As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fly On] DCS A-10C / DCS Black Shark 2 / LOMAC: FC3 - Join us in the skies

• Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    MSFSX was great. Grab the gold edition, download some mods, and you now have a 20gb+ game installed :)

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    El Guaco wrote: »
    I saw this on Steam last night. With all the defaults and assists, this sim is ridiculously easy. I had to really push the planes to get them to stall.

My first "game" on a computer was MSF on an Apple IIc. I've seen many of the versions since then, and stopped buying because the franchise just never seemed to improve in terms of graphics or playability. Even with 3D cards, we still got flat ground with shitty textures. The game was ridiculously hard for anyone who had never flown a plane before. And once you got the hang of it, there was literally nothing interesting to do.

This addresses a lot of those issues, although it still has room to grow. The graphics are much improved, but the detail was still lacking even with settings maxed, but then this is a free to play game targeted at systems likely to want f2p games. The learning curve has been lowered and smoothed out considerably. I had no problems flying with a mouse and the controls were intuitive to someone used to WSAD gameplay. (I can't find my joystick at the moment.) The idea of flying missions and finding aerocaches is a novel idea that makes people want to come back to try new and interesting things. The list of awards and achievements is staggering and shows a lot of thought in how to incentivize people into playing often. (With the exception of dubious awards for crashing 100/1000 times.) The tutorials are a quantum leap ahead compared to the old ones. Having someone talk you through things while you're doing it is a big help, and the instructor sometimes takes care of things for you. It's a great way to learn without being punished with a nasty crash because you forgot to set the prop pitch correctly.

I could see myself buying some of the DLC simply because the first two planes are simple but boring. The Hawaiian locale was an awesome choice, IMO. Too often sims focus on large airports where there is little natural scenery. I guess it's cool to take off from busy airports, but once I'm up I want to see something other than Lego approximations of a few tall buildings.

The tutorials are a huge step back from FSX. I only saw 2 (maybe I'm missing some?), how to land on a runway and how to land on water. Granted, I haven't done the bi-plane stuff yet, and I think there's one to start it up. But there's soooo much to general aviation beyond landing. They're great landing tutorials for people that don't play a lot of flights sims, though (which is basically who this game is designed for).

I agree with the use of Hawaii as a good starting location. I'm not against their business model for this game, but it certainly doesn't replace FSX. Which is a shame, because I hear FSX runs like ass even on great computers, while MSF looks and runs great.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    FSX does run like ass. I think they're using a super modified version of the graphics engine from FS1998 or so. They added in trees and better buildings, but it always makes my computer chug-a-lug.
    I guess I'll have to get back into MSFS and see how Hawaii looks compared to MSF. I do like how MSFS does Taiwan and Hong Kong though.

• Options
    GlocjtGlocjt catstronaut in spaaace.Registered User regular
    Oh hey, the current version of the DCS: P-51D Mustang Flight Manual has been put up for download! And I guess there's a dev journal, too! Sweet.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Nice.

I'm currently out of commission due to the birth of our second child. At least as flight sims go. Too hard to concentrate.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    FSX certainly shows its age, but the ungodly modding capabilities of the engine probably don't help it (and you have the opposite situation with MSF).

My TrackIR 4 flat-out stopped working a few days ago--as oppose to just breaking when I look away and requiring a reset, it doesn't work period, so I put down the money for more when I realize that the mouse is literally the only other way to look around in FC2 (joystick hat is surprisingly inadequate, unlike in Il-2). Hoping TrackIR 5 is good, otherwise I'll probably return it and just get used to using a mouse.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Nice.

I'm currently out of commission due to the birth of our second child. At least as flight sims go. Too hard to concentrate.

Congratulations, now you have to make sure that this one learns how to fly an A-10.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Nice.

Congratulations, now you have to make sure that this one learns how to fly an A-10.

Thanks ;-)

And don't worry, both of my kids will be able to take the stick if I pass out or something.

• Options
    rook268rook268 Registered User regular
    Looks like some DCS: P51D beta footage has been posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4g0PmoQxMg

The graphics look pretty good, I might have to try this out.

• Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    Nice, looks fun! Those near misses were pretty scary.

• Options
    Tried out DCS: P51D a bit tonight. The cockpit and aircraft models are on par with Cliffs of Dover, I'd say. I think the terrain is done a little better in CloD, but DCS is still pretty good. The audio didn't sound the greatest, but that could be my settings. Overall, I liked it over the hour or so I played around with it.

You have to install DCS: World, which appears to be a hub app that Eagle Dynamics is going to use. P51D is a module for DCS: World. It sounds like you can install World for free, and you get the Su-25 to boot. It also looks like ED is going to allow third parties to develop modules for World. I saw in the ED forums that one developer has announced a MiG-21 module already. Looks like some interesting stuff will be coming out soon!

