As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

HULK SMASH PUNY BOX OFFICE RECORDS!

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    I want Marvel Studios to give Warren Ellis the rights to write a script to a Marvel Property. Just give him a laptop and 40 cases of booze and stand back. If the results end up being Nextwave the movie I will throw my wallet so hard to Marvel that sound barriers will be broken.

it would be awful

7656367.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I would seriously love a direct to video Nextwave movie

• LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    BigDes wrote: »
    Do not go and see Avengers in 3D

It's pretty badly done in post conversion or whatever it is called.

I disagree with this. I saw it in 3D and thought it was pretty nicely done for a modification done in post. Yeah, it suffers from the layers effect where you essentially have several 2D characters at various depths, but it was easy to follow and not hard on the eyes at all.

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    take that, ancient mythology

0BnD8l3.gif
    I seriously don't understand what happened with Ebert's Thor review

he really liked Captain America

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Legba wrote: »

I disagree with this. I saw it in 3D and thought it was pretty nicely done for a modification done in post. Yeah, it suffers from the layers effect where you essentially have several 2D characters at various depths, but it was easy to follow and not hard on the eyes at all.

I don't know, it might be a shitty projector or my shitty eyesight, but I definitely saw a lot more blurring in this film than I saw in "proper" 3D films

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Yeah... the Destroyer was emphatically not killed by a sword through the spine.

like, they put a sword through the spine, and were distressed by the fact that it didn't kill him.

I wonder if Ebert didn't like the fact that the villains in Superman 2 were killed by a mere helicopter.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    How was Loki not charismatic?

Jesus Christ Ebert, he had more depth & character than Obadiah Stane ever displayed.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I want Marvel Studios to give Warren Ellis the rights to write a script to a Marvel Property. Just give him a laptop and 40 cases of booze and stand back. If the results end up being Nextwave the movie I will throw my wallet so hard to Marvel that sound barriers will be broken.

you and seven other people

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    When's Ebert gonna put up an Avengers review? Premiere was weeks ago.

Watch him be the third negative review.

His reviews don't usually go up until the day before a movie is in general release.

Also I will genuinely be surprised if he doesn't like it. Thor is the only Marvel movie he hasn't liked.

• LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Legba wrote: »

I don't know, it might be a shitty projector or my shitty eyesight, but I definitely saw a lot more blurring in this film than I saw in "proper" 3D films

To be fair, when I think "shitty post 3D" I think Clash of the Titans levels of bad.

But I saw Hugo a few weeks ago in 3D and I thought the 3D in The Avengers was much better. Maybe because it didn't do any of those "ooooh look things coming at you" things that 3D movies like to do.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Knowing SA it's probably a troll review.

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular

it would be awful

Also it wouldn't be out until 2043

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular

thor wasn't all that good, and cap was.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Thor would have been great without the goddamn love tumor plot and idiot college girl.

Look, Natalie Portman is cool and all. But when I go see Thor, I want to see things being hit by a hammer.
    The hammer in this case is NOT his penis.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    TyrantCow wrote: »

thor wasn't all that good, and cap was.

But Thor was great

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Ebert has a bad habit of turning off and not paying attention to anything Sci-fantasy. It's pretty much a recurring theme that at some point during anything Sci-fi (with the exception of Hard Sci-fi), he'll switch off and just stop caring enough to pay attention. His Thor Review is much like his Star Trek review, in that it reveals that he zoned out for bits of the movie he wasn't interested in, then blames the movie for his inattention.

Which is fair enough, as it's kind of his job as a critic, and it wouldn't really be an issue if he were honest in being aware of it and presenting his opinion as just that, an opinion. But he tends to try and pass himself off as an impartial authority, and therefore his personal opinion is objective fact, which is kind of galling. Is he a great repository of film knowledge and history, replete with access to research and an understanding of film far surpassing my own? Yes. Does that make his opinion the right one in every instance, even where he has a personal disinterest in the subject material? Far from it.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    I love thor

thor is better on a second viewing

and captain america, with all its montages, almost feels like a propaganda newsreel of a movie...and that makes me like it more

7656367.jpg
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    hey guys, this is happening at my university tomorrow, if anyone is in the area and wants to go.

http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/244836

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    uh this week's EMH did not feature much of the normal avengers and instead featured
    heroes for hire luke cage and iron fist

and they were fucking awesome

especially luke cage

poo
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I did not care for Thor

PNk1Ml4.png
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    http://www.imdb.com/news/ni27225844/
    Samuel L. Jackson struggled to remember his lines when he started shooting superhero action blockbuster The Avengers - because he could only recall half the script page.

The movie star admits the eye patch his character Nick Fury wears played tricks with his mind - and he eventually had to learn his lines with one eye covered.

He tells Entertainment Weekly magazine, "I was trying to remember my lines, but when I got there, I put the eye patch on and could only see half the page in my head.

"I didn't figure it out until halfway through the day. I had to take it (script), cover my eye, and relearn the lines... There was just something in my brain that wouldn't let me learn it with two eyes and then put the patch on and remember them. It was f**ked up."

Fucking brains, how do they work

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    emh was fantastic this week

especially with that not subtle at all yellowjacket nod

7656367.jpg
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

it would be awful

His Marvel anime projects with Madhouse are excellent.

In a superhero mood, but don't wan't to watch any Avengers lead-ins until I have a group.

Exactly how bad is Green Lantern.

very

7656367.jpg
    green lantern is fucking terrible

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Green Lantern is awful. Everything in it is badly executed.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I havent really been a big fan of superhero movies, but I loved this, it almost felt more believable because it was a world full of superheroes, as opposed to 'our' world with just one super dude in it.

Also that something awful review is weird, as I felt there was a lot of poignant and interesting stuff outside of the fact that the action and set pieces were amazingly framed and well done. Like, each line was an interesting little snippet of super-hero contemplation as well as believable as something the character would say.

Also this has had the best opening in Australia save the final Harry Potter, which is pretty crazy.

that won't improve it

7656367.jpg
    Guess I'll just save Lantern for a night that I have alcohol then.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Green Lantern is awful. Everything in it is badly executed.

I watched the DVD knowing it was bad, and it delivered. I really feel sorry for anyone who saw it in the theater and thus had some hope that it could be good.

Not only were the bad parts bad, but there were bad parts that planted an idea of how they could be cool, and then completely ignored that option and were full-out bad. Which is worse than being plain old bad.

That said, there's maybe... 20 minutes total of cool stuff in the movie, most of which is the training sequence.

KalTorak on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    In a superhero mood, but don't wan't to watch any Avengers lead-ins until I have a group.

Exactly how bad is Green Lantern.

watch cartoons

don't watch GL

poo
    green lantern is so bad even your pal tlb can't laugh at it

7656367.jpg
  • HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    emh was fantastic this week

especially with that not subtle at all yellowjacket nod

Cage and Iron Fist were great

Ultimate Spider-Man was alright, only because of Taskmaster

Alright, then.

I guess it probably is at least a misdemeanor that I've only seen a couple of episodes of Batman: The Brave and the Bold, so I'll get on to that once I finish studying for the night.

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    i agree with most of the criticisms in that something awful review but i didn't give a fuck about any of them

like, i do think the movie felt a bit limited in scope and loki didn't have quite enough to do

still fantastic though! because every other aspect was brilliant and unlike something awful guy i couldn't overlook that

so the take-home message is that if you actively dislike the avengers then The Avengers is probably not for you

Crimson King on
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i should probably watch Thor again

i didn't like it at all when I first saw it but I wouldn't be surprised if it was better the second time around

This discussion has been closed.