As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[A Song of Ice and Fire, Books and Books+Show] Touch this thread and all shall be spoilt

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    One thing about this episode is that it highlights what has always been one of the more frustrating things in the series for me.
    Arya is a smart girl, why she chose not to have Jaquen kill Tywin, the mountain, or Joffrey has always perplexed me.

Heisenberg on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    One thing about this episode is that it highlights what has always been one of the more frustrating things in the series for me.
    Arya is a smart girl, why she chose not to have Jaquen kill Tywin, the mountain, or Joffrey has always perplexed me.

Because she's like, nine.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular

My take on this:
    I always figured Arya was a little skeptical about the reliability of Jaqen's gift to her. I suspect in her case, she figured she'd focus on targets that seem at least reasonably feasible. After all, she doesn't really know at this point what Jaqen really is and just how capable he really IS of delivering on his promise. At this point, to her Jaqen's just some unusually capable killer, so sending him after someone like Tywin probably seems crazy.

In any case, yeah I officially love maisie williams. She's perfect as Arya. Perfect.

My take on this:
    I always figured Arya was a little skeptical about the reliability of Jaqen's gift to her. I suspect in her case, she figured she'd focus on targets that seem at least reasonably feasible. After all, she doesn't really know at this point what Jaqen really is and just how capable he really IS of delivering on his promise. At this point, to her Jaqen's just some unusually capable killer, so sending him after someone like Tywin probably seems crazy.

In any case, yeah I officially love maisie williams. She's perfect as Arya. Perfect.

Yeah, that works.

• poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular

My take on this:

Yeah, that works.
    I agree with this, plus the usual GRRM 'people are just people'. Arya, as awesome as she is, is still just a kid. She thinks more about the mean guy who beats her than political threats.

And this is yet another 'life is not a song' moment. Arya's cool, but she's no ninja.

Y'know, if you think about it, GRRM has cojones of titanium. His whole series is based on 'life is not a song', a repudiation of traditional fantastical and allegorical tropes - which really means 'this story is not a story'. Even Dany being able to get away with noble things that get Starks killed is part of that - that shows that these books are not a cynical allegory on how honour is for fools. Sometimes, being honourable and moral works out. Sometimes not. That's life.

Despite the long waits and the slowness of AFFC and ADWD, still my second-favourite book ever.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Every single departure from the books this episode was flatly worse than the original text.

Disappointing.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I always imagined Xaro as a little more flamboyant than he's being portrayed currently. That and much flashier, isn't he supposed to have jewels embedded in his face?

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

My take on this:

It's a nice attempt to fanwank some greater insight out of it, but it's wrong.

In the book, she flat out facepalms when Tywin shows up at Harrenhal and realises who she should have saved the deaths for.

She's nine and wasn't thinking of the bigger picture.

• HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It fits perfectly for the show. Plus:
    Tywin's death would put her in jeopardy, as he's the reason she remains alive and untortured. She's not thinking like a child, she's thinking like a human interested in self-preservation. Plus, so far there's no indication that her brother needs any help on the war front.

Hoz on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So, the way I read things, there are a grand total of four (maybe five?) things going on in Westeros:

1) Winter is Coming.
    2) The Lannister Coup.
    3) Littlefinger's Scheme. Which we don't understand the full implications of at the moment, but mostly involves all the traditional houses being dead, especially the Starks. And probably him being King.
    4) Varys' Plot to Restore the Targaryens (preferably in a form that won't fuck the realm).
    (Maybe 5, though it plays into Varys) Doran Martell's Exceedingly Patient Revenge

I think basically everything flows from one of those five things. Varys has (at least, knowing him it's probably more) two options, the person who was groomed from birth for the throne or the person who has been getting all kinds of practical experience at ruling for her four books. Dany's entire story is about learning to be a good ruler. Which is the whole point of the series so... I feel like she's kind of important. The Westeros plot is about a bunch of people who shouldn't and why that's so (except Doran, Varys, and the Queen of Thorns), and Jon/Dany are about learning to rule, or what actually works. Which they're mostly learning by failure, but still!

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited April 2012
    Dany and Victarion are major players, but how their paths continue is anyone's guess. She has fully grown dragons and he has an unstoppable fleet.

