As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sonic the Hedgehog] New Sonic All-Stars Racing trailer... with Afterburner stage!

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's literally one guy's ego spoiling the whole thing for the rest of us. Maybe TSR can explain further, but it sounds like this guy is so full of himself that he didn't anyone to potentially steal his thunder.

YL9WnCY.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Between Black Mesa, CryZone, and now Sonic 2 HD, it's pretty clear that getting excited for a massive fan project is really just a waste of time.

From now on, as far as I'm concerned, fan projects don't exist until they're playable.

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    I'm scared to ask what CryZone is.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »
    I'm scared to ask what CryZone is.

So am I.

*Googles*

It's a STALKER mod made in CryEngine2. Something I'm rather indifferent to.

steam_sig.png
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    It's literally one guy's ego spoiling the whole thing for the rest of us. Maybe TSR can explain further, but it sounds like this guy is so full of himself that he didn't anyone to potentially steal his thunder.

Naw, it's more than that now. Sometime during that year long lull where they had finished the art assets for EHZ and waiting for lOst to deliver his engine, a couple of key members of the staff had to quit to tend to real careers. The project has been pretty much dead for a while now. lOst leaving, and the bad publicity, just made them formally announce it.

• EVOLEVOL Registered User regular

Naw, it's more than that now. Sometime during that year long lull where they had finished the art assets for EHZ and waiting for lOst to deliver his engine, a couple of key members of the staff had to quit to tend to real careers. The project has been pretty much dead for a while now. lOst leaving, and the bad publicity, just made them formally announce it.

Man, that project was just one huge clusterfuck. It seems like it was a miracle that anything came out of that at all.

edited April 2012
    Sonic and Sega All-stars Racing Transform announced. Looks awesome. Gillus Thunderhead on a beast is confirmed, as is Vyse in his sky machine. There is also a panzer dragoon course. Vectorman is in, too.

TheSonicRetard on
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Steam multiplayer please?

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    Sonic and Sega All-stars Racing Transform announced. Looks awesome. Gillus Thunderhead on a beast is confirmed, as is Vyse in his sky machine. There is also a panzer dragoon course. Vectorman is in, too.

Given how good the original SASASR was, I have high expectations for this. I just hope Big the Cat is still in; the fun I derived from making online opponents go from saying "Pffft, he's using Big! Hahaha!" to "...WE GOT BEATEN BY BIG?!"

Ah, good times.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
    rev-up-for-sonic-all-stars-racing-transformed--20120430064347497.jpg

Panzer Dragoon's world. Note the Shellcoff from Panzer dragoon Zwei in the background.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    interesting

is there a trailer yet?

A gameplay video with a remix of Panzer Dragoon's Flight as the song.

Ristar is in this, too.

TheSonicRetard on

Given how good the original SASASR was, I have high expectations for this. I just hope Big the Cat is still in; the fun I derived from making online opponents go from saying "Pffft, he's using Big! Hahaha!" to "...WE GOT BEATEN BY BIG?!"

Ah, good times.

Digital sumo picked up a lot of staff that worked on Blur for this game. It's more like Diddy Kong Racing than Mario Kart now, because your car can transform into a flying machine or a boat.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Ah, good times.

Digital sumo picked up a lot of staff that worked on Blur for this game. It's more like Diddy Kong Racing than Mario Kart now, because your car can transform into a flying machine or a boat.

...you mean like Mario Kart 7? :P

Switch: 3947-4890-9293

Ah, good times.

Probably a good thing I liked Blur too, then. Did seem strange that they never released a sequel.

cloudeagle wrote: »

Ah, good times.

...you mean like Mario Kart 7? :P

No, I mean like DKR, because, unlike MK7, all the vehicles felt different in DKR. In Mario Kart, no matter what kind of vehicle you had, they felt the same. This is going to be more like DKR.

Ah, good times.

Probably a good thing I liked Blur too, then. Did seem strange that they never released a sequel.

Unfortunately it's because Blur sold horribly.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    blur was cool but they made the mistake of having that open beta, which supplied me and my friends just enough fun that we never had to actually buy the game... seriously that beta was out for weeks

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • FremFrem Registered User regular

Vectorman has to be his own car / boat / plane. Seriously. Bonus points if he transforms into his normal robot form at slow speeds, or when making really tight turns. I'm also hoping there are occasional poles by the side of/over the road for Ristar to grab.

Was there any meaningful Z-axis in DKR when flying? All the planes look like they're on the same plane in midair in the trailer.

• TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    The 360 version better fucking have Banjo and Tip-Tup.

edited April 2012
    I see BD Joe and Beat in that trailer. Alongside Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy and Eggman, that's 7 returning characters plus 4 new characters confirmed so far.

BlitzAce1981 on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I find it funny that Sonic gets apecific mention. Is he just not that associated with Sega in the eyes of the general public these days?

YL9WnCY.png
    it's so when people search online for 'sonic games', that comes up

plus it's supposed to be sonic's mario kart, so if anything it's weird they threw sega in there

• mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hmm. I'm not really sure about this boat and plane thing. I don't like the idea of transforming every 30 seconds and completely changing the gameplay mechanics. It would be awesome if it were more like DKR where you picked one type (some of which may not be available depending on the course) and used it the whole race.

Mario Kart 7 isn't really a good comparison here because it barely actually changes the gameplay in that. For the underwater segments, it's the same except floatier, and the gliding segments (in which you can't actually fly) generally just have you gliding in a straight line down to the road. Transformed looks like DKR with MK7's "forced switch mid-race" mechanic thrown in.

mntorankusu on
    I find it funny that Sonic gets apecific mention. Is he just not that associated with Sega in the eyes of the general public these days?

It may be more that modern gamers who didn't grow up with Sega consoles don't really know anyone except Sonic.

• IgortIgort Registered User regular
    it's so when people search online for 'sonic games', that comes up

plus it's supposed to be sonic's mario kart, so if anything it's weird they threw sega in there

Not really wierd, considering how many non-Sonic characters are in the games...

mario kart has had a decent amount of non-mario characters in them (diddy kong, R.O.B., donkey kong JR), and mario kart works fine as a name

it's sonic kart to me, no matter what silly name sega comes up with
    hell, even crash bandicoot managed to pay homage in name

mario kart has had a decent amount of non-mario characters in them (diddy kong, R.O.B., donkey kong JR), and mario kart works fine as a name

it's sonic kart to me, no matter what silly name sega comes up with
    hell, even crash bandicoot managed to pay homage in name

Crash team racing

uh....

edited April 2012
    for some reason i named it crash kart racing in my mind

i may be dyslexic

EDIT: i meant this one i guess?
    crash-kart-ps2.jpg

Local H Jay on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    for some reason i named it crash kart racing in my mind

i may be dyslexic

EDIT: i meant this one i guess?
    crash-kart-ps2.jpg

There was also this:

CrashTeamRacingNACover.png

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    But CTR was the mario kart clone, and very good

Crash Nitro Kart isn't really a mario kart clone, and it's no where near good

edited April 2012
    EDIT: Double post

TheSonicRetard on
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Hmm. I'm not really sure about this boat and plane thing. I don't like the idea of transforming every 30 seconds and completely changing the gameplay mechanics. It would be awesome if it were more like DKR where you picked one type (some of which may not be available depending on the course) and used it the whole race.

ExciteBots pulled off the same gimmick pretty well, though it seems that hardly anybody played it around here.

• amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    But CTR was the mario kart clone, and very good
    CTR was, as far as I'm concerned, so much better than Mario Kart 64.

SASASR was also significantly better than I had expected of it, and I played the PC version. I will keep my eye on this.

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2012
    Eurogamer's preview for Sonic All-stars says that it has an adventure mode directly inspired by Mario Galaxy. There is also XP you earn when you race, which can buy stickers, which grant you abilities, sorta like in Smash Bros. Put stickers on your kart, and you can do new things. Apparently the tracks are a lot bigger than they seem, with lots of branching paths, which only open up when you have the right abilities.

Also, the budget for this game is supposedly "massive" and the underlying tech is brand new - Sega is creating the engine with next-gen consoles in mind. Think of it sorta like Crysis, where this is going to be a much scaled back version of the engine, with lots of things turned off. The idea is that, when next-gen comes, Sega will already have a mature engine out there that they can license and use at will.

This is going to fucking rule.

TheSonicRetard on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    I guess they confirmed that the PC version will have online play this time. Probably Steamworks.

hooray

but I guess it won't really be playable with a steering wheel this time, which is the main reason I like to buy racing games on the PC. Oh well. At least it'll be cheaper and run at 60fps.

• DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Needs the transformer transforming sound.

• ShutdownShutdown Registered User regular
    Alex Kidd has got to be a shoe-in to return: Bike --> Speedboat --> Copter.

This is going to be awesome.

• IgortIgort Registered User regular
    This is going to fucking rule.
    Shutdown wrote: »
    This is going to be awesome.

My sentiments exactly. Very excited for this.