As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sean Bean was impaled in the making of this [CHAT]

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Also the only person I know who plays exclusively plays Commander, and I hate 1v1 Commander.

as you should

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    silas, have you considered playing online? you can play pauper for cheap.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Maz- wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    The only Vanguard really viable on a gold is a Krogan. And then only if you're hosting.

filthy lies

Human Vanguard can be just as viable if you're running with a light weapon and low cooldowns. You might not use Nova as often as on Silver difficulty, but if you can keep charging constantly you'll definitely do well.

also, omigod I'm posting in the [chat] thread

Hello person I've never spoken to before! :)

hey hey

I've always been kinda reluctant to post in here (and in some parts of SE++) because it seemed to me like everyone here knew other and it's always tough to find your place in a social situation like that, be on the internets or the "RL", as the kids call it.

But I figured, eh, why not? What's the worst that could happen?
    oh god what's the worst that could happen? D:

I got two 3TB Hard Drives out of it. It's worth the risk.

Is that all I am to you, RMS? The payoff to your risky investment? :cry:

I'm going to hang out with my real friend, the bee. :bz

I'm sorry! I didn't mean to imply it was all I cared about! :cry:

• Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular

Oh yeah, I forgot about pauper. That's actually an excellent idea. Do they have pauper tournaments? I bet that's hella fun.

Do you play Online?

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Toe shoes are utilikilts for your feet.

Glorious

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I hate Magic Online.

I would play Magic via MWS or Cockatrice, though, if there was an interest.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I kind of want to play Magic again, but the owner of the only hobby store in town died of a heart attack last month.

there's the "duels of the planewalkers" versions for XBLA / Steam. With those you don't get the deckbuilding but they are cheap. 2012 is going on steam for $20 with all the DLC included IIRC.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    What is an inappropriate venue?

Upscale restaurant, fancy party, etc.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

You know, somehow I guessed that would be the reaction.

Mostly by association. The only person I know who wears toe shoes on a regular basis is a socially-awkward shut-in who almost never leaves the house and wears toe shoes in really inappropriate venues.

I know some runners who wear them, but only while running.

the annual International Toe-Phobic Convention

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular

Mostly by association. The only person I know who wears toe shoes on a regular basis is a socially-awkward shut-in who almost never leaves the house and wears toe shoes in really inappropriate venues.

I hate Magic Online.

What do you hate about Magic Online?
    there's the "duels of the planewalkers" versions for XBLA / Steam. With those you don't get the deckbuilding but they are cheap. 2012 is going on steam for $20 with all the DLC included IIRC.

This is a good suggestion. I've pretty much played as much of it as I'm interested in, because of the lack of deckbuilding, but this is something other people who are on the fence about Magic should reallyc onsider. DotP is a real quality TCG video game.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    My life has been getting strange lately. Getting to visit Hi-Rez studios in May, and I just found out a coworker knows someone who used to be pretty big in the Ultima Online community, and they live here now doing some MMO related work.

Guess I'm getting to meet them Saturday (maybe?). (Markee Dragon if that rings any bells)

Ludious on
    I hate Magic Online.

What do you hate about Magic Online?

Mostly? It's expensive, and redemption sucks.

Oh yeah, I forgot about pauper. That's actually an excellent idea. Do they have pauper tournaments? I bet that's hella fun.

Do you play Online?

I used to play a lot of magic online and offline. These days, not so much, though people sometimes ask me to sub in their online accounts if they have to leave or something.

There are pauper tournaments in addition to regular queues. Daily Events (DEs) are run... well... daily. And I think there are premier events too for all formats.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    So, I got some "finger shoes". As someone who thoroughly enjoys walking barefoot, I am digging these things.

They're banned in my gym because there have been reports of people getting their toes caught and subsequently mangled in treadmills, free weights, etc.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    In BC a dude bought his girlfriend a tandem ride in a hang glider as an anniversary present. He was on the ground taping it. Within 30 seconds of launching, she fell off the glider to her death.

Jesus.

that's one way to break up

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    So, I got some "finger shoes". As someone who thoroughly enjoys walking barefoot, I am digging these things.

i own some but only really for the gym

i also own a pair of these other shoes that look like normal old desert boot-ish suede shoes

and no one knows they are barefoot-y

very comfy

poo

Do you play Online?

I used to play a lot of magic online and offline. These days, not so much, though people sometimes ask me to sub in their online accounts if they have to leave or something.

There are pauper tournaments in addition to regular queues. Daily Events (DEs) are run... well... daily. And I think there are premier events too for all formats.

The interface is god-awful, but I'm really impressed with Wizards' support of Magic Online. It's everything I love about Magic without the smell or the need to be available at certain times of the day.

Seriously considering wasting my money away playing draft tourneys all night.

