As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New small server build, suggestions appreciated

WraithXt1WraithXt1 Registered User regular
Alright so here's the deal.

I built a small home server several years ago and it's finally about to die. It killed one hard drive and the SATA port for the third drive in my RAID doesn't appear to work anymore. The drive is fine.

I've been browsing around but I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for so I was hoping you guys could help.

I need to find a the smallest case possible that can fit four hard drives. One 1tb drive and three 2tb WD green drives for my RAID. Video cards aren't terribly important but I'd like something at least dual core so I can run my Ventrilo sever, Minecraft server and do anything else I need to do without worrying about it slowing down. Size is important so I can safely stick it in the corner of my room without having to worry about it. As of right now the mid tower I have is large and takes up too much space.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about what I should start with? It's been so long since I've dove into this stuff that I feel completely lost.

WraithXt1.png
WraithXt1 on

• Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    WraithXt1 wrote:
    Alright so here's the deal.

I built a small home server several years ago and it's finally about to die. It killed one hard drive and the SATA port for the third drive in my RAID doesn't appear to work anymore. The drive is fine.

I've been browsing around but I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for so I was hoping you guys could help.

I need to find a the smallest case possible that can fit four hard drives. One 1tb drive and three 2tb WD green drives for my RAID. Video cards aren't terribly important but I'd like something at least dual core so I can run my Ventrilo sever, Minecraft server and do anything else I need to do without worrying about it slowing down. Size is important so I can safely stick it in the corner of my room without having to worry about it. As of right now the mid tower I have is large and takes up too much space.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about what I should start with? It's been so long since I've dove into this stuff that I feel completely lost.

Firstly, feel free to ask this question in the PC build thread, some of us have experience building home servers/NAS.

As to your question, I'm assuming you're talking about building your own, and using Windows Home Server. For the case, consider the Fractal Design Array R2. Not the cheapest thing in the world, but it comes with a small form factor PSU that's perfectly suited for a low-power server build and (up to) 6 drives. There's also the Lian Li Q25, which has room for up to 7 drives, and takes regular sized PSUs, if that's important to you. The Q08 is an earlier iteration of the same type of case, with room for a 5.25 drive if you like.

As for the rest, there are passively cooled Intel Atom and AMD Fusion CPU+Motherboard combos out there. I'm not sure how much horsepower you need, but you can get both in dual core versions and both have integrated graphics (for initial setup) and generally have enough SATA ports for your needs.

• Options
    Both of thost look absolutely fantastic and are exactly what I was looking for.

I was actually going to just use the copy of Windows 7 Ultimate I had around, as I couldnt find a real reason to switch over to home server.

The priority of this drive is keeping all of my data safe, with a far distant second being a backup gaming rig to bring to LAN parties with me. The Fusion and Atom CPU's, if I'm not mistaken, are absolutely underpowered. Do you think it's worth bothering with those if I'm planning on doing light gaming at some point with this machine? On mini ITX motherboards I dont see room for video cards, so this might be a waste or breath for me.

As of right now my server is running the lowest end 4xxx series and I've used it a few times to loan out to people at LAN parties. I guess this requirement isnt that impotant. I really just want something small that I can use to back up my data...

WraithXt1.png
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I you want something this size with gaming potential, there are ITX boards out there with more PCI-E support. Is there a particular CPU you were looking at? Something like a 5770/6770 paired with a Sandy Bridge Pentium/Celeron would probably provide enough gaming oomph to be a "spare" PC if necessary. The Q25 or Q08 would be your best options in that situation, though, as the Array R2 really isn't designed to have the drive cage and a real video card installed at the same time.

Edit: Maybe something like this, with this and this.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Looking at the reviews that processor really isn't that bad is it? I've been running an i7 920 for three years now, do you think a dual core like that is going to be enough?

As I mentioned, this server is going to be running ventrilo, an FTP, a minecraft server, possibly a tf2 server and streaming music out to my desktop. Theres a small chance i might start hosting my website from it. All of this may not be running at the same time but the option of.it would be nice. Dual core in the age of quad and above scsres me. Its going to be on 100mbit down/up fiber here in japan so bandwidth is no concern.

edit: as far as video cards are concerned.I'd be happy with a low profile version of whatever the latest generation of cards are. 99% of the time it will.be running headless so gaming isn't a huge concern. If it can run BF3 at low resolution I will be happy.

WraithXt1 on
    WraithXt1.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Judging by what you want to do with the server, I would argue you should consider maybe going with something more conventionally sized. The modern ATX motherboards and processors have very good power efficiency and speed-stepping, which means that the system won't suck down power the whole time while it's just idling - but having 4 cores from something like an i5 processor will really help serve some of those application needs better.

You'll also want to get as much RAM as you can fit/afford. Minecraft in particular just loves RAM, and if anything's going to bottleneck you it'll be that.

It also has the benefit that normal sized components tend to be somewhat cheaper - it would be worthwhile working out what sort of power savings you really want to realize.

• Options
    Totally understand what you're saying, which is why the server is in a normal mid tower now. The issue is just space. I simply don't have room anymore and I can't get rid of it. That's why I'm turning to you.guys, was hoping to find some sort of solution to cramming all of those drives into a smaller package. Its been giving me trouble every time I try to build it out.

WraithXt1.png
  • Options
    I don't know what kind of horsepower you need to run game/vent servers. The Pentium will do well enough for file server tasks and light gaming though.

If your 920 is still in good shape, you could try to find an LGA1366 mini-ITX board to use with a new case.

• Options
    I think that's exactly what I'm going to do. I also have an older low end i5 which might be a good choice as well, even though it is dual core.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to consider them over the next week or two before I make the order.

WraithXt1.png
  • Options
    punkpunk Professional Network Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    I humbly submit the following for your consideration: HP ProLiant N40L MicroServer.

Unfortunately, I'm with Alecthar on this one...I have no idea how your TF2, Minecraft, Teamspeak, etc. servers would perform on the AMD Turion™ II Model Neo N40L this server has. But for a file server/NAS, it kicks some serious ass.

Also...what kind of RAID? That 1TB drive in with three 2TB drives will booger your total available storage in anything but a JBOD. And a JBOD isn't a real RAID. :P

• Options
    I love the N40L. I really wish I was aware of it before I went to all the trouble of building the monster I have right now. Actually, I wish I'd known about it back when I could have bought it and some drives for it at a price that didn't make me openly weep.

• Options
    punkpunk Professional Network Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    Alecthar wrote: »
    I love the N40L. I really wish I was aware of it before I went to all the trouble of building the monster I have right now. Actually, I wish I'd known about it back when I could have bought it and some drives for it at a price that didn't make me openly weep.

I was lucky enough to already have 2x 2TB drives, but when I built my small server I had to buy two more...$120 each. Ouch. :(

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    punk wrote: »
    I humbly submit the following for your consideration: HP ProLiant N40L MicroServer.

Unfortunately, I'm with Alecthar on this one...I have no idea how your TF2, Minecraft, Teamspeak, etc. servers would perform on the AMD Turion™ II Model Neo N40L this server has. But for a file server/NAS, it kicks some serious ass.

Also...what kind of RAID? That 1TB drive in with three 2TB drives will booger your total available storage in anything but a JBOD. And a JBOD isn't a real RAID. :P

Also JBOD is a bad idea anyway, since the failure mode is still potentially "little bits of lots of different files".

• Options
    punk wrote: »

Also JBOD is a bad idea anyway, since the failure mode is still potentially "little bits of lots of different files".

Fortunately, troubleshooting such a failure is very simple:

Step 1: Google "rebuilding JBOD array"
    Step 2: Weep