As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

HULK SMASH PUNY BOX OFFICE RECORDS!

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Nope no sir

I am going to sit in the corner and sulk

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Yeah I mean I'd struggle to kind of back up with examples why Captain America felt like a leader, or worked as the 'leader', but the way the film was paced and its kind of tone just swept you up into 'buying' a lot of things I wouldnt have as easily digested with another film. Im not saying it did this cheaply, or at the expense of internal film logic or anything, it just worked for me.

Although I havent seen Captain America the film, so I dont know if he is different or they underutilised him or something, but I immediately liked him, even my BLOOD FOR OIL friend who'd never seen any Marvel film before (maybe spiderman, i think thats marvel?), ended up loving him.

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Special Agent Robin Sparkles was in the film because Nick Fury needed someone to exposit to

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Special Agent Robin Sparkles was in the film because Nick Fury needed someone to exposit to

Could've easily, done that with coulston.

Plus, I really don't think she looks like Hill.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

yeah but she's adorable

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Movie, still not out in the states guys.

yeah but coulson has no reason to be there for half of hill's scenes

you don't want him to feel like nick fury's second in command
    also he's DEAD

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »

yeah but she's adorable

I don't want someone who's cute and cuddly.

I want someone who'll choke a bitch.

anyway the more Cobie Smulders in any film the better

or should I say

Cobie SMOULDERS

• LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    Possibly the biggest laugh in my audience:
    Hulk punching Thor.

The Avengers was filled to the brim with great moments. It was a long way from a bad movie, and I wouldn't mind watching it again.

Iron Man
    The Avengers
    The Incredible Hulk
    Thor
    Captain America
    Iron Man 2

Legba wrote: »
    Hulk punching Thor.
    Haha yeah I think everyone loved that because
    theres so much tension what with Hulk previously being this big threat, and for the movie to kind comically diffuse that felt very right in that moment. Also the Loki slamming was so ridiculous I just had to love it.

Smulders looks like Maria Hill to me but I can't say she at all projected Hillosity

but i have an irrational and abiding love for How I Met Your Mother so it didn't bother me

Like, I always viewed her as someone who is really thin and drawn out.

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I'm sure she'll provide much Hillarity in movies to come.

edited April 2012
    The only thing that bummed me out about this movie was that I saw it in Vmax and it didnt fill the whole screen, the sides were cut off, which I thought was weird for a new film, I asked the projectorer dude and he said it had something to do with the ratio of the film and their screen not matching up? It annoyed me to no end until I got used to it, thinking of seeing it in 2D on a smaller screen next

Prohass on
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    My only issue with the Avengers movie that isn't plot related was the 3D. You could see this film in 2D and it would not detract from the experience at all.

Plot related spoiler issues (and this is serious spoiler stuff so don't even think about looking if you haven't seen the film:
    Hawkeye could have done with some more fleshing out. The "knock to the head" plot explanation for him being cured of Loki's mind control wasn't great.

Karl on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Nah I think Red Skull has been the best comic book villain we've had so far in the movies.

Loki is, however, by a wide margin, the best movie villain we've had so far in the movies, so he wins out.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    That terrible review reminds me of the time my little brother came back from watching Batman Begins and complained that Scarecrow was just some guy in a mask.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • TaskmanTaskman Registered User regular
    Good film. Must have been hard balancing between a lot of big characters; they did a solid job of it. Made me want another Hulk. Spoilers are spoilers:
    The bit with Coulson and Loki was great. I kind of wondered at the start why they were fleshing out his character more when he's always been a second fiddle before. So, is Lieutenant whatsherface going to be Fury's adjutant in future films, then?

uGn5f.png
    Spoilers abundant:
    Prohass wrote: »
    Hulk punching Thor.
    Haha yeah I think everyone loved that because
    theres so much tension what with Hulk previously being this big threat, and for the movie to kind comically diffuse that felt very right in that moment. Also the Loki slamming was so ridiculous I just had to love it.
    Yeah, the Hulk really stole the show whenever he was around.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Hulk punching Thor.

Hmm, in our theater I think it might have been
    1. "He's adopted"
    2. Hulk punching Thor
    3. Hulk beating the shit out of Loki

With the punch I was thinking they were going to have a bro moment, but nope, POW
    I love how Thor didn't even care
    Like "Whatever man, Hulks gotta hulk. Getting punched by monsters is half my job description anyway"

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    tumblr_m3a875T4p21qkz9yno1_1280.jpg

b1ehrMM.gif
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    So why did this movie get released everywhere else way earlier than the US again?

