As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]New thread is up. Hope everyone enjoyed the April BWE! It was awesome!

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    And made a long post and the forum seems to have ate it.

• Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Now that this beta is over, I went through and look at my high-res screenshots.

DEAR FUCK. This game is fucking beautiful. I mean, I remember it looking this good while I was playing (although it was at 15-20 FPS :lol: ), but still... holy shit.

Holy shit.

EDIT: My screenshots look nicer than the press release screenshots they give out and that's crazy.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    Angry WeaselAngry Weasel Registered User regular
    Great tip for next BWE

"While it's a bit late here's a small piece of advice for the next BWE; if you rightclick a "common crafting material" and select "Deposit Collectible" it will automatically be transferred into your bank in a different tab (which you can select on the left side)."

• Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    Great tip for next BWE

"While it's a bit late here's a small piece of advice for the next BWE; if you rightclick a "common crafting material" and select "Deposit Collectible" it will automatically be transferred into your bank in a different tab (which you can select on the left side)."

Is there any way to craft from bank/collectible tab mats? Running/warping to the bank and back was tedious.

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    i really hope the next beta has access to the sylvari

my enjoyment of this game would skyrocket if i could make a willowy plant-elf girl with which to subject people to flamethrowering and rocket turreting

• Options
    ohwell i wrote out a nice post with all sorts of statistics but the forum ate it:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/22952010#Comment_22952010

Thats the post i wrote, dont know if a mod can retrieve it.

anyway i'll just put the screenshots down cuz its late and I want to go to bed.

I got off the bridge and into the great collapse:
    gw002.jpg

Warrior I played over most of the beta event.
    gw013.jpg

Shot of Wizards tower:
    gw027.jpg

Action shots:
    gw057.jpg
    gw072.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I actually want some level of

1) follow
    2) automatically run up to npcs i click on.

VV I replied to that post, I read the future.

Draygo on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I'm continually amazed at all the people on the Beta forums asking for click-to-move. It's just ... what type of game do you think this is?

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Enig wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    No one told me before that the Elementalist is amazing. Dual daggers or staves? You are wrecking house. Also, a runspeed buff with lightning/staff is awesome news.

I'm a bit disappointed that they don't appear to have weapon switching though. :(

They don't because they have access to so many skills already via their profession mechanic.

But daggers and staves are both awesome. Don't make me choose! ;-)

I couldn't stand daggers when I started with them. They take you too close to the enemy, but once the damage started scaling up it became much more worth it.

Also, anyone notice that they let us go on for several more hours than initially stated?

It was supposed to end at Midnight PDT. That was ... 20 minutes ago.

Ah, my bad, had the time zones mixed up

• Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    Fucking clever bastards.

When I'm looking at my screenshots, I realize that this game appears to have very subtle cell-shading going on in places around the edges of stuff. Juuuuust subtle enough to give it that "painterly" feel.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    tehkensaitehkensai Registered User regular
    From the little I played of it, I think Im going to try guardian more next. As much as Im liking the warrior I hated getting rooted in place for a lot of their skills with two handed weapons. Guardians felt like they could move around a lot more.

jAhPU.jpg
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    I'm continually amazed at all the people on the Beta forums asking for click-to-move. It's just ... what type of game do you think this is?
    The sequel to Guild Wars?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    tehkensai wrote: »
    From the little I played of it, I think Im going to try guardian more next. As much as Im liking the warrior I hated getting rooted in place for a lot of their skills with two handed weapons. Guardians felt like they could move around a lot more.

I don't know about Warrior, but all the Guardian skills outside of the shouts pretty much have cast times. Those that don't, you need to be rooted.

Ultimately, I think the most critical things that ANet need to sort out (for PvE at least anyway) are scaling, combat and client optimization in that order.

Scaling seems totally out of whack in the beta - world events don't seem to scale down in any way, and boss damage grows exponentially fast enough such that one-shots are common.

