As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Magic: the Gathering: Cardboard Crack

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Yeah, so, the pair ability is only removed if the creatures change sides or leave the battlefield. They lose all abilities that would be granted from being paired if they both lose abilities, and only one card in the whole of MTG would impact them any differently. But I guess there is a circumstance where it matters, so...

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Yeah, so, the pair ability is only removed if the creatures change sides or leave the battlefield. They lose all abilities that would be granted from being paired if they both lose abilities, and only one card in the whole of MTG would impact them any differently. But I guess there is a circumstance where it matters, so...

Where are you seeing this? They haven't updated the comp rules on the website yet.

(What you're saying makes total sense, I just want to know where the rules updates are.)

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    edit: mis-post, was editing and accidentally quoted.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Forar wrote: »
    Of course, that said, I am a sucker for little events like the Helvault thing. To make things simple they basically just laid out the tokens, dice, oversized cards and a pile of random old pre-release and promo cards, and we got to pick a total of 5. Snagged a promo Decree of Justice, the spindown die and 3 of the foil demon/angel tokens (the other promos were just Glissa the Traitor, whom I already have one of, and I don't actually use any of the oversized cards).
    Foil? Decree of Justice? Ummmmmmmm................ you do realize you were one of the very very very few stores to get a foil helvault? Most stores got non-foil versions of the EDH cards and tokens. And 0 old promos.

Pick five items? You should have picked 5x Justice which were going for $100~ before this silliness happened.

Lol yes I'm a little bitter about this foil helvault nonsense, sorry if it sounds like I'm upset at you.
    metaghost wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Why would the reflection override bonds? It's not like it's forcing zone changes, and the soul bond trigger already happened.
    The static abilities that make the bond actually do anything, however…

As someone who primarily plays online, I don't naturally recognize triggers. So, while watching this game happen, I was looking at it from the perspective that without the line "they remain paired as long you control both of them" no longer technically existing, there was nothing defining the relationship. But I get what you're saying, that that line is part of the trigger at the time of pairing, and thus defines the paired cards for as long as they remain on board.
    I believe those are called timed triggers? Delayed triggers? Anyways, for example cards with "exile this at the end of the combat step" is a timed trigger. It went off, now it's waiting for the timer to finish. If you Turn to Frog it and take away all its abilities, it still has the timer ticking down to its death.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Foil? Decree of Justice? Ummmmmmmm................ you do realize you were one of the very very very few stores to get a foil helvault? Most stores got non-foil versions of the EDH cards and tokens. And 0 old promos.

Pick five items? You should have picked 5x Justice which were going for $100~ before this silliness happened.

Lol yes I'm a little bitter about this foil helvault nonsense, sorry if it sounds like I'm upset at you.

I just noticed the (at least) 3-4+ threads rolling on MTGS where people are having kittens over the Helvault thing.

I have sincere doubts that they're worth over $100, given that SCG has 11 of them in stock and they're only $15 each NM. Now, the people that supposedly got foil/judge promo Exalted Angels were sitting on $50 bills, and there's word some people got judge Demonic Tutors, which are indeed around $120, but I imagine they'll drop at least a bit with the additional copies entering circulation.

In hindsight yes, I kind of wish I'd taken another DoJ or two (if I was even allowed; extra tokens wasn't a problem for them, they might've objected to multiples of something they had a smaller number of). Considering how fast we ran out of the oversized cards, it seems those were more popular with our 62 players than the DoJs. *shrug*

I'd actually be kind of happy to see the Judge EA's drop a bit (it's one of my favourite pieces of art in the history of Magic), but at the same time I already own 4 EA's (one foil, but it's just a regular one, which means boarder only) so I can't justify paying the $45 that's being asked for on Ebay. Been tempted to get the artwork on a custom playmat instead.

Edit: while I can empathize with being disappointed (and am not taking it personal), think of them like booster packs for the prerelease. Sometimes people open better stuff than you do, sometimes you hit the jackpot. My sealed pool was mostly shit and the best card I pulled across 12 packs is worth $8 (and unless it finds a home in a tournament deck, that'll probably drop in the next few weeks/months), contrasted by the guy who opened a foil Temporal Mastery ($60-100+) in his pool.

