As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Game of Assholes, Season 2! The night is dark and full of spoilers

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I liked this episode just because it has what is as of now my favorite scene in the series
    Arya and Tywin's back and forth was fantastic. I don't know what it was but I just loved it.

Other than that, it there wasn't a lot to this episode. It was more set up like if the next episode was going to be big.

• HandfalconHandfalcon Registered User regular
    I saw that Roy Dotrice was a guest star tonight but don't know who he was. Loved his readings of the first three books. Any ideas who he was?

steam_sig.png
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Handfalcon wrote: »
    I saw that Roy Dotrice was a guest star tonight but don't know who he was. Loved his readings of the first three books. Any ideas who he was?

the pyromancer dude

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    won't be watching tonight's episode until tomorrow, but something occurred to me that they had better introduce soon

foreshadowing for end of book 2 spoiler:
    Has Tyrion started work on the chain yet?

• SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Loving the Arya time this episode.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I loved Jaqen in this episode

for real, that dude is DESTROYING that role

• SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I wonder if people who haven't read the books are super confused by how he speaks.

It is a unique phrasing.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    My friend didn't read the books, and he loves him just as much.

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    they probably just assume he's from foreign

• YarYar Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

the pyromancer dude

Who was awesome. "I've never attempted that experiment."

• JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    Yar wrote: »

the pyromancer dude

Who was awesome. "I've never attempted that experiment."

Our work does not involve horseshit! Or some such.

And god damn, Tyrion kills EVERY SCENE he's in.
    The line that was like "I don't hold you against her" when he was talking to Cersei was glorious.

And @Fearghaill, I was wondering that same thing.

They haven't mentioned it at all...I wonder if The Battle is going to occur without it. It might be too confusing to try to show it, when really, they might not need it.
    The bulk of the damage from the wildfire happens before the chain keeps the ships in - namely, when they ram the ships that are completely filled to the brim with wildfire. That could be the big coupe de grace of the scene, and then the chain is less important. I guess we'll see though.

As a separate point, on re-reading book 2:
    I was surprised just how fast Theon's take over of Winterfell went bad. It was like...1 or 2 viewpoint chapters at the most before he ended up butchering the mill kids...Interesting stuff though.

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Goose! wrote: »
    I liked this episode just because it has what is as of now my favorite scene in the series
    Arya and Tywin's back and forth was fantastic. I don't know what it was but I just loved it.

Other than that, it there wasn't a lot to this episode. It was more set up like if the next episode was going to be big.

That scene was incredible. I loved this episode.

Darric on
  • ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular

Fully agree, amazing scene.
    It's like Arya gave Tywin a subtle threat and he totally picked up on it, but didn't care, and just smirked back at her.

Otherwise, mostly just a solid episode. Glad to see Dagmar made it in, Tyrion and Bronn both rocked it as usual, but then Bran was bland (Bran the Bland, I like it) and the party scene at Qarth was just weird. The Dothraki plotting how to steal the statue was hilarious, but Christ people kept popping in from the side. Just as soon as you get rid of Nosferatu, some creepy bitch in a mask pops up.

Also, regarding a scene that SHOULD be in next week's episode...
    Joffrey better get hit with the turd. That was the single funniest scene in all of the books, so it better be on TV. Joffrey gets turd slapped or we riot.

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Comradebot wrote: »

Fully agree, amazing scene.
    It's like Arya gave Tywin a subtle threat and he totally picked up on it, but didn't care, and just smirked back at her.

Otherwise, mostly just a solid episode. Glad to see Dagmar made it in, Tyrion and Bronn both rocked it as usual, but then Bran was bland (Bran the Bland, I like it) and the party scene at Qarth was just weird. The Dothraki plotting how to steal the statue was hilarious, but Christ people kept popping in from the side. Just as soon as you get rid of Nosferatu, some creepy bitch in a mask pops up.

Also, regarding a scene that SHOULD be in next week's episode...
    Joffrey better get hit with the turd. That was the single funniest scene in all of the books, so it better be on TV. Joffrey gets turd slapped or we riot.
    Joffrey getting hit with the turd, Tyrion kicking his ass once they get indoors, and the Hound coming in saying "if anything's happened to that horse someone will pay" need to be in. That entire scene is one of my favorites from all of book 2. I'm pretty sure the Joffrey ass kicking is in for sure but I don't know about the other two. The Hound hasn't been getting a lot of screentime so I'm worried they'll cut his lines.

Lancel's actor is pretty hilarious too. When GoT gets recut into a buddy comedy, Lancel is going to be the Donny of Bronn and Tyrion's bowling team.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    PaPa wrote: »
    I was sad that they cut the moment with the peach, particularly as leaving it out precludes having the bit with Stannis talking about it later. That bit adds a lot to Stannis' character.

They've streamlined Stannis into being a straight up douchebag from all the stuff they've cut, it's kind of annoying since he's one of my favorite characters but eh it's the show what are you going to do.

• DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Is anyone else starting to get really worried about (book 2)
    the lack of Meera and Jojen?

Darric on
    Darric wrote: »
    Is anyone else starting to get really worried about (book 2)
    the lack of Meera and Jojen?
    I think Osha is effectively replacing them, either for the entire series or till the beginning of s3/end of s2.

