As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Gesundheit; Sneeze of Mystery

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    AoW look so cool but a lot of them have really tiny bits that need attaching.
    Like the Dark Eld sorceress's dragon has a separate head.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    I want all the Avatars of War Dark Elf Characters, but I really don't need them.

But they're so coooooool.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
    I almost forgot, Yellow Submarine had ancient editions of Blood Bowl and Dungeon Bowl as well.
    Ancient enough to not come with any miniatures, just cardboard counters. This was before even my time.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Went into my FLGS to grab some paints, and saw this. I've wanted this for ages, and sicne I got a new job, it's a present to myself. I think I'll use it as my Lahmian caster lord. I was going to use it as unit filler, but it's too awesome for that. Caster lord works - high stats represented by there being two of them, very striking model and easy to see.

Also, the 'banner' has more casting flaws than all 6 of my finecast models. All fixable, but so many flaws.

359492_sm-.JPG

• mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    So I worked with my first Finecast mini today, an Empire Warrior Priest.

All of the PA bros in the area helped me pick one out that didn't look mangled, and I just had to clean up a ton of flash. Surprisingly, the mold lines were less cooperative than plain plastic for me. The Priest's hammers were all bent out of shape, and just like I knew would happen, I broke one trying to bend it into shape. Superglue took care of it though, and I have to admit the detail on the mail and stuff looks amazing!

Overall, I'm cautiously optimistic about Finecast. Also, the Pistoliers are assembled and I'm almost done with my Militia. I don't care what anyone says about Militia; 6 points for a pair of S3 attacks makes them great detachment options.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    There's nothing like perfectly flanking with Militia to watch them fail to generate a single wound. The worst was when I ran them into the side of a Warriors of Chaos block and actually lost CR on the deal because so many died.

Chaos Warriors are boss as fuck though

Yeah, I don't care how many base attacks they have...smashing them into a block of T4 duders with 3+ or 4+ saves seems...irresponsible.

• MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    I'm sure Sigmar appreciated their sacrifice, regardless.

snm_sig.jpg
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    mr_mich wrote: »
    So I worked with my first Finecast mini today, an Empire Warrior Priest.

All of the PA bros in the area helped me pick one out that didn't look mangled, and I just had to clean up a ton of flash. Surprisingly, the mold lines were less cooperative than plain plastic for me. The Priest's hammers were all bent out of shape, and just like I knew would happen, I broke one trying to bend it into shape. Superglue took care of it though, and I have to admit the detail on the mail and stuff looks amazing!

Overall, I'm cautiously optimistic about Finecast.

You might notice later, but that superglued joint on the axe is going to be stronger than the rest of the resin. Finecast takes superglue really well. It won't break in the same place twice.

Also, I found that the texture of the resin feels better to paint. Not sure way, because after priming it shouldn't make a different, but painting finecast just felt nicer on the brush.

Fuck rummaging through shelves for a non shitty cast though, that always sucks. I went through an entire stores supply of female vampire lords only to find the exact same miscast on every single one.

-Loki- on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Hey guys I bought a metal mini the other day and there were no holes in it and when I saw the sword was bent I fucking bent that shit back. It doesn't feel like a flimsy toy!

Amazing!

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    A quick bath in just-warmer-than-tap water will allow you to bend Finecast back in to shape (if it doesn't just naturally do so). It'll cool in a few seconds and be as solid as before. I've found it easier to get stuff straighter than with metal.

snm_sig.jpg
  • LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    Morskittar wrote: »
    A quick bath in just-warmer-than-tap water will allow you to bend Finecast back in to shape (if it doesn't just naturally do so). It'll cool in a few seconds and be as solid as before. I've found it easier to get stuff straighter than with metal.

Not to mention you're not going to be weakening the metal where you bend it like you are with metal. Also because finecast has a little give in it, it is less likely to bend out of shape once you've got it where you want it.

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hey guys I bought a metal mini the other day and there were no holes in it and when I saw the sword was bent I fucking bent that shit back. It doesn't feel like a flimsy toy!