I'm interested in what's next for Stannis, Theon, Asha, and Davos. If Stannis beats the Bolton's and takes Winterfell, that would allow him to recover his probably dismal force with time. Still, with the likes of Dany, Victarion, Littlefinger, and Varys... his days are few.

Heisenberg on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    So, the way I read things, there are a grand total of four (maybe five?) things going on in Westeros:

1) Winter is Coming.
    2) The Lannister Coup.
    3) Littlefinger's Scheme. Which we don't understand the full implications of at the moment, but mostly involves all the traditional houses being dead, especially the Starks. And probably him being King.
    4) Varys' Plot to Restore the Targaryens (preferably in a form that won't fuck the realm).
    (Maybe 5, though it plays into Varys) Doran Martell's Exceedingly Patient Revenge

I think basically everything flows from one of those five things. Varys has (at least, knowing him it's probably more) two options, the person who was groomed from birth for the throne or the person who has been getting all kinds of practical experience at ruling for her four books. Dany's entire story is about learning to be a good ruler. Which is the whole point of the series so... I feel like she's kind of important. The Westeros plot is about a bunch of people who shouldn't and why that's so (except Doran, Varys, and the Queen of Thorns), and Jon/Dany are about learning to rule, or what actually works. Which they're mostly learning by failure, but still!

Yup. Dany's entire arc plays right into the series major theme about the nature of leadership.

She also fits in perfectly with the rest of the 2nd half of the series, which is looking to be a sort of "everyone invades Westeros" kind of deal. The first 3 books were basically the internal power players bashing each other to pieces and now the external ones are jumping in since everyone is weak.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I was a little annoyed
    that Renly died out of armor. The armor is how Jaime reasons Loras into believing that Brienne was not the killer, but in the very next scene Loras doesn't believe it was Brienne, so it's all well and good.

Arya
    has a giant set of balls on her. "Anyone can be killed" to Tywin Lannister's face.

reVerse on
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Dany and Victarion are major players, but how their paths continue is anyone's guess. She has fully grown dragons and he has an unstoppable fleet.

I'm interested in what's next for Stannis, Theon, Asha, and Davos. If Stannis beats the Bolton's and takes Winterfell, that would allow him to recover his probably dismal force with time. Still, with the likes of Dany, Victarion, Littlefinger, and Varys... his days are few.

Hmm I think it might be a mistake to underestimate Stannis like that. He's no fool, he's tough, he doesn't have the kind of mentality that gets played by the likes of Littlefinger trying to mess with his head, and above all, he's relentlessly pragmatic*.

Plus he has the red priestess on his team which is... kind of a big deal.

It's an interesting mental exercise to extrapolate how Stannis would have dealt with the Meereenese Knot - I think that sequence would have been a lot shorter...

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    So I am listening to the audiobooks while working out - it is my way of catching up.

They are read by Roy Dotrice (Well, 1-3, and 5 are - 4 was read by someone else).

Roy in many ways made listening to the series more visceral for me. He has an old, rough british voice that really just drove the creepiness home whenever he described some of the awful stuff people were doing, or the graphic sex scenes; It is absolutely the WRONG voice to hear the line "Her mouth was as warm and as wet as her cunt" - I don't know if there is a right voice for that line, but sure as shit wasn't Roy's.

That said, he IS the voice of Westeros for me at this point - the guy reading Book 4 just isn't cutting it; I'm glad he is coming back to read 5 and whatever else is going to be released after.

And now, Roy is playing the Chief Pyromancer on the TV series, which is really cool.

Sorry for the ramble, there just isn't another place on the forum for me to post this.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • BoognishBoognish Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Dotrice actually went back and read A Feast for Crows.

Boognish on
    3DS: 5026-4424-9805
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Boognish wrote: »

Who has two thumbs and will probably listen to book 4 again before going to the 5th one?
    Not Jaime Lannister, that's for damn sure

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    He actually auditioned for the role of Pycelle in the beginning but couldn't do it because of health reasons I think.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »
    And this is yet another 'life is not a song' moment. Arya's cool, but she's no ninja.

