As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The War of Art: Vanguard kind of likes how Satan's asshole smells

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    If they had a bunch of coal black I would have bought gallons from you.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    @Asher thanks for the tip on repairing brushes. Gave my Series 7 an acetone swim, then sat it with some conditioner in it for half an hour, and it's good as new. Saved me $30.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    It's funny, the only GS near me only bothers with Warmachine and Hordes but doesn't carry P3 paint at all.

Really the place is just a dump and it makes me really sad.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Because many of the stores closed where I live I have to drive deep into town just to buy or look at anything

I am not looking forward to try to get the Imperial Guard Rpg book for Free RPG day this year

Which day is that again?

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    June 16th 2012

• JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    This good weather is really killing my painting. Lovely day on the water today and forecast is amazing for tomorrow too. I doubt I could hold a paintbrush tonight.

But loads of infinity goodies coming my way next week hopefully!

• OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Infinity you say! We have a thread for that, as a matter of fact! /plug <3

makosig.jpg
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    So yeah, I grabbed a Raging Heroes model to use as my Lahmian caster lord. Not impressed with their resin at all. Finecast has been far better.

359863_sm-.JPG

359864_sm-.JPG

• Istvaan ShogaatsuIstvaan Shogaatsu Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Also, I feel stupid. I've had my camera for a year and a half, and only just figured out how to turn on macro mode. Here's a kind of blurry close up of a WIP Infinity model.

Macro mode is ok, but if you want to get sharper pictures, you'll want to play with your camera's manual focus.

Look for a slider-switch somewhere on the lens portion (usually) with the labels "AF" and "MF". Select MF. Now adjust the focus to about 0.6-0.3 foot range (usually done with a wee joystick on the camera) and take the picture with the camera at that distance from the model. Assuming your camera works like mine, adjusting focus will bring up a preview window that lets you see whether you're getting the sharpest image possible.

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Big ass photo dump!

Daemonette:
    DSCN2958.jpg
    DSCN2944.jpg
    DSCN2943.jpg
    DSCN2929.jpg

Chosen with Genestealer face:
    DSCN2957.jpg
    DSCN2954.jpg
    DSCN2956.jpg
    DSCN2939.jpg

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    And as an added bonus:
    Minis My Girlfriend Painted! These are her first two minis she's painted, and we're rather proud of the results.

Her Daemonette:
    DSCN2961.jpg
    DSCN2960.jpg
    DSCN2962.jpg

Her Incubi:
    DSCN2945.jpg
    DSCN2946.jpg
    DSCN2947.jpg
    DSCN2948.jpg

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Did, er...did you paint that nipple on there. Because I don't remember a nipple on the sculpts.
    Slaanesh is pleased

I am painting for the first time in ages! Gunna get this Necron Overlord finished. I want some of the new Wraiths but need to make a dent in my army first.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    Yeah, I painted that nipple on there.

Whadduya dudes think of the girlfriend minis?

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    You're a brave man. I'd be more than willing to let my gf paint things.

But not expensive-as-fuck finecast incubi.

Which reminds me, I have a box of them with only 1 assembled and unprimed.

Joke's on you, Keenbean!

That's a metal Incubi! And I have TWO boxes of them!

• JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    I hate you. I have nearly 20 incubi and not the will to assemble them due to the amount of work needed to redeem them from miscast hell. They were replaced by plastic kits though. So no monetary loss.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    plastic kitbashes fo lyfe.
    I had enough of non-plastic units, especially eldar. Swooping Hawks were the last straw

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I was having trouble sleeping, so I decided to play with my camera a little. Used the minis and scenery to create a little scene:

IMG_2491.jpg

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
    Macro mode is ok, but if you want to get sharper pictures, you'll want to play with your camera's manual focus.

I know how to do that. Unfortunately, my eyesight is pretty bad, and looking one eyed through the tiny viewport to manually focus usually winds up worse than the photos I've been taking without macro mode on.

• altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    I love the pics. I like keenbean's shit, and that genestealer face actually works quite well on a chosen...

Matrias, that terrain is boss, and your "snow wolf" convinced me to change my usual ways of painting wolf fur, my most recent wolf fur was a blueish-white. It's pretty neat actually.

