As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SYSTEMS ADMINS & IT MONKEYS] TrackPoint is trademarked. Call it a clit mouse instead.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Moving, rather. From the network folder to another folder on the same drive.

• Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    That move would go through the client (server --> client --> server) so that's the slowdown. Is he on wireless by chance? Do you see the same slowdown if you move the files with RDP from one folder to the next? Is the server onsite or off, gigabit cabling, how many meg are you moving, etc :) ?

Could be files inheriting permissions of the folder they are being dropped into. How taxed is the file server?

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Thanks @uean !
    No prob. I found a ton of errors in it after I made it public *facepalm* but whatever, works for me. uvnc_changesetting.cmd doesn't do anything. I'll fix it someday, I usually bash around in PSTools if I need to make remote changes.

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    uean wrote: »
    That move would go through the client (server --> client --> server) so that's the slowdown. Is he on wireless by chance? Do you see the same slowdown if you move the files with RDP from one folder to the next? Is the server onsite or off, gigabit cabling, how many meg are you moving, etc :) ?

Could be files inheriting permissions of the folder they are being dropped into. How taxed is the file server?

Moving the files in an RDP session is snappy. All gigabit, files are only 100k or so. The server shouldn't be too taxed, I don't think.

• Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    Is there a significant difference between a server and a client antivirus program? It seems like there would be a few things done differently between the two, but I am finding mixed opinions on the matter.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »

Moving the files in an RDP session is snappy. All gigabit, files are only 100k or so. The server shouldn't be too taxed, I don't think.
    At my old job the server that hosted 90% of the stuff I did was in the engineering building, which happened to be the only building that had ethernet instead of a connection running back to the main building. A very bad ethernet connection. File moves in the shares took forever. I'm guessing uean's got the right of it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Does anyone know where the hell I can buy (in Australia, or for reasonable cost overseas) some shipping boxes for hard disks? I've got about 3-4 I need to send back, and I've decided this as good a time as any to figure out where I can get sturdier containers for the task.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The Australia Post shop should have VCR tape sized mailing boxes. An HDD will fit in there, with a bit of room to spare. Good thing they also sell small rolls of bubble wrap...

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    I just finished putting a beefy new server in at our parent company's data-center. It's running a VM for backup services we provide, and VM for web (nginx) and db (postgresql) stuff. Both VM's are running Arch and I could not be happier.

I feel like a happy little clam with my Box of Powerful Hardware and a lightweight yet versatile OS. I kinda feel guilty, because we're not going to be able to come close to maxing out the power that box has (and it's not even a top-of-the-line box).

• Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    Loading up a test VMware server now.

Few things I've noted already.

-VMware's evaluation guide is worthless. It assumes I have 3 hosts + a SAN free to do testing with, so I feel like I'm flying blind to load it up on a standalone machine.

-I had to go hunt down a driver and inject it into the install ISO for an Intel NIC.

-Vsphere client isn't as user-friendly as XenCenter

I understand ESXi is the market leader, but damn. XenServer was stupid easy to get up and running by comparison.

Amen! I'm getting my new stand-alone server tomorrow for some VM work, going to load it with Hyper-V to start and then migrate to ESXi once I manage to get WAY more stick time with it and the new Vcenter (hoping my company will send me to VMworld this year) :D

signature.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Hyper-V? Eeeewwww

Why not just start with ESXi? It's easy peasy.

• Options
    ESXi is yummm. I think I posted about it in here already, but still feeling the pain of bottom of the barrel software RAID setups not getting the RAID recognized by ESXi install :( No workaround for it other than a $500 RAID card!

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Has anyone here set up a RADIUS server?

Is it difficult?

Is there one that integrates with Active Directory? That's cheap/free?

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I think we used OpenRadius/TekRADIUS at work when I worked for what you would call an "ISP."

We basically set up wireless transmitters on a dock so people off shore could get internet. I tied it all into a SQL database, with a payment processor that they could use to sign up before using it. I probably couldn't replicate it again if I tried.

Windows Server has a built in one I think?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SentretSentret Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's built into windows server, works pretty well.

• Options
    Well damn, didn't think to look for it already in windows server. Thanks!

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, ESXi is tits. Managing multiple hosts/clusters is easy as pie with VCenter.

• Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Hyper-V? Eeeewwww

Why not just start with ESXi? It's easy peasy.