Actually that's the only problem I have with Arya.
    Her life *is* a song and she *is* a ninja now. Like Dany, she's the "special" character who keeps having the improbable and the amazing (and the downright impossible) happen regularly. Both of them pretty much "live the dream" of the major fantasy tropes and all those tawdry boring "regular stories" except the misery, death, and hopelessness that surrounds them is described in more gory and depressing detail. Ironically this makes me annoyed with the characters, not because they are traditional to the point of predictable, but because by not governed by darker and edgier while EVERYONE else is in extremely depressing and gory detail they become...something else, something meh.

It's like watching Captain America, but spending 90% of the film's time watching Gilmore Hodge. Have most of the story follow him and his squad as he passes every test and tries his hardest but gets passed over. Watch as acts like a jerk sometimes but learns along the way. Watch them go to Europe. Watch Hodge lose his friends to artillery and guns and bad luck. Watch half his squad get taken by Hydra and watch each one get tortured to death in excruciating detail. And then juxtapose all that with the regular "Captain America is totally awesome OMG" scenes. Then end it all with no one actually remembering who he is or what he fought for as he dies alone in a nursing home, because that's real and edgy and dark.

And it's probably irrational, but it's a feeling and those tend to be irrational.

• DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Boognish wrote: »

Who has two thumbs and will probably listen to book 4 again before going to the 5th one?
    Not Jaime Lannister, that's for damn sure

I laughed a lot at this one.

Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    shryke wrote: »
    It's a nice attempt to fanwank some greater insight out of it, but it's wrong.

In the book, she flat out facepalms when Tywin shows up at Harrenhal and realises who she should have saved the deaths for.

She's nine and wasn't thinking of the bigger picture.

Also IIRC a girl even discusses some "bigger picture" targets with a man, hypothetically, and a man implies that depending on who a girl names, the death may take years to accomplish.

That said, he IS the voice of Westeros for me at this point - the guy reading Book 4 just isn't cutting it; I'm glad he is coming back to read 5 and whatever else is going to be released after.

And now, Roy is playing the Chief Pyromancer on the TV series, which is really cool.

Sorry for the ramble, there just isn't another place on the forum for me to post this.

Oh, @syndalis, I weep for you.

Keep in mind that there are like decades IRL between when Roy recorded book 3 and book 5. Trust me, and everyone else who's given an opinion on it: you'll beg to have John Lee back when you hear Dotrice's shameful phoning-in of Book 5. He completely gives up on his masterful ability to voice every single character uniquely, and instead gives every frickin' character one of like 3 voices. He completely abandons the eclectic accents he uses for different parts of the world, and makes every culture sound british or scottish. Some of his most unique voices, like Dolorous Ed, and Patchface, and Strong Belwas, he completely forgets how he used to voice them and just gives them the same bland british isles accents. Yes, Strong Belwas becomes an old Scottish man with very little inflection. The accent doesn't even make sense with the halting grammar Belwas uses. Worst of all, God help us, he changes Dany's voice to that of an 80-yr-old Scottish peasant-woman. That is not an exaggeration. His voice for her is that of an uneducated, humble, sickly, old scottish crone. Reviewers have likened it to a "bag lady" and I agree. It defies sense. Your ears will bleed.

I also heard that he went back and read Book 4 to round out the series thus far. I'd rather have heard that they got a new director and had him re-read book 5.

Invisible wrote: »
    I always imagined Xaro as a little more flamboyant than he's being portrayed currently. That and much flashier, isn't he supposed to have jewels embedded in his face?

Yeah, I always pictured a flamboyant, eccentric romantic. Not The Green Mile.

reVerse wrote: »
    I was a little annoyed
    that Renly died out of armor. The armor is how Jaime reasons Loras into believing that Brienne was not the killer, but in the very next scene Loras doesn't believe it was Brienne, so it's all well and good.

Arya
    has a giant set of balls on her. "Anyone can be killed" to Tywin Lannister's face.

I really don't think there would be any reason for Tywin to interpret her words that way. That was for the audience. Her words were clear enough taken literally: "no, I don't think Robb is some demigod, I think you could probably kill him." The double-meaning would seem pretty impotent if Tywin were to take it that way.

Yar on
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    I still can't get over how badly he pronounced Brienne, seriously Bry-eene?!?!

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
    Myiagros wrote: »
    I still can't get over how badly he pronounced Brienne, seriously Bry-eene?!?!

