As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HULK SMASH PUNY BOX OFFICE RECORDS!

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    on par

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Godfather wrote: »
    Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit with the Iron Man red lasers

That minute and a half of action where Tony and Rhody rip that Hammeroid force limb for limb is probably the best coreographed super hero fight possible in that time frame. It's brutal, vicious, and FAST. I believe it was story boarded by Genndy Tatarkosky too.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Guys I only just now realised there is more than one Robocob movie, how could I have gotten to this age with such a blindspot?

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    honestly you were better off

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    red skull has been the best marvel movie villian thus far

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    FAQ wrote: »
    Loki has been the best marvel movie villian thus far

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yeah.

Loki was the reason to like Thor.

I wasn't a huge fan of Captain America to be honest, which was a shame as he is probably my favourite marvel character and I love his world war 2 stories. Like, it wasn't bad, it just lacked a little something.

• Options
    one was nazi werner herzog, the other a spoiled toff

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I really liked Blonsky.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Blonsky was great.

But I really like Tim Roth anyway.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

Noooope.

He had little motivation, no connection with the main character and doesn't do anything for like 90 percent of the movie.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Thor is my favorite Marvel film.

I love it so much.

Thor is the worst Marvel movie.

Hell, it's a bad movie.

Why do we have to do this every time? Why can't everyone just except that the Marvel studios movies are some weird anomaly where consensus simply can't be reached.

Every time I say my favorite superhero movie is Thor a guy at my comic shop gives me shit but he didn't like Incredible Hulk either so I'm pretty sure he's a bad person.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    nah, neither of those were great

• Options
    avengers may be the best by a wide margin

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Iron Man
    Avengers
    Thor
    Iron Man 2
    Captain America
    Incredible Hulk

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Oh jeez.

Now I understand why there are bad opinions.

FAQ is speaking.

• Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    honestly you were better off

Robocop 2 wasn't too bad

It had the kiddy drug dealer

XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    Watching Batman: Under the Red Hood.

It's good, unless you are someone who whines any time someone that isn't Mark Hammill voices The Joker.

• Options
    I'm not a big fan of the marvel movie universe in general, avengers is pretty cool though

• Options
    Under the red hood felt that joker was more of a gangster than a villan though.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    Under the red hood felt that joker was more of a gangster than a villan though.

I did think he was one of the better Joker though.

Also what?

Joker IS a Gangster. So are like half of Bats enemies.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HziQVWw0Kg

This is where he won me over.

• Options
    Bad review from D&D

Apothe0sis wrote: »
    I saw The Avengers the other night, and it was appalling.

It looked awful, the script was full of purple prose, the plot was not good, it had stupid plot advancement.

As Ross is wont to observe - the screenplay is the easiest and cheapest way to improve a movie, but somehow they didn't do this. Possibly because while Whedon probably isn't a rapist he definitely is an extremely limited writer.

It had the occasional laugh, but so many obvious gags fell flat. The action was interesting enough and I was quite pleased that it didn't at all involve people being depowered as a substitute for an interesting climax, but the fact that no one died, at all during the climax was obvious and comical and really made the whole thing seem something of a joke. There were more than a few pointless scenes/overexplanations/reexplanations of previous scenes. I will give it credit that Scar-Jo and Hawkeye were incorporated in a way that wasn't too straining - but there were some extremely naff scenes of Johansson cocking her tiny peashooter guns while the Hulk hulks and Iron Man irons. Captain America was bland as cardboard and their attempts to cast him in a leadership role really underscored the fact that he's just a really strong dude with a shield. Thor was painful to listen to and looked ridiculous (though, to be fair, no more so than Captain America's stupid costume).

If it weren't for the always incredible Downey Robot Jr. it would have been unwatchable.

The sting/post credits bit was a hint of more terrible to come.

What the hell was the point of Robin Scherbatsky? They would have lost nothing if they had have cut her.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    It should probably be noted this poster also posted this
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Saw trailers for Spiderman, Prometheus and Bathuman before The Avengers.

Prometheus looks rad as all hell.

Spiderman looks terrible from a brain point of view, but pretty ok from a "let's see some action" point of view. On the other hand, they made Emma Stone blonde which is very terrible. I do not think I will enjoy it overly much.

Batman I am torn about. On the one hand everything about the plot, such as was revealed looks not good, Bane in particular is nonsense. On the other hand, it looks like it's going to be a visual spectacle in the same way The Dark Knight does, which I am feel very reassured about.

So yeah.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    ergh

thanks, now I have to tear out my eyes

• Options
    Prometheus does look rad as all hell.

His complaints about the Avengers are all valid, especially what he said about Cap. It's just stuff most people wouldn't / shouldn't care about.

Except the bit about the visuals, that's silly. It looks amazing.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    YaYa wrote: »
    ergh

thanks, now I have to tear out my eyes

If I must suffer so must you all!

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Whatever your thoughts on the movie, it is simply not appalling. There is no angle you can look at, no amount of 'reading too much into it', that can result in it being appalling. At absolute worst it is an ok film. Compared to most Marvel films it is fantastic. As a person whos not a big fan of superhero movies as well, all the characters worked, Apothesis complaints about Captain America just being a guy with a shield, and Scarlette Johanson using 'tiny gun's or being ineffectual, is especially weird as I kind of latched onto those two characters and never found it jarring that they were fighting alongside the Hulk and Thor (as a non-comic fan or not a big marvel movie fan). There are numerous scenes in which they both save the day, either through violence or dialogue. So yeah, Apothesis is being a silly goose.