I'm just glad that the guys who spoiled the Helvault contents apparently snagged crappy ones. Imagine if everyone went to every prerelease expecting Judge EAs and DTs. The outrage would've been orders of magnitude worse.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Wait, what? Foil promos in the helvault? Is that a random thing? Ours just had oversized cards, spindowns, and angel/demon tokens :(

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Nullzone wrote: »
    Wait, what? Foil promos in the helvault? Is that a random thing? Ours just had oversized cards, spindowns, and angel/demon tokens :(

Foil Judge promo cards, Wraths, Decrees and so on.

They weren't actually random, a representative on Twitter said that the loaded ones were handed out to higher performing stores. Which I bet you'd just love to hear as a smaller store owner. It won't hurt as much this time, given it was the first time it's happened.

But next time they do this, people are going to end up going to the larger stores in hopes of this happening, which leads to it just cycling round.

Kelor on
    Ugh, so they weren't even random? Yeah, great way to kill the little stores there Wizards...

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    daaaaaaaaang

wizards that is pretty harsh

There's been some discussion saying that it may have been somewhat random (ie; bigger/higher performing venues were more likely to get them, but far as I know it wasn't like "do this well, get special Helvault").

Also, if they give stores an incentive to cap registration (or even request it), it might make getting a slot in a big venue more attractive, but it wouldn't necessarily kill smaller venues. The one I went to capped entry at 64 people, and apparently the Helvault contents were (at base) aimed at 54 players, so assuming they kept doing that, it's not like one store could take up all of the players. The rest would have to bleed over elsewhere simply through limited spots.

And if there is an element of randomness, it could make the turnout for the next event all the better overall. Who knows, maybe the next event will toss a little something to the smaller venues.

On further thought, boosting the bigger venues makes sense anyway, doesn't it? Elsewhere I'm seeing reports of tournaments run with 10-20 people. Would it really get the most special stuff in the hands of the most people firing off limited resources to stores that only fill 1/5 to 1/2 of a tournament?

The reason people are flipping their shit about this is the secrecy of the situation. It's as if Wizards forgot the fucking internet existed and nobody would find out this happened. They could have been up front about it, but instead they decided to be as shitty as possible about it and let us figure out they were being shitty.

There's been some discussion saying that it may have been somewhat random (ie; bigger/higher performing venues were more likely to get them, but far as I know it wasn't like "do this well, get special Helvault").

Also, if they give stores an incentive to cap registration (or even request it), it might make getting a slot in a big venue more attractive, but it wouldn't necessarily kill smaller venues. The one I went to capped entry at 64 people, and apparently the Helvault contents were (at base) aimed at 54 players, so assuming they kept doing that, it's not like one store could take up all of the players. The rest would have to bleed over elsewhere simply through limited spots.

And if there is an element of randomness, it could make the turnout for the next event all the better overall. Who knows, maybe the next event will toss a little something to the smaller venues.

On further thought, boosting the bigger venues makes sense anyway, doesn't it? Elsewhere I'm seeing reports of tournaments run with 10-20 people. Would it really get the most special stuff in the hands of the most people firing off limited resources to stores that only fill 1/5 to 1/2 of a tournament?

The problem with your line of thinking is that big stores are often big simply through their own engine and don't need the help. It's a "rich get richer" scheme, and stores that can only support a limited number of players (mine was capped at 24, because that is literally all the space we have) shouldn't be penalized for operating to the extent of their means. They already have an uphill battle in most cases.

If it was truly random that would be a little less shitty, though I would still prefer that promotional materials were handed out in equal parts to everyone; we get randomness from the packs, adding random to the promo side is just going to encourage the same people to participate multiple times and potentially cut someone else out in the process.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    The reason people are flipping their shit about this is the secrecy of the situation. It's as if Wizards forgot the fucking internet existed and nobody would find out this happened. They could have been up front about it, but instead they decided to be as shitty as possible about it and let us figure out they were being shitty.