Combat.. well, they need to relook at melee seriously too. Something is very very wrong when as a guardian, pretty much the epitome of sword and board, I can kill much more safely and often times faster with a sceptre as opposed to a greatsword. Sadly, it took me until level 12 before I realised this, but once you do, playing as a guardian becomes much more enjoyable because you can then do stuff that everyone seems to be good with (e.g. kiting veteran aaxes around as a level 12).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    Slimcea wrote: »
    Something is very very wrong when as a guardian, pretty much the epitome of sword and board

Actually ANet has always made a point to emphasize the guardian as a heavily-armored caster, IIRC.

• Options

That's nothing like Guild Wars.

• Options
    sidhaethe wrote: »
    Slimcea wrote: »
    Something is very very wrong when as a guardian, pretty much the epitome of sword and board

Actually ANet has always made a point to emphasize the guardian as a heavily-armored caster, IIRC.

I found guardian sturdier then warrior. My warrior felt like he was made of paper most of the time.

I found my Mesmer by far the best at melee. He's evasive enough I never really got hit.

• Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

For a fan of Guild Wars who hasn't been following gaming news and developments but only hears "GW has a sequel coming out," I can understand the position. After all, non-fans of GW2 have been slamming it on the same grounds of ignorance, accusing it of being fully instanced, no jumping, etc. etc. And I know it's hard for some people to believe, but plenty of folks actually really like the way Guild Wars is set up, including with click-to-move enabled.

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I'm starting to get a sinking feeling about combat.
    As I leveled my weapons from levels 1-15 I unlocked more and more of my combinations, at level 12 I had almost all of them unlocked. By level 15 I had my rotations down and it was simply a matter of watching my rear when kiting and figuring out on the fly what to do when something bad happened.

The top level is level 80.
    What's left to make me interested in those 65 other levels of combat and fighting?!

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    I made a post in the suggestion forum about the difficulty of the Personal Story quests I encountered.

I got a bunch of replies from people who only read the title of the thread and not the actual post itself. Replies like "don't change the difficulty keep it hard if you can't do it you're a babby" etc etc. And I know these people didn't read the post because in my post I said I went in over the recommended level, but got replies such as "it's supposed to be hard go back when you're over the level".

Even my example of the Ballista which hit for more health than I had. No one seemed to read that part either.

Fuck.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Screenshot time!

This was taken in LA when we did the group meetup. Unfortunately I could only get the people near me in the shot (and a random sylvari NPC) because we were posing for the group picture. I'm the grumpy looking charr.

?.jpg

WuvWuv

?.jpg

Charr being charr

?.jpg

If you want to see the rest of my screenshots (well, 20 of the 80 or so I kept) I put them in the MMO Extravaganza screenshot thread here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/22952170#Comment_22952170

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options

For a fan of Guild Wars who hasn't been following gaming news and developments but only hears "GW has a sequel coming out," I can understand the position. After all, non-fans of GW2 have been slamming it on the same grounds of ignorance, accusing it of being fully instanced, no jumping, etc. etc. And I know it's hard for some people to believe, but plenty of folks actually really like the way Guild Wars is set up, including with click-to-move enabled.

Click-to-move isn't a usual thing for MMOs though in my experience.

• Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    I made a post in the suggestion forum about the difficulty of the Personal Story quests I encountered.

I got a bunch of replies from people who only read the title of the thread and not the actual post itself. Replies like "don't change the difficulty keep it hard if you can't do it you're a babby" etc etc. And I know these people didn't read the post because in my post I said I went in over the recommended level, but got replies such as "it's supposed to be hard go back when you're over the level".

Even my example of the Ballista which hit for more health than I had. No one seemed to read that part either.

Fuck.

Yeah, I saw your thread. Also made a reply that I'm sure will fall on deaf ears. Or blind eyes, whatever. Just making my rounds, trying to add my 2 cents to any thread that needs some logic and reason in it.

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular

Fuck.

