As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sean Bean was impaled in the making of this [CHAT]

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    is there anyone who wants to play mass effect 3 RIGHT NOW.

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular

I sent you, like, 3 invites dogg

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    And I just read about thieves using their scorpion wire to drag enemies off of keep walls and then kill them before they can run back inside.

That is what I want.

This sounds like some shit we use to do in DAoC. Curiosity peaked again.

Can thieves climb up walls stealthed, kill a healer and run away? Because that is what infiltrators did during keep sieges. It was pretty awesome.

Not sure if you can scale walls. I don't know of a skill that lets you do that.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »

sure

you are a liar and a cheat sir

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »

sure

you are a liar and a cheat sir

0d07a573-9d31-4e25-9cce-20fcc4a0e2e8.jpg

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    I'm trying to force my parents to see Cabin in the Woods.

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Hello everyone. Reports of Guild Wars 2's excellence were not exaggerated. The game needs a lot of work but the underlying premise and design is very sound. It definitely feels more like a regular game with MMO elements than a traditional MMO.

Combat.

Details.

Now.

(ok I know I'm not sarks but the missus and I have played it quite a bit this weekend)

I had never played GW1 going in or read more than basic info about the game on their website. Just wanted to see what the game itself had to offer without any preconceptions.

on the one hand, it's kind of hard to get a feel for the fine detail this weekend because every server is at max capacity. You can't hardly fight like trash mobs even without several people joining in. Usually it was so crowded you can't see much of whats going on so finesse was kind of out of the question.

It seems to be the case that every different type of weapon comes with a new set of different skills or spells (5 or so). EG: With my elementalist a wand-ish-thing was firing spells that were continuous zappy kind of arcs while switching to a staff was firing off discrete fireball esq projectiles. Or on my warrior a single handed sword had different moves than a gun or two handed warhammer.

The basic system seems to be MMO quickbar combat. However, there was a lot more timing and aiming issues going on to make it feel very different from WoW / TOR or LOTRO. You have the ability to dodge and some quickbar activated things are more area effects that require a bit of aiming than just targeted stuff.

Also, the camera and general speed of things (you can go from feelin' fine to dead very fast) made the whole thing very frentic. And when your hitpoints hit zero you don't just die but switch to a "try and save your own ass" desperation mode. Other players, regardless of their class or skills, can revive you in that state as well.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    The basic system seems to be MMO quickbar combat. However, there was a lot more timing and aiming issues going on to make it feel very different from WoW / TOR or LOTRO. You have the ability to dodge and some quickbar activated things are more area effects that require a bit of aiming than just targeted stuff.

The LoL/MOBA comparison is pretty apt - think of it like LoL, where you have five skills that depend on which weapon you have equipped.

Thieves get even more complex - they have different skill sets depending on if they have the weapon in the main or offhand, so dagger/pistol isn't the same as pistol/dagger.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    And I just read about thieves using their scorpion wire to drag enemies off of keep walls and then kill them before they can run back inside.

That is what I want.

Can thieves climb up walls stealthed, kill a healer and run away? Because that is what infiltrators did during keep sieges. It was pretty awesome.

In DAoC it was a passive and there places on the castle walls you could scale.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »

Tell them if they don't you will describe your latest sexual encounter in minute detail.

yeah. and with the elementalist you have 4 elements (fire, water, air, earth) each with their own spells per weapon.

The basic spells are the same, but the details change. So that AOE attack that does a burning dot in Fire attunement will instead give allies a small heal in Water attunement.

Echo wrote: »

The LoL/MOBA comparison is pretty apt - think of it like LoL, where you have five skills that depend on which weapon you have equipped.

Thieves get even more complex - they have different skill sets depending on if they have the weapon in the main or offhand, so dagger/pistol isn't the same as pistol/dagger.

yeah. and with the elementalist you have 4 elements (fire, water, air, earth) each with their own spells per weapon.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular

I want to, but alas, cannot.

Psn:wazukki

That is what I want.

In DAoC it was a passive and there places on the castle walls you could scale.