No... it's the exact same thing as the "Priceless Treasures" in the initial Zendikar runs. Let a few slip out there, let the internet spread the buzz of a possible "super Helvault". The regular Helvaults were a fine enough promotion, and nobody who didn't know about the special ones were really hurt by the lack of knowledge.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

No... it's the exact same thing as the "Priceless Treasures" in the initial Zendikar runs. Let a few slip out there, let the internet spread the buzz of a possible "super Helvault". The regular Helvaults were a fine enough promotion, and nobody who didn't know about the special ones were really hurt by the lack of knowledge.

Eh, if they had been random, or if the foils had been randomly distributed within the helvaults, I would agree with you.

But giving the extra-special helvaults to the biggest stores was kind of a crappy thing to do. It's basically a big 'fuck you' to small store owners.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

How is it a "fuck you" to small store owners? The "fact" (speculated rumor) that they only went to Advanced-level stores -- and only a handful of them at that -- wasn't advertised ahead of time, so there was no motivation to go elsewhere.

Also, small stores are just that: small. They don't have the room to hold much more than the 32 players you need for one event (per year) to qualify for Advanced status. Helvault events (special or not) were advised to be capped at 54 players; driving additional traffic for some sort of lottery by advertising that fact ahead of time just results in having to either turn people away (due to either space restrictions or event caps). That's not a good business model by any stretch of the imagination.

Giving unannounced/random bonuses to larger stores is harmless. It rewards the larger stores a little, and doesn't hurt the smaller ones at all.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

Eh, if they had been random, or if the foils had been randomly distributed within the helvaults, I would agree with you.

But giving the extra-special helvaults to the biggest stores was kind of a crappy thing to do. It's basically a big 'fuck you' to small store owners.

According to Helene Bergeot, the special vaults were "Randomly distributed among WPN Advanced Stores", which are defined as:
    To qualify to participate as an Advanced retail location, your store needs to do the following (in the preceding 12 months):

Report a minimum of 20 tournaments
    Maintain a delinquency rate of less than 10%
    Have a minimum of 100 unique people playing in your reported events
    Run and report a single tournament with 32 players or more
    Introduce 20 new players to WPN events

So... you know, if you want to earn the best promotion, be a better store. Not just a bigger store, a better store.

I realize some stores may be so small and in such weird locations that they can't ever hope to become an Advanced Store, but I get the feeling Wizards is happy to work with competent and professional store owners to find the best way to maximum your business. I don't think losing out on the ability to distribute some potentially rare foil promos is going to destroy some stores ability to function. I mean, what about the store that found their supervault was full of Serra Avengers? Should they bitch because they didn't get the Demonic Tutor vault?

edited April 2012
    Giving unannounced/random bonuses to larger stores is harmless. It rewards the larger stores a little, and doesn't hurt the smaller ones at all.

If it generates an incentive for players to travel to larger stores, it siphons players away from smaller stores. Prereleases and releases are pretty much zero sum - there's a limited number, and a small store can't dodge competition with a large store by having their event on a different night.

If this is the only time they do it, then the harm is negligible. I don't want them to do it again.

Feral on

"I heard the advanced store has more stuff, let's go there instead of the other store" = Advanced store easily meets requirements. AKA rich get richer.

"Magic said they aren't doing the foil helvault thing this time, but everyone's going to that advanced store anyways because it might happen again." = Non-advanced store has a more difficult time becoming advanced, and lose more customers. AKA Poor get poorer.

jCyyTSo.png
    edited April 2012
    Which they could offset by doing something like granting smaller stores a bonus next time (perhaps not as big due to the smaller turnout, but just a little incentive to keep the playerbase guessing), or not having the special events every time (similar effect, if it's a once per block/year treat people will generally stick with whats convenient, and if they don't it's not often enough to necessarily dent the average turnout), or something else.

Personally I remain annoyed with using rares instead of mythics for the promo cards, but I imagine they won't change that up anytime soon.

Given that the next block is a return to Ravnica, it wouldn't surprise me if they did some sort of Guild based event for one or more of the prereleases, but with all the guilds (10?) it feels like something that'd be better filled by going with a variety of promo cards.

Edit: in case I didn't mention it, I paid and went expecting nothing but the base Helvault, hoping for a spin down die (to go with my fatpack collection) and maybe some other swag. I understand the disappointment, and don't wish to minimize how nice a judge foil is (still wish it was the EA :( ), but at the end of the day is it really anything to be terribly bothered about?