Godfather wrote: »
    Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit with the Iron Man red lasers

That minute and a half of action where Tony and Rhody rip that Hammeroid force limb for limb is probably the best coreographed super hero fight possible in that time frame. It's brutal, vicious, and FAST. I believe it was story boarded by Genndy Tatarkosky too.

Yeah it was pretty goddamn beautiful. Definitely made up for the awful action in the first movie.

So why did this movie get released everywhere else way earlier than the US again?

They want the hype to build up as much as possible so that they can set records on the opening weekend

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Best countries first.

To clarify.

Turkey is better than you.

After seeing the scores on Rotten Tomatoes that makes sense, yeah

Turambar wrote: »
    Hulk punching Thor.

Hmm, in our theater I think it might have been
    1. "He's adopted"
    2. Hulk punching Thor
    3. Hulk beating the shit out of Loki

With the punch I was thinking they were going to have a bro moment, but nope, POW
    I love how Thor didn't even care
    Like "Whatever man, Hulks gotta hulk. Getting punched by monsters is half my job description anyway"

Oh god yes
    "He's adopted" got such a massive laugh. Great moment.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

Seen lots of claims that it's to fight piracy - that Europe will watch American cam vids, but America won't watch European cam vids. Why they didn't just release it on the same day world wide is a mystery. >.>

Although, I do love the lil' role reversal going on at IMDb and other movie boards. Usually there's a general "don't come on here if you don't want spoilers" attitude. Right now it's "stop posting spoilers, it's not fair!"

Oh brilliant
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    tumblr_m3a875T4p21qkz9yno1_1280.jpg

who was saying before how alex ross can draw beautifully but can't tell a story? was it shorty? because i can see that happening here

also that's right this movie is still not out in the us

ah ha ha ha ha ha

This Alex Ross thing you talk about interests me greatly!

Is there any way you can expound on that topic?

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Basically a lot of people, me included, think that Ross can do figure drawing just fine but his work has no sense of motion to it whatsoever and thus is poor comic art

comics aren't meant to look like still images, the art is supposed to flow and feel "alive"

CYpGAPn.png
    Also I would like to point out that in the last 5 or so years Marvel has put Thor, Iron Man and now (probably) the Ultimate X-Men in Oklahoma

I have no idea what is going on but I am loving it

CYpGAPn.png
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular

Seen lots of claims that it's to fight piracy - that Europe will watch American cam vids, but America won't watch European cam vids. Why they didn't just release it on the same day world wide is a mystery. >.>

Although, I do love the lil' role reversal going on at IMDb and other movie boards. Usually there's a general "don't come on here if you don't want spoilers" attitude. Right now it's "stop posting spoilers, it's not fair!"

Yeah they might be in for a shock when the US haul isn't quite as spectacular as they thought because, you know, spoilers and such.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    I really, really doubt people aren't going to buy tickets to the Avengers because the goddamn plot got spoiled

people want to see the Avengers because it has all the Marvel superheroes teaming up and wrecking shit

not because of it's daring plot twists and deep narrative

CYpGAPn.png
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Yeah they might be in for a shock when the US haul isn't quite as spectacular as they thought because, you know, spoilers and such.

I doubt the average moviegoer has suffered spoilers
    And even if they have, it wouldn't make them not see the movie

It's all about the funny dialogue and amazing action

Blankzilla wrote: »
    Also I would like to point out that in the last 5 or so years Marvel has put Thor, Iron Man and now (probably) the Ultimate X-Men in Oklahoma

I have no idea what is going on but I am loving it

See I am starting to do a lot of research into what makes great comic book construction as an art form! Although I am not a fan of either Marvel or DC superhero comics (obviously), what I do like is understanding the underlining of the medium as a whole.

I am well aware of Alex Ross' artwork, but have actually seen very few of the actual books that he's worked on. I've only glanced through a few, but so far the only one that comes to mind is one of those terrible super-crossover yearly events, and I recall it being kind of a pain to go through.

Is there any way you or another person could PM me a more thorough insight on it by chance?

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    If you want a good example of Ross then scare up a copy of Kingdom Come

Solid book, though it can be a bit hammy in parts

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    If you want a good example of Ross then scare up a copy of Kingdom Come

Solid book, though it can be a bit hammy in parts

Hammy as in everyone looks like they've eaten several hams?

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Kingdom Come is a great story

This discussion has been closed.