I re-took a bunch of pics of my older minis because I had a light box set up and I wanted to try it out. Here's one that made it into GW's twitter mention:

7122458637_60eb6ec8de_b.jpg

And a couple more:

6976376926_a912b1cd53_b.jpg

7122457751_e5f8a96c4f_b.jpg

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
    altmann wrote: »
    I like keenbean's shit

Aw, shucks. I like your shit too.

In other news I think I have decided on what my MAGNUS OPUS™ is going to be. Ever since I took on my Blood Ravens army as a 'painting project first, playable army second' endeavor that's pretty much all I do anymore. I was going to have my Bretonnians be my pinnacle but fuck that.

I just can't get it up for painting all that heraldry. I'm loving the peasants but the knights can go eat all the dicks.

I'm going to do a pre-heresy marine army and I am going to do that shit right. Period-appropriate armor on everyone. Primarch all up ins. All that good stuff.

Now to decide on the chapter (currently in the running - EC, Luna Wolves, Alpha Legion) and then win the lottery so I can afford all this shit.

Pretty sure all of those choices are wrong.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Yeah...those are all pretty over done Keenbean. Why not something that's not a really common PH army? Like one of the Irons or maybe Night Lords...

Do what you want, of course, but picking something that's more original for such a monumental project really helps push it forward to greatness. So it doesn't become "just another Luna Wolves Pre-heresy army."

Preheresy DARK ANGELS!!!!!! Yeaa wooo.

Making a chapter I don't give two shits about isn't really good advice. I'm not doing this to be a beautiful and unique snowflake. I'm doing this to make something that I want to see in my display case every day.

edited April 2012
    No you have to make what I want to see.

Edit: But yea, Luna Wolves would be cool. White is always striking in an army.

TheLawinator on
    I actually toyed with Luna Wolves when, like every other person who read the first 3 books of HH, I wanted to make them. I used some metallic medium and made an off-white pearlescent color. It was boss. But this was before I learned to thin paint and it looked poopy.

I've also considered doing a 'what if?' army. Like what if x never turned against the Emperor? It would damn sure save me from buying all that resin but I'm afraid it would look super bland.

Answer:

Alpha Legion.

signature.png
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    It's funny, the only GS near me only bothers with Warmachine and Hordes but doesn't carry P3 paint at all.

Really the place is just a dump and it makes me really sad.

Our gaming club is more than 50% Warmahordes and they don't even sell the models. This has more to do with space than anything, because they are stacked floor to ceiling with pretty much every game in existence.

I actually toyed with Luna Wolves when, like every other person who read the first 3 books of HH, I wanted to make them. I used some metallic medium and made an off-white pearlescent color. It was boss. But this was before I learned to thin paint and it looked poopy.

I've also considered doing a 'what if?' army. Like what if x never turned against the Emperor? It would damn sure save me from buying all that resin but I'm afraid it would look super bland.

You could always go with the bolter and chainsword official fan fiction, the dornian heresy.

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

Have you looked at the Dornian Heresy stuff over on B&C? That's exactly what they thought of - what if it wasn't Horus that turned, but Rogal Dorn? It's actually surprisingly well thought-out and detailed. They've released a series of IA-style articles about each of the chapters under this alternate timeline, and a lot of them are pretty logical.

tzeentchling on
    Pre-heresy Blood Angels where they're totally fine and not screwed up.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I actually built 6 bikes this weekend. It's a start and I'm proud of myself.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    How do I make really really small straight lines? Really small.

• Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular
    How do I make really really small straight lines? Really small.

I saw an article somewhere about using those really fine pens to do intricate lines if that works.

steam_sig.png
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    I would think Pen or pencil, though that doesn't help make them straight :P and i don't know if you could get ahold of some tape to use and mask off some of the mini.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I use Micron pens, 0.05 for tac marine size models and 0.1 for vehicles or such. It's cheating, but it's amazing for things like blacklining or text wiggles.

• SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    I also use micron pens. Is this for writing something in particular, or...?

Here's the secret to straight pin lines.

Use a LONG thin brush. What you do is you drag the brush across the line, and the fact that it's so long actually helps IMMENSELY in making a straight line. Go youtube pinstriping videos and you'll see what I mean. If you have a short brush it's actually really hard because your hand needs to be SO steady.

signature.png
This discussion has been closed.