As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bitching Thread VI] A Brand New Day (for bitching)

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what River Song has to do with Artemis, but River Song is definitely awful

sorry, Arivia

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what River Song has to do with Artemis, but River Song is definitely awful

sorry, Arivia

Yeah, CD's right.

IKknkhU.gif
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    How can you both be so wrong? She's fantastic and amazing!

huntresssig.jpg
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I think we'd all feel better with some baklava. It's like eating a tiny 300 page delicious book made of honey.

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    We can all agree on that.

Crimsondude on
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Arivia wrote: »

You know what? High Five. I agree.

But ok, I realized something. I just don't like zip-a-tone very much. Like I suppose this is more of a half bitch than a full on hate kind of thing, but a lot of the times I think they get overused. Like cases where they are layered over a background like a little zip-a-tone roller. Almost looks like they are trying to hide some of their line work, and I dunno. It can work for me sometimes, but not too often. Just an aesthetic that's not my favorite.

Though that's not as bad as when they add motion blur to comics. HATE THAT.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg

The way that she comes off to me is like they wanted to write a Catwoman type of foil for the Doctor, only she's not clever, she's not sexy, and bits like "you always leave the parking brake on" are just incredibly, almost insultingly transparent gimmicks to make her seem more amazing than she actually is. She comes off to me as the worst kind of fan-fiction character.

The way that she comes off to me is like they wanted to write a Catwoman type of foil for the Doctor, only she's not clever, she's not sexy, and bits like "you always leave the parking brake on" are just incredibly, almost insultingly transparent gimmicks to make her seem more amazing than she actually is. She comes off to me as the worst kind of fan-fiction character.

Yep.

IKknkhU.gif
    You know who I miss? Romana. She was cool.

You know who I miss? Romana. She was cool.

I know, right?!

They haven't even acknowledged her existence in the new series.

I really want Romana back.

IKknkhU.gif
    edited April 2012

Her writing makes more sense when you realize she's not an independent foil, she's his wife and she's acting like it. It's loving needling, not "I'm better than the stodgy old Doctor." She's quite clever!

edit: also, yes, Romana was great. Mary Tamm was my avatar on here for awhile.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

Arivia there is something you need to understand.

I LOVE River Song. Every damn bit.

But a lot of people don't.

Quire.jpg
    Those people are wrong and need to have their heads checked.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Her writing makes more sense when you realize she's not an independent foil, she's his wife and she's acting like it. It's loving needling, not "I'm better than the stodgy old Doctor." She's quite clever!

edit: also, yes, Romana was great. Mary Tamm was my avatar on here for awhile.

If they ever bring Romana back the need to give her an actress who looks similar to Tamm's version.

Harry Dresden on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    River Song sucked

because she is a Doctor Who character

and they all suck

Solar on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    It's good having Havoc back on Earth, but he is being a massive dick in X-Factor. Especially considering his claim to leadership with the team is "Wolverine says so." He's pretty out-of-character with how Peter David has written him in the past. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into things - the cast has gotten so big with so much going on with so many ongoing plot threads, there hasn't been enough focus on Alex's thoughts upon returning.

Anybody know if X-Factor is going to be tying in AvX at all? I really hope not.

• RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    Why not? Don't you want to see a creatively rich book nosedive in quality so you can see your favorite X-Factor members battling it out with B-list Avengers who weren't popular enough to make the main series?

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    In all fairness, X-Factor versus the Great Lakes Avengers would be pretty great.

Incidentally, here's a bitch: I stopped by Wal-Mart to pick up a couple things, and saw they had an Avengers display, with DVDs, comics, etc.

I bought the Hulk V.S. DVD for $5.

Meanwhile, this rather thin comic was $3.80, marked down from $3.99.

Seriously, if anyone wants to know why parents/kids don't buy comics anymore, there you go. A comic that takes fifteen minutes to read, versus a movie that'll keep a kid occupied for an hour and a half? It's no contest.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a viable way of getting the cost of comics down, either.

Munch on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    Once comics embrace the digital fully, they'll go down in price. I work in the online journals business, and while still a bit of a rip-off, its not as much as it used to be. Plus, once the digital infrastructure is in place, prices will go way down.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
    I read Superman Grounded today. I want to apologize for saying Chew is a bad comic. Now I know for reals what a bad comic is. Chew is just... not good.

And the heck with Romana and River Song. Sarah Jane 4ever!

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Hensler wrote: »
    I read Superman Grounded today. I want to apologize for saying Chew is a bad comic. Now I know for reals what a bad comic is. Chew is just... not good.