Amazing!

Hey guys I bought a finecast mini the other day and the detail is amazing and I didn't have to spend 25 minutes drilling holes into each goddamned joint for it to not fall apart at the slightest touch!

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Farangu on
    I still prefer plastic to Finecast, which is ok, that's not what it's replacing. I totally prefer Finecast to metal though. Except for prices, because lolgw.

That being said, the superglue was really uncooperative at first with the broken axe/hammer thing. It just would not dry/stick. On the 3rd attempt, it dried like a rock though and now that thing isn't going anywhere.

• SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular

Amazing!

have fun when the sword breaks off because you've permanently damaged it I guess? :P

I may end up making my Empire army entirely Greatswords. If only because they're the least mold-line covered model I've dealt with in the range so far.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Asher wrote: »
    I want all the Avatars of War Dark Elf Characters, but I really don't need them.

But they're so coooooool.

I have the naughty sorceress and female witch elf/warlord
    Sadly I can maybe use one of them outside of the house

• mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    Are we still doing the Failcast *pushes glasses up* thing

It is progress, people.

E26cO.jpg
    edited May 2012
    It's evolution, some people get left behind (the people who play fantasy)

SJ on
  • riven5riven5 Registered User regular
    So is there any real value to Outriders over Pistoliers? At first I thought they were a straight up upgrade, but now that I see their equipment, I wonder. Pistoliers do the whole "fast cavalry" thing pretty damned well, while the Outriders are effectively stuck either moving or shooting. I'm not sure that's the right spot I want fast cav to be in. Or am I missing something?

I'm pretty sure the point of the Fast Cav tag on Outriders is that they can Vanguard. You're basically supposed to use them as forward-scouting Handgunners, with BS4. That being said, they're still super fragile and all it takes is one bored Wizard to throw a magic missile at them. And when you lose one, you lose 3 shots...

I built mine as Pistoliers cause the idea of them flying up the flanks and harassing units seems more fun. Mathematically, they'll probably kill 1-2 models/game.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Also, pistoliers.

How could you not take them?

Now that I've drank the Trois Pistoles beer, I feel obligated to give each of my pistoliers a 3rd pistol.

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Pistol codpiece.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    I mean, they include pistol bits to put on their legs...

edited May 2012
    Pistol codpiece.

Tom Savini beat you to it. And he's 100x more awesome than you could ever hope to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jts0xxg7P8I

Dr_Keenbean on
    edited May 2012
    double post.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • armageddonboundarmageddonbound Registered User regular
    I loved pistoliers in 7th edition, I hit on 5's more often, and I was able to march block. Now the range is longer, but you suffer -1 for long range...and you have to be really lucky to get a march block off.

I prefer outriders in every way. With the vanguard move you can shoot on the first turn. 5x2 formation will provide 30 shots, even a smaller formation like 4x2 gives a nice 24. Yes they are move or shoot, but they are extremely mobile and can easily be moved into a position to get multiple rounds of firing at a unit. Forcing a good amount of casualties on them, or forcing them to come at the outriders, thus diverting them from the main battle. You can flee and rally with a musician quite easily. They can be vulnerable to armies with lots of missile fire, but other than that they even end up being points denial simply because they can get away from almost anything. In my humble opinion, they are the only viable BS troops (other than archers, but those are really for utility, not their actual fire).

• Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    I feel like I need to buy another 4 boxes of Island of Blood. IMO, I need to buy all the units for my army, build them, paint them, and set them up all at the same time or they may not come out looking quite right.

Is there a game like mordheim in theme and mechanics? Not any of them weird sci fi games or horror miniatures or anything like that.

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Prolly not, i don't thik there is anyting out there with the same type of mechanics.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

How about just in theme?

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    uhhh, I know there is a pirate themed small scale skirmish game out there right now that might fit the bill, along with Malifaux. Are really the only 2 I can think of.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    Hey guys... another few random questions before I play my first game of Fantasy on Saturday (well, first game in 7 years).