• Options
    rook268 wrote: »
    You have to install DCS: World, which appears to be a hub app that Eagle Dynamics is going to use. P51D is a module for DCS: World. It sounds like you can install World for free, and you get the Su-25 to boot. It also looks like ED is going to allow third parties to develop modules for World. I saw in the ED forums that one developer has announced a MiG-21 module already. Looks like some interesting stuff will be coming out soon!

Yeah, that's something they've been talking up for a little while. They want to use DCS as a hub that many different things interact with. They plan to have new planes be modules like the P-51D that just add on. I think they even plan to start adding some sort of dynamic ground war. Flaming Cliffs 3 is also coming out in the near future and will be part of that.

• Options
    So does DCS: A-10C and the whirlybird both plug into this DCS:World? So how much is the P51D module? Sorry for the questions but I'm at work and they block fun so on a 1990's super fast connection (dial-up).

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Got my new TrackIR, hurray. now to check out this DCS World.

• Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    So does DCS: A-10C and the whirlybird both plug into this DCS:World? So how much is the P51D module? Sorry for the questions but I'm at work and they block fun so on a 1990's super fast connection (dial-up).

I don't know if they currently do, but I think that's the plan.

P-51D Mustang can be pre-ordered for $40, which is ridiculous. I'll grab it when it's $10 or less.

• Options
    Why is $40 ridiculous?
    It looks like a lot of fun, with people.
    If I wasn't so antisocial, I'd probably go for it.

And maybe I've played a bit too much IL-2, but shouldn't the pilot in that video be going into more spinouts and stalls (I don't know the technical terms, sorry)?

• Options
    Why is $40 ridiculous?

Because to my understanding, all you get is that plane. Maybe $40 is reasonable for 1 add-on plane for you, but it isn't for me.

• Options
    It is understandable that they do an incredible amount of work on these and the market for such is small which might lead to the price tag. But for me I agree that $40 is a bit much to ask when I bought DCS A-10C for almost the same price.

Thanks for the info on the price as well.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Why is $40 ridiculous?

Because to my understanding, all you get is that plane. Maybe $40 is reasonable for 1 add-on plane for you, but it isn't for me.

It isn't. I wouldn't pay $40 for DCS: FW-190A8 or DCS: Ki-100. I'm certainly not going to pay that much for DCS: P-51.

With DCS: Black Shark, you were paying $40 (a little less for me, Amazon prices) for a whole new engine (at the time), and a helicopter simulation, which is exceedingly rare in this time period. No brainer.

With DCS: A-10, you paying for an addition to that engine (one aircraft), with additional missions. I wouldn't pay $40, but goodness knows people love the A-10, so I can understand why. It fits into the existing ecosystem.

With this latest effort, they're really stretching it, I'd say. And unless you plan to fly that P-51 against Fulcrums and Eagles and be obliterated before you even knew what happened, you're really settling for just one aircraft in an ecosystem, from what I understood. You'd really have to like that aircraft.

• Options
    I guess my perspective is off, then.
    I totally bought A-10 at launch for full price, and have no regrets.
    In comparison to IL-2 which I got for $40 with, what, 300 airplanes, then yeah, I guess it's a rip-off.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    This is only treating it chronologically. If you got into it right now, DCS: BS's primary advantage is that it's from a rare breed of helicopter simulation--as oppose to A-10 retreading the same ground (in the same aircraft, since Eagle Dynamics already had multiple games featuring the A-10, but none in the Black Shark). If you don't like helicopters, that's a liability more than anything.

In the North American market, I remember the usual gaming media (PC Gamer, etc.) absolutely clamoring for an American aircraft, so DCS: A-10 was a real treat. The community that got me into LOMAC was primarily Russian, so the community I followed wasn't any more interested in the A-10 then it would have been in DCS: Su-25, if that had come out). Hence why I still haven't bought it--my A-10 needs are met by FC2. But since I picked up DCS:BS on release, A-10 is more of just a mission and aircraft pack.

The reverse could be true. Especially since, in North America, I'd expect you'd get way more cases of people buying DCS: A-10 first.

EDIT: And yeah, DCS: P-51 has to compare to IL-2: 1946 and other incarnations. DCS:IL-2 wouldn't be an easier sell for me either, I only really got into the series around Forgotten Battles and the Pacific expansion.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Good point with your analogy for the DCS series as a whole Synthesis. For me since I was not interested in a helicopter sim DCS:BS didn't do anything for me, but DCS:A-10 did (for two reasons, I had a love affair with the plane when I was a kid and used to watch them fly over my city and it was a plane sim). So to me it felt like I was paying ED for the original development of the software and a plane since I don't have Black Shark.

