As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] Thread 3 - Rise of the Classy Crabs

• ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    If one had the opportunity to purchase the first Crysis game for a mere five human currency units, should one act on that and make the purchase?

Definitely yes.

steam_sig.png
  • IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    I forgot that mentioning you never played a certain game in the chat room could result in unexpected classy gifts. Many thanks @HallowedFaith (Cloudbomb) for Jade Empire. I have always been curious about this game and it was the only Bioware game I never played. (Other than TOR anyway)

• rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    Jade Empire is probably my favourite Bioware game, have fun @Isorn

steam_sig.png
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    The Daily Deal is Supreme Commander 2 for $5 (-66%).

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I played Jade Empire last week, for the first time in many years. The combat may be a little on the simple side, but it's a game with a lot of charm.

And colour. Colourful games are nice.

And it has this guy:
    ?.jpg

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I played Jade Empire a looong time ago. I remember nothing from it, but I recall enjoying it.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    I played Jade Empire a looong time ago. I remember nothing from it, but I recall enjoying it.

Think... Knights of the Old People's Republic of China

Truly a fantastic game and an underrated gem that I suddenly really want to buy for myself despite owning the Xbox version and it not being on sale. It never goes on sale. You can also buy it through the Xbox Originals Games on Demand on 360 I think.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    I bought Sonic CD in that Gamersgate deal despite already owning the XBLA version. It's definitely my favorite Sonic game, but there are a good number of people who really dislike the level design. I just loved the whole time travel mechanic.

The level design can be weird and awkward and confusing your first time through the game. But as soon as you start doing time trials and speed runs, it suddenly hits you how brilliant it is. Things that otherwise seemed random are part of a path; every level has a flow. That an annoying badnik you always ran into? It was there so you could come off that higher ledge to the left and bounce off it at high speed, allowing you to reach an otherwise inaccessible platform. That series of slopes and conveyor belts? It's there so that you can use it to boost to mach 5.

The level design is really good.

• Dire JayDire Jay Registered User regular
    So I beat Torchlight today. Not quite sure how they balance it. I kicked 100% ass through most of the game, but then the last 5 levels were just constant chugging of pots. I was thinking I should replay on a harder difficulty, but I'm not sure how I would survive those last few levels without totally cheesing. I also was a little bummed that it seemed like loot wasn't really that important.

I would find one good item and it would last me 10 levels easy, to the point where picking up anything that wasnt yellow was pointless.

I had a similar experience to this (using the melee guy...Vanquisher? Destroyer? Can't remember.)

The last boss in particular is a punch in the groin difficulty-wise. I started looking into some interesting mods after finishing it though. It definitely seems like it could have some staying power if I didn't have other things I wanted to get in before the 15th.

steam_sig.png
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    I would love to play with my earphones in all the time. Much better sound IMO with a good set. However then I can't hear my wife when she is yelling at me to do the dishes and she gets pissed off. Even worse now, I can't hear my son if he wakes up. The catch 22 is she always complains my games make stupid noises and annoy her.

Also, Banzai, how good is Trine!

I enjoyed Trine immensely. Was good fun for 14 levels then the last level was nothing like the previous and annoyed me and I just got through it and finished the game. I liked how you could go about solving any of the problems in different ways, though near the end, I had a preferred way of getting to high places, or crossing large gaps. All in all, a very solid game, and has some nice visuals as well. I'm going to fire up Trine 2 in a day or so, and hopefully do it as a 3 player coop.

50433.png?1708759015
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Hit me up for some 3 player coop, it's way fun.

Yea, I never finished Trine because of that last level, I tried a dozen times for more than a dozen sittings and it always ended in rage quiting.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The way they balanced Torchlight is thus

Everything in the game is so easy it can be beaten without spending skill points up until the very end of the game

Also how easy or hard the end is depends on how much you abuse the one or two skills each class has that is leagues above anything else on the skill tree

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I hope they fix some of the serious balance problems for Torchlight 2. Kind of killed any fun in replaying it, or even playing it after you had abused the best skill for long enough.

• ShadeShade Registered User regular
    Many thanks to @Sumanai for making me a Fairy so I can play Solitaire.

• BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Is Lone Survivor any good?

I want to get it but am having a hard time convincing myself that a 2d sidescroller can be scary

steam_sig.png
  • oakkeoakke Registered User regular
    I've been wondering that too. Scary sidescroller doesn't make any sense to me.

steam_sig.png
  • HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    BigDes wrote: »

I want to get it but am having a hard time convincing myself that a 2d sidescroller can be scary

You'd be very surprised. Very few games unsettle me, but this one does. It's really all in the oppressive sound design. It really reminds me of the early Silent Hill games. Anyone who enjoys a good survival horror, shouldn't think twice.

steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Audio is WAY more important than graphics when it comes to horror games. Lone Survivor, Corpse Party, and even Amnesia are all proof of this.