How did you get past the first issue where Superman leaves a kid to fend for himself against pissed off drug dealers?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    Oh Seattle...god bless you for your recent Watchmen reinactment, complete with superheros pepper spraying protestors...

So, I thought about buying The Tick's 100th issue today, saw it was $6.99 for 24 pages of story, and said, "Fffffffffuck that."

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    There are people who wil still buy it nd that makes me sigh

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I bought Ultimate Spider-man today and as much as I enjoyed it, 4 bucks for 19 pages still felt like a bit of a rip off.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I've told you already it was 20 pages!

(but the point still stands) :(
    It'd be really nice if Marvel either brings their prices back down to 3 dollars, or starts giving more pages again, but unfortunetly the market is supporting the current Marvel trend of 20 pages for 4 bucks .

UltimateInferno on
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I always think of that one article comparing Comics to other Media/Entertainment pricewise.

Cause it's fun to find things like this, Planet Hulk Trade 25$

vs Planet Hulk 2 Disc special edition for 9$

It's like, ya the readers/long fans know/have reasons for wanting the trade, but what one is average consumer gonna choose.

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Munch wrote: »
    So, I thought about buying The Tick's 100th issue today, saw it was $6.99 for 24 pages of story, and said, "Fffffffffuck that."

They do it to get suckers like me who just buy every comic every week without looking at cover prices. Oh well, I'm sure it will be worth millions of dollars someday :D.

Secret Avengers is fine and all, but I know I am an idiot paying $4 an issue.

Wolverine and the X-Men is the only book I'm paying $4 for anymore

because it is worth it.

I'm glad I'm trade waiting. Granted, I'm always about 6 months behind on the forum gossip, but it sure does save me cash.

Well, I'm turning in my order form for July on Saturday, so ... eh. Three more issues isn't going to kill me. After that, I'm probably going to trade wait everything but Captain Marvel so that I can support that book because the Direct Market is a fucking idiotic business model.

Grrrr.

Fucking DM. Fucking comics. Fucking comics fans.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Wolverine and the X-Men is the only book I'm paying $4 for anymore

because it is worth it.
    you should be buying MTMTE at the very least.

I'm really thinking about going down to trades only, from now on, for everything but indie titles, and a select few Marvel titles I'm already buying.

I mean, I want to read new stuff coming down the pipe, like Dark Avengers, but I could be spending a lot less money every week, if I just started trade-waiting everything. And there's so much older stuff I still need to buy in TPB; The Killer vol. 2, Blacksad vol. 2, the rest of Pak's Hulk run I'm missing, etc.

Well, I'm turning in my order form for July on Saturday, so ... eh. Three more issues isn't going to kill me. After that, I'm probably going to trade wait everything but Captain Marvel so that I can support that book because the Direct Market is a fucking idiotic business model.

Grrrr.

Fucking DM. Fucking comics. Fucking comics fans.

I've got a big long wish list on Amazon of trades I'm stalking and waiting for the price to be reduced enough for me to buy. That's how I trade wait. Incredible Hercules for $5 and Batgirl for $8? Yes please!

I tried to trade-wait when I started my new job, but they slowly drew me back in to where I'm now buying almost as many titles as I was before. Now I'm trying to go mostly digital - bought an iPad 3 and everything. Hopefully prices on digital comics will keep going down, making it pay off in the long run.

• SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I've been trying to keep myself in the habit of staying an issue behind for the $1 discount on comixology (for most non-Marvel stuff at least). Its nice, but missing out on most of the discussion of things is annoying.

I'm hovering somewhere between going back to my LCS for Marvel stuff with the digital codes, or just forgetting things exist until they bulk discount older things. I'm slowly catching up on Amazing Spider-Man, and somewhere down the road the prices jump from $2 to $4 an issue, which will more than likely put me off for a while. I just can't see myself paying $4 for a single issue anymore. Last time I found myself about to do that I bought the entire first trade of Atomic Robo for $4 instead.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
    Unfortunately, its hard to trade wait for DC, as they take so dang long to get things into trade, and not as high a percentage of books get collected in trades. Hopefully the Vertigo-ish titles in the new DC 52 will be collected in trades (Animal Man, Swamp Thing).

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I bought Ultimate Spider-man today and as much as I enjoyed it, 4 bucks for 19 pages still felt like a bit of a rip off.

That's why its good to buy the series in trades or bargain prices at comic stores. I got dozens of issues of USM with the latter.

Harry Dresden on
This discussion has been closed.