It does make sense for them to once again charge $40 for essentially is DCS:P-51D but wonder how many enthusiasts they'll get to bite on it.

By the way, seeing your sig always makes me laugh.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    That's what it's there for. Orca really makes the joke.

That aside, DCS: FC2 really does everything, and more, I'd want from DCS: A-10--the inane detail in DCS:BS is tricky, and not always welcomed, and I don't need it for an A-10 that I've already played in literally a dozen other sims, if not more. I've had a long love-affair with the F-14D, but I don't know if I'd fork out $40 just for DCS:Tomcat-D.

Now, DCS:MiG-31? I'd pay $40 easy for that. It's a very rare aircraft in simulations (especially when you consider its still operational in two air forces).

• Options
    I could see paying $40 for a pack of like 5 WW2 planes, but not just 1, even though the Mustang is my favorite plane from that era. I don't equate value with how long or how much work it took to make. I equate it with what I receive, and I just don't see enough there to justify the price.

I feel differently about the A-10 because it is much more high tech. I've spent more time learning the targeting and weapon systems than I have just flying it. What is there to learn in the P-51? Prop feather and fuel mixtures? Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of IL-2 and WW2 air combat, but I think, at least for me, I would get bored pretty quick of just flying the P-51 around.

I'll totally buy it when it's $10 or less, though.

• Options
    What if it ends up being like FSX? Wherein there are tons of addons for it, and essentially you're only buying the graphics engine, weather, and physics modeling, with a demo plane thrown in for fun? That's kind of what it sounds like. If this has the expandability of FSX, where I can add nigh any propeller driven aircraft, I can see that easily being worth it.

• Options
    What if it ends up being like FSX? Wherein there are tons of addons for it, and essentially you're only buying the graphics engine, weather, and physics modeling, with a demo plane thrown in for fun? That's kind of what it sounds like. If this has the expandability of FSX, where I can add nigh any propeller driven aircraft, I can see that easily being worth it.

That would make the price easier to swallow, sure, but to my understanding it uses the same engine the other games use now.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

That aside, DCS: FC2 really does everything, and more, I'd want from DCS: A-10--the inane detail in DCS:BS is tricky, and not always welcomed, and I don't need it for an A-10 that I've already played in literally a dozen other sims, if not more. I've had a long love-affair with the F-14D, but I don't know if I'd fork out $40 just for DCS:Tomcat-D.

Now, DCS:MiG-31? I'd pay $40 easy for that. It's a very rare aircraft in simulations (especially when you consider its still operational in two air forces).

I just want to say that while I love FC2, the A-10 experience you get in DCS:A-10C is way cooler. The "inane" detail doesn't really get in the way of the experience, unlike BS - and that's probably because flying a single seat Russian attack helicopter seems way more complicated. Also, the upgrades that the A-10C received add a lot to the experience. Learning to use the new weapon and navigation systems was very enjoyable.

As far as $40 for the P-51, fuck that. I'm all about WW2 era stuff, but I want (semi)modern aircraft in my DCS. Give me MiGs, Su-25s, whatever :)

• Options
    I'd love a real sim of all the jet airplanes from WWII on to about 1980 or so. I mean, all the awful jet designs that everyone had as they were experimenting that spans the per-Korean war era til the end of the Vietnam era.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    krylon666 wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

I just want to say that while I love FC2, the A-10 experience you get in DCS:A-10C is way cooler. The "inane" detail doesn't really get in the way of the experience, unlike BS - and that's probably because flying a single seat Russian attack helicopter seems way more complicated. Also, the upgrades that the A-10C received add a lot to the experience. Learning to use the new weapon and navigation systems was very enjoyable.

As far as $40 for the P-51, fuck that. I'm all about WW2 era stuff, but I want (semi)modern aircraft in my DCS. Give me MiGs, Su-25s, whatever :)

I have to disagree--mostly because I have played DCS:A-10. The intense realism was overwhelming but appreciable in the Ka-50--I mean, it's not just a helicopter, it's a coaxial rotor helicopter. Hell yes it's going to be new and complex.

DCS:A-10C is still "I've been here and done this." I wouldn't turn it down for free, but I've still been doing this for 20 years. It's a lot deeper, but it's not fundamentally new. BS was pretty damn unprecedented. A-10C comes close, but not quite--and it really depends on how you feel about the particular aircraft.

If DCS:BS had ended up being something terribly overdone, like the F/A-18, for example, I would not have bought it full price.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    RoF is doing a half-off sale for their 3rd anniversary until the 12th. Half off everything that's been released so far.