The fact that there are 'stronger' people out there fighting at the same time, doesnt mean Scarlette Johansons character, the archer and Captain america dont play a pretty crucial and fluid role, it never felt like they were just cutting to them to give them some air time. I mean you could argue the whole thing could be solved by Thor and the Hulk, but the movie doesnt instill that sense in the audience.

furthermore not one joke fell flat in my audience. And as for the 'purple prose' complaint, I dont really remember any.

When the hell does this come out in America anyway? its been out in australia for like a week, so you guys wont have to fret over silly opinions. For instance 'it looked awful' is just objectively not true, every shot was framed well, especially the action sequences, they were far and away the best ive seen in a long time in a superhero film, not just because I could tell what was going on, but because they were inventive and interesting. Maybe the only thing I didnt like was the aliens, I could never really get a good look at them, but the lack of focus on them actually made it easier to track the fighting and heroes.

Prohass on
  • Options
    To be fair, while I'm not frothing at the mouth about them, Cap could have been a bit more interesting and Maria really did have not real point to the story.

Meta reading though.
    Her character is going to turn into coulston's where she will cameo everywhere.

• Options
    Goatmon wrote: »

Noooope.

He had little motivation, no connection with the main character and doesn't do anything for like 90 percent of the movie.

On the other hand, Hugo Weaving.

True.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular

Noooope.

On the other hand, Hugo Weaving.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Scarlett's gun, next to everyone else did look ridiculous though.

Other than his issue with the script, his points are valid to a degree, but none of the points make it appalling.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I had no problem with Black Widow, but for Cap;
    He's supposed to be the leader. He totally was not the lead - Tony was. He was evolving into the leader, and there were clear moments of him getting there; Tony deferring to him in the group scene for example, but the bit with Thor helping him up felt more like lil' Steve Rogers punching above his weight again, Thor acting like Bucky feeling sorry for him, not 2 mighty warriors fighting side by side.

EDIT; like, Hawkeye and Black Widow's story arcs revolved around them not being super powered badass heroes like the others, it took their 'weakness' into consideration, but Cap's didn't.

But then, he's my least fav of the characters anyway, so I had no real problem with it. :P

Would like to see more opinions of people who liked the Captain America movie on how he is in Avengers...

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I know people hate Millar.

But I love his Cap, all ultra confident, forever trying to g people up. Like an old forties movie star.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I felt like given that it showed her guns actually killing the aliens, it was no more ridiculous than the guy with arrows? I mean, I just read her as the 'soldier/assassin' kind of hero archetype, it would've been cool if she'd used other gadgets I guess, but it showed her
    saving civilians
    with those guns, so I wasnt like "just go have a sandwich and let the super guys deal with it'.

As for cap,
    it came across that he was the moral centre of the group, and he proved himself in battle to Thor I think (I cant remember specifically when or where), it all kind of just came together in the end really well, and where he wasnt 'leading' it wasnt because he couldnt but because the other characters were being dicks.

Prohass on
  • Options
    That's true.

And he did tell hulk to smash.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    That's true.

And he did tell hulk to smash.

I think this is a crucial thing. And im not joking, because it stands to how well this film establishes everything, as a result of pacing, levity, earnestness but not over-seriousness, that I totally bought that he would say that, and that the Hulk would nod and go "yes sir" with his Hulk eyes, and that everyone in my cinema erupted. I mean that doesnt just happen, not matter how little respect you have for the movie going-public. The same scene, without the same kind of lead up, would've been eye-rolling or hit with a dud. But everything had so much energy. I think thats why i feel its odd to hate the film, or say its abysmal, its energy was just spot on.

Prohass on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Prohass I'm with you as far as coming across to me at least that he was the moral center of the group, which is good on them because honestly I just don't care about Captain America and there had to be a semi-believable reason for me to buy him as the leader. And I felt they achieved that. Maybe it was sort of ham-handed how they achieved it, but it's an action movie and sometimes you just gotta say "LOOK HERE IS THE LEADER TO SOLVE YOUR DUMBASS ARGUMENT THAT IS WHY HE IS THE LEADER, MOVING ON."
    To be fair, while I'm not frothing at the mouth about them, Cap could have been a bit more interesting and Maria really did have not real point to the story.

Meta reading though.

Problem with this is
    they'd have to make me like her like I did Coulson, because as it is I don't give a craaaap

Saying that as someone who has for years now been obsessed with the lives of the non-superhumans who live and work around superheroes every day, which is neither here nor there but a true thing. Like, all the people working on the Watchtower in Justice League. Who are those guys when they go home at night?

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    True Sandra, but personally,
    I didn't really like coulston until the second iron man movie, they really had no time for her to be anything but do a squeaky yell.

Also, her squeaky shouty voice was super annoying.

• Options
    Prohass I'm with you as far as coming across to me at least that he was the moral center of the group, which is good on them because honestly I just don't care about Captain America and there had to be a semi-believable reason for me to buy him as the leader. And I felt they achieved that. Maybe it was sort of ham-handed how they achieved it, but it's an action movie and sometimes you just gotta say "LOOK HERE IS THE LEADER TO SOLVE YOUR DUMBASS ARGUMENT THAT IS WHY HE IS THE LEADER, MOVING ON."

Meta reading though.

Problem with this is
    they'd have to make me like her like I did Coulson, because as it is I don't give a craaaap

Saying that as someone who has for years now been obsessed with the lives of the non-superhumans who live and work around superheroes every day, which is neither here nor there but a true thing. Like, all the people working on the Watchtower in Justice League. Who are those guys when they go home at night?
    When Coulson appears in Ironman I didn't give much of a crap either.

They have time.

Quire.jpg
This discussion has been closed.