Lore of Death - Spirit Leach
    1) The spell says it uses the targets unmodified leadership, however I am not sure what counts as a modification. Say that both a general and a mage are in a unit, if you target the mage then it has to use its own leadership values and not those of the general - correct?

2) What about if a BSB is nearby, would the target get the reroll from the BSB rules? (I would assume not)

3) Finally, I have seen some sites say that "Doom and Darkness" is a great synergy for Spirit Leach as it lowers the LD value. However the -3LD counts as a "modification" wouldn't it and so would not be used here?

Battle Reports
    4) Is there any nice software (free or otherwise) that can create Battle Report "maps". By that I mean the little diagrams with boxes for each unit, and arrows showing where they moved etc? If not I can create something in Paint.NET I am sure, but didn't want to reinvent the wheel if I didn't have too.

• skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Khade97 wrote: »
    Hey guys... another few random questions before I play my first game of Fantasy on Saturday (well, first game in 7 years).

Lore of Death - Spirit Leach
    1) The spell says it uses the targets unmodified leadership, however I am not sure what counts as a modification. Say that both a general and a mage are in a unit, if you target the mage then it has to use its own leadership values and not those of the general - correct?

2) What about if a BSB is nearby, would the target get the reroll from the BSB rules? (I would assume not)

3) Finally, I have seen some sites say that "Doom and Darkness" is a great synergy for Spirit Leach as it lowers the LD value. However the -3LD counts as a "modification" wouldn't it and so would not be used here?

These questions are near and dear to my heart.

1) This is unclear. I lean towards using the general's LD (go go TK LD 10), but there is no Internet consensus and no FAQ directly addressing it since the one below is specific to Leadership tests, which this isnt.

2) It's a test that incorporates LD, not an actual leadership test, so no BSB.

3) Doom and Darkness does not effect Spirit Leech.

Relevant BRB FAQ Entry:
    Q: When taking a Leadership test, sometimes you have to take it on
    your unmodified leadership. What is your unmodified leadership?
    (p10)
    A: Your unmodified Leadership is the highest Leadership
    characteristic in the unit. Do not include any modifiers from
    any source, for example, Strength in Numbers, Inspiring
    Presence or the Doom and Darkness spell.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    But if you can't use Inspiring Presence, you can't use the general's leadership. So unmodified leadership is what your army book lists that unit's leadership as.

• skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Inspiring Presence is different from the highest Leadership characteristic in the group. The FAQ saying you can't use Inspiring Presence means the general can't offer the ranged LD boost, he has to be in the same unit.

IP:
    Providing that the General is not fleeing, all friendly units within 12" use his Leadership instead of their own
    Unit:
    Leadership tests are always taken using the highest value present in the unit. In the case of a combined unit, this will normally be the character, but might occasionally prove to be the rank and file of the unit themselves, particularly in the case of elite warriors.

So, prior to the most recent BRB FAQ, you used the LD in the rulebook cause Spirit Leech isn't a LD Test. With the FAQ entry I posted above, it muddies the waters. Thus there being no consensus, like I said. :)

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
    Is there a game like mordheim in theme and mechanics? Not any of them weird sci fi games or horror miniatures or anything like that.

gorka morka duh

as far as theme goes though... basically no

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Crossposting from the art thread, I'm building my ogre maneaters unit, and have 2x as many ninjas as any other model, so here both of them are:
    This is standard guy: a really nice model, but not something you want to see again and again in a unit with as much character as man eaters.
    ninja001.jpg
    So I had to make #2 neat
    ninja002.jpg
    ninja004.jpg
    And man, I loooooooooooooooooooooooooooove FINECAST! Such gorgeous looking models, and just thinking about what it would've taken to do that conversion in metal makes me want to slam my dick with a hammer. Aside from the greenstuff, I barely had to do anything beyond dunking the dude in hot water, bending his arms and fingers into position, and dousing him with cold to make the pose stick.

Gabriel_Pitt on
This discussion has been closed.