Though the last tournament I played in paid me $200 for top 64! Woooooooooo! Grand Priiiiiiiiiiiiixes!

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

That's because they're running shoes. Wearing them all the time is as weird as wearing any other actual sport gear all the time (rather than "fashion" sportswear)

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    1576611-p-DETAILED.jpg

these

but they look a lot better in person

and are also dirty as hell now so are not colored like that at all

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    Magic Online is also not remotely as polished as a commercial product should be. Sure, it's better than MWS or Cockatrice, but compared to DotP 2012, it's archaic.

They're working on an updated client, but I'm beta-testing it and [REDACTED DUE TO NDA].

Oops, let's just say that I'm not really excited for it.

Magic Online is also not remotely as polished as a commercial product should be. Sure, it's better than MWS or Cockatrice, but compared to DotP 2012, it's archaic.

They're working on an updated client, but I'm beta-testing it and [REDACTED DUE TO NDA].

Oops, let's just say that I'm not really excited for it.

This makes me incredibly sad.

It is somewhat ironic that nerds tend to be the biggest offenders when it comes to judging people for superficial things. You'd think we would have tried to avoid that since so many of us were probably victims of that kind of judgement as kids and were probably made miserable by others judging us as nerds.

Do you play Online?

The interface is god-awful, but I'm really impressed with Wizards' support of Magic Online. It's everything I love about Magic without the smell or the need to be available at certain times of the day.

Seriously considering wasting my money away playing draft tourneys all night.

Playing the game itself on there is fine now. The interface to get to tournaments still blows, yeah. But all in all, it's definitely the game in its purest form. Quite fun.

Maybe I should do some drafts again for old times sake... I'm supposed to help one of our local grinders practice drafts for the upcoming PT this week. Dunno if I can summon the energy to GO SOMEWHERE AND PLAY though.

I forget, can you get points in Magic Online, or can you only do it at real events?

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    @Premier kakos: :bz

This is an apology bee.

I forget, can you get points in Magic Online, or can you only do it at real events?

It has an ELO but I don't think it does anything for you. You used to be able to see peoples but now you can't.

There are actual PTQs on MTGO now.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

Upscale restaurant, fancy party, etc.

The question is, did Kakos' inquiry imply "for toe shoes", or was he questioning the very concept of context - adjusted behavior?

@Premier kakos: :bz

This is an apology bee.

Haha. I was kidding, man. I wasn't offended in the least bit. The fact that we are such a tight knit community is a huge reward from venturing into these dark parts.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i think it's more that nerds are painfully self aware in many ways, and if they see anyone who is not self aware in a way that is even faintly embarrassing, they will scourge them for it

not being aware of how you are perceived is pretty much the greatest social sin in any subcultural group, though

which is kind of why i hate ironic fashion - instead of having the guts to dress in a way you genuinely find attractive and enjoyable, you try to seize control of how you are perceived by consciously choosing something bad and making it plain that you know it's bad, so you can't be accused of looking bad.

Supposedly, Stainless (the DotP people) is the developer working on the new MTGO client.

So hopefully they pull this one out.

Yes, you can earn Planeswalker Points by competing in official events on MTGO.

It is somewhat ironic that nerds tend to be the biggest offenders when it comes to judging people for superficial things. You'd think we would have tried to avoid that since so many of us were probably victims of that kind of judgement as kids and were probably made miserable by others judging us as nerds.

We are liberated from the Geek Social Fallacies.

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    i think it's more that nerds are painfully self aware in many ways, and if they see anyone who is not self aware in a way that is even faintly embarrassing, they will scourge them for it

not being aware of how you are perceived is pretty much the greatest social sin in any subcultural group, though

which is kind of why i hate ironic fashion - instead of having the guts to dress in a way you genuinely find attractive and enjoyable, you try to seize control of how you are perceived by consciously choosing something bad and making it plain that you know it's bad, so you can't be accused of looking bad.

"If you dressed better you could be a hipster" -Some Girl at the Party Last Night

Kind of brilliant!

Psn:wazukki
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    you ain't shit, elendil

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular

I am pretty guilty of "ironic fashion", but I am actually making an effort to redo my wardrobe with things that are actually fashionable

Perhaps. I'm aware of how these things are perceived, but I care more about the functionality of the thing than the perception of it. I own a utilikilt because it is really comfortable when I'm walking around for long periods of times, such as at a convention. I bought these toe shoes because I walk around barefoot 99% of the time and put shoes on when I have to walk over potentially painful surfaces, so why not get shoes that are essentially like walking around barefoot, but also provide the protection that shoes normally afford you?

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular

this is an agreement bee :bz

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    utilikilts are completely ridiculous, to a degree that no amount of utility could justify

This discussion has been closed.