I did debate starting with ESXi, but the whole licensing thing for VCenter kind of put a damper on my plans. Since the Hyper-V management tools are free, and we already had a technet account I thought I'd go with what I know and then transition over to ESXi in the near future (plus while I have spent time with ESXi, I'm still not as comfortable using it as I am with Hyper-V)

signature.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Has anyone here set up a RADIUS server?

Is it difficult?

Is there one that integrates with Active Directory? That's cheap/free?
    It's extremely easy, and extremely free*.

Microsoft IAS and NPS are part of the roles available to a server and relate to 2003 and 2008 respectively.

If that doesn't tickle your fancy, then there are a range of radius packages in linux that are available, but they're a pain to integrate with AD.

*Ish.

• Options
    None of you distinguished gentlemen would have experience setting up mirroring of ESET Remote Administration Server instances at satellite locations, would you?

• Options
    ESET like the AV? How do you like the remote monitoring? We're moving all our clients out of Symantec Endpoint Protection (it is HORRIBLE) so looking for options. So far we're using a managed version of Vipre (which is actually pretty awesome, but not too customizable.)

Anyway I can do it with SEPM, deployment is actually very easy. No idea about ESET never used it. SEPM lets you create deployment packages of existing installs and then its just deploying it through a VPN and moving some xml files around.

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    We use Panda Cloud Office Protection and I like it a lot. The management module sits on a Panda hosted website so I don't have to worry about setting up something local. The client install is fire and forget. It's not overly customizable, but it's enough to get the job done.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    ESET like the AV? How do you like the remote monitoring? We're moving all our clients out of Symantec Endpoint Protection (it is HORRIBLE) so looking for options. So far we're using a managed version of Vipre (which is actually pretty awesome, but not too customizable.)

Anyway I can do it with SEPM, deployment is actually very easy. No idea about ESET never used it. SEPM lets you create deployment packages of existing installs and then its just deploying it through a VPN and moving some xml files around.

ESET has been great so far. We had been using Trend Micro, and going to that from Symantec was a breath of fresh air just as going from Trend to ESET was. This mirroring bit is the only thing I've seen difficulty with.

Basically, all our clients' workstations report to our server for AV definition/policy updates. This is fine, except it kills our bandwidth. The plan is to replicate the ESET servers to some of our larger clients and then let them ship out updates over LAN.

• Options
    Oh for fuck's sake!

I just installed an HP wireless controller to manage the 70+ HP WAP's we put in over the summer and I'm going cross-eyed trying to figure this thing out.

I got it set up as far as getting an SSID set up and it allowing people to connect and get to the Internet, but my boss wants 2 SSIDs, 1 for students that just goes to the internet, and the second to be able to get all over the LAN/WAN, but require authentication to connect to for employees. Hence the AD-integrated RADIUS server.

I don't think the RADIUS server is doing anything because I can't connect to anything at all on the SSID using it.

I'm about ready to call MXN to send out a guy to configure it for me because I don't have the time to read yet another manual to figure it all out.

sorry, just needed to vent.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options

ESET has been great so far. We had been using Trend Micro, and going to that from Symantec was a breath of fresh air just as going from Trend to ESET was. This mirroring bit is the only thing I've seen difficulty with.

Basically, all our clients' workstations report to our server for AV definition/policy updates. This is fine, except it kills our bandwidth. The plan is to replicate the ESET servers to some of our larger clients and then let them ship out updates over LAN.

This is where the managed Vipre is amazing. It's through GFI Remote Management, all I do is click 'Edit Site' for a client's location, select a server, and tell it to be a site concentrator. GFI sends the update to all the other DTs and they look at the server from that second forward. It's brilliant.

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    Oh for fuck's sake!

I just installed an HP wireless controller to manage the 70+ HP WAP's we put in over the summer and I'm going cross-eyed trying to figure this thing out.

I got it set up as far as getting an SSID set up and it allowing people to connect and get to the Internet, but my boss wants 2 SSIDs, 1 for students that just goes to the internet, and the second to be able to get all over the LAN/WAN, but require authentication to connect to for employees. Hence the AD-integrated RADIUS server.

I don't think the RADIUS server is doing anything because I can't connect to anything at all on the SSID using it.

I'm about ready to call MXN to send out a guy to configure it for me because I don't have the time to read yet another manual to figure it all out.

sorry, just needed to vent.

You should turn on/check the RADIUS trace logging to see what's going on. I don't remember how to do so off the top of my head, unfortunately.

• Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    Any of you have experience with rackspace cloud servers? I'm moving from a physical server to rackspace and have found that ctrl-c doesn't do anything in my shell on my server... so I can't stop a tail -f, etc. really annoying having to ctrl-z and then look up the pid to kill stuff.

• Options
    Oh God

Brought in to address a "recurring virus issue" on a potential new client's server.

It's running Windows 2000 and something called Rising Antivirus, which appears to be some sort of free Chinese product.

• Options
    SentretSentret Registered User regular
    I would ask them if they have an incinerator on site, or if you'll need to call a disposal service... :>

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Oh God

Brought in to address a "recurring virus issue" on a potential new client's server.

It's running Windows 2000 and something called Rising Antivirus, which appears to be some sort of free Chinese product.

Ha ha ha!

AAAH HA HA HA HA!!

You poor bastard.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Oh God

I'm going to assume you had the heart to heart with them about using a twelve year old, sunsetted, OS and an anti-virus program that is likely a virus itself?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Oh God

Windows 2000, or Windows 2000 Server? Not that it makes that much of a difference at this point.

• Options
    So, we migrated to Office 365 from Hosted Exchange. When we did so, it deleted the ownership of one of our distribution lists. I've been trying to fix it through PowerShell with some guidance from tech support, but they've been fairly useless. I've tried using both "set-group" and "set-distributiongroup" "listname" -managedby "myemail@mydomain.com." It just gives me a "you don't have sufficient permissions. This operation can only be performed by a manager of the group" error message.

Anyone got any suggestions for me? Trying to change it through the GUI just gets me messages that I'm not an owner.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Thanatos wrote: »
    So, we migrated to Office 365 from Hosted Exchange. When we did so, it deleted the ownership of one of our distribution lists. I've been trying to fix it through PowerShell with some guidance from tech support, but they've been fairly useless. I've tried using both "set-group" and "set-distributiongroup" "listname" -managedby "myemail@mydomain.com." It just gives me a "you don't have sufficient permissions. This operation can only be performed by a manager of the group" error message.

Anyone got any suggestions for me? Trying to change it through the GUI just gets me messages that I'm not an owner.

Managedby is only for informational purposes, it has no effect on rights to the group.

Try this to modify memberships:
    Add-ADPermission -Identity <name of distribution group> -User <name of user> -AccessRights ReadProperty, WriteProperty -Properties “Member”

You may need to use:
    -AccessRights GenericAll
    or
    -AccessRights "WriteProperty" -ExtendedRights "Add/Remove self as member"
    or
    Add-ADPermission -Identity <name of distribution group> -Owner <name of user>

if you need more control.

And you may need to specify the global catalog server with -DomainController for the domain where the distribution group is.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    @SiliconStew We're not integrated with ActiveDirectory.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    This do anything for you?
    Set-DistributionGroup <groupname> -ManagedBy <username> –BypassSecurityGroupManagerCheck

Otherwise, check that your user has been assigned the RBAC group "Organization Management" and "Recipient Management"

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Set-DistributionGroup <groupname> -ManagedBy <username> –BypassSecurityGroupManagerCheck

Otherwise, check that your user has been assigned the RBAC group "Organization Management" and "Recipient Management"
    Holy shit, you're the best, @SiliconStew.

That was way too fucking easy for something that took that fucking long to figure out.

• Options
    Thanatos wrote: »

Holy shit, you're the best, @SiliconStew.

That was way too fucking easy for something that took that fucking long to figure out.

Welcome to Exchange Shell

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Hey at least you weren't getting Service unavailable from your SMTP connector because the partition was out of space. Sure would've been nice to see something about that in logs or the event viewer or something.

Feral and I pretty much triple checked everything about the setup and then I moved the mailbox store to the other partition and whooomp there goes the mail!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I want to punch one of the tech's at my ISP in the face. I was having problems getting our static IPs to work, and the guy insisted everything was configured correctly and that my firewall was not.

After 10+ hours on the phone with the firewall techs and the ISP tech they both blamed each other. I had to run a packet sniffer outside the firewall and show the ISP that I was not recieving the ARP packets for my designated IP and that the traceroute was ending at a different place than the IPs that worked.

Finally another tech figured out the problem after I provided my proof and his response was "sorry about that, those IPs were routed weird." :evil:

ghost_master2000 on
This discussion has been closed.