The official forums are what you expect - a cesspool of self-proclaimed wannabe elitists and hardcore fanboys. They seem to dismiss any valid criticism out of hand by attacking the poster instead. Stuff like "learn to dodge", "this is not WOW, adapt or die" nonsense. Sure I could dodge, but hey, I've only got energy for 2 dodges, and that doesn't avoid auto-attack damage in any way. Also, how the hell am I supposed to know to dodge when I can't even see the boss under all that spell effects? And that crap about WOW, if you were a raider in WOW, it would leave you much more prepared than most other MMOs. Things like getting out of the fire, interrupting, positioning, timing of skills would be second nature to you.
    As I leveled my weapons from levels 1-15 I unlocked more and more of my combinations, at level 12 I had almost all of them unlocked. By level 15 I had my rotations down and it was simply a matter of watching my rear when kiting and figuring out on the fly what to do when something bad happened.

What's left to make me interested in those 65 other levels of combat and fighting?!

This worries me too because honestly, looking at the skill bar, what you have is like 3 utility skills and 1 elite? And those 3 utility skills typically have a very long cooldown and typically don't gel with each other. So pretty much by 20 (when you get your 3rd slot unlock) you can pretty much choose the 3 skills you want and then never change them ever except for very specific situations. Heck, the only time I changed my stuff around was to get in a run speed skill to move from point to point.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Voro wrote: »

Fuck.

Yeah, I saw your thread. Also made a reply that I'm sure will fall on deaf ears. Or blind eyes, whatever. Just making my rounds, trying to add my 2 cents to any thread that needs some logic and reason in it.

Haha well, thanks either way. I suppose my post was too long, but I like to try and be descriptive about these sort of things.

And then of course I find this reply:
    I found the personal story epic fun because it was a challenge.

You aren’t a bad player, you just aren’t willing to learn so you are failing.

Just try harder man and learn to dodge, use your skills correctly and don’t stand there and tank hits, button spam.

Good luck.
    I don't even. :|

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options

there's still a shitload of stuff to unlock!

you don't even have all your skill slots until level 30

there are a ton of skills to purchase with skill points

there are also trait points that actually do a lot more than just give you more numbers

trust me, there will be plenty

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Voro wrote: »

Fuck.

Haha well, thanks either way. I suppose my post was too long, but I like to try and be descriptive about these sort of things.

And then of course I find this reply:
    I found the personal story epic fun because it was a challenge.

You aren’t a bad player, you just aren’t willing to learn so you are failing.

Just try harder man and learn to dodge, use your skills correctly and don’t stand there and tank hits, button spam.

Good luck.
    I don't even. :|

:|

Seriously these people are fucked in the head. There were several situations while doing the personal story for my Charr Thief where it was a "Whoops the boss got to hit you once, gotta respawn and rush back." Not to mention the fact that the allies with me were made of god damned wet paper. This is not a situation of "lulz noob l2dodge" it's "I know what it was in the last beta, and this shit is ass throttingly harsh."

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

Click-to-move isn't a usual thing for MMOs though in my experience.

It's a pretty usual thing for Guild Warses though

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    It's weird to hear an MMO being too hard. Seriously. I think the Guild Wars team was afraid of people saying it wasn't worth the time because it was too easy and a grindfest, so they upped the difficulty to prevent this.

And then kinda got this.

Fantastic
  • Options
    Unlucky wrote: »
    It's weird to hear an MMO being too hard. Seriously. I think the Guild Wars team was afraid of people saying it wasn't worth the time because it was too easy and a grindfest, so they upped the difficulty to prevent this.

And then kinda got this.

honestly, i don't mind it too much. people are more likely to complain about an MMO being too hard than they are to complain about an MMO being too easy, so having the difficulty bar set too high and then lowered as opposed to the other way around means we're more likely to get something that's actually balanced in the end

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I love it that GW2 can get hard as balls even when you're just walking about in the world doing your own thing. In WoW it's all like "walk up to mob, hit ability, bam crit dead". That's not very satisfying. I really hope they keep the overworld in GW2 hard, even if it costs them a player or two. There's no other genuinely hard MMO out there right now.

• Options
    TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I've been really happy with the difficulty so far but I think levels 1-10 could use a bit more hand holding. None of my more casual friends couldn't complete their personal story quests without a lot of advice and ressing (even while overleveled/geared).