Now, the Magic 20th Anniversary (2013 I think?), I'm definitely going to whatever big event is in the area.

Forar on
    Which they could offset by doing something like granting smaller stores a bonus next time (perhaps not as big due to the smaller turnout, but just a little incentive to keep the playerbase guessing)

That would be fine. As long as smaller stores get some love too.

Now, the Magic 20th Anniversary (2013 I think?), I'm definitely going to whatever big event is in the area.

Thank you for proving our point

but at the end of the day is it really anything to be terribly bothered about?
    Mail me your foil tokens and I'll mail you my regular ones.

jCyyTSo.png
    Nullzone wrote: »

Thank you for proving our point

I don't believe I ever argued otherwise. I even agreed that they should switch up the little bonuses earlier.

And let's keep in mind that WOTC ended the big regional prereleases for a variety of reasons, including (as I recall) citing an effort to spread the attendance around.

"I heard the advanced store has more stuff, let's go there instead of the other store" = Advanced store easily meets requirements. AKA rich get richer.

"Magic said they aren't doing the foil helvault thing this time, but everyone's going to that advanced store anyways because it might happen again." = Non-advanced store has a more difficult time becoming advanced, and lose more customers. AKA Poor get poorer.

Again, if the small store in question has to turn away players in excess of, say, 42 (my store's capacity without some creative furniture rearranging) then they aren't losing much if that were to happen. The Helvault events were theoretically capped at 54*; any similar events down the line would have similar limits, so you would basically be sacrificing your chance at getting anything for a small chance of maybe hitting the jackpot. Yeah, that sounds like positive EV.

Now, the special Helvaults were supposedly distributed randomly amongst the subset of Advanced stores. But does WotC know where they went? If they do, what are the chances that those same stores will "randomly" get bonuses again?

*Although the Sunday event I went to had nearly 80 thanks to a large kids/family turnout; those of us who had already opened two or three of the things on Saturday just declined the additional swag (and some of us even donated our excess crap, like duplicate Commanders and/or spare dice) to spread the love around.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif

Again, if the small store in question has to turn away players in excess of, say, 42 (my store's capacity without some creative furniture rearranging) then they aren't losing much if that were to happen. The Helvault events were theoretically capped at 54*; any similar events down the line would have similar limits, so you would basically be sacrificing your chance at getting anything for a small chance of maybe hitting the jackpot. Yeah, that sounds like positive EV.

Now, the special Helvaults were supposedly distributed randomly amongst the subset of Advanced stores. But does WotC know where they went? If they do, what are the chances that those same stores will "randomly" get bonuses again?

*Although the Sunday event I went to had nearly 80 thanks to a large kids/family turnout; those of us who had already opened two or three of the things on Saturday just declined the additional swag (and some of us even donated our excess crap, like duplicate Commanders and/or spare dice) to spread the love around.
    The event was capped at 54, and the "small store" (which I referred to as non-advanced) had to turn people away because of WotC's cap. The store can support over 128 people.

Note advance stores also get a 3rd exclusive gateway promo every quarter. I don't hear any complaints about that. I believe it's because every advanced store receives it equally. Not random. This is a completely different point then the "rich get richer" thing. I guess people don't mind the rich getting richer as long as it's not random and wotc is up front about it. Also, maybe that the difference isn't a $15-$100 promo.

jCyyTSo.png
    Note advance stores also get a 3rd exclusive gateway promo every quarter. I don't hear any complaints about that. I believe it's because every advanced store receives it equally. Not random. This is a completely different point then the "rich get richer" thing. I guess people don't mind the rich getting richer as long as it's not random and wotc is up front about it. Also, maybe that the difference isn't a $15-$100 promo.

Yeah, the Advanaced Gateway promos (and the Gateway promos in general, lately) are generally trash. Sometimes it manages to be something playable (Shrine of Burning Rage, Signal Pest), but most of the time you just get junk (Circle of Flame, Boneyard Wurm, Curse of Thirst). And you only get ten of them, as opposed to 30 of the two common(er) ones. These bonuses have only been available starting with Scars (Skinrender) anyway.

