBOY

your brother is about to lose it you must slap yourself in the fact this instant so that he will feel it across the twin-bond
    nice try

• Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    BugBoy wrote: »
    pretty sure he's exaggerating in reference to the joke

There's a joke somewhere?

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    I AM hYPERVENTILATING OVER HERE

Ok BFL just think calming, happy thoughts.

Like the fact that BFL / BB is the totp

I AM IN MY HAPPY PLACE

BUGBOY

nice try

motherfucker you sassing me

I'll fix your little red wagon BUTLER FOR LIFE #1 PUNCH YOURSELF IN THE BALLS IMMEDIATELY

BUGBOY

nice try

motherfucker you sassing me

I'll fix your little red wagon BUTLER FOR LIFE #1 PUNCH YOURSELF IN THE BALLS IMMEDIATELY

NOPE

PRETTY PLEASE

• The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    As far as I know Episode 5 hasn't been leaked, so no worries on anything that you thought was an Episode 5 spoiler.
    And Amazon, who took till Tuesday last week to get episode 3 up, had episode 4 up today.

Episode 4 thoughts
    Hahaha new canon sinking all the ships
    Have I ever mentioned how great Korra as a character has been so far?
    Goddamn Equalists are way more terrifying than the entire Fire Nation Army.
    Anon is goddamn creepy and the scene with him and Korra is way more menacing than I ever expected in a kids show.

Korra is the greatest. I don't think an ensemble show's main protagonist has even been this clearly my favorite before. She is so awesome.

The_Tuninator on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I keep hoping Korra will kind of go the way of Fiona and Cake, and just realize that just having a bunch of guy friends and being into guy stuff is perfectly acceptable, and dating someone isn't going to validate you.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i think i saw somewhere that there's no new episode next week

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Javen wrote: »
    I keep hoping Korra will kind of go the way of Fiona and Cake, and just realize that just having a bunch of guy friends and being into guy stuff is perfectly acceptable, and dating someone isn't going to validate you.

or maybe she wants to date because kissing is awesome??????

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I wonder if the chief demographic of this show is actually children watching Saturday morning cartoons, or teen/adults who just enjoy quality animation and martial arts stuff. Obviously the timeslot/network lean towards the former, but the show's following definitely resembles more of a cultish fanbase than a mainstream one.

It's entirely possible that they're expecting a more-than-usual online presence than a cable one, and thus trying to sell as many online passes as they can, even if it's by way of putting up the free version later. Hell, lots of shows do the exact same thing.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

or maybe she wants to date because kissing is awesome??????

"Avatar, do you think kissing hot dudes is more important than protecting the city?!"

"yes"

"well ok that's fair"

PNk1Ml4.png
This discussion has been closed.