It was definitely a weird and satisfying experience to feel challenged while PvEing in an MMO

TannerMS on
  • Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    I love it that GW2 can get hard as balls even when you're just walking about in the world doing your own thing. In WoW it's all like "walk up to mob, hit ability, bam crit dead". That's not very satisfying. I really hope they keep the overworld in GW2 hard, even if it costs them a player or two. There's no other genuinely hard MMO out there right now.

Yeah, completely agree. Don't get me wrong! I love that it's really challenging and forces you to utilize everything your character's got. But as previously said, there's a difference between "challenging" and "soul crushing". When something kills me in one hit, or I have no idea why I died, or whatever, that's not fun. Nor challenging. There's nothing to learn from that, I just get frustrated cause I have no idea how I died.

I think it's just a matter of tuning, probably. I did actually find a thread in the official forums which got an ANet response, regarding one of the quests I mentioned:
    Aha, if memory serves… I went through this quest about a week ago and made it a lot easier (I reduced the number of elementals the named Son can summon, replaced some archers with lower level wolves, etc.) Unfortunately, I missed the deadline for this weekend’s Beta so the changes won’t show up until the next BWE. Sorry about that!

So that's cool.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Yeah, keeping the difficulty constant even if you go back to the starting zone 15 levels later is very refreshing.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    I'm really glad I got to try out the thief this weekend (even though the game blue-screened my computer twice). I settled on a pretty standard dual pistol/shortbow setup to keep enemies at range, but now I have a better understanding of the mechanics I think I want a dagger in my off hand. You're just not in stealth much otherwise, so things feel a bit static.

Acrobatics is my favourite trait tree, followed by Trickery.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    guys I just realized

as a Guardian, who does not have nearly as many skills as an Elementalist or Engineer, I could:
    - shotgun dudes in the face
    - bash dudes in the face
    - stab dudes in the face
    - immobilize dudes
    - knock dudes down or away
    - control enemy movement
    - be a spinning melee AoE nuke
    - have an army of arcane weapons to fight for me
    - create bubbles of safety/protection/healing/warding
    - light shit on fire
    - breathe fire
    - and SO MUCH MORE

that is a lot of different things for one dude to do

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    as a Guardian, who does not have nearly as many skills as an Elementalist or Engineer, I could:

<death by awesome>

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed in how bland mesmers feel compared to that. Couldn't feel they had anything visually distinctive other than turning illusions into butterflies.

• Options
    DrCongoDrCongo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Aha, if memory serves… I went through this quest about a week ago and made it a lot easier (I reduced the number of elementals the named Son can summon, replaced some archers with lower level wolves, etc.) Unfortunately, I missed the deadline for this weekend’s Beta so the changes won’t show up until the next BWE. Sorry about that!

These three words make me way happier than they have any right to. :D

• Options
    Next BWE is on a weekend

Next weekend is a weekend

Thus, next BWE this weekend

Do not argue with my wishful thinking logic

• Options
    Kafka87Kafka87 Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Vivixenne wrote: »

<death by awesome>

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed in how bland mesmers feel compared to that. Couldn't feel they had anything visually distinctive other than turning illusions into butterflies.

No! For shame! Mesmers are nothing but pure class and panache. It is important to look fabulous.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    reVerse wrote: »

Yeah, completely agree. Don't get me wrong! I love that it's really challenging and forces you to utilize everything your character's got. But as previously said, there's a difference between "challenging" and "soul crushing". When something kills me in one hit, or I have no idea why I died, or whatever, that's not fun. Nor challenging. There's nothing to learn from that, I just get frustrated cause I have no idea how I died.

I think it's just a matter of tuning, probably. I did actually find a thread in the official forums which got an ANet response, regarding one of the quests I mentioned:

Yes, there is definitely a handful of crap out there that isn't hard, just bullshit. I just hope that while they fix those issues, they don't "fix" the overall hardness of the game.

reVerse on
This discussion has been closed.