RainbowDespair on
  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    Many thanks to @Sumanai for making me a Fairy so I can play Solitaire.
    Haikira wrote: »
    BigDes wrote: »

You'd be very surprised. Very few games unsettle me, but this one does. It's really all in the oppressive sound design. It really reminds me of the early Silent Hill games. Anyone who enjoys a good survival horror, shouldn't think twice.

The sound and music are great so far. Good enough actually that I'm not playing the game while on so many painkillers because I have a feeling it would terrify me.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    oakke wrote: »
    I've been wondering that too. Scary sidescroller doesn't make any sense to me.

Metroid II: The Return of Samus.

My friend refuses to play the game, because of how freaked out he got. I think the cartridge I have is actually his.

Tamin on
  • CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    According to Steam's Facebook, there's a weeklong deal to celebrate Morrowind's 10th anniversary:

Morrowind and Oblivion are 50% off, ends May 7th. (sweet jesus)

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Hit me up for some 3 player coop, it's way fun.

Yea, I never finished Trine because of that last level, I tried a dozen times for more than a dozen sittings and it always ended in rage quiting.

Will do... Give me a few days to forget the last level of the first game and I should be ready to go for the second.

50433.png?1708759015
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I've recently started trying to collect all the experience in Trine. Been up and down all the levels, but a handful still eludes me. It's driving me mad.

• ThemadcowThemadcow Registered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    The Daily Deal is Supreme Commander 2 for $5 (-66%).

Meh, another few £ goes to the Valve corp bank account. I don't even like the look of it, yet... can't... resist... price...

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    According to Steam's Facebook, there's a weeklong deal to celebrate Morrowind's 10th anniversary:

Not bad, but I'd be able to celebrate a lot better with a Skyrim sale too, steam.

Steam: offday
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »

Not bad, but I'd be able to celebrate a lot better with a Skyrim sale too, steam.

You had your chance a month or so ago. The way that game sold, sales will be few and small.

Morrowind, however, might be a good buy now. I know I had to wait for it to go on sale longer than I anticipated. It never seemed to join the other Bethesda games in summer sales or Quakecon week or whatever.

• VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any knowledge of the quality of Condemned on PC? Worth replacing the 360 version that's been sitting on my shelf, unplayed as of yet, for 8 bucks?

steam_sig.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    If one had the opportunity to purchase the first Crysis game for a mere five human currency units, should one act on that and make the purchase?

Depends on whether one likes fun or not. If so, then proceed with said purchase.

Indeed. Five clams for the best Predator game never made? Good deal.

• DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Vegan wrote: »
    Does anyone have any knowledge of the quality of Condemned on PC? Worth replacing the 360 version that's been sitting on my shelf, unplayed as of yet, for 8 bucks?
    I don't remember having any issues with my copy of the game, but is there something wrong with the 360 version? Why would you re-buy it?

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I just hopped in steam chat and @cloudbomb asked me if I was buying Sniper Elite V2, given how much I've beenr raing about it. Due to recent problems I can't and the sneaky, stealthy, super sniper classily shoots me with a gift of the game! Suffice to say I was blown away by it. He really aimed high with that one and hit his mark.
    I'll stop with the puns now

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular

Depends on whether one likes fun or not. If so, then proceed with said purchase.

Indeed. Five clams for the best Predator game never made? Good deal.

Aside: I stand by the original AvP as a wonderful Predator simulator.
    Mind you, it was a better Colonial Marine simulator - one the upcoming "Aliens: Colonial Marines" would do well to emulate.

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Were gonna need some more sniping partners for Sniper Elite 2. If you plan on picking it up, come on in and say hi.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • aerynkellyaerynkelly nothing to see here, move along Registered User regular

I've been waiting on these. Seems a good time to get em :)

fss_overall.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    anoffday wrote: »

You had your chance a month or so ago. The way that game sold, sales will be few and small.

Morrowind, however, might be a good buy now. I know I had to wait for it to go on sale longer than I anticipated. It never seemed to join the other Bethesda games in summer sales or Quakecon week or whatever.

I did? How much was it a month ago?

Steam: offday
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @iolo is, as everyone knows, a very classy bard, who up and gifted me UFO: Afterlight.

Many thanks, Iolo!

Did the steam store break for anyone else or am I just lucky?

fss_overall.png
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    aerynkelly wrote: »

Looks broken to me too. What did you do to it? :)

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I thought about picking up Napoleon Total War on sale for 5 bucks, but I stopped myself when I realized I have every other Total War game unplayed in my library.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Impressed with the computer version of Toy Soldiers. Everything just feels... better, in comparison to the console version. Looks & runs better, controls better, etc.

Forgot how annoying that goddamn Czar Tank was, though.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    aerynkelly wrote: »

Looks broken to me too. What did you do to it? :)

I just tried to serve the Newell, honest!

fss_overall.png
This discussion has been closed.