• blakeblake Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hello. Person who hasn't read the books here.
    At our viewing party, everyone was fucking flabbergasted that Renly died just like that, including me.
    Brienne is badass.

Oh shit what's his name really killed the torturer.

What really surprised me is that there is actual use of magic stuff in this series. None of that in season 1, except for white walkers and dragons (which I could find plausible in a non-magic universe)

Warlocks. Dude there are warlocks. He's creepy. We were all creeped out.

I liked the exploration of how hard it is for Khaleesi to maintain her image of a conqueror, especially when that guy unveils his clout in the form of tons of money.

I felt this episode had the most things "happen" so far in season 2.

blake on
    What kind of bees make milk?
    Boobees!
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Started two new Sovereign games with the turn deadline set to 1 day, one public, one private.

http://sovereign.public.is/index.jsp

Private one is Arcadian Invasion??? with the password wang.

Public one is Fyndir's FAST Game and has no password.

Anyone that wants to get some quicker moving games going come join them.
    I have no idea what the turn deadline actually does to people who go past it, I'm just hoping the knowledge that it exists will motivate people to check the game more frequently and keep it moving.

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    If we set up a time in which we will all be online then maybe we could do a live session type thing

those are fun

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I have joined it.

Fearghaill wrote: »
    won't be watching tonight's episode until tomorrow, but something occurred to me that they had better introduce soon

foreshadowing for end of book 2 spoiler:
    Has Tyrion started work on the chain yet?
    There wasn't really mention made of it yet, but they did only just start talking about the possibility of an attack this episode

blake wrote: »
    At our viewing party, everyone was fucking flabbergasted that Renly died just like that, including me.
    Brienne is badass.

What really surprised me is that there is actual use of magic stuff in this series. None of that in season 1, except for white walkers and dragons (which I could find plausible in a non-magic universe)

I liked the exploration of how hard it is for Khaleesi to maintain her image of a conqueror, especially when that guy unveils his clout in the form of tons of money.

To be fair, this is definitely the kind of world where just because you SAY you're a warlock doesn't mean you can actually do anything besides parlor tricks.

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Holy shit, I'm six minutes in and holy fucking shit.

• Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Book 5 Spoilers, I guess? Should I put this in the other thread? I DON'T EVEN KNOW ANYMORE.
    Damn it, I need to stop rereading DwD.

So much bad shit going on at the end, and Winds of Winter is still a while off.

[IMG][/img]
  • IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    blake wrote: »
    Brienne is badass.

To be fair, this is definitely the kind of world where just because you SAY you're a warlock doesn't mean you can actually do anything at all.

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    What?!?! The Iron Men sail cogs? Outrage! Sacrilege!

There can be no iron price paid by a man who takes his house to sea.

Fuck off and die.
  • JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »

What was happening in the beginning of the episode? I can't even remember.

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    JustTee wrote: »
    Gatsby wrote: »

What was happening in the beginning of the episode? I can't even remember.
    Renly dies

thenews.jpg
  • ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    What?!?! The Iron Men sail cogs? Outrage! Sacrilege!

There can be no iron price paid by a man who takes his house to sea.

Yes, that annoyed me. They're supposed to sail awesome ass longships, because they're the Westeros equivalent of freakin' Vikings.

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Whoa whoa whoa now

next episode preview (book 2 spoilers)
    Jon and Qhorin seem to stumble on Ygritte and her party next week. Really? It's only episode 6. Is Jon just gonna chill with the wildlings and walk to Mance for the rest of the season after that?

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Whoa whoa whoa now

Jon and Qhorin seem to stumble on Ygritte and her party next week. Really? It's only episode 6. Is Jon just gonna chill with the wildlings and walk to Mance for the rest of the season after that?
    As well as Osha has been doing humanising the Wildlings I always kinda of wanted more exploration of all that stuff, so if that's the way they're going I'd be okay with it.

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    SwissLion wrote: »
    Whoa whoa whoa now

As well as Osha has been doing humanising the Wildlings I always kinda of wanted more exploration of all that stuff, so if that's the way they're going I'd be okay with it.
    this is also, as far as I can remember, the first chance to shed some light on the whole warg thing, plus I imagine they'll want to spend some time setting up mance rayder, since the show has had less of that than hte book so far

then again, maybe they'll just drop jon from the show for three episodes

thenews.jpg
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    So what's the deal with Jojen and Meera if Bran's the Greenseer Supreme?

[IMG][/img]
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Reek also hasn't been cast. Winterfell will still be standing after episode 10. Jojen and Meera will presumably meet up with them early next year.

sig.gif
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

Book 2/3, following
    I'm hoping they show up next season to help Bran on the way north. The show writers said they were saving some characters to introduce next year instead of this year.

Darian on
    Reek also hasn't been cast. Winterfell will still be standing after episode 10. Jojen and Meera will presumably meet up with them early next year.
    I have every confidence that the crew knows what they're doing.

That said, I still question some of their decisions, and those doubts aren't helped when producers on the show compare Qhorin to NFL superstars.

[IMG][/img]
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    wait who was that lady who talked to Jorah at the party and was that in the books?

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Ubik wrote: »
    wait who was that lady who talked to Jorah at the party and was that in the books?

I wondered the same thing.