• Options
    Since testsubject23 is supremely classy, I am now the proud owner of Take On Helicopters. Anyone else grab it in the daily (which is still going, $25)? I know striderj and Drake got it. Doesn't this have multiplayer? If so, add it to the pile of stuff we need to get games together for.

I haven't checked up on the game since the 1.03 patch. Looking now, they're apparently up to 1.05, and there's also some free DLC featuring some electronic artists I've never heard of and will probably hate, but hey, it's free!

• Options
    striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    Yup. I've been putting in a few hours. Been really busy getting house on market and now with constant showing and some repairs. Put in a few hours. They really tweaked the light model from the demo. considerably less twitchy Man flying virtual helis is stressful:) Unfortunately with the ponderous setup I got going right now one of my dogs sent my throttle pretty hard into the ground. I think I borked the microswitch:( but haven't looked into it deeply yet. Luckily don't need it for tkoh, but that kills me on anything with avionics:( Have to look into replacement part, but haven't even had the time to put in my new rotary yet so we'll c. Upgrade might be sometime in the future. I figure there is probably some kinda mp (actually I know there is as you have to select SP for the sp but not sure what it is. Next time I fire it up I'll take a look. Gotta look at that free dlc too:) You hear any feedback on hind?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I got gifted TKOH too and it's been pure pleasure for me. I'd forgotten what it was like to play a sim without having an entire nation trying to blow you out of the skies. The Time Trials are just pure dare devil good times, with lots of treetop flying and sharp banks around skyscrapers. A night time run through some hills at treetop height was a really intense one, Ursa Major was its name. A Bridge to Far is another that I really enjoy. I've tried out all the single player stuff now except for the Editor and I'm having fun with all of it, even the career mode's cheesey attempts at drama is getting smiles out of me even though it's pretty groan worthy most of the time. BIS made really nice use of their engine with the Heliport feature of career mode. You can walk around the heliport and talk with the various employees and your brother, visually inspect your helicopters to keep maintenance costs low and interact with various aspects of the sim like training missions and freeflight, where I need to spend more time learning how to make those feather-light touchdowns you see all the cool pilots make.

The flight model on the Trainee difficulty is pretty accessible. It offers enough realism to make the flying feel really meaty and exciting. The career mode and challenges give you piloting tasks that emphasize control and awareness, the time trials are about high speeds and close maneuvering and really put a demand on your feel for the cyclic and collective. It's really a complete evolution of the flight stuff in Arma2, and if this flight model is used by Arma in the future the helicopter pilots are about to get a new game.

• Options
    striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Did the landing training this evening. The last crowded area one is tricky. Took several tries to nail it but then went on a hover tour with circle strafing around things in Seattle (and found you can change the insertion point for Free flight YAY! - to bad can't start from the ground) and really felt my control was sharper. Sharper, not good:) Ended off the evening by landing in the baseball stadium. I project a fair amount of stick hours just to make landings on pads consistent. One thing I've noticed about bis is they are very good at designing games that fray the nerves:)
    Edit: Oh and that virtual instructor has nerves of steel.

striderjg on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Those Take On Noisecontrollers Time Trials haha wow. Just insane. I read something about somebodies music in the description of the DLC, but I was too busy clenching my anus to notice any.

• Options
    Microsoft Flight w/ all bundles is on sale for 16.99... and that still seems like too much. What the hell is with the "no cockpit included" shit? I was considering getting the Alaskan pack for awhile (since I usually fly bush planes in FSX - and Alaska has nice air strips for that) - but I'm not sure if Flight is going to offer me anything.

I'm hoping the Take On Helicopter games go in sale for a bit more. I really want to try it out.

• Options
    Wait, there's no cockpit included with the MSF DLC?
    So it's basically not worth it?
    It's tempting at $17, but I haven't even played MSF, just FSX, and I don't know if it's worth it. Downloading it now, but it will take a while.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Some have cockpits and some don't apparently.

The Maule M-7-260C seems to have one. There's a cockpit view in one of the screens on the store page and the bullet points don't have the "No Cockpit View" clause I've seen in the other DLC. This is good to know.

I've picked up the Hawaii DLC already, and I'm kinda toying with the idea of the Alaskan expansion and the Maule.

edit: It has this under it's own bullet points; Deluxe Aircraft: Explore virtual cockpits with working instruments, superb graphics, and flight models.

Drake on
  • Options
    To be honest, the ones that I was looking at, basically all the airplanes but the Maule (the P-47, P-51, Zero and Corsair) do not have cockpits.
    It also says the airplanes that come with the mission packs, the Piper Cub for instance, also doesn't have a cockpit.

• Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    I was a click away from buying the TrackIR 5 + TrackClip Pro yesterday. Still contemplating it, but I might want to upgrade my old 4890 card or processor first. The first-worldiest of problems, I know.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516