Yeah that's what I figured but I haven't done the WvW yet and I haven't seen that kind of interactivity with the walls in videos.

And now I am sleep, damnit. Night.

No more GW2 beta when I wake up. :<

Tell them if they don't you will describe your latest sexual encounter in minute detail.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

They don't need to hear about their little girl's organs being re-arranged.

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

hm. i guess that is one way to put it.

Exactly, they wouldn't dare call your bluff.

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular

WOW!

go onnnnn.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

hehehe

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

I didn't realize it was that good o.o

so overall GW2 isn't like something fundamentially new, you can clearly see where they are building on the MMO games that have come before, but it definetly feels like the first "next gen" MMO (very much unlike TOR which in terms of gameplay was such a dissapointinly shallow rehash of the WoW generation). This is the first MMO I've played that seems to be a real step forward with those basic mechanics.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    This is the first MMO I've played that seems to be a real step forward with those basic mechanics.

Yeah - you can clearly trace it back to traditional MMOs, but they're trying new and fresh things. And I like what I've seen so far.

...I can still be here! I'm brushing my teeth! Can't do that in bed!

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Neat! I do kind of wish it had Tera's combat. Of course I wish Tera had GW2's quest system.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    when does pandacraft come out

i want to craft pandas

so overall GW2 isn't like something fundamentially new, you can clearly see where they are building on the MMO games that have come before, but it definetly feels like the first "next gen" MMO (very much unlike TOR which in terms of gameplay was such a dissapointinly shallow rehash of the WoW generation). This is the first MMO I've played that seems to be a real step forward with those basic mechanics.

Yeah the framework is the same, with a massive world and quests and combat and grouping and exploration, whatever, but the way they go about each thing is pretty interesting and engages me in a way other MMOs never did. It just felt different as soon as I got a few levels in.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    @Inquisitor

Are you going to AX this year or are you going to be in real Japan-land by that time?

Neat! I do kind of wish it had Tera's combat. Of course I wish Tera had GW2's quest system.

Well in your own words I might call Guild Wars 2's combat a side grade on TERA's :P

Winky wrote: »
    @Inquisitor

Are you going to AX this year or are you going to be in real Japan-land by that time?

I will be at AX, currently not planning on hotelling it but ones of my friends really wants to and keeps bringing up a friend of ours that could get us a deal on rates. I'll miss two hours of one day due to some JET meeting I must attend but otherwise I will be there. i leave for Japan at the end of July.

When are you gonna end up in SanFran?

• LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    Do we have a @Quid around?

Got a Navy question.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »

hehehe

I needed a second look to catch that one.

sig.gif
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    GW2 looks interesting and I won't have to keep paying for it if I get it

but all my nerd friends are playing Tera

Well in your own words I might call Guild Wars 2's combat a side grade on TERA's :P

Getting so tired of that thread :(

Winky wrote: »

I didn't realize it was that good o.o

:winky:

Richy wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »

hehehe

I needed a second look to catch that one.

8->

did anyone else play any GW2 beta prior to this weekend or find a time when an area wasn't at max capacity with people?

I'm wondering how their version of the WAR "public quests" work when there are fewer people around. In WAR the answer was "they don't. fuck you". In GW2 do the monsters scale down or something so you can still do stuff when there aren't a bunch of other random people in the area at the same time?

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Leitner wrote: »

Got a Navy question.

Only use a cat o' nine tails in extreme criminal offenses.

If Tera didn't have the korean mmo grind formula I'd be pretty interested in it. But alas, it does.

Quid wrote: »
    Leitner wrote: »

Got a Navy question.

Only use a cat o' nine tails in extreme criminal offenses.

At sea, all offenses are extreme.

In GW2 do the monsters scale down or something so you can still do stuff when there aren't a bunch of other random people in the area at the same time?

It certainly scales up. I had an event in the Charr starting area where we had a fuckton of level 4-ish people and the single enemy champion scaled up to level 8 and wiped the floor with anyone that kept attacking him when he had his reflective shield up.

This discussion has been closed.