My store's Advanced and gets these, and I still had to look most of them up since I've basically shut them out of my memory. :P

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    edited May 2012
    Edit: eh, fuck this. I'm not sure how to interpret this. All I know is that the 54-player cap doesn't seem right. Channel Fireball's Helvault events were capped at 216 players.

Feral on

• SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    Uhm, no one had to be turned away. The cap was the limit on the amount of product support that they were giving away for free, not a cap for how many players could play in the event.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Edit: eh, fuck this. I'm not sure how to interpret this. All I know is that the 54-player cap doesn't seem right. Channel Fireball's Helvault events were capped at 216 players.

Did they perhaps just run four of them?

The 54 player cap was based off of players getting 1 of item A, 2 of item B and 1 of item C, as I recall from the scan of the instructions that came with at least one Helvault.

Organizers were, as far as I know, free to run as many people as they wanted, and I believe the instructions even accounted for that, with larger numbers giving out 1 of A OR C and 1 of B, or something like that. So you could've taken 1 Helvault and done a 108 player tournament, it'd just mean those players would likely each have gotten 1/2 the bonus loot that a 54 person tournament would've.

Mine was 64 players, 62 when accounting for no-shows.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Also, what the hell Wizards, give enough prizes for a base 2 tournament number!

The 54 player cap was based off of players getting 1 of item A, 2 of item B and 1 of item C, as I recall from the scan of the instructions that came with at least one Helvault.

Organizers were, as far as I know, free to run as many people as they wanted, and I believe the instructions even accounted for that, with larger numbers giving out 1 of A OR C and 1 of B, or something like that. So you could've taken 1 Helvault and done a 108 player tournament, it'd just mean those players would likely each have gotten 1/2 the bonus loot that a 54 person tournament would've.

Mine was 64 players, 62 when accounting for no-shows.

Okay, that makes sense.

edited May 2012

Did they perhaps just run four of them?

No one store received more than two Helvaults.

But as others have said, the suggested 54 player cap was based on everyone getting at least one each of two items (spindown die, Commander card) and two each of the other (angel/demon token). Stores could certainly run with more than that and just not give everyone something, treating the Helvault swag as part of the prize pool. Which kind of defeats the purpose behind the promotion in the first place, but that's a personal opinion more than a professional one. Some stores have more top-heavy payouts, some are flatter but deeper.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

I need to vent about my last tourney match.

Ok, I feel better. Thanks for listening!

edited May 2012
    I'm glad my store limited it, otherwise my 0-4 standings would have given me shit and what's the point of the prerelease then lol

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i was glad to get a free spindown at the prerelease

i thought that was pretty cool, i guess

The bigger issue about the 'bigger stores get better shit' is that there are just thousands of towns in the country that have a small enough player base that they cannot get a big event. I mean, fuck, even Seattle, the birthplace of Magic, cannot get a venue together for 100 people. How anyone can think this is okay blows my mind.

edited May 2012
    The bigger issue about the 'bigger stores get better shit' is that there are just thousands of towns in the country that have a small enough player base that they cannot get a big event. I mean, fuck, even Seattle, the birthplace of Magic, cannot get a venue together for 100 people. How anyone can think this is okay blows my mind.
    To qualify to participate as an Advanced retail location, your store needs to do the following (in the preceding 12 months):

Report a minimum of 20 tournaments
    Maintain a delinquency rate of less than 10%
    Have a minimum of 100 unique people playing in your reported events
    Run and report a single tournament with 32 players or more
    Introduce 20 new players to WPN events

They don't need to get a venue for 100. They need to have a venue (or just access to one) that supports 32 for one tournament once (on site, hotel conference room, whatever). They also need a population of 100+ unique attendees across the course of a year, 20 of which need to be new to events, across 20+ events.

FNM alone is ~50 events per year (depending on how holidays land).

Forar on
    IME the new players requirement is always the difficult one, once we clear the 32-player event hurdle. Although I guess I'm a little surprised that we consistently have a unique population of at least 100.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    IME the new players requirement is always the difficult one, once we clear the 32-player event hurdle. Although I guess I'm a little surprised that we consistently have a unique population of at least 100.

Do you just have to qualify once, or is it a continuing process where every year they evaluate your stats and upgrade/downgrade as applicable?