That's how he always pronounced her name. Book 2 and 3, Bri-eene. That's how I hear it / think it now.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Ep 5
    It really, really disappoints me that Arya spent one of her deaths on The Tickler. I honestly thought the bit at the end of Book 3, where she and the Hound stumble on Polliver and the Tickler and a couple others, and Arya just starts going fucking bugshit on the Tickler, repeating his own questions back at him as she stabs him over and over and over again, was one of her best scenes and critical to showing just how fucked up she'd gotten.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    EP 5:

No Reeds? Please say they won't cut the crannogmen D:

I'm curious about this too. They're already a bit late.

From the horses mouthes:
    David.—and I don’t think anyone else asks viewers to process so many storylines and characters. And also one thing to keep in mind is that there are characters in the second book who don’t appear this season, but are coming in later. It’s just about so many new characters introduced in the second season, so we saved some for the next season. They aren’t being omitted, they’re just being delayed.

Dan: A lot of it is just where does somebody really become central to the story, and we can’t afford to have people waiting around for their story to start.

I'd imagine we see the Reeds, Ramsay and others later in Season 3. They've already changed the dynamic of Renly's death, so I doubt they're above changing other story arcs a bit (The Hound immediately springs to mind).

That gives me hope that the Brave Companions will make it in in time to meet Jaime; as they're running late as well.

• valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    Ep 5
    It really, really disappoints me that Arya spent one of her deaths on The Tickler. I honestly thought the bit at the end of Book 3, where she and the Hound stumble on Polliver and the Tickler and a couple others, and Arya just starts going fucking bugshit on the Tickler, repeating his own questions back at him as she stabs him over and over and over again, was one of her best scenes and critical to showing just how fucked up she'd gotten.

Agreed. Love that scene. People overlook how fucked in the head she is.
    Every single departure from the books this episode was flatly worse than the original text.

Disappointing.

How so?

Yar wrote: »
    I was a little annoyed

Arya

I really don't think there would be any reason for Tywin to interpret her words that way. That was for the audience. Her words were clear enough taken literally: "no, I don't think Robb is some demigod, I think you could probably kill him." The double-meaning would seem pretty impotent if Tywin were to take it that way.

There's a prolonged silence between the two after she says it and when Tywin breaks it, he sounds much less bemused than he did when he was asking Arya questions. An implication was made and Tywin didn't much care for it.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Rambling thoughts, minor book spoilers through the end of SoS, I suppose?
    I'm still 2 episodes behind so it's possible this has been changed, but one of the things which I've noticed from the show is, via omissions, the Tullys are basically no longer "large" players in the game, so to speak. Because of this, it seems that Robb is just waging a war in the South because that's where his opponents are, as opposed to in the novels where (if memory serves, and mind you it's been a while), weren't they attempting to split off the North, the Riverlands, and the Eyrie?

Honestly, it makes a lot more sense to me (Moat Cailin is a lot easier to defend from attacks from the South than the goddamn Riverlands), and it allows them to chop out a LOT of extraneous stuff which ends up not really mattering big-picture, it's just funny to think that what would otherwise be such a huge deviation is relatively minor and unnoticed

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Rambling thoughts, minor book spoilers through the end of SoS, I suppose?
    I'm still 2 episodes behind so it's possible this has been changed, but one of the things which I've noticed from the show is, via omissions, the Tullys are basically no longer "large" players in the game, so to speak. Because of this, it seems that Robb is just waging a war in the South because that's where his opponents are, as opposed to in the novels where (if memory serves, and mind you it's been a while), weren't they attempting to split off the North, the Riverlands, and the Eyrie?

Honestly, it makes a lot more sense to me (Moat Cailin is a lot easier to defend from attacks from the South than the goddamn Riverlands), and it allows them to chop out a LOT of extraneous stuff which ends up not really mattering big-picture, it's just funny to think that what would otherwise be such a huge deviation is relatively minor and unnoticed
    Perhaps they were trying to imply that the Ukraine Riverlands would be agreeable to be under Renly's rule if it meant an end to Lannisters pillaging their lands? I do recall that in the books that the Eyrie was basically neutral in the war.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    I was a little annoyed

Arya

There's a prolonged silence between the two after she says it and when Tywin breaks it, he sounds much less bemused than he did when he was asking Arya questions. An implication was made and Tywin didn't much care for it.

Oh good, this is the book thread, so I can point out that implication can be interpreted differently by us book readers, that look in Tywin's eye maybe the twinkle of a plan, a plan that comes to fruition as the RW. I did not take that scene to say Arya was threatening Tywin but stating what is plainly evident for her since she headed south; butcher's boy, her dad, her dad's guard, her black cloak protector, her graceful "dance" instructor, and many, many more before Tywin showed up - oh and there goes another, as a man pays his debts. Another example of the truth of her words will be more apparent as the tale of Renly's assassination heads north. If Tywin was aware of "a man", he would have probably try to hire him.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    I was a little annoyed

Arya

Oh good, this is the book thread, so I can point out that implication can be interpreted differently by us book readers, that look in Tywin's eye maybe the twinkle of a plan, a plan that comes to fruition as the RW. I did not take that scene to say Arya was threatening Tywin but stating what is plainly evident for her since she headed south; butcher's boy, her dad, her dad's guard, her black cloak protector, her graceful "dance" instructor, and many, many more before Tywin showed up - oh and there goes another, as a man pays his debts. Another example of the truth of her words will be more apparent as the tale of Renly's assassination heads north. If Tywin was aware of "a man", he would have probably try to hire him.

I'm not saying she was threatening him, more that she was sassing him. Still, huge balls to talk to Tywin in that manner.

reVerse on
    valiance wrote: »

Disappointing.

How so?

Spoilers up through DWD
    Arya's already been discussed, although additionally you lose Chiswyck's utter grossness, and the WTF of Jaqen somehow getting Weese's own dog to maul him.

Brienne killing the guys who come in to check is bad for the same reason as Arya - you lose the payoff to Brienne's storyline in DWD when she kills Shagwell and cries about it. You also lose Loras going bugfuck and cutting down half of Renly's Kingsguard in his grief.

Margery is far too aggressive. This one's not as big a deal, but I kind of liked her just being passed around as the token to secure Highgarden with very little direct action of her own. Sort of the counterpart to Sansa's deconstruction of the princess tropes.

Dagmar Cleftjaw (whose jaw is noticably not cleft) telling Theon to take Winterfell ruins Theon taking it in two different ways - in the original, his decision was motivated by desires both to show how clever and useful he was to the Greyjoys, and to be (effectively) the Stark in Winterfell after everyone there had kind of shat on him. Neither of those work nearly as well if it's Dagmar's idea.

Quaithe talking to Jorah is kind of weird and an unnecessary change. (Quaithe herself looked baller as hell, though, even better than my mental image from the book.)

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Dagmer doesn't tell Theon to do anything beyond suggesting that doing what he's told isn't very Iron-born of him.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Quaithe talking to Jorah is kind of weird and an unnecessary change. (Quaithe herself looked baller as hell, though, even better than my mental image from the book.)

I've read the books several times and I had no idea who that was sup posed to be (I guess because I don't remember her, even after looking her up).

• THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular

A lot of his stuff falls flat, but GOD I love his voice for Aeron. THE DRROOOWNNNED GAWD

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    ....Is that the lady who tells Dany of three betrayals? That happened in Qarth, right?

Episode airs in the UK in half an hour so I can't even guess from the episode.

Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Domhnall wrote: »
    ....Is that the lady who tells Dany of three betrayals? That happened in Qarth, right?

Episode airs in the UK in half an hour so I can't even guess from the episode.

Yes, the "three betrayals" message happens in Qarth.

No, Quaithe is not the one to mention it; she provides other prophecies ... let's see:
    “To go north, you must journey south. To reach the west, you must go east. To go forward you must go back, and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow.”

edit: my question is no longer relevant, as the mask is otherwise specified as wooden in the text.

Tamin on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    I did not like the look of Quaithe at all.

It's supposed to be a creepy lacquered wooden mask! Not a silly-looking veil thing.

They nailed Pyat Pree, though, and he's more important for this season, so it works out.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
    Quaithe looked goofy.

• quantumcat42quantumcat42 Registered User regular
    I didn't really have a strong mental image of Quaithe when reading, but she sure as hell didn't look like she was wearing a